PDA

View Full Version : Queensland Open Pre-qualifier

TheTrueReview
6th June 2013, 04:40 PM
I see that the Queensland Open is scheduled for 22-25 August 2013 at the Brookwater Golf and Country Club and that it is open to male amateur golfers whose Australian Handicap does not exceed 4.4 strokes under the Australian Handicapping System.

The pre-qualifying rounds are being played on Monday, August 19 at Ipswich and Virginia Golf Clubs. Just thought that given the abundance of low markers here a few would be interested in having a bash at the pre-qualifier. (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001KQZkKik05QlhIcJ9xLIum49TO2r9qLG6ZD9_VL 9Nh-e-XI4yGQH51lxJnn6Jsuos8f92cdLu8-1kHbFK-KhriTYK2LLrO34M6066bU-UJv_YZiBRNtTCORteUt0gr9ugMJ3nickBmUcT8aeEzP13Ba0h8 VoTeqQxUkdaOKbMLpLi2KtKzcxy0Rm-GqsdXTFkfKrCPAkHy3w=)

markTHEblake
6th June 2013, 05:56 PM
Thought about it already. Will cost a day off work and $54 to play Virginia and if I play the round of my life I have to discard my cheat wedges.

petethepilot
6th June 2013, 07:03 PM
A long time ago (1982), I pre-qualified for the Queensland Open. It was a proper Australian tour event in those days and was played that year at RQ. The draw cards for the event were (obviously) the Shark and interestingly, Gary Player (only 4 years after he had won the US Masters). Pre-qualifying was also at Virginia on the Monday before the event. On a windy rainy day, I chipped and putted my way around for a 71 and managed to qualify 11 out of 105 qualifiers (15 spots were available). 9 out of the 15 spots went to amateurs which shows the depth of the monday qualifiers (about 80 pro's) and the challenge a lot of them had with QLD greens in those days!

When I got to RQ for practice, the gulf between Tournament golf and amateur golf was clearly evident. I had played RQ heaps so it had no fears for me...until I played it! The greens were about 4 yards quicker than I was used to and the greens were seriously firm. Come the tournament, I teed it up with a high level Kiwi Pro and an up and coming Victorian. I was about 4 groups in front of the Shark! To say I was shitting myself would be an understatement. Never looked like making a putt till the 36th hole (my only birdie). Shot 78/76 to miss the cut by about 10 shots! Norman shot 24 under that week to win by 5 or 6. I couldn't believe how anyone could shoot a score like that. It showed to me how hard the US Open courses are when only a few under or even par wins!!!

Best thing about it was I got in for free and got to experience what a real Pro tournament was like. It certainly showed me how good some of the Pro's are. Have a go guys because it is a great experience if you make it inside the ropes!

pete

spanner039
6th June 2013, 07:10 PM
Great story Pete ! Do you remember who you played with?

backintheswing
6th June 2013, 07:54 PM
Pete was that 82 or 83. It's just that I came second in the 15-16 age group Gary Player classic in 83. It was played in June, but the first 2 in each age group were invited back to Pacific in September or October whenever the Qld open was on at RQ to meet Gary Player.

Pacific staged an awesome dinner and presentation on the Saturday night and all the guns attended (shark, grades, ibf etc) The 6 juniors got to sit with Gary Player at the dinner and I of course got his autograph etc.

We were also allowed to play a practice round at RQ on the Tuesday before, and I played with the shark.

I am sure it was 1983, but could be wrong.

petethepilot
6th June 2013, 08:56 PM
BITS, I'm pretty certain it was 82 but it could have been 83. Pretty much all QLD opens around that time were at RQ. 83 was my last year at Uni so more likely 82 due to study requirements (not that I studied much!). I came 7th (in the 18 to 21 year) in the 82 Gary Player. I was a member of Pacific at the time as well. I also believe that GP only played in the QLD open because the organisers agreed to give his son (Wayne Player) an invite as well. He was just embarking on an unsuccessful Pro career.

Good memories. I certainly had a short game then! I also remember the carry over the big tree on 10 at RQ was pretty daunting with a Persimmon driver!

markTHEblake
6th June 2013, 09:09 PM
Interesting that I played in that Gary Player ! I don't remember you blokes but I remember some cheeky snots though!

backintheswing
6th June 2013, 09:12 PM
The year I came second in the 15/16 age group, Stevie Taylor won it. I will drag out a scrapbook if I can find them.

markTHEblake
6th June 2013, 09:16 PM
Steve Taylor is my age! We were both in Gr 12 in 83. So I don't think he would have been 16 then.

timah!
6th June 2013, 09:17 PM
You're all old...

;) :lol:

petethepilot
6th June 2013, 09:18 PM
82 was a good year for me. I came third in the QLD state junior held at the old Indro. Made the state junior squad (but not the team). I was also Junior Captain at Pacific so had to keep young snots (like you Blakey) in line :)

Pete

backintheswing
6th June 2013, 09:20 PM
Ok it was 82 then. I have no idea. It makes more sense though, because I remember having a terrible second semester report card in gr 11 which was 82 for me.

I was away so much for golf the teachers didn't know who I was .

backintheswing
6th June 2013, 09:21 PM
Was 82 the year Richie Blackwell won the playoff for the qld junior. I played in that as well.

shazza_rs
6th June 2013, 09:23 PM
What Timah said ;)

markTHEblake
6th June 2013, 09:32 PM
Was 82 the year Richie Blackwell won the playoff for the qld junior. I played in that as well. Dunno about 82, but I walked the last 9 with Bacchus in 84 when he won it at Old Indro but wasn't in a playoff. Dunno who came 2nd but Todd Power was also in the last group.

petethepilot
6th June 2013, 09:40 PM
No it was won by a small blonde guy from Virginia (Brett ....I'm trying to remember!). i played in the last 3 with him but he had me covered all day. I think Richard Backwell (not Blackwell) won in 84. Backwell could chip/putt with the best and Todd Power could just flat out play!

petethepilot
6th June 2013, 09:43 PM
I just remembered......Brett Kirby. Really nice guy and a very solid player!

markTHEblake
6th June 2013, 09:49 PM
Pete, be careful what you say about Bacchus. :-). Just recently he told me he googled his name once and found me mentioning his name. Thank god I said something nice for a change.

He striped it around that last 9 at St Lucia there was no chipping and putting.

petethepilot
6th June 2013, 10:23 PM
Didn't say he couldn't hit it. He could, just that his short game was as good as I have seen, Pro's included! One of the few guys I have seen who genuinely tried to chip in all the time (and was successful regularly)! Todd Power , on the other hand had a great game tee to green but never quite matched it on or around the greens! drive for show/putt for dough!

Richard has had a relatively successful career in Asia I believe. An old mate from the ADF has caddied for him quite a bit, both in australia and asia.

PTP

markTHEblake
6th June 2013, 10:40 PM
I must ask him to tell some stories about you next time I see him.

petethepilot
6th June 2013, 11:02 PM
He won't have any on me. I was a bit player, out of my league with those guys! I knew very early on that golf was only ever going to be a pastime. Richard B and Todd Power were good enough to have a career in it, if the breaks went their way! Luck can be fickle at times!

Richard's caddy is a guy called Jeff Skinner. Jeff was/is a solid player and a good bloke ......for an Army guy!

markTHEblake
6th June 2013, 11:11 PM
Did either of you know Pat O'Hara from Sunshine Coast. He was also a bit of a gun and same age as you Pete.

I wasn't even a bit player. Just a 5 chopper from the country who had no idea how to play in the big time. In that 84 event I parred the front 9 then still figured out how to miss the cut after 18.

petethepilot
6th June 2013, 11:37 PM
Sorry Blakey, I didn't know him although lots of good players have come from the coast.

BTW, go to bed Blakey! I'm only awake because I'm jet lagged!!!

markTHEblake
6th June 2013, 11:48 PM
I am searching for airfares back from Singapore in jan. stuff me they have all doubled in the last week !

petethepilot
7th June 2013, 10:38 AM
Try Scoot Singapore/Sydney then Jetstar SYD/HBT

markTHEblake
7th June 2013, 11:14 AM
Comedian!

petethepilot
7th June 2013, 11:36 AM
Ok, forget the Hobart bit! :) Scoot (Singair's low cost carrier) fly into Brisso Blakey. I think their pricing is pretty competitive.

Pete

markTHEblake
7th June 2013, 01:13 PM
Scoot only does Sydney and GC. Have flown them before, very good.
I already grabbed tickets from GC to singers for $180. Now I got to get back (from JKT).

Shane788
8th June 2013, 03:06 PM
Scoot only does Sydney and GC. Have flown them before, very good.
I already grabbed tickets from GC to singers for $180. Now I got to get back (from JKT).

Is that Steve Taylor your talking about 1 of 3 brothers that are all pro golfers? From Qld

backintheswing
8th June 2013, 03:11 PM
Yes mate. I think he has the driving range near you, or did.

Gun golfer in his day.

petethepilot
8th June 2013, 06:03 PM
Robbie, Jerry and Stevie Taylor. Gerry was probably the best performed at a Pro level ...but Steve could really play! Robbie had a reputation as a very good teacher!

Pete

markTHEblake
8th June 2013, 06:34 PM
Yes. Steve Taylor won absolutely everything when he was 17-20 and then some.

Shane788
8th June 2013, 07:20 PM
Yes Steve taylor owns the driving range here and chris Taylor and Gerry Taylor are the pros at the club, Gerry had some good highlights of his early pro career, leading the British open after first round and few other top events with greats like seve.