PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request Rules Forum?

markTHEblake
3rd June 2013, 01:03 PM
Create a new section for Rules questions and scenarios. The One thread we have is quite popular, but being a single thread not good for looking up various topics within.
Moreso that the particular thread subject says "gurus" yet many of the questions are being asked by some who seem too lazy to read the rule book and by asking others in the first instance is not helping them learn the rules at all.
A structured forum would help alleviate this with a sticky post for guidelines how to ask a question and include a link to the rules online. I think this would become a valuable resource for the forum members by improving rules knowledge and interpretions.

PeteyD
3rd June 2013, 01:21 PM
Why not just have a pointer to RandA.org ?

AndyP
3rd June 2013, 01:30 PM
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/18044-Rules-of-Golf

If a Rules section was created, would it be used. I have no issue with separate rules threads being started in the current areas, and if the demand is there, getting it's own sub-forum.

mike
3rd June 2013, 02:21 PM
... yet many of the questions are being asked by some who seem too lazy to read the rule book and by asking others in the first instance is not helping them learn the rules at all.
That would be me. I hate looking up rules, I seem to get nowhere and the rulings are often quite obscure.

I'll keep asking the gurus.

Vice MC
3rd June 2013, 02:58 PM
whinge whinge bloody whinge

Lobsta
3rd June 2013, 05:24 PM
It would have to get more use than the lefty pro shop.

markTHEblake
3rd June 2013, 09:31 PM
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/18044-Rules-of-Golf
Obviously is great idea!

If a Rules section was created, would it be used.
ISG does has its own sub-forum and it has 2000 threads in around 10 or so years, which is indicative such a forum would be used.

I have no issue with separate rules threads being started in the current areas, and if the demand is there, getting it's own sub-forum.

Well we do have a single thread that has 1100 posts in 2.5 years. That is on average more than one post a day. I think that shows that there is demand for this topic, even if mike gets himself a rule book.

That would be me. I hate looking up rules, I seem to get nowhere and the rulings are often quite obscure.

To be honest I wasn't thinking of you, but seeings as you volunteered we should make you our poster boy.

AndyP
3rd June 2013, 10:09 PM
Yet so far you are the only one championing the idea.

Dotty
4th June 2013, 07:59 AM
Yet so far you are the only one championing the idea.
I'd vote for it, if we had a poll.

I tend to check the rule book for my own doubts (so I don't appear lazy in front of my internet friends), but our forum discussion resolves some of the confusing aspects in the rule book. There has been great responses clarifying these, based of decisions, past experience, 19th hole chat and TV golf.

If we could (self?)manage it, so there is only one thread for the major areas, such as 'OOB', 'Bunkers', 'Matchplay', etc. (Rather than a new thread for every 'I hit a tree and it bounced back in. What is the ruling?', 'Can I get relief from an OOB post?' or 'My ball was plugged in the fence. Do I get a free drop?'.)

Ta.

Ferrins
4th June 2013, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=markTHEblake; Well we do have a single thread that has 1100 posts in 2.5 years. That is on average more than one post a day. I think that shows that there is demand for this topic, even if mike gets himself a rule book. [/QUOTE]By your reasoning we should havea Ebay bargains section as well.

Ferrins
4th June 2013, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=markTHEblake; Well we do have a single thread that has 1100 posts in 2.5 years. That is on average more than one post a day. I think that shows that there is demand for this topic, even if mike gets himself a rule book. [/QUOTE]By your reasoning we should have an Ebay bargains section as well.

markTHEblake
4th June 2013, 08:44 AM
Ferrins. That is a good point but not for this example. eBay bargains posts have a very short time of relevance of a week maximum A rules question topic remains relevant for up to four years minimum perhaps a lifetime.

AndyP
4th June 2013, 08:46 AM
Surely self-managing isn't going to work, Dotty?

Dotty
4th June 2013, 08:53 AM
Surely self-managing isn't going to work, Dotty?
We just need to keep Shortylook out of the Rules forum. :):):)

It has so far, in that all the rules questions have been put into the same thread.

Maybe I/we just need to start a couple of threads, 'Bunker Questions', 'Lost Ball', 'Out of Bounds', 'Moving Ball' to set an example.

Courty
4th June 2013, 09:23 AM
I think it has merit, but on one condition: if someone starts a thread, the determined ruling and rule number should be added to the OP. this should be up to the thread-starter to handle, but I can't see it happening consistently.