PDA

View Full Version : Long Putting Help

Craig_Syd
3rd June 2013, 11:47 AM
I need help! I have been putting quite badly the past few weeks. I would say over the years it has been the best part of my game, high single figures but have always putted much better (just the part before the green is the issue!). I have been mostly leaving them short but on Saturday I went to putt a long one (say 30ft +) and the ball literally bounced 6 inches in the air and went half way. My stroke is screwed! Any drills out there to help with putting contact rather than alignment? :smt087:smt087:smt087:smt087

virge666
3rd June 2013, 11:58 AM
These.

http://www.pelzgolf.com/dave_pelz_golf_pro_shop/golf_putting_aid_teacher_putter_clips.aspx

Cheap on eBay

Or just use blue tack.

Lastly - the tiger tee drill.

http://www.golf.com/video/two-tee-putting-drill (http://www.pelzgolf.com/dave_pelz_golf_pro_shop/golf_putting_aid_teacher_putter_clips.aspx)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GdKKjk534

popper81
3rd June 2013, 12:01 PM
Bad contact is not good. Maybe a lesson. If not check the basics. Ball position, head position.

For distance control try this.

Select spot A. If you want to work of putts of 30ft, make spot B 30 ft away. 5 metres past spot B is spot C.

Aim of the drill is really hone your distance control.

Putt from A, towards B. Once a ball finishes between spot B & C you are in play. The next ball must finish past the previous ball, but before spot C. Aim to try and get as many balls as you can between B & C meeting these criteria. If a ball falls short of the previous ball, start again. If the balls finishes past spot C, start again.

I have kids under 10 that can get 10+ balls inside a 5 metre gap from 15 metres away. Spot B & C are just length marks, not actual targets. remove the thought I actual targets from that distance when trying this.

This one is not so much contact, but it helps.

Craig_Syd
3rd June 2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks Guys, I'll hit the putting green this arvo and give these a try....

markTHEblake
3rd June 2013, 12:39 PM
No drills required. Concentrate on even tempo, ie backstroke and forward should be the same speed.

If you need some help understanding that look up Geoff Mangum videos on you tube. He describes getting the right distance with putting is as easy as opening a door and you don't have to think about it.

Just this one thing has improved my long putting out of sight and I still don't know how I do it. I never think of the length, just do it and it works

Hatchman
3rd June 2013, 12:48 PM
If the balls bouncing up your striking your putts on the downward arc of the putter swing. You need to be hitting it slightly on the upwards arc to get that good roll on the ball. This may be caused by either closing the face angle over or the ball too far back in your stance. Concentrate on an accelerating stroke as a decelerating stroke can give the same effect and will have no control over distance.

Puji
3rd June 2013, 01:04 PM
No drills required. Concentrate on even tempo, ie backstroke and forward should be the same speed.

that's the first time I've heard that. I know it's always advised (especially by pelz) to find your own tempo but...

I've always heard a 2:1 ratio for backstroke/forward stroke is recommended. In fact having the same tempo/ speed has been advised against.

E.g metronome drills:

1 - takeaway
3 - start forward stroke
4 - impact.

Maybe I misunderstood.

markTHEblake
3rd June 2013, 01:08 PM
Mangum definitely disagrees with that and I am a convert. I have always has a faster through stroke and for a long time did a Wayne Grady plus a stutter. Mangum says that contributes to often hitting putts very long, now guess what my long putting fault was!

virge666
3rd June 2013, 04:15 PM
Mangum definitely disagrees with that and I am a convert. I have always has a faster through stroke and for a long time did a Wayne Grady plus a stutter. Mangum says that contributes to often hitting putts very long, now guess what my long putting fault was!

Me too.

You dont need to accelerate for the downswing - you just cant DECELERATE

His stuff on putting into a box and visualization is also exceptional. Especially as he is a dead set Autistic nutter

Daves
3rd June 2013, 06:35 PM
I know it is basic, but you have to always remember that you roll the ball with your putter, you don't hit it! Simple, but fundamental stroke principle that I see broken every time I am on the course.

Puji
3rd June 2013, 06:50 PM

That's interesting. Not saying I disagree or agree, but just very different to what I've heard

Me too.

You dont need to accelerate for the downswing - you just cant DECELERATE

His stuff on putting into a box and visualization is also exceptional. Especially as he is a dead set Autistic nutter

I focus on accelerating - that way - no chance of the dreaded decel. Works for me.

I know it is basic, but you have to always remember that you roll the ball with your putter, you don't hit it! Simple, but fundamental stroke principle that I see broke every time I am on the course.

How do you roll the ball without hitting it? I get what you mean though. I think.

Hatchman
3rd June 2013, 09:21 PM
Good drill I found for helping get that accelerating stroke feeling.
Assuming your putting right handed. Reverse for a lefty. Get about 3-4 foot from the hole. Hold the putter behind the ball and just push the ball towards the hole from the stationary position. You'll soon find out what feels better, the feeling of pushing with the right side or pulling from the left side. Either way you need to accelerate that putter head to achieve the result.
Do a heap of those then try some putts taking a back swing and get that same feeling of chasing the ball towards the hole.

One last thing, all this needs to be done with a still head. Listen for the sound of the ball in the cup, don't look up to see what it's doing.

dean0820
3rd June 2013, 10:01 PM
don't stab at the ball. all my mates do that on long putts. take a long, slow backswing and think of hitting the ball almost on the upstroke, so it's got a kind of topspin on it and starts rolling out quickly and smoothly.

razaar
4th June 2013, 09:26 AM
With long putts there needs to be some clubhead lag in the stroke with wrist hinge. When the wrists get involved then the target wrist has to do the work. The biggest issue with putting is keeping the target wrist leading through the stroke and not slowing down allowing the trail wrist to close in a miniature flip. George Low was considered one of the best putters of all time. When asked what was important to be a good putter - he answered a fast left wrist. For a righty to be a consistent long putter he needs to use a very light grip and dexterity with the left hand in the stroke. The right assists by keeping the putter face from opening (as against arcing).

The preferred grip has both hands turned under which promotes high hands at address and semi locked wrists. The alternative is low hands (like Seve) which requires talent for consistent results.