16th December 2005, 12:53 PM
:?:

3oneday
16th December 2005, 12:54 PM
:?: :?: :-#

marcel
16th December 2005, 12:55 PM
:x

cricket?? (what do you edxpect from a queenslander :smt037 )

Courty
16th December 2005, 12:56 PM
I assume this is about the cricket?
One of the openers is out for a duck? :?

Ona
16th December 2005, 12:59 PM
Haydos goooorne

miro
16th December 2005, 02:29 PM
ffffnnnn terrible shot to. He yet again needs to pull his head in.

Jarro
16th December 2005, 02:34 PM
doesn't really matter does it, it's only South Africa :smt003

1/96 at lunch. Nice knock from Ponting ... he really does look in good form 8)

Grunt
16th December 2005, 03:48 PM
Langer gone now 2/115, he was really struggling after lunch.

Jarro
16th December 2005, 03:49 PM
stupid shot from Langer. Ball was on him too quickly

Jarro
16th December 2005, 06:38 PM
we're falling in a heap, talk about throwing your wicket away :roll:

Hayden
Langer
Hodge
Hussey
Symonds

all playing terrible shots :x

Ponting and Gilchrist got good deliveries that made them play ordinary shots ....

i wonder if it's a case of underestimating your opposition :?

AndyP
16th December 2005, 06:45 PM
Christ! How many times are they going to have to rely on the tail for runs?

Come on Warney, here's your chance to erase from your memory the 99 against the Kiwis a couple of years ago. Bring on the tonne.

Does Symonds have to do something special with the bat in the 2nd innings to keep his spot?

Jarro
16th December 2005, 06:51 PM
Does Symonds have to do something special with the bat in the 2nd innings to keep his spot?

i'd say so .. otherwise overratedboy will be back in the side :roll:

can't believe how badly our guys are batting :o

Jarro
16th December 2005, 07:38 PM
all out for 258 :smt011

Fishman Dan
17th December 2005, 07:05 AM
Parochial or not - how did Clark miss out on this game?!

Which one is first to go - Symonds, Hodge, or both?

AndyP
17th December 2005, 07:25 AM
Sounds parochial to me. Hasn't done enough to get back in.

Which one is first to go - Symonds (ave 10.50), Hodge (60, 0, 41), or both?
Symonds, why would you drop Hodge?

Fishman Dan
17th December 2005, 08:34 AM
Sounds parochial to me.  Hasn't done enough to get back in.

A double hundred and several quality ODI innings? You're a tough man.

Which one is first to go - Symonds (ave 10.50), Hodge (60, 0, 41), or both?
Symonds, why would you drop Hodge?

Hodge is an actor... and went into this game with an average of 20 at the WACA. Awesome :roll:

terryand
17th December 2005, 08:51 AM
A double hundred and several quality ODI innings? You're a tough man.
Its just a pity his quality ODI innings was in the same game as one of the best knocks in ODI history 8)

Terry.

AndyP
17th December 2005, 09:36 AM
What does pyjama cricket form have to do with test match form?

One great innings won't get Clarke back into the side, he has to prove he can consistently score runs. It's pretty rare that someone gets dropped then come straight back into the test side.

I doubt the selectors pick batsmen for a test based on their domestic batting average at a specific ground. Hodge has had only 3 innings at test level with one hiccup and you are looking to drop him already. Who's a tough man?

terryand
17th December 2005, 09:39 AM

One great innings won't get Clarke back into the side, he has to prove he can consistently score runs.  It's pretty rare that someone gets dropped then come straight back into the test side.

I doubt the selectors pick batsmen for a test based on their domestic batting average at a specific ground. Hodge has had only 3 innings at test level with one hiccup and you are looking to drop him already.  Who's a tough man?

Sick him Rex :lol:

Terry.

markTHEblake
17th December 2005, 10:39 AM
the aussie selectors have usually shown that new players get at least 6 tests to show their worth, and dropped players have a bloody long wait to get back in.

i'd say if the status quo continues the last test might see another middle order bat tried out.

and when will Gilly be dropped to #9? :D surely Lee and Warne have outscored him for the last series or 3.

Fishman Dan
17th December 2005, 02:54 PM

One great innings won't get Clarke back into the side, he has to prove he can consistently score runs.  It's pretty rare that someone gets dropped then come straight back into the test side.

I doubt the selectors pick batsmen for a test based on their domestic batting average at a specific ground. Hodge has had only 3 innings at test level with one hiccup and you are looking to drop him already.  Who's a tough man?

Settle Tiger.

Just shows that he's getting a lot of willow on the ball, and been pretty tough to get out. He's in a decent vein of form, it doesn't matter which type of game.

If they're not going to select a team based on 'track record', what else do they have to work with? It should speak volumes.... :roll:  This current mob obviously don't consider that, they are also responsible for making Ponting captain.

I think you've got feelings for Hodge... :-k

I never wanted him in the team in the first place, i'd be happy if he was dropped after 1 test with a double-hundred.

AndyP
17th December 2005, 03:56 PM
Sick him Rex

Settle Tiger.
You guys obviously read into the demeanor of a post more than I do. I'm sure if I added smilies it would make it all better. ;) :roll: :cool:

My opinion is that one day cricket is totally different to tests, so any form in the game, especially on tiny grounds in NZ, should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think you've got feelings for Hodge...

I never wanted him in the team in the first place, i'd be happy if he was dropped after 1 test with a double-hundred.
Yes, but it's obvious you feel the opposite. I don't have any issues with Clarke, and hope he continues with his form for NSW, and gets back in the side.

Fishman Dan
17th December 2005, 03:59 PM
Warne has found himself a new "Darrell".

The sledging has begun.

terryand
17th December 2005, 04:04 PM

The sledging has begun.

he's giving it to him, isn't he :lol:

Terry.

Jarro
17th December 2005, 04:06 PM

The sledging has begun.

Terry.

god bless those stump mic's ..... they don't miss a thing do they :lol:

terryand
17th December 2005, 04:08 PM

The sledging has begun.

Terry.

god bless those stump mic's ..... they don't miss a thing do they  :lol:

Yeah,its good to see them letting some of the chat come through.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
17th December 2005, 04:39 PM
He was standing next to Bucknor when he was mouthing off, and he was smiling at what was being said too.

Grunt
18th December 2005, 10:44 AM
Has Hayden played his last test innings?
Does anyone else think the way he got out in was the dumbest shots for the situation, less than an over to go in the days play and he plays that shot :roll:
I was watching it at dinner last night at work and was thinking everytime he swung the bat he may be out. He seems to be only able to score off the pull shot, his time might just be up, lets try a new bloke.
It was not that long ago in England that he was dead and a 100 in the last test saved him. Don't bring the West Indies into it as their bowling is not up to topline test standard, the South Africans have worked him out.
If he lasts longer than this test series the selectors have lost all credibility after dropping other players way sooner than this guy, Martyn, Katitch, Clarke, Bichel, Kasprowich etc.

3oneday
18th December 2005, 12:06 PM
Has Hayden played his last test innings? dropping other players way sooner than this guy, Martyn, Katitch, Clarke, Bichel, Kasprowich etc.he'll survive well into next year, he scores some runs and gets carried away, that's all. He has scored over 1,000 test runs in the calender year. His shots to get out just look really bad, bit like Mark Waugh used to.

They gotta do something about that middle order though, if Symonds makes 100 he'll stay, but more chance he'll fail again and go. Do they bring back Clarke lower down for a while ???

Pete

AndyP
18th December 2005, 07:16 PM
Has Hayden played his last test innings?
No.

It was not that long ago in England that he was dead and a 100 in the last test saved him. Don't bring the West Indies into it as their bowling is not up to topline test standard, the South Africans have worked him out.
You forgot the Supertest, and he won't be dropped for sometime.

It has certainly been a disappointing perfomance from him in this test. I thought he had learnt his lesson, and was starting to keep his head down to work his way into an innings, not this slogfest shit.

They gotta do something about that middle order though, if Symonds makes 100 he'll stay, but more chance he'll fail again and go. Do they bring back Clarke lower down for a while ???
Symonds mighn't need a century, Hodge and Hussey are going along quite nicely ATM. Hodge has tripled his WACA average so far.

Apparently Langer might be out for a few weeks with a hammy injury, therefore missing the next two tests.
Hussey to open, Clarke back into the side? Jacques? Cosgrove? Interesting.....

Jarro
18th December 2005, 07:24 PM
personally i think there's a bit of pressure building on Gilchrist to make some runs ..... it's been a while in either form of the game since he's made a decent knock :?

Fishman Dan
18th December 2005, 07:39 PM
I've missed this last session, just got home now. I like the look of this Hodge knock, he had to know that he was in the firing line with a failure, and Australia facing a loss if he went cheap.

AndyP
18th December 2005, 07:40 PM
personally i think there's a bit of pressure building on Gilchrist to make some runs ..... it's been a while in either form of the game since he's made a decent knock :?
He had a couple of great innings in the Super Series ODIs against the World XI, with one or two BOGs. Unfortunately it was shortlived.

They persevered with Hayden for ages, I would expect the same and more for Gilchrist.

Bruce
18th December 2005, 09:11 PM
Hodge and Hussey bat well together. Not just smacking them around but running them ragged at the same time. A great partnership.

I didn't realise just how poor Symo's test batting average was. 10.5!! That's shithouse and he didn't even bowl in the first innings. So much for this all-rounder caper.

Jarro
19th December 2005, 12:47 PM
Hussey has gone early, pity as he was looking good at the end of play yesterday 8) very solid 58 runs from him.

Symonds is off to his usual shaky start :roll:

Hodge is on 98 and i've got my fingers crossed for him :wink:

Jarro
19th December 2005, 12:50 PM
great 100 to Hodge =D>

Bruce
19th December 2005, 04:47 PM
Hodge's WACA average might be alright now. Double Ton!! Well done son!

BrisWesty
19th December 2005, 05:08 PM
Mmmm, that Hodge, what a pretender :wink:.
Andrew Symonds improved his average, but perhaps not enough.

Fishman Dan
19th December 2005, 10:00 PM
Great double-hundred. Drop him.

:lol:

Jarro
20th December 2005, 05:20 AM
looks like Langers injury will help ease the selection dilema (for now)

Hussey to open with Hayden, Clarke to come into the side .... simple :wink:

Grunt
20th December 2005, 06:14 AM
How about giving Phil Jaques ago at the top?, that puts Hayden under pressure to perform and at the same time bloods a new opener. He is the best opening bat in the country at the moment and if he handles it then there is no reason to worry about dropping Hayden for the 3rd test.

Will have to see if Symonds gets a bowl today and plays as an all rounder, if not there is no reason for him to be in the side in Melbourne and Clarke should slot straight back into the side.
I think Brett Lee's performances with the bat over the past few tests have shown he is batting just as well if not better than any of teh all rounders they have thrown into the side. We don't need this must have all rounder in the side at the moment.

Fishman Dan
20th December 2005, 06:26 AM
May as well lose Symonds for MacGill, Langer for Clark. While we're at it, Hayden for Jacques, and Thornely for Hussey and Haddin for Gilchrist.

That's looking much better ;)

Grunt
20th December 2005, 06:27 AM
Sounds good Dan, a Full NSW would be unbeatable :lol:

Jarro
20th December 2005, 06:31 AM
.. maybe we should just make Fishy and Grunt National selectors.

how could we lose a game then :roll:

what do they say, opinions are like assholes ..... everybody has one :lol:

Grunt
20th December 2005, 06:53 AM
I wish I could fish as well as this for real, bites this quick are unheard of, the line was only just wet :lol:

Jarro
20th December 2005, 08:04 AM
don't flatter yourself grunt .... doesn't take much to get me wound up when you are talking about NSW'elshman :P

Jarro
20th December 2005, 04:40 PM
SuthAfrikaaaans are digging their heels in ..... no wickets have fallen in the middle session so far with 1/2 hour till the tea break.

Warney's gonna have to do something pretty special in the last session if we're to win this one.

AndyP
20th December 2005, 05:04 PM
Warney's gonna have to do something pretty special in the last session if we're to win this one.
What about Brett Lee? Isn't he meant to be a great bowler?

BrisWesty
20th December 2005, 05:10 PM
Don't tell me Rudolph is going to save the day just before Christmas. :roll:

Trung
20th December 2005, 06:50 PM
did we batted too long last night for Hodge 200s?

If we draw this game, its good bye to personal milestone from now on.

AndyP
20th December 2005, 07:58 PM
Yes.

As long as Ponting is captain, it will be more of the same.

Steve Waugh probably would have set them 350 to 400 to at least give them a sniff, making them play a bit more attacking, and hence give more chances of taking wickets.

Moe Norman
20th December 2005, 10:29 PM
400 should have been the target. But I doubt it would have made a massive difference.

Lee is still average, Bracken can produce the odd gem but needs to be more consistent, Warne can't do everything and MacGrath just isn't the same bowler without Dizzy at the other end bolwing 2 or 3 unplayable deliveries an over.

markTHEblake
21st December 2005, 12:16 AM

now who was the captain of a leading test cricket nation that criticised Brian Lara for batting on not declaring until he had scored scored 400*

"It's hard to imagine an Australian player doing it, just because of the way we play our cricket. It's generally not the way we play,"

"They ran out of time in the game -- that's not the way the Australian team plays."

what a boofhead.

Jarro
21st December 2005, 05:51 AM
how come MacGrath didn't bowl much on the final day :?:

was he injured or something :smt017 I thought Lee bowled pretty poorly yesterday too ... didn't make the batsman play enough. Kaspa would've had 'em in a tangle :wink:

3oneday
21st December 2005, 06:18 AM
I think Ponting was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. The question that should be asked is if they had an extra hour at them, would they have won ???

No, no, no. If Bracken is the 2nd best seamer in this country we've got serious problems. :? :?

They should have played MacGill, and should continue to play MacGill. The whole team is riddled with issues at the moment, too inconsistent in their performances. :x

Pete

Grunt
21st December 2005, 06:26 AM
I can't remember which commentator said it but they were showing Warne looking worn out looking to the sky to which the commentator said Warne is asking "where is Stuart Macgill?"

3oneday
21st December 2005, 06:43 AM
I can't remember which commentator said it but they were showing Warne looking worn out looking to the sky to which the commentator said Warne is asking "where is Stuart Macgill?"Yep, it was pretty late in the day, he was just starting his 300th over :lol: :lol:

The pitch was a batting paradise, but Warne was turning it on day two, imagine what Magilla would have done !! anyway, fish and chip wrapping now !!

Pete

Fishman Dan
21st December 2005, 06:47 AM

Yes, and that was greedy. Drop him. There's no "I" in "Team".

Clark back in.

I have no idea how Symonds gets another test. He added nothing to the team - although he does have Ponting to thank for that in part.

We've screwed up there, Kallis comes back for the 2nd Test.

3oneday
21st December 2005, 06:55 AM

Yes, and that was greedy. Drop him. There's no "I" in "Team".

Clark back in.

I have no idea how Symonds gets another test. He added nothing to the team - although he does have Ponting to thank for that in part.

We've screwed up there, Kallis comes back for the 2nd Test.did you miss something Dan, Jaques is in.

Pete

Grunt
21st December 2005, 06:59 AM
Got this funny feeling that SA will win in Melbourne & draw sydney to win the series.

Jarro
21st December 2005, 07:10 AM
hopefully this Jaques fella will provide a bit of much needed spark at the top of the batting order... he has a pretty good record in Pura Cup cricket, so fingers crossed that form will carry over to the BIGTIME

what about if they played MacGill in Melbourne and dropped Bracken 8)

AndyP
21st December 2005, 08:56 AM
what about if they played MacGill in Melbourne and dropped Bracken  8)
Get rid of Symonds instead.  He's shit-house.

Jarro
21st December 2005, 08:59 AM
Get rid of Symonds instead.  He's s#$%-house.

doesn't look like they have any plans to do that in the near future.

3oneday
21st December 2005, 09:07 AM
Get rid of Symonds instead.  He's s#$%-house.

doesn't look like they have any plans to do that in the near future.personally I think Symonds is worth persisting with at least until the end of the series, if he does come good, like he eventually did in the one day form, he will be great. Remember it took a while for him to cement his spot in the other form too.

Surely the Johnson bloke and Lewis would be better choices than Bracken though ??

Pete

Jarro
21st December 2005, 09:13 AM
Surely the Johnson bloke and Lewis would be better choices than Bracken though ??

have to agree with you there old fella.

Bracken just doesn't butter my bread :? he can swing the ball if there is a bit there for the bowlers.. if not, he's pretty ordinary in my opinion.

Lets get a couple more young tearaways in the squad ... start thinking outside the square... and most importantly, get DK Lillee back in the fold as bowling coach to nurture these young fellas along.

Courty
21st December 2005, 09:15 AM
Lets get a couple more young tearaways in the squad ...

When is Tait back in action?

Grunt
21st December 2005, 09:16 AM
He will be fit for the SA Tour I think.

AndyP
21st December 2005, 09:16 AM
I think you should at least earn the selectors persistence. As Hayden and Gilchrist have.
Symonds has done very little to get into the side, and very little once he is in the side. It's a gamble they don't need to take. There are plenty of guys who can take his spot as a batter.

Jarro
21st December 2005, 09:21 AM
at the moment, i don't think our problem is making runs ... so Symonds can be afforded the luxury of finding his feet in the Test side.

It'd be hard to find anyone in australian cricket at the moment with as much potential as him at the moment ..... hard to drop a guy who can turn a game on it's head with some awesome power hitting.

Grunt
21st December 2005, 09:24 AM
at the moment, i don't think our problem is making runs ...

Is'nt Symonds in the side as an all rounder? He aint getting a bowl at the moment. So either Ponting does not rate him as a Bowler or he forgets he is in the side. Why not Drop symonds & bring in Macgill & also keep a 3rd Seamer (Bracken,Gillespie etc.)

AndyP
21st December 2005, 09:26 AM
If the side is being picked on potential and not actual form, that changes everything...

Jarro
21st December 2005, 09:27 AM
it's hard to really work out what Ponting thinks these days Grant. I certainly would've bowled Symonds more on the last day ... the wicket certainly wasn't helping the quicks much :?

3oneday
21st December 2005, 09:46 AM
If the side is being picked on potential and not actual form, that changes everything...wasn't that why they were picking Watson ??

AndyP
21st December 2005, 09:50 AM
I thought Watson had showed form with the bat, but bowling has always been a bit iffy.

Grunt
21st December 2005, 11:23 AM
Ponting stuffs up (http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17627250-23209,00.html)

Grunt
21st December 2005, 11:27 AM
Symonds' Repreive (http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17627254-23212,00.html)

Moe Norman
21st December 2005, 06:04 PM
wasn't that why they were picking Watson ?? actually no, thats why they picked clarke though, and back in the day thats also why the picked Steve Waugh. At the time Clarke made his test debut his first class average was 37. Watson's was 51 (bowling ave was 28), Hodge's was 45, Both Hussey's had 50+ averages as well, not to mention Love (he is now like the Duval of cricket) and a few other quality players with quality records around the traps.

Clarke was picked on potential and it paid off early, then he got hyped too much, undeservedly won the AB medal due to the crappy media vote system and Martyn being rested from one-dayers and it all got too much. Had they just left him at 5/6 not hailed him as the next Walters, he'd probably still be in the side and actually making a contribution.

markTHEblake
21st December 2005, 06:21 PM
nice article Grunt.

History showed him he didn't need to bat for so long as the highest score to win in Australia by a touring team was England's 7-332 76 years ago.

History also shows that no team has ever lost a match when defending more than 420 runs - Ponting should know that, he already holds that record for the biggest loser in both test and one day.

Its funny that Waugh seemed to have the knack of batting on to about lunch on day 5 and still get the 10 wickets. His strategy was to bat the other team entirely out of the game, whereas other captains seem to set a large 4th innings but still allow the other team a sniff, so that they will actually play strokes.

Ponting doesnt seem to know whether he is arthur or martha

Fishman Dan
21st December 2005, 11:20 PM
Ponting doesn't know how/when to ring the changes. That middle session was a disgrace, and to finally bowl Symonds (and Hodge?!) in the final session was the act of a desperate man.

Interesting to hear the chatter on Sports Tonight - all Ponting could talk about was defending the decision for a bloke to chalk up a milestone, but McGrath made the point that any Aussie team should bowl out the opposition in 130 overs. 2 different ways of looking at the same issue.

It wasn't your average WACA pitch either, seemed to get flatter as the game went on.