PDA

View Full Version : Any rating on Callaway X 14 ??

3oneday
28th June 2004, 12:22 PM
My brother is suggesting I get a set of these off him, apparently Callaway are pushing them cheaply out the door as old stock. Not X14 Pro, just X14.

Any ideas ? or should I just keep my money for more ho'ing 8) 8) (X14 idea came after he sold the 580XD for me :smt038 )

Pete

markTHEblake
28th June 2004, 02:57 PM
if you can afford replacing all the shafts and getting the lies and lofts adjusted properly then go for it.

3oneday
28th June 2004, 03:03 PM
MTB,

I read somewhere about lofts and lies, the shafts are supposed to adjust to your swing, all sounds a bit funny.

Checked it out on GolfReview.com, personal experience ??

Pete

kwantfm
28th June 2004, 04:40 PM
Lies are pretty hard to adjust on Callaways as they have a bore through design. Usually can't get more than one degree out of them.

jaster
28th June 2004, 05:05 PM
Annika uses X14s still, must be alright ;)

gazgolf1
28th June 2004, 05:13 PM
Depends if you like big time offset. :?

AndyP
28th June 2004, 05:20 PM

Gaz, do you mind if I look back through your posting history to see how many double posts you have. :wink:
What's going on? :?

gazgolf1
28th June 2004, 05:43 PM
Don't know,I'm usually pretty careful but it seems to happen a lot. :?

jaster
28th June 2004, 07:25 PM
Great picture Blakey :lol:

No more double post here :)

markTHEblake
28th June 2004, 07:32 PM
I read somewhere about lofts and lies, the shafts are supposed to adjust to your swing, all sounds a bit funny.

Callaways amongst other major brand names have reputation for poor manufacturing tolerances, and cheap shafts. Ie they allow a 2 degree tolerance in the loft of your clubs. there is only 4 degrees between two clubs, so do the math on that, you end up with possibly two 7 irons.

The same goes for shaft flex. my brothers titleists had not one shaft flex matching another, and 9 iron and wedge was 1 degree apart.

Otherwise if you get your clubs from an assembler he will guarantee your shafts match and the lofts and lies are exact - not within tolerances. Also a quality assembler will be able to assess your swing and provide you with the exact shaft flex to suit your game.

If you were getting married would you buy your new suit by mail order and standard off the rack sizes, and expect that it fits perfect. Or go to the tailor and get the only suit in the world that fits you like a glove.

goughy
28th June 2004, 07:41 PM
I had a hit of a big bertha 5 wood at our demo day up here. It had their uniflex steel shaft. I asked the guy what flex it was. He said it adjust for your swing speed. The faster you swing the stiffer it is. The slower you swing, the more flexible it is. :^o Don't know how effective it is.

McMw
28th June 2004, 10:05 PM
a GBB2 PS is on its way to me...and I only bought it coz it had a non-oem shaft in it...

got it at a great price too (I think)... 8)

3oneday
30th June 2004, 10:18 AM
How about this - TourStage Z101, bro also has these, ex demo, now these look great, forged cavity, think they were in Applebys bag at one time.

Pete

kwantfm
30th June 2004, 10:49 AM
Pete,

The Tourstage gear looks very sweet. For a guy who strikes it like you do I think the Z101s will be better than the Callys. Also no problem adjusting loft and lie.

goughy
30th June 2004, 05:40 PM
That tourstage stuff is sweet sweet sweet.

Our club has some of it in. The z101's are fantastic. They have had no interest in the stuff at all. Sold a couple of drivers and fairway's, but not even a sideways glance at the irons :shock: . Mightn't help that the pro-shop has this tourstage stuff, then the next best line is pro-line clubs (slight exageration but not by much).

Someone there was telling me they were maybe gonna soon sell the tourstage stuff off at about cost to get rid of it. 8)

3oneday
1st July 2004, 06:22 AM
Same story with my bro, this is a demo set that have been out about 5 times, too many retirees where he is who WOULDN"T buy a set they haven't heard of. Anyway, maybe to my benefit.