PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 5th December

macleod
8th December 2005, 03:22 PM
hey, never started one of these befo'...interesting.

Indooroopilly East off the blues, nice sweat-a-licious round:
42+41 for an 83 , nett 68

even found a brand new prov1x, sweet....

cazandpaul
9th December 2005, 05:14 AM
36 points (13 :oops: -23) working night shift doesn't agree with an 8.30 start.

Matt 3 Jab
9th December 2005, 12:22 PM
Played Mac Grange today with andrew, we both didnt shoot great numbers but it was a good day none the less. I had 31 points, with 3 lost balls, that i can remember :wink: Andrew lost a few aswell, ended up with 29.
Highlights of the day for me were my first 4 holes missing 3 1 footers, my eagle on 9, long drive on 14. Another birdie somewhere but happy with the par on 18.
Thanks to Andrew for getting my sandwedge about 5 times from the green :lol:

BrisVegas
9th December 2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks to Andrew for getting my sandwedge about 5 times from the green  :lol:

Is this the wedge you just bought!!!???? :shock: You obviously haven't bonded with the thing yet. Spend some QT with it, get to know it etc.. then you'll never leave it behind again.... :wink:

Matt 3 Jab
9th December 2005, 12:43 PM
yea its the RTG 56, i love it, chipped really well, but seeing as we were in a cart i kept taking the putter and wedge with me then kept leaving it behind, was so excited i was making 1 and 2 footers :lol:

Grunt
9th December 2005, 03:37 PM
Hi

Played Mac Grange this afternoon, saw Andrew & Matt as they finished, played great on the front nine for 25 points(4 over off the stick) and the hayfever kicked in on the back nine for a woefull 13 to finish with 38 points. :cry:

Putted poorly on the back with 4 3 putt greens, had a 3 putt on nine for par :?

Got to get out of this good for nine then crash form. :?

May have held onto longest drive on the ninth, Matt you got knocked off on 14.

Oh well there is always tomorrow.

macleod
9th December 2005, 06:27 PM
ah, what a nice day out at Gailes.

decided to play in the ball breaking dingo hill back marker challenge in the wind.

Shot an 84 (44+40) for a nett 69....woohoo!

i think i lost by a single stroke to a member off a 5 cap, who carded a 68 in the final group of the day.

I won the NTP though, box o d-feels! that counts for something? :D

Jarro
9th December 2005, 06:54 PM
Macca ... where's this form when we have an Ozgolf day :roll:

macleod
9th December 2005, 08:00 PM
Macca ... where's this form when we have an Ozgolf day :roll:

mmm...i have NO idea.... i used a different set of clubs each day..

go figure!

i think the xanax is helping ;)

Matt 3 Jab
9th December 2005, 08:31 PM
Matt you got knocked off on 14.

Bugger, ah well, glad to hear you had a good round grunt, well good then shaky but still good, down to 18 in no time.

Matt 3 Jab
10th December 2005, 06:16 PM
Played in what may very well be my last competition game ever, just becoming stupid out there and really not becoming fun, did not give up once on the course, but at the end of the round i realised the clubs should stay at home. Played at New Brighton.
To some up the round, went birdie, birdie start, bogey then almost a hole in one on the 4th, 12 cm's, -2 after 4 holes, then a good save on 5, missed a 4 footer for birdie on 6, missed a 1 foot putt on 7, doubled it, missed a 4 ft putt on 8 for birdie, 3 putted from a foot on 9th, not a tricky putt, just a straight 1 foot putt, and i want to stress again that i was concentrating and playing serious, make the turn at +2.
Missed a 1 footer on 10 for par, missed a 4 footer on 12 for birdie, missed a 5 footer on 14 for birdie, 15th hole just didnt play well, par 16, par 17 and wipe the last with the final missed 1 footer.
so i guess its social rounds for me from now on, just becomes pointless when a foot putt gives me hell, makes the game very stressing and not alot of fun.
35 points off a 7 handicap.
Thanks for the games so far to all ozgolfers i have played with. Hope you all play well.

mike
10th December 2005, 10:08 PM
Sounds like a typical Peter O'Malley round.

Matt I gave golf away once.

It was the longest week of my life.

markTHEblake
10th December 2005, 10:15 PM

time to introduce ozgolf compulsory drug testing it seems.

so much for that handicap that was too low for ya, what is it, practice, lessons, or feng shui?

macleod
10th December 2005, 11:04 PM

time to introduce ozgolf compulsory drug testing it seems.

so much for that handicap that was too low for ya, what is it, practice, lessons, or feng shui?

it still feels like a pair of tight shoes to be honest.

i lost 0.8 off it though so i'm down to 14.

zen actually.....and homemade staminade ;)

Courty
10th December 2005, 11:14 PM
Hmmm. Golf is a funny game. I really struggled my way around on Wednesday with a crook back for a tragic 28pts. I really should have gone home after 9 to get some treatment, but I'm a sucker for punishment.

Anyhow, I went back today for some more. Check out the stats:

Fairways hit: 1 :oops:
Greens in reg: 3 :cry:
Putts: 25 8)
Strokes: 76 (+4)

My back was all messed up still & I couldn't make a correct full swing, luckily the short game was working though, as I still posted a score under handicap (just).

Anyway, the back problem has been niggling at me for several years, but this time was the last straw. I'm going to take a month off golf (and indoor cricket) to concentrate on fixing the back. I've already started by having acupuncture & massage recently, and now I'm going to get some physio done as well... :?

oz
11th December 2005, 06:43 AM
Had a Jekyl and Hyde round of 39 points yesterday.

Started on the back nine with Birdie, Birdie, Par, Birdie, then 3 putted from 10 feet for bogey on a Par 5, made a double after finding water on the next, followed by another bogey on 16 and again on 18.  Turned in 20 pts (38 ), feeling like I had choked on a good score.

Had good birdie chances on 1 and 2 from 15 & 10 feet respectively, missing both.  Made a Double Bogey on 3 after a perfect drive (2 chips, 2 putts from behind the green), and then made a bogey on the par 5 7th after being pin high for 2 (2 chips & 2 putts again).  Burned the lip for birdie on 8, and finally made another birdie on 9.  Came back with 19 pts (38 ) for 39 pts, and 76 off the bat.

In summary, my chipping and pitching game was pretty poor, though I putted well (holing 2 bombs around 30 feet).  Driver and irons were solid, without beng spectacular, but wedge play was poor.  I think it's obvious where the work needs to be done.  Just got to find the time.

oz
11th December 2005, 06:48 AM
Good luck with the back repairs Courty. Keep practicing that short game while you take a break. Sounds like it is already a strength, and you want to keep it sharp.

Fishman Dan
11th December 2005, 07:22 AM
Didn't get it going at all yesterday for 30 points.

Driving was passable, short game was terrible and struggled to get it close. Couldn't back up and have 2 good holes in a row.

2 more penalties to add to my woes, 33 putts including 3 x 3-putts. First 3 putts i've had for a long time.

Jono
11th December 2005, 09:19 AM
To some up the round, went birdie, birdie start, bogey then almost a hole in one on the 4th, 12 cm's, -2 after 4 holes, then a good save on 5, missed a 4 footer for birdie on 6, missed a 1 foot putt on 7, doubled it, missed a 4 ft putt on 8 for birdie, 3 putted from a foot on 9th, not a tricky putt, just a straight 1 foot putt, and i want to stress again that i was concentrating and playing serious, make the turn at +2.
Missed a 1 footer on 10 for par, missed a 4 footer on 12 for birdie, missed a 5 footer on 14 for birdie, 15th hole just didnt play well, par 16, par 17 and wipe the last with the final missed 1 footer.

Wow ... I'm speechless. I have found my soulmate ... :lol:

Matt 3 Jab
11th December 2005, 11:05 AM
any tips jono for other sports? somethign that doesnt require skill?

Jono
11th December 2005, 12:47 PM
Matt,

I understand your pain ... I have missed my share of 1 foot putts. :wink:

To miss that many putts and still score that well on your low handicap, you must have been striking the ball very well. Look on the bright side. 8)

Just wondering ... How do you line up short putts? I find that when I miss really short putts, it's usually due to poor aim. Do you use Line M Up or something similar to draw an aim line on the ball?

Grunt
11th December 2005, 03:34 PM
Played NSW this morning with Jim & Terry(marcel) 37 points \:D/ Best round at the best course I have ever played. Handbrake came on though :? more in big golf week thread.

Matt 3 Jab
11th December 2005, 06:35 PM
To miss that many putts and still score that well on your low handicap, you must have been striking the ball very well.  Look on the bright side.  8)

Just wondering ... How do you line up short putts?  I find that when I miss really short putts, it's usually due to poor aim.  Do you use Line M Up or something similar to draw an aim line on the ball?
i hit it very well, but my handicap is going up and up unfortunatly, i line the logo up usually, on all putts, still doesnt work :?

jimandr
11th December 2005, 07:21 PM
Grunt has got in first to announce that he and I played NSW today with Marcel. Thanks heaps for the invitation :)

The course met every expectation I had of it. My game was also very good, but after holing a few good ones the putting gods got back at me in a big way to turn a good round into 33 points.

Fairways = 12 of 14
GIR = 10 of 18
Putts = 35, 2 birdies, 3 three putts
Up & Down = 2 of 6
Sand Saves = 0 of 1.

The weather was fairly calm and the course in fantastic condition. Grunt didn't mention that he finished with 4 points over the last 4 holes for his 37, finishing wipe, wipe, 2 a 4 on 17, using the trusty rescue from just off (from 15ft closer I three-putted) and wipe to conclude. He made the mistake of trying to defend a good score and crashed.

Best course I've ever played, and one of the most enjoyable days I've ever had.

Bruce
11th December 2005, 09:12 PM
Friday was the final IBM day for the year. 4B Ambrose at Woodlands

We started out on fire with 2 tap-in birdies on the first 2 holes but on the third we recalled part of the briefing from the pro. They are starting their preparations for the Vic Open which apparently means they are just letting the greens grow out. They were bloody disgraceful. Slow and shitty that make Mirboo Nth look like billiard tables in comparison. They even had large parts of some greens roped off and marked as GUR. As such things got a lot tougher once we had to putt.

We finished the day at 1 under which had us .13 off third. But a fun day was had nevertheless.

On a personal note I had an NTP to win a "range bag". One of those 4" jobs that hold a couple of clubs.

The Spectrum was in full honeymoon mode and it looks like I snagged a nympho. Was pin-high on the fringe of the 260m 4th as well as a few others over 250m. Even better was sticking one right on the line to win the straightest drive. That prize was a voucher for a another round at Woodlands for 4 people. I've already told my Dad so that only leaves 2 more potential slots for an OzGolf day.

I'll definitely be waiting till after the Vic Open (or just before) before going back there though.

Fishman Dan
11th December 2005, 11:30 PM
Matt,

I understand your pain ... I have missed my share of 1 foot putts.  :wink:

To miss that many putts and still score that well on your low handicap, you must have been striking the ball very well.  Look on the bright side.  8)

Just wondering ... How do you line up short putts?  I find that when I miss really short putts, it's usually due to poor aim.  Do you use Line M Up or something similar to draw an aim line on the ball?

Jono - have you had your eyes re-tested lately?

Surely most 1-footers are "aim for the hole, hit it through the break". I mean, we're talking 1 FOOT here!

Short backswing, follow through!

Matt 3 Jab
12th December 2005, 06:46 AM
Surely most 1-footers are "aim for the hole, hit it through the break". I mean, we're talking 1 FOOT here!

Short backswing, follow through!
i wish it was that easy for me :cry:
i try and just back and through but no luck, i can miss it half a hole left or right, i just suck........

Virgal_Tracy
12th December 2005, 08:41 AM
2nd game in a week (well 8 days if anyone is counting) and it showed. Played Bexley yesterday for 41 points. Short course but played really well. Started on the back 9 with 3 pars and not 1 of them a GIR. Finished playing the 9 at 5 over so I was rapped, included draining a 40fter after not being anywhere near the right fairway until on the green.

Front 9 started with 4 consecutive pars. A couple of horror holes and a great 5w on the 200m par 3 to pin high. Finished the day at 13 over off the stick.

For those that have played with me hold your hats. Not one slice / gay fade / power fade all day. THe ones that I didn't hit straight (3) were nasty hooks / pulls. Getting the hands through too early but the ones I got right meant monster drives. 280m on the 1st to be 30m short of green, peppered the group in front to land pin high off the green 270m downhill on the 2nd and again on the 3rd. Less slice more distance.

Great day. looking forward to camden Valley if I can keep this up.

peter_rs
12th December 2005, 08:59 AM
ok played Redcliffe Golf Club for the first time (hackers day) nice course, would go back again. Warm day even at 6am. the wind was a saving grace.

Another round with the new swing, mind set & installment of MB vs CB for hacker golfers.

85 nett 62 or (nett 69 with my hacker hcp) second for the day, 3 NP prizes.

Fairways 10/14
GIR 14
putts 36 (one putts on the last 2 green to help this stat, First time out with a demo 2 ball blade the TM rusted again)

par on 10/18 holes

I didn't play that bad but its going to take some time before I like shooting these scores becuase I just don't like playing safe, I like having a go of the tee.

Shot of the day a 4 iron from 199m to 3m . :lol:

I have to be happy in general as it was my first time at Redcliffe, and it always helps the second time when you know the layout.

Next week the ridge and maybe a drop in hcp, it will be a test as I have never broken 90 on that course, and you have to play safe from the tee with only one one hole.

AndyP
12th December 2005, 09:02 AM
Pete, those are some impressive stats (14 GIR! Holy Shit!).

You are either in a hot patch or well on the road to improvement. Keep it up.

peter_rs
12th December 2005, 09:19 AM
AP I would never of thought 2 putts for par could get so pain full, but not as bad as 4x3 putts for bogey, I had 2 putts bounce of the back of the hole at long range..... I would have paid for a birdie. :oops:  :P  :lol:

I hope I'm on the road to improvement too, I just have to keep my mental game in check.

AndyP
12th December 2005, 09:21 AM
I hope I'm on the road to improvement too, I just have to keep my mental game in check.
It's what most of us have to do, and it's where a lot of the game is played.

peter_rs
12th December 2005, 09:25 AM
I know... I just find playing safe mental draining/boring. if you are not in the rough or sh1t then most of the shots are straight forward.

Flowergirl
12th December 2005, 10:46 AM
others over 250m. Even better was sticking one right on the line to win the straightest drive.  That prize was a voucher for a another round at Woodlands for 4 people.  I've already told my Dad so that only leaves 2 more potential slots for an OzGolf day.
I'll definitely be waiting till after the Vic Open (or just before) before going back there though.

Pick me Bruce...............pick me!!!!!!

Well done on some impressive shots there Bruce :wink: ( and yes - that was sucking up!!)

Flowergirl
12th December 2005, 10:54 AM
John and I played in our social groups Xmas breakup at Carrington Park yesterday. The weather was perfect - just perfect.

Now - a few of you have played with my husband John and will agree that although he can hit a very nice ball - he just doesn' t do it consistantly. Happy to report that Johnny Boy had 38 points yesterday ( with 4 wipes!!) to win the mens comp and won the longest drive with a shot that any of you boys would have been happy to put your name on.

Everyone was just so delighted that he had a good game - especially me!!!!

I won the womens comp with 37 points - didn't feel like I played great but I kept out of trouble - oh - and the two holes that I still get 2 shots on I parred - so yea - two 4 pointers do help a bit.

No more comps for me this year so it looks like the 20 handicap will stay with me as it has all year. Pretty amazing that with the amount of comps I play in that I have stayed the same all year. Never moved off 20. :shock: I promise that this time next year I'll be off 18. Please :D

Jarro
12th December 2005, 11:01 AM
Happy to report that Johnny Boy had 38 points yesterday ( with 4 wipes!!) to win the mens comp and won the longest drive with a shot that any of you boys would have been happy to put your name on.

well played John 8)