PDA

View Full Version : Help me, I want to break 80

Leon Phelps
6th June 2013, 03:07 PM
3 years ago I bought my first set of clubs and joined my local golf club. I played a few times as a teenager but only 5 or 6 times, so 3 years ago is when I have "taken" up the sport.
Got my first handicap 29/7/10 @ 21.1
9/7/11 @ 21.0
21/7/12 @ 14.2
5/6/13 @ 12.3

I changed golf clubs (Moss Vale) in April last year and as part of our membership you get a couple of lessons from our pro, which I had in November last year.
These lesson have really helped me, and my ball striking has dramatically improved.

One thing that I would like to improve on is my scoring. I am yet to break 80, but I will shoot in the low-mid 80's very regularly. I have an equal best round of 81 (par 71) and some 82's and 83's etc
I can still have the odd shocker of a round, and my equal worst scores around my home track is a 96.

I truly feel I am on the verge of a good round. I just can't seem to combine two good 9 holes together.
Here is my golf shot from yesterday.

I got to the 9th to add up my partners score, and saw my own and almost immediatley it screwed with my thoughts.
Gone were the smooth, almost automatic swing thoughts in my pre shot routine, and subsequently during my swings same, same.
I was at the finish line half way around the track, and it fell apart.

I have played each of the 9 holes at my course at 2 over as my best scores, but unfortunately not in the same round.
Here are my stats over the last 2 years of using Golfshot:
Driving Accuracy: Hit: 39.1%, Miss Left: 26.7%, Miss Right: 34.2%
GIR: 29.8%
Scrambling: 19.6%, Sand Saves: 11.4%
Putting: Per Hole: 1.82, Per GIR: 2.05

I really need improvement across my entire game, as the stats don't lie.
On any given day I have a strong part of my game, and a noticably weaker part, but then the next round it can be reversed totally.
It's actually starting to get to me a little.
I would really like to know mentally how the low markers stay in the moment and don't "scoreboard watch".

Looking forward to breaking 80, one day
Ads

Ferrins
6th June 2013, 03:46 PM
Work on parring all the par 5 holes by coming in with a 9 iron. Then work on parring all the short par 4's with similar approach.

markTHEblake
6th June 2013, 03:50 PM
Practice daily and read Jack Nicklaus Golf my Way until you know it off by heart. and don't listen to any of the dribble on below here.

Captain Nemo
6th June 2013, 03:58 PM
Maybe take this guys approach...
http://thedanplan.com/

Dotty
6th June 2013, 04:18 PM
Go and play at Mona Vale, site of my only round under 80 in the last 43 golflink rounds.

Ferrins
6th June 2013, 06:24 PM
Practice daily and read Jack Nicklaus Golf my Way until you know it off by heart. and don't listen to any of the dribble on below here. Got that book and it is good but not as good as "Get to single figures in 10 weeks.":)

BenM
6th June 2013, 06:32 PM
I have been where you are... played off 10-13 for about 7 months (and it felt like a lot longer) without ever breaking 80, despite shooting low 80s plenty.

First thing is just to not think about it. I vividly remember holing a 6 footer for a 79 just before Christmas and I was shitting my dacks over that putt. Just enjoy it, don't put too much pressure on yourself, and the scores will come.

Second thing, for me, was to improve my short game. You might be different, you might be an average ball striker but getting up and down from everywhere, I was the opposite, I was finding I was pretty accurate with all my irons (and even my driver, at that stage) but couldn't really keep the bogeys away when I hit a bad shot. So I worked on that. Basically what I'm saying is try and assess your game honestly and see where you think you'll gain the most, and practice like hell. I know you say that your weak point varies from round to round (it does for all of us) but I am sure you know what part of your game you're more and less comfortable with. For me, I'd almost rather be hitting a 9i or wedge into a green than trying to chip from greenside. Hell, I'd almost rather be in a greenside bunker than have to chip (although I have improved it a lot thanks to my mate Stan). To be honest I don't think there are many low teens golfer that couldn't cut 3 or 4 shots a round by chipping and putting better.

I haven't broken 80 now for 3 months though, I've struggled for form for a while so don't listen to me if you don't think it makes sense :)

idgolfguy
6th June 2013, 06:49 PM
Typical of my game, 2 doubles and a bogie to shoot 4 over on the front 9 and 4 doubles to shoot 7 over on the back and played to handicap yesterday. Those of us on the cusp of singles, have similar issues.

Unfortunately, the potential is there but the application is fragile. The unnecessary doubles bring us down. The shooting to Par thread has some interesting perspectives. Virge sums it up quite well on a couple of posts.

The approach I keep trying to take is to not think of the score and play the hole a shot at a time. Hard to sustain as once a good score builds I get stressed and change my game plan.

I keep trying the 'one shot at a time' approach.

HCC
6th June 2013, 06:58 PM
Stay fresh mind and fatigue wise. Avoid working the balls dont waste putts. Took jacks advice shot 79s two weeks in a row.

Leon Phelps
6th June 2013, 07:43 PM
I have been where you are... played off 10-13 for about 7 months (and it felt like a lot longer) without ever breaking 80, despite shooting low 80s plenty.

First thing is just to not think about it. I vividly remember holing a 6 footer for a 79 just before Christmas and I was shitting my dacks over that putt. Just enjoy it, don't put too much pressure on yourself, and the scores will come.

Second thing, for me, was to improve my short game. You might be different, you might be an average ball striker but getting up and down from everywhere, I was the opposite, I was finding I was pretty accurate with all my irons (and even my driver, at that stage) but couldn't really keep the bogeys away when I hit a bad shot. So I worked on that. Basically what I'm saying is try and assess your game honestly and see where you think you'll gain the most, and practice like hell. I know you say that your weak point varies from round to round (it does for all of us) but I am sure you know what part of your game you're more and less comfortable with. For me, I'd almost rather be hitting a 9i or wedge into a green than trying to chip from greenside. Hell, I'd almost rather be in a greenside bunker than have to chip (although I have improved it a lot thanks to my mate Stan). To be honest I don't think there are many low teens golfer that couldn't cut 3 or 4 shots a round by chipping and putting better.

I haven't broken 80 now for 3 months though, I've struggled for form for a while so don't listen to me if you don't think it makes sense :)

Cheers Ben. Honestly I feel like I have to work on my short game. That will be a starting point.

Leon Phelps
6th June 2013, 07:45 PM
Typical of my game, 2 doubles and a bogie to shoot 4 over on the front 9 and 4 doubles to shoot 7 over on the back and played to handicap yesterday. Those of us on the cusp of singles, have similar issues.

Unfortunately, the potential is there but the application is fragile. The unnecessary doubles bring us down. The shooting to Par thread has some interesting perspectives. Virge sums it up quite well on a couple of posts.

The approach I keep trying to take is to not think of the score and play the hole a shot at a time. Hard to sustain as once a good score builds I get stressed and change my game plan.

I keep trying the 'one shot at a time' approach.

I do try and keep it to 'one shot at a time', but I often drift off course with my final score thinking. Need to work on the mental approach for sure.

mrbluu
6th June 2013, 07:48 PM
Buy new clubs....

Looney
6th June 2013, 07:55 PM
Break your round in to 3 lots of 6 holes. I try and play each bloke at or below handicap, once the first 6 is done don't worry about how You scored focus on the next 6.
I find this approach stops the focus on how you played he first 9 and keeps you in the 6 you are playing

Leon Phelps
6th June 2013, 07:58 PM
Stay fresh mind and fatigue wise. Avoid working the balls dont waste putts. Took jacks advice shot 79s two weeks in a row.

Don't work the ball, what do you mean exactly?

Leon Phelps
6th June 2013, 07:59 PM
Buy new clubs....

Up to my 6th set of irons in 3 years, can't blame the tools...

Leon Phelps
6th June 2013, 08:00 PM
Break your round in to 3 lots of 6 holes. I try and play each bloke at or below handicap, once the first 6 is done don't worry about how. You scored focus on the next 6.
I find this approach stops the focus on how you played he first 9 and keeps you in the 6 you are playing

This might be a great strategy, as it will eliminate the thoughts of "9" hole scoring. Will give it a go, cheers

Ferrins
6th June 2013, 08:01 PM
When you finally break 80 in a comp tear up the card and get a NCR. This will give you a true feeling of being a sandbagger.

Leon Phelps
6th June 2013, 08:03 PM
When you finally break 80 in a comp tear up the card and get a NCR. This will give you a true feeling of being a sandbagger.

Playa....

wazandnic
6th June 2013, 08:48 PM
Hey mate, I've played Mossvale a few times and for mine your best bet as a member there is to work on your short game. The greens are realtively small and all raised so it is not always eay to hit in regulation. A mate I play golf regularly with, playing off 4-8 with no practice and probably at most 2 games a month always struggles when he goes to Mossvale manly as his short game is probably the weakest part of hiss game.

Get up and down 50% of the time and you should go close to <80.

LeftyHoges
6th June 2013, 11:26 PM
My initial thought with just looking at your stats is off the tee. 40% of fairways is not gonna let you break 80. Without knowing anything more about your game or your course than that, 6/14 fairways means you're fighting for par on 8/14 holes. Not to mention par 3's which are the hardest holes to par statistically speaking.

Easiest way to break 80 is 11 pars, 7 bogeys. Go out with a game plan of how to achieve that. Any birdies are a bonus and do not mean you're now allowed to have 8 or 9 bogeys. What's the easiest way to make par? Hit fairways. That gives you the opportunity to hit more greens. When you're hitting more fairways you'll be surprised how much better your short game becomes because your misses aren't as bad. Aim for 50-55% fairways, BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. 3-woods, hybrids, long irons, whatever. Just hit the fairway and work from there. Avoid double bogeys, take your medicine and get out with bogey. Doubles kill chances of breaking 80.

A final question to hopefully prove my point: when was the last time you heard someone say they made double from the middle of the fairway?

Outcast
6th June 2013, 11:47 PM
A final question to hopefully prove my point: when was the last time you heard someone say they made double from the middle of the fairway?

Actually, I've been doing that a fair bit lately:smt087

simmsy
6th June 2013, 11:50 PM
Agree Lefty, while plenty of ppl say you don't need to hit every fwy to score, when you are only hitting 40% it means you are putting pressure on yourself. I know when I hit good drive I'm a lot more relaxed moving into my approach shot than if I have to chop it out and thenfeel the need to have to stick my 3rd shot tight.

Also I think if you are faced with a nasty short side take your medicine and just get it on the green instead of going the hero shot and blowing the hole.

Leon Phelps
7th June 2013, 07:07 AM
My initial thought with just looking at your stats is off the tee. 40% of fairways is not gonna let you break 80. Without knowing anything more about your game or your course than that, 6/14 fairways means you're fighting for par on 8/14 holes. Not to mention par 3's which are the hardest holes to par statistically speaking.

Easiest way to break 80 is 11 pars, 7 bogeys. Go out with a game plan of how to achieve that. Any birdies are a bonus and do not mean you're now allowed to have 8 or 9 bogeys. What's the easiest way to make par? Hit fairways. That gives you the opportunity to hit more greens. When you're hitting more fairways you'll be surprised how much better your short game becomes because your misses aren't as bad. Aim for 50-55% fairways, BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. 3-woods, hybrids, long irons, whatever. Just hit the fairway and work from there. Avoid double bogeys, take your medicine and get out with bogey. Doubles kill chances of breaking 80.

Your right lefty, I pull out driver too often and kill my chance of hitting more fairways. It is one club that I am very hot and cold with, but my ego wants to bomb drives and play short irons in for birdie chances. Whereas I can hit a 3 hybrid very well, and although it will be 50m shorter than driver, I could still be hitting 6 or less into most of the par 4's. actually when I look at our course there is only 4-5 par 4's that I really have to take driver to have a chance of hitting a green in 2.

I did have a double from the middle of the fairway at 15 on Wednesday. I was only 145 out and under clubbed for the head wind, fluffed a chip from greenside then 2 putted once I got on. But that is purely a short game error, and not because I hit the fairway. Should have at worst had a bogey.

Leon Phelps
7th June 2013, 07:11 AM
Agree Lefty, while plenty of ppl say you don't need to hit every fwy to score, when you are only hitting 40% it means you are putting pressure on yourself. I know when I hit good drive I'm a lot more relaxed moving into my approach shot than if I have to chop it out and thenfeel the need to have to stick my 3rd shot tight.

Also I think if you are faced with a nasty short side take your medicine and just get it on the green instead of going the hero shot and blowing the hole.

Good point on short siding yourself. A couple of times I needed a delicate chip and came up short, whereas I should make the shot at worst get on the green and give myself a chance at making the putt back

simmsy
7th June 2013, 08:39 AM
Yep, you're a chance of making a 20' putt, much more so than if you flub it into a bunker or blade it over the green.
Play more % golf.

mrbluu
7th June 2013, 08:42 AM
Up to my 6th set of irons in 3 years, can't blame the tools...

What about the rest of the set?? ;-)

Leon Phelps
7th June 2013, 08:55 AM
What about the rest of the set?? ;-)

Driver number 7, putter number 8, it's not the gear bluu, believe me

mrbluu
7th June 2013, 09:05 AM
Driver number 7, putter number 8, it's not the gear bluu, believe me

I'm just stirring bro.

I think some of the guys said, don't make doubles. My best games have always come when I've limited or eliminated the doubles I have. Figure out your favourite yardage, so when you get in trouble you can pitch out to this distance and it gives you the best chance to make par or no worse that bogey.

Also if you are working on a particular game, it usually will take more that a couple of months for the results to reflect the improvements.

Good luck and just enjoy it, you are off 12, so you should be able to do pretty soon.

wazandnic
7th June 2013, 09:50 AM
yeah fairways make it easier, but it does all depend on the individual. We have a guy that plays with us regularly. He would hit on average prob 80% of fairways with driver in hand. Sh1ts the hell out of the rest of us! But he is not long and then struggles big time from there. His short game is attrocious. He has a social club handicap of 44 and is in the process of getting an AGU handicap, it will be 36. Being in the fairway doesn't help him... although perhaps he would shoot in the 200's if he sprayed it more off the tee! ;)

It really needs to come down to you. Mossvale is not long, so missing a fairway but chipping out will have you close to most greens, from there it is just short game to try and get up and down!

The other thing I note about mossvale with it's smallish raised greens. Most times I've played it the surrounds are quite wet and muddy. Tough to play off for anyone. Lob wedge should be used minimally.

All just some of my thoughts and opinions more related to my experiences at Mossvale though really.

LeftyHoges
7th June 2013, 10:30 AM
yeah fairways make it easier, but it does all depend on the individual. We have a guy that plays with us regularly. He would hit on average prob 80% of fairways with driver in hand. Sh1ts the hell out of the rest of us! But he is not long and then struggles big time from there. His short game is attrocious. He has a social club handicap of 44 and is in the process of getting an AGU handicap, it will be 36. Being in the fairway doesn't help him... although perhaps he would shoot in the 200's if he sprayed it more off the tee! ;)

Probably the exception more than the rule here! :lol:

As said, Leon is off 12 so we know he has game. He just needs to be able to use that game from the fairway more often.

IanO
7th June 2013, 11:00 AM
I feel your pain Leon. I dragged my way down to 11.8 and have since played 6 rounds of the worste golf I have played in a year. I started having a great round the other day and was square with the card after 6 holes. My playing partner says as we are walking to the 7 th tee "Wow great round you are having". I ended up playing to 22!

It really is in the mind. I am going to take note of some of the suggestions here and see if I can break 80 as well. Going to leave the driver at home for a bit as it gets me in the most trouble.

davepuppies
7th June 2013, 12:26 PM
Agree with all of the above.....

For a 11/12 marker to shoot sub 80, all it takes is smart golf.

Aim for the middle of greens, not at tucked pins, take one club less off tee and keep in fairway, or play to safe parts of the golf course.

The 1/100 shot is just that. Take your medicine if you miss a fairway, and make a plan to chip out, take a bogey, rather than a double.

GuyIncognito
7th June 2013, 01:43 PM
first thing that jumped out at me was taking driver on a 324m hole (the fact that it resulted in a 7 alerted me to it in fairness) - seems a bit unnecessary to me for someone looking to break 80 at all costs (tho in fairness i havent played the course and dont know how the hole sets up)

ruling out the big numbers seemed to be the key for me coming down the milestones ladder, from the triples to the doubles to the useless bogeys on weak holes etc - have a plan for every hole and stick to it as often as you can (this wont be 100% of the time due to in-round factors but it should be close enough).

Also, whilst this is counter productive to playing your "best golf", if all you truly want to do is get seventy something to get the monkey off your back, consider protecting your round the next time you have a 37/38 front nine - give the driver a rest on all but the widest fairways (if not all), play to the fattest part of every green, forget going at par5's in two where there is ANY danger, lag every putt - it's weak defensive golf but as i said if your sole aim is that score it's going to help more than it hurts.

GL.