PDA

View Full Version : any good mobile phone deals around ?????

Jarro
8th December 2005, 08:18 AM
my contract with Optus runs out at the end of january, so i thought i'd suss out what deals are going at the moment.

Looking to replace my old nokia 5350 phone as well ..... any other noted mentionables i should look at :?: I like the look of those flip-top LG phones ... anybody here use one of them :?:

AndyP
8th December 2005, 09:39 AM
I like the look of those flip-top LG phones ... anybody here use one of them  :?:
Got a mate at work here that says they are shit. His crapped itself after a year.

Jarro
8th December 2005, 09:41 AM
oh, ok ..... thanks for that.

My little sister has had one for around 1.5 years and hasn't had any dramas :?

Choppa
8th December 2005, 09:42 AM
My vote would be to hold on to your old plan and simply buy a phone outright. You'll be surprised how much money you save in the send if you are actually using your phone.

Courty
8th December 2005, 10:18 AM
Buy a prepaid phone & swap the simcards. That's what I did. Got a nice little Ericsson for $85.

BrisVegas
8th December 2005, 10:20 AM
My vote would be to hold on to your old plan and simply buy a phone outright. You'll be surprised how much money you save in the send if you are actually using your phone.

and there's nothing quite so nice as the feeling of being "off-contract" !! :D

Jarro
8th December 2005, 11:21 AM
thanks guys .... i really like the idea of not being hooked to a long contract (again)

What's your deal like Courty :?:

Courty
8th December 2005, 12:28 PM
What's your deal like Courty :?:

I'm on a Telstra contract that (obviously) doesn't include phone repayments. I pay $10 a month and get $5 credit towards calls. I also get 50 free SMS's per month. I believe that Telstra have canned the $10 plans now, so this all runs out for me midyear next year. This is great value for me becaus eI don't make a lot of calls from my mobile, mainly receive them, but I use SMS a lot. I just tried to get on Telstra's site to check the latest plans, but it kept crashing & giving me 'internal server errors' :roll:

Jarro
8th December 2005, 12:59 PM
Courty,

..sounds like you use your phone for the same reasons as me ... i NEVER make calls on mine :roll: but make/get tons of SMS's per day.

Let me know when you find another good deal mate, i'll keep my eyes open for one also :wink:

BrisVegas
8th December 2005, 01:03 PM
good deal courty. I'm on an Optus $11 plan with $11 included calls, but no sms's. I would rarely have a mobile bill over $15. the wife's got an Optus phone too, so we get the free 20 min calls after 8 etc.. But really, my phone is just for emergencies and short calls to coordinate things.

I'm a cheapskate and this plan suits me.

Jarro
8th December 2005, 01:18 PM

gotta save those pennies for those new wedges 'eh mate :wink:

BrisVegas
8th December 2005, 01:35 PM

gotta save those pennies for those new wedges 'eh mate  :wink:

When it comes to allocation of scarce resources, I'd prefer to direct what funds i have towards golf gear than on ridiculously expensive mobile phone plans. :roll:

macleod
8th December 2005, 04:30 PM
my contract with Optus runs out at the end of january, so i thought i'd suss out what deals are going at the moment.

Looking to replace my old nokia 5350 phone as well ..... any other noted mentionables i should look at :?: I like the look of those flip-top LG phones ... anybody here use one of them :?:

the wife and i are checkjing out the virgin deals at the moment.

i'm on a $5 a month plan, no contract anymore with B, with $5 worth of calls free....so ubercheapskate but my only real cost is when people deposit vm's.

so...with the free vm on virgin and cheapo texting to others on virgin it's a goer.

Grunt
8th December 2005, 04:47 PM
I'm with virgin and it is a great deal, Wives phone off contract Xmas eve so she will be going to virgin after xmas. very good coverage here in syd too.

Eag's
8th December 2005, 05:51 PM
Jarro you can't go wrong with a pre paid plan mate. I have been on the Vodophone network for a while now and have no complaints. I get about 6 weeks out of a $30 pre paid card 8)

markTHEblake
8th December 2005, 11:14 PM
jarro, check out the bundled option with telstra, as you already have phone and internet they have some good bonuses. eg i get 125 free SMS's every month, and the missus uses all them up and then some.

then on the other hand Optus and Telstra's consumer plans are crap. If you can get the business ones you will be far better off.

also consider Three. you can get a free phone now on a $29 cap. Thats pretty good value for someone who doesnt use it much, and if yuo get the missus one from them too, you can call each other for free.

Jarro
9th December 2005, 08:18 AM
thanks Blakey.

I thought about going with Telstra... seeing as we already have the home phone/Foxtel and internet with them ..... might call them up and see what sort of deal i can swindle out of them :wink:

goughy
9th December 2005, 08:54 AM
You will get a deal with free local calls etc if you keep everything with telstra.

I bought my mobile outright off ebay (one of those semi indestructable nokia's (I'm rough on phones)) as the phone I had on contract broke (I left it outside!!!). I finished my 2 year contract recently ($40 a month plan but was spending about $50 to $60 a month). I'm on a 12 month plan now that gives me $250 a month in calls/sms etc for about $49 a month through telstra.

I think you'll find vodafone, optus and telstra all have things like this. The vodafone is a pre-paid plan, you have to top it up each month or when you use up the calls.

BrisVegas
9th December 2005, 09:04 AM

...with the free vm on virgin and cheapo texting to others on virgin it's a goer.

Yeah, the Virgin 2 Virgin plan is the one I'm most likely to change to, if I ever make a switch. We''d both like new phones too, but will probably do what choppa did and buy them outright.

The $11 Optus Corporate plan I'm on now is pretty decent, with no flagfall and cheap call rates, so maybe i should just stick with what I got...

AndyP
9th December 2005, 09:59 AM
I'm on Optus Pre-paid, and get about 4 months or more out of a $30 pre-paid card.
It's more of a receiver, than a transmitter, as any phone calls that are made with prepaid are bloody expensive.

drunken
9th December 2005, 10:43 AM
Find someone who works for one of the phone companys....The staff plans are always very very good. The cap plan Goughy referred to is about $10-$15 a month cheaper for staff AND includes international calls & texts which the retail plans don't..I know Telstra staff can have 4 mobiles running on staff plans so get friendly with your local Telstra man :lol:

markTHEblake
9th December 2005, 07:42 PM
thanks Blakey.

I thought about going with Telstra... seeing as we already have the home phone/Foxtel and internet with them .....:

well thats a bonus for ya, cos you already have 3 services with them, therefore you are probable not obligated to subscribe to the minimum phone plan (maybe $30) to get the bonuses, like 125 free sms or 125 free fixed line local calls.

Golfgirl
12th December 2005, 05:01 PM
I'm on the Vodafone $49 cap.... and I can talk and talk and talk. It's great - I haven't reached the $230 cap yet!!! (But naturally, it's bound to happen sooner or later.) :roll:

But I would love a new phone - I would like one with Bluetooth. Anyone got one?? Is it any good??

I am a big Nokia fan, but they don't seem to have gone down the Bluetooth route in a big way, and I am wary of using other brands as I keep hearing bad things about the "user friendliness" of the menu systems.

Any ideas??

BrisVegas
5th January 2006, 12:15 PM

...with the free vm on virgin and cheapo texting to others on virgin it's a goer.

Yeah, the Virgin 2 Virgin plan is the one I'm most likely to change to, if I ever make a switch.  We''d both like new phones too, but will probably do what choppa did and buy them outright.

Have been looking more seriously this week at what's around and I still reckon Virgin are the best.  8)   Wife is off-contract this month, yippeee!!!  :lol:

If you want a new phone, they're prices are the best I've seen.  

eg. the Sony Ericsson K750i is the shiznit right now.  They're typically on $50+ monthly plans or buy outright for $599+.  Virgin does it for $29 per month with $29 included calls and pays $15 per month off the phone price...  Best thing is, they only charge $360 for the phone.  You can leave Virgin with no penalties after 6 months and all you gotta do is pay out the remainder of the phone cost, ie. $360 - 90 = $270 after 6 months.. :shock:

And of course it's 5 cents per minute Virgin 2 Virgin and cheap texting and MMS etc...  

They have got cheaper phones on plan and also pre-paid.  I like the Nokia 6101 as well, which has a VGA camera, FM radio and MP3 support.  It's $19 per month or $199 pre-paid..
http://www.virginmobile.com.au/selfcare/MyAccount/store/1-needphone.jsp?phone=nokia6101

I'm planning to get the flashy Sony Ericsson shortly and plan to pay it out after 6 months and go back to pre-paid with Virgin to keep the ongoing costs down.

AndyP
5th January 2006, 12:18 PM
What's Virgin's coverage like?

BrisVegas
5th January 2006, 12:20 PM
http://www.virginmobile.com.au/services/coverage.html

Any Virgin customers on here like to comment???

Grunt
5th January 2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah guys I have Virgin and here in sydney it is great. The coverage is Optus.
I just got the wife a Nokia 6230 for $0 on a $29 plan with $80 included calls + $19/month to pay for the phone. If you dont need a new phone teh deals are very very good.
The go with all the carriers at the moment is to buy the phone outright somewhere else and turn up and ask for a deal or buy prepaid.

AndyP
5th January 2006, 12:35 PM
Anyone bought a phone off ebay before?

BrisVegas
5th January 2006, 12:40 PM
Yeah guys I have Virgin and here in sydney it is great. The coverage is Optus.
I just got the wife a Nokia 6230 for $0 on a $29 plan with $80 included calls + $19/month to pay for the phone. If you dont need a new phone teh deals are very very good.
The go with all the carriers at the moment is to buy the phone outright somewhere else and turn up and ask for a deal or buy prepaid.

My wife wanted that phone too. Choice magazine rated it and the SonyEricsson K750i as equal best buys...

Both our phones are pretty old, so Virgin seemed the best way to get into a sexy new one. I looked on ebay to buy outright, but was looking at $600....

Optus coverage in my area is crystal, so hopefully Virgin will be as good.

Just realised I've been with Optus ever since i got my first phone in 1996.... The same year i bought my Tommy Armour 855s!! :shock:

Grunt
5th January 2006, 12:44 PM
I have the Sony Ericcson K700 & in my opionion the Nokia seems to have the better features that people actually use.
Handsfree speaker built in, is a great feature and is clear as a bell in use, camera seems better than the sony too, if you use it.

Jarro
5th January 2006, 12:46 PM
I have the Sony Ericcson K700 & in my opionion the Nokia seems to have the better features that people actually use.
Handsfree speaker built in, is a great feature and is clear as a bell in use, camera seems better than the sony too, if you use it.

are you talking about the Nokia 6230 Grant :?:

Grunt
5th January 2006, 12:56 PM
Yes Jarro

Nokia 6230i.

BrisVegas
5th January 2006, 12:59 PM
The Nokia has a better camera and more features than Sony K700.  1.3 megapixel versus VGA (0.3) for a start...

The K750i is 2 megapixel and matches all the other features of the Nokia for the same money.  and it has a bigger, sharper screen.  Big part of why I would pay the extra for one of these fancy phones is the quality of the camera....  VGA is nice, but 2 megapixel is as good as a proper camera.

SonyEricsson K750i
http://www.imobile.com.au/PhoneReviews/default.asp?ID=reviewsaug0501

SonyEricsson K700i
http://www.imobile.com.au/PhoneReviews/default.asp?ID=reviewsjul0431

Nokia 6230i
http://www.imobile.com.au/Future/default.asp?ID=futuremar0502

markTHEblake
5th January 2006, 09:15 PM
I am going to get one of these babies , an Eten M600.

One listed on ebay here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ETEN-M600-PDA-Phone-Camera-WiFi-Bluetooth_W0QQitemZ5848172975QQcategoryZ38331QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://www.eten.ch/Images/M600Docking.jpg

BrisWesty
5th January 2006, 11:53 PM
Sorry to be a luddite but I hate mobiles.  I despise the lack of etiquette associated with them.  

I have two of the awful things.  One is my wife's hand me down, which I don't bother to charge.  If I do charge it, I turn it on to make a call and turn it off again afterwards.  

I don't give out my number of my work one, mainly because I can't remember it.  If they can't get me at the office during work hours or leave a message at work, the world will not come to an end because someone can't contact someone else 24 hours a day.  

This whole "I need people to be able to contact me any time" is a bit precious.  

It's as invasive and pervasive as e-mail (and telemarketers), but that's a rant for another day.

Oops sorry, about the deal. We own my wife's phone. I gave them $10 for the calls I'll make about 9 months ago, and that's the last I've had to pay. They send me monthly accounts by e-mail to say I've still got a credit with them. That said I think they charge 60 cents a minute. :shock:

markTHEblake
7th January 2006, 01:12 AM
This whole "I need people to be able to contact me any time" is a bit precious.  

Perfectly spoken by a man who gets paid a wage :D

BrisWesty
7th January 2006, 07:05 AM
MTB,
Nice riposte. I don't have particular problems for someone in business.
I was referring more to the silly gits who can't or won't turn off their phone when they are in a meeting (involving potentially several million dollars of theirs), watching a movie at the cinema, at the gym, at the loo etc.
At least put it on vibrate, and find somewhere private to take the call.

Grunt
7th January 2006, 07:17 AM
I need my phone for work too, but I always miss calls, I turn it off all the time, like the time I missed a call for work calling me to go to Perth to fix a broken aircraft. It only cost me about $1200 in overtime :?

Jarro
7th January 2006, 04:29 PM
looking more than likely now that the ball-and-chain and myself will opt for the Vodafone pre-paid cards when our contract with Optus runs out.

I'm shit-scared of contracts now ... don't want another one if i can help it :wink:

thanks for all the info you've supplied people.

BrisVegas
13th January 2006, 01:54 PM
SonyEricsson K750i
http://www.imobile.com.au/PhoneReviews/default.asp?ID=reviewsaug0501

Joined VirginMobile today!! Just when I thought I was getting away from Optus at last.... Branson sells his share back to Optus! Sheesh.... :roll:

Still, it seems Optus has no plans to change Virgin at this point. It will remain a low-cost option, whilst Optus remains there for the high-end and business user.

Pick up the new SonyEricsson on Monday!! 8)

Jarro
13th January 2006, 03:42 PM
weights been lifted off your shoulders now then has it Vegas :wink:

BrisVegas
13th January 2006, 03:52 PM
weights been lifted off your shoulders now then has it Vegas  :wink:

:?: :?: errr, no. I'm back on a new 6 month contract with Virgin. Was off-contract with Optus before this....

What do you mean? :?

Jarro
13th January 2006, 03:53 PM
i mean, the decision has been made ..... no more trolling through contracts.

BrisVegas
13th January 2006, 03:58 PM
i mean, the decision has been made ..... no more trolling through contracts.
ahhh, yes. absolutely.

I was hoping to have had the phone today, so i could play with it over the weekend... bloody things are sold out at the moment.... too popular i guess!

Looking forward to next week! New phone and new clubs arrive!! :D

amanda
13th January 2006, 04:06 PM
how about isim through optus? (www.isim.com.au) Their rates are relatively cheap 39c minute and no flag fall. Includes voicemail and retrieval is cheaper than the 39c.

I've been thinking about upgrading my phone - if only to have a camera so if I catch people dumping stuff near our garbage area while I'm on my way home I can snap them!

Jarro
16th January 2006, 11:35 AM
i've narrowed down my options to the SE K750i or the Nokia 6230i, but am having a hard time deciding which one to get :-k

all my previous phones were Nokia, but i like the look of the K750i.

BrisVegas
16th January 2006, 11:40 AM
they're quite similar jarro. SE has a better camera. Nokia has speaker-phone. That's about it. Which feature is more important to you??

My sister has the SE 750i and loves it. No problems for 6 months so far.

Jarro
16th January 2006, 11:44 AM
i thought the 750i had speaker phone as well :?

BrisVegas
16th January 2006, 11:49 AM
you're right.  so it does!  my mistake. Bloody Grunt confused me...

Not sure if the 750 and 700 are the same with regards to the speakerphone...

terryand
16th January 2006, 11:51 AM
i thought the 750i had speaker phone as well  :?

It does,but you have to answer the call then go to speaker :roll:

Terry.

Jarro
16th January 2006, 11:52 AM

Terry.

from what you were telling me yesterday Tezza, you haven't had any dramas with yours 8)

terryand
16th January 2006, 11:57 AM

Terry.

from what you were telling me yesterday Tezza, you haven't had any dramas with yours  8)

True,I have the model before the K700i.

And whoever said mobile phones don't don't bounce haven't got a clue :roll:

My phone would have fallen out of my pocket 100 times amd sometimes from as high as a metre :oops: into dirt onto concrete and its still going 8)

Terry.

drunken
16th January 2006, 12:01 PM
All new nokias in the last 12 months have speakphone function as well. Nokia is smaller, its all up to you really, I've got a 6230i on the way as an insurance replacement because it was cheaper than the SE 750 from the insurance company. ie less excess

BrisVegas
16th January 2006, 12:55 PM
Jarro, there's always a new, sexier model just around the corner (you're a Taylor Made man, so you know what i'm talking about...  :wink: )

http://www.imobile.com.au/images/future/jan06/se_w810i-angle01.jpg
http://www.imobile.com.au/images/future/jan06/se_w810i-angle03.jpg
http://www.imobile.com.au/images/future/oct05/se-w900i-angle02.jpg

Jarro
16th January 2006, 02:44 PM
DAMMIT Vegas, you're not helping matters you know :x :roll:

Jarro
17th January 2006, 08:22 AM
What's Virgin's coverage like?

BrisVegas wrote :

http://www.virginmobile.com.au/services/coverage.html

Any Virgin customers on here like to comment???

any Brisbane Ozgolfers using Virgin's services wanna comment  :?:

They look to have some good plans that are reasonably priced.

Dion ... have you got yours yet :?:

BrisVegas
17th January 2006, 08:31 AM

Dion ... have you got yours yet  :?:

My sister is the "cheapest" person I know, with a good eye for bargains. :roll: :roll: She was with Orange in Melbourne (not available here), but moved to Qld this week and has gone with VirginMobile. Sure enough when I saw her on the weekend, she had the SE K750i too!

VirginMobile is owned by Optus and uses the Optus mobile network. I've had Optus for 10 years and the coverage is fine.

My phone was out of stock on Friday when I signed up, but should be able to collect it today... 8)

Which one are you looking at Mark??

Jarro
17th January 2006, 08:40 AM

Dion ... have you got yours yet  :?:

My sister is the "cheapest" person I know, with a good eye for bargains.  :roll:  :roll:  She was with Orange in Melbourne (not available here), but moved to Qld this week and has gone with VirginMobile.  Sure enough when I saw her on the weekend, she had the SE K750i too!    

VirginMobile is owned by Optus and uses the Optus mobile network.  I've had Optus for 10 years and the coverage is fine.  

My phone was out of stock on Friday when I signed up, but should be able to collect it today...  8)

Which one are you looking at Mark??

they have a $29 plan that looks good.http://www.virginmobile.com.au/rates/postpaid_phoneonus.html

I want the SE K750i while the missus wants the Nokia 6230i.

5 cent SMS between our phones will be a big decider as we only ever send each other SMS's ... we never talk on the phones as she thinks it's an excuse to nag at me for hours  :roll:

We're already with Optus so we should be able to keep our existing numbers too (i hope)

I looked at going to Telstra because we already have our home phone/internet/Foxtel with them .... but we would'nt receive any further discounts from them .... so i thought bugger it, we'll try someone else then.

BrisVegas
17th January 2006, 08:46 AM
they have a $29 plan that looks good.http://www.virginmobile.com.au/rates/postpaid_phoneonus.html

We're already with Optus so we should be able to keep our existing numbers too (i hope)

God, it's like deja vu.... all over again!  :wink:   I'm getting the $29 SE K750i and my missus wants the Nokia 6230i...  What is it with chicks and Nokias...  :roll: :lol:  Grunt's wife got the same phone too...

Doesn't matter what network you're coming from, you should be able to port your numbers across.  Even if you go pre-paid, you can still keep the number.

Jarro
17th January 2006, 08:55 AM

God, it's like deja vu.... all over again!  :wink:   I'm getting the $29 SE K750i and my missus wants the Nokia 6230i...  What is it with chicks and Nokias...  :roll: :lol:  Grunt's wife got the same phone too...

Doesn't matter what network you're coming from, you should be able to port your numbers across.  Even if you go pre-paid, you can still keep the number.

great :D

i thought about the Nokia as well, but wanted to try something else for a change :wink:

Let us know how your phone goes when you get it mate 8)

BrisVegas
17th January 2006, 04:48 PM
i thought about the Nokia as well, but wanted to try something else for a change  :wink:

Let us know how your phone goes when you get it mate  8)

Picked up the Sony Ericsson just before. Charging it up before I can play with it. Looks the business. 8)

Wife hesitated before pulling the trigger on the Nokia 6230i and went with pre-paid for the time being... ($29 for the pre-paid starter kit and you get $100 worth of calls included.)

AndyP
17th January 2006, 04:51 PM
Wife hesitated before pulling the trigger on the Nokia 6230i and went with pre-paid for the time being...  ($29 for the pre-paid starter kit and you get $100 worth of calls included.)
So how much did the phone cost?

BrisVegas
17th January 2006, 06:10 PM
she didn't get a phone.  she just got the pre-paid starter kit and kept her existing phone for now.  She WAS going to get the Nokia 6230i, but couldn't decide for sure...

My SE is $0 up front on the "Phone On Us 29" post-paid plan... ie. you pay $29 per month and get $29 included calls. Virgin pays down the phone out of that money at the rate of $15 per month. The outright cost of the phone is $360 and you have to stay on the plan for min 6 months, at which stage you'd still owe $270 if you chose to pay it out. The contract is a notional 24 months, but there are no penalties for leaving after 6 months.

Jarro
17th January 2006, 06:46 PM
exactly the plan i'm going on ..... thanks for the information Dion 8)

AndyP
17th January 2006, 11:29 PM
she didn't get a phone. she just got the pre-paid starter kit and kept her existing phone for now. She WAS going to get the Nokia 6230i, but couldn't decide for sure...
Sorry. I read it as if she hesitated, then pulled the trigger.

From the sounds of it, it looks like I will be making a move to Virgin in the not too distant future.

Jarro
19th January 2006, 02:00 PM
Dion, did you buy the phone online, or go to a Virgin store :?:

BrisVegas
19th January 2006, 03:03 PM
Dion, did you buy the phone online, or go to a Virgin store  :?:

I went in to the Virgin store on Edward St, opposite Queens Plaza. I work on the corner of Edward & Anne St, so only 100 metres for me.

Jarro
23rd January 2006, 08:32 PM
got my shiny new SEK750i delivered today 8) busy trying to work out how the hell to use all the functions it comes with :shock:

pretty prompt delivery too ... ordered them online last thursday night, received them first thing this morning 8)

all those of you that have my number, check the Ozgolf contacts thread to get my new number :wink:

mrsbrisvegas
23rd January 2006, 10:00 PM
Sorry.  I read it as if she hesitated, then pulled the trigger.

Yes I hesitated, decided to wait 6 months and get the latest model to usurp my Husband.  HEHEHEH   :wink:

MrsBrisVegas.

AndyP
24th January 2006, 11:58 AM
Why did you have a change of phone number, jarro?

Jarro
24th January 2006, 08:38 PM
Why did you have a change of phone number, jarro?

still have an existing plan going ... so i didn't want the hassle of paying it out just so i could use the old number.

Jarro
27th January 2006, 08:07 PM
How you liking the new phone Vegas :?:

BrisVegas
27th January 2006, 09:13 PM
How you liking the new phone Vegas  :?:

loving it mate. :D Have taken about 70 photos with it and used the FM radio all last week at work. We also got some cool videos of MeggieVegas doing cute baby things. Oh and I've made a few phone calls too!

How are you liking yours? 8)

Jarro
27th January 2006, 09:18 PM
How you liking the new phone Vegas  :?:

loving it mate.  :D   Have taken about 70 photos with it and used the FM radio all last week at work.  We also got some cool videos of MeggieVegas doing cute baby things.  Oh and I've made a few phone calls too!

How are you liking yours?  8)

i'm loving mine as well ... great phone. My missus got the Nokia 6230i and personally i think i got the better deal 8)

I've been busy downloading tunes to use for personal ringtones for everyone in my contacts list...... gave Tezza a preview of his today :wink:

The phone itself is awesome, and the camera is amazing ... so clear it's frightening :o

wavemaker
30th January 2006, 08:41 AM
I have read a coupla seriously critical revues of the s/e. reckon they go to hell after the honeymoon. I was seriously thinking of upgrading to one of them but think I will hang out for a while and see what else comes up. I've had 3 nokkias, all duds, the samsung I have now is slowly fading away, dunno what I will end up with.

Jarro
30th January 2006, 04:17 PM
Wavey ... what were the problems with the SE ?????

got a link to the reviews ???

wavemaker
31st January 2006, 05:11 PM
Jarro, I just stuck 750i in google and started reading different reviews. Came across a couple that mentioned screen failure and turning off as 2 of the probs that they had. Sorry, I just tried to find them again but could not. One bloke said that his went to hell in less than a month.

Jarro
31st January 2006, 05:12 PM
thanks anyway mate.

i suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens ;)

pretty happy with it so far though :)

terryand
10th February 2006, 12:23 PM
i can't believe it but telstra just waived the last 9 months ($325) of my contract,so I could replace my K700i that started to play up (might have had something to do with the rain on Monday:oops:)

I guess it pays to stay loyal sometimes.But anyway,as of Monday i will have a new W800i:shock:

Nearly jumped on the K750i bandwagon,but the 800 was on offer for nothing extra,so I thought why not.

Terry.

BrisVegas
10th February 2006, 12:26 PM
nice work Terry! That phone will go nicely with your Harrison shafts...

markTHEblake
10th February 2006, 04:13 PM
i can't believe it but telstra just waived the last 9 months ($325)

I cant beleive it either.

When my contract expired Telstra didnt tell me. I eventually worked it out when my plan benefits stopped and my bill went up (a lot)

I asked them what deals they had if they were serious about keeping me, as i was spending $150 a month, and $400 a month to Telstra in total, and basically they just handed me a brochure or pointed me to the website. And that included their retention area, countrywide and a telstra shop.

Needless to say they lost their $150 per month and the other $250 will follow eventually.

AndyP
23rd February 2006, 03:34 PM
From the sounds of it, it looks like I will be making a move to Virgin in the not too distant future.
Well, I'm now looking to change both the missus and myself to whatever is the cheapest pre-paid deal going around.
We don't use our phones very much. A few SMSs here and there. The occasional call (I'm always fearful of making a casual call as they cost about $1/minute, I think). And check the voicemail sometimes too.
I don't really need to get a new phone either, even though mine is pretty old.

Virgin seems like the go....maybe

I just tried to get on Telstra's site to check the latest plans, but it kept crashing & giving me 'internal server errors'
How did you go with finding a new plan after the termination of the $10/month deal? All I wanted was to find out cost/services details in a table like format, and neither the Telstra or Optus sites were very helpful.

Wife hesitated before pulling the trigger on the Nokia 6230i and went with pre-paid for the time being... ($29 for the pre-paid starter kit and you get $100 worth of calls included.)
This sounds good. I can only see a $19.95 for $20 credit deal on their website though.
Might have a walk down to Edward St.

markTHEblake
14th March 2006, 12:38 AM
I just picked up one of these suckers from Three for free on a $69 plan. Now cross my fingers that i can stay within that cap limit...

Main reason i got this phone was becuase there is GPS navigation software available for it now, so now i get John Cleese given me directions everywhere i go ( no more turning up at the wrong golf course ). its TomTom version 5 so if anyone else has a Symbian version phone you can install it too.

I've also replaced the 'desktop' with a custom one thats removed all the Three crap, and there is heaps of software you can get. Its amazing that this thing is more powerfull than my first PC.

http://www.three.com.au/images/130_v2_a1000_lrg_3DE60.jpg

BrisVegas
28th March 2006, 09:52 AM
SonyEricsson is bringing out a 3.2 megapixel camera phone this quarter... The K790i & K800i

http://www.imobile.com.au/Future/default.asp?ID=futuremar0601

upgrades over the K750i include a 240 x 320 pixel LCD and 16x zoom!

Hopefully VirginMobile picks it up on a reasonably priced plan as my wife's holding out for a new phone still...

goughy
4th November 2006, 12:32 PM
Rehash thread time. I'm after a new phone and plan.

Currently on telstra 49cap which has suited me. Don't need pda features. Only talk and txt on them. Vodafone have a 49cap with 280 worth of stuff I'd use and can get a nokia 6288 with no phone repayments. Seems ok to me. Spoke to a few other stores and they were trying to talk me out of the free phone and that I should buy one outright or pay it off like 28bucks a month. They reckon that if something goes wrong with the phone the free deals are a bugger for getting it fixed.

I figure that if nothing goes wrong with my phone then paying for one over the free one cost me 28bucks a month more than free. And I've never had a prob with nokia.

Anyone else we should be looking out for?

goughy
4th November 2006, 12:57 PM
Also, what about the 3 network. Seems some good deals there, and can get a pre-paid for robyn and can talk between us pretty cheap.

AndyP
4th November 2006, 01:43 PM
What's wrong with your current phone and just changing plans?

I just use a pre-paid cheapy deal with Virgin, so I'm no use to you.

goughy
4th November 2006, 01:54 PM
I'm changing because of the phone. The buttons are stuffed, have been for a while now. have to press hard to get them to react and then I get 5 of the button I pressed.

Anyone have any experience with '3'. Their packages seem pretty good, and if rob goes pre-paid with them then I can call her free, and she can call me for 25c. And I can get a phone.

And you have your uses Mr P, but this ain't one of them.

goughy
4th November 2006, 04:39 PM
Looks like it might be vodafone for me. 49cap plan with 280bucks calls which is similar to the telstra plan I'm on. Free nokia 6288w 512mb card or nokia 6233 with no phone repayments.

The only deal that came close was with '3', and since there is no coverage in toowoomba that was pretty much out. Telstra had no interest, and neither did some other stores. And I thought I was good at bargaining.

Wonder how this works tho. Vodafone says 94.5% coverage (population I guess, not land mass) and '3' says 96%. But there's no '3' coverage in toowoomba. Seems a bit off.

goughy
4th November 2006, 09:53 PM
Bit stuck on the phone choice. options of the 6288 as above, and possibly the 6233 and the 5500. The 5500 is the new version of my current phone, which I am only getting rid of because the buttons are stuffed (something I read about after I got the phone). Any thoughts. I'm bad at making decisions.

Jarro
5th November 2006, 02:03 AM
I'm bad at making decisions.

.. so we've noticed :roll: :razz:

Trung
5th November 2006, 05:44 AM
I just picked up one of these suckers from Three for free on a $69 plan. Now cross my fingers that i can stay within that cap limit...

Planning plenty of calls to asian women at bangkok?

Iain
8th November 2006, 10:57 AM
Planning plenty of calls to asian women at bangkok?

Bit of a late dig there Trungie!!!

Courty
10th January 2007, 08:49 AM
Okay people, feast your eyes on this (http://www.apple.com/iphone/).

CobraSS
10th January 2007, 11:00 AM
jeeeez I think a spambot hijacked Courty's account..............:shock:

peter_rs
10th January 2007, 11:04 AM
3 is great.

Fishman Dan
10th January 2007, 11:17 AM
Nice one Courty... what can I say but... highly sexual!!! :smt118 :smt060

Grunt
23rd April 2007, 07:25 AM
Any Advice for the current batch of phones? Need to get a new one today, probably will stick it out with Virgin as I for once have not had any problems with a carrier.

Smashed the screen :oops: on mine at work on Saturday night, must have known something about the contract period coming to an end. :roll:

Why does everyone send sms's the day the screen is smashed and I can't read them? :?

goughy
23rd April 2007, 07:33 AM
vodaphone's been doing the nokia e65 on $49/mnth with $250 calls. Maybe virgin doing something the same. Battery life on the n80 is supposedly poor.

gazgolf1
23rd April 2007, 01:35 PM
Any Advice for the current batch of phones? Need to get a new one today, probably will stick it out with Virgin as I for once have not had any problems with a carrier.

Smashed the screen :oops: on mine at work on Saturday night, must have known something about the contract period coming to an end. :roll:

Why does everyone send sms's the day the screen is smashed and I can't read them? :?

Got a new Motorola KRZR K1 recently....$45 cap with Virgin over 24 months which gives me $250 worth of calls,text blah blah and the phone is chucked in for nix.Not to sure whether the phone is state of the art or not but I can take photos,video with it and people ring me on it so thats all I need. :)
This is the plan.

https://www.virginmobile.com.au/selfcare/MyAccount/store/1-displayphone_installment.jsp

Grunt
23rd April 2007, 02:45 PM
I went out and upgraded this afternoon. Got a Nokia 6228 for $0 on the same $45 plan I was on with Virgin.

dc68
23rd April 2007, 02:54 PM
Pics?

BrisVegas
23rd April 2007, 03:00 PM
google images dave!

dc68
23rd April 2007, 03:27 PM
Sorry I should have added +1 below that.

+1

AndyP
20th November 2007, 03:48 PM
How much do you punters use the cameras in your mobile phones?

I'm looking at a getting a basic Nokia, and have the choice of the Nokia 6030 at $59 or the Nokia 5070 at $79 (which has camera, radio & MP3 ringtones).
https://www.virginmobile.com.au/shop/ProductComparison.aspx?ProductID=227

It will be good to go back to the familiar Nokia. I wasn't a big fan of the LG.

PeteyD
20th November 2007, 03:50 PM
not much but I am not an upskirt sort of a guy. MP3 ringtones are cool though.

BrisVegas
20th November 2007, 03:50 PM
I use the camera heaps. At 2.1 megapixel, the photos are actually pretty decent when printed 6x4. It's very handy to have a camera with you at all times. Next time around, I'll try and get a 3.2 megapixel camera phone.

andylo
20th November 2007, 03:53 PM
N95 from Nokia?

kpac
20th November 2007, 03:56 PM
i only use my phone as a phone, but more and more i seem to be the odd one out. A lot of mates use there phone as a camera alot. I hate phones tho!!

markTHEblake
20th November 2007, 04:02 PM
Unit was taking heaps of pics with his mobile phone on Saturday night. If he checks his camera it might fill in the blanks.

Talk about filling in blanks, Leah took some snaps of DC68 that should be destroyed

Jarro
20th November 2007, 04:05 PM
I use the camera on mine heaps ... the picture i took of Dick69 wearing that ridiculous outfit was taken using it.

AndyP
20th November 2007, 04:13 PM
MP3 ringtones are cool though.I don't need it, but yes, way cool. ;) As long as you can upload from your PC.

I use the camera heaps. At 2.1 megapixel, the photos are actually pretty decent when printed 6x4. It's very handy to have a camera with you at all times. Next time around, I'll try and get a 3.2 megapixel camera phone.
I don't think of taking a photo often, but on our golf days it could be handy.
I'm not sure that the camera is that good on this one?

I trying to convince myself that I don't need it, despite wanting it (didn't stop me with the Ping irons :roll:)

i only use my phone as a phone, but more and more i seem to be the odd one out. A lot of mates use there phone as a camera alot. I hate phones tho!!Mine is mostly a receiver of calls or texter.
I'm not a huge fan of them.

N95 from Nokia?For someone who hardly uses a phone, I'm thinking that it's not really an option.

And no Courty, I don't need an iPhone.

BrisVegas
20th November 2007, 04:28 PM
I use the camera on mine heaps ... the picture i took of Dick69 wearing that ridiculous outfit was taken using it.

I got the same phone as jarro. The (old) Sony Ericsson K750i. Here's a sample pic....

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/603/dsc04992ll8.th.jpg (http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc04992ll8.jpg)

markTHEblake
20th November 2007, 04:29 PM
I don't think of taking a photo often, but on our golf days it could be handy.

i take heaps of photos with my phone, and i never remember to look at them again.

I still got photos in there from a pacific golf day.

Courty
20th November 2007, 05:39 PM
And no Courty, I don't need an iPhone.
:-#

Iain
20th November 2007, 06:05 PM
Unit was taking heaps of pics with his mobile phone on Saturday night. If he checks his camera it might fill in the blanks.

Nah, I remember all those ones....

Fishman Dan
20th November 2007, 06:16 PM
Harvey Norman. Huge range of phones, and a free Canon Ixus 7 camera to sign up on a 2 year contract.

Can't get much better than that.

Moe Norman
20th November 2007, 10:27 PM
my blackberry has a pretty fancy camera on it, and I've taken heaps of pics.

No idea how to get them off it though!

990B Luva
20th November 2007, 11:14 PM
I have an N95, great phone, with a few problems though, battery lasts about a day, camera is F*CKING AWESOME 5megapixel camera, will have the throw that pic of DC and Blakey up though

markTHEblake
20th November 2007, 11:39 PM
Nah, I remember all those ones....

Ah thats right, you used your camera early, its the later photos with Leah's camera that will be the shame job.

Jarro
21st November 2007, 02:37 AM
Ah thats right, you used your camera early, its the later photos with Leah's camera that will be the shame job.

:lol:

He wont have a friggin clue what happened then :smt038

Grunt
10th December 2007, 07:27 PM
Rachelle upgraded her phone today to the Nokia 65?? nice looking phone for $0

BrisVegas
7th January 2008, 02:15 PM
The missus and i have been with Virgin for a couple of years now and our contracts were up. Looked around at cheap deals for calls and texts to each other. Ended up staying with Virgin on a $20 plan. Includes $50 credit each month, but importantly all calls and texts to other Virgin mobiles are free. The $20 cap plans come with a choice of a few phones, so I grabbed a new Sony Ericsson W610i and Sandy got a Nokia 6300. Both have 2 meg cameras, bluetooth, radio, mp3 etc. I don't use my phone as a PDA or a GPS, and dont' watch TV on it, so wasn't looking for anything too flash.

I wasn't really looking for a new phone until this weekend when my K750i caught White Screen of Death. That was just the incentive I needed to start browsing!

https://www.virginmobile.com.au/shop/images/product/Sony_Ericsson_W610i/popup_Sony_Ericsson_W610i.jpg https://www.virginmobile.com.au/shop/images/product/Nokia_6300/popup_Nokia_6300.jpg
SE W610i (https://www.virginmobile.com.au/shop/p-212-sony-ericsson-w610i.aspx#) Nokia 6300 (https://www.virginmobile.com.au/shop/p-176-nokia-6300.aspx)

goughy
19th January 2008, 09:05 AM
Any of you tech guys had anything to do with this, or heard anything about it?
http://www.asia.htc.com/Asia/au/products/smart_c730/smart_c730_fea.html

The worst thing I've heard is the battery life, but a bigger battery is only about $25 on ebay. Also complaints about the keyboard size, but that's usual for all these types of phones (blackjack, motoq9 etc)

Jarro
19th January 2008, 02:47 PM
I wasn't really looking for a new phone until this weekend when my K750i caught White Screen of Death.

DAMN, i hope that doesn't mean mine is gonna stuff up soon as well :shock:

We ended up changing to another Virgin deal .... $30 pre-paid ..... seemed like a pretty good deal, and we can change it anytime we like if we're not happy with it.

Owning the phones outright now is a pretty good plus as well :D

kev
20th January 2008, 08:38 PM
Any of you tech guys had anything to do with this, or heard anything about it?
http://www.asia.htc.com/Asia/au/products/smart_c730/smart_c730_fea.html

<snip>

You are better off going for the TyTn II or the 838 Pro. If the keyboard is a concern, these are slightly better, and we haven't had any concerns with battery life. Mind you they are docked every day or two to sync the calendar etc.

goughy
20th January 2008, 08:57 PM
I don't want the slide out keyboard. I'd like something a bit smaller and lighter than them. And the c730 is like half the price but still plenty of features.

goughy
27th September 2008, 04:55 PM
Well, finally the BlackjackII is coming to telstra. Yes yes there is the iPhone guys, I know!!! But I don't mind my current blackjack - it's simple and works. And the BJII is going to be available for $0 on a $30/mnth plan. Good for me.

BrisVegas
29th September 2008, 08:44 AM
that's great news Dean. :lol:

Jarro
21st December 2008, 06:43 PM
Anybody use the Sony Ericsson C-905 ?

I'm thinking of upgrading my phone through Virgin Mobile.

jaybam
21st December 2008, 08:52 PM
No but got the wife a sony ericsson phone the other day and she thinks its great. The fact they threw in a wii as well was an added advantage :)

goughy
21st December 2008, 09:18 PM
Where did you get this through JB??? My bil is after a new phone and plan and was looking for one with a Wii deal!

markTHEblake
21st December 2008, 09:29 PM
Anybody use the Sony Ericsson C-905 ?

I'm thinking of upgrading my phone through Virgin Mobile.

lemme know what kind of deal they offer you, the missus contract comes up in a few days and she is keen on getting a new phone and staying on three.

For new customers or accounts, you can get a $100 credit by entering "100special" online and then also 3 months half price (i checked this by going halfway through an online order, it works) But in my experience with three they will try to tell you it doesnt apply for upgrades.

jaybam
21st December 2008, 10:06 PM
Goughy i went to Strathfield and got her the phone on the 49 dollar optus cap. Also cause i am with optus it gives us 5 min free phone calls to each other as well as the 300 credit a month. The phone is the Sony Ericsson w880i. A bit of an older model but does the trick just nicley. Wow sight and sound also have a wii deal but is on a telstra 30 dollar plan which only includes 30 dollars of calls but then there is also a 30 dollar handset repayment a month on top of that. So ends up being a lot more expensive. :)

Eag's
6th January 2009, 10:39 AM
My contract has just run out with Vodafone (who have terrible coverage buy the way :roll:) so time to sign up to a new plan. Looking at either 3G or Telstra on one of their $30-$50 caps. I might end up going with Telstra purely for the fact I will get coverage everywhere. The amount of times I got zero coverage with Vodafone was bloody anoying to say the least.

Anybody on here with 3G and how do you find their coverage?

poidda
6th January 2009, 10:53 AM
My contract has just run out with Vodafone (who have terrible coverage buy the way :roll:) so time to sign up to a new plan. Looking at either 3G or Telstra on one of their $30-$50 caps. I might end up going with Telstra purely for the fact I will get coverage everywhere. The amount of times I got zero coverage with Vodafone was bloody anoying to say the least.

Anybody on here with 3G and how do you find their coverage?

Eags, I just ditched vodafone for exactly the same reason. Coverage is shyte. especially on Straddie. ;)

I look at telstra and they're plans are a rip.

I ended up going with Three Mobile. They are much cheaper and when you don't have three 3G coverage they roam on telstra anyway. (not 3G though)

I have been extremely happy with them for the last 6 months. My Mrs just signed up to this plan last week, and got the free mobile broadband key thrown in. Great little phone as well.
http://store.three.com.au/mobiles/Nokia-6500-Slide-29-Cap

Eag's
6th January 2009, 11:01 AM
Cheers for that mate, my missus will be upgrading as well so their plans look the most appealing :smt023

gazgolf1
6th January 2009, 12:12 PM
I ended up going with Three Mobile.

I'll be going with 3 next too, their plans seem to have the most value and I've already got the wife on 3 so we will save some money when we call each other.
I've been with Virgin for years but when the missus's contract ran out last year I dropped into Virgin's store in the city to sign her up for a deal I spotted on their website....guess what? they said that deal was internet only and they would not honour it.
I've got a few months to go on my contract and then Virgin can kiss my hairy butt.

macjackass
6th January 2009, 01:32 PM
FWIW, I have not been with 3 myself but have not heard many good things. Lots of dropouts. This has been from 5 or so different people.

Grunt
6th January 2009, 01:42 PM
In Sydney it all depends where you live for the deal. Telstra coverage near my place is crap and Optus/Virgin are the best.

virge666
6th January 2009, 04:04 PM
I have 5 sets of business clients with 3.

Very cheap on the cost front but awful in customer service and coverage. Just awful. My brother is on the 23rd floor of the Chifley Building in the city and his 3 phone does not work ! The whole company is on 3 and they cannot use their mobiles in the city CBD offices...

Laughed my arse off when they told me.

poidda
6th January 2009, 04:18 PM
I have 5 sets of business clients with 3.

Very cheap on the cost front but awful in customer service and coverage. Just awful. My brother is on the 23rd floor of the Chifley Building in the city and his 3 phone does not work ! The whole company is on 3 and they cannot use their mobiles in the city CBD offices...

Laughed my arse off when they told me.

That must be a building thing no?!?! 3 roam on Telstra, so if can't get 3 the telstra network picks it up. So if they can't use their phone, even on telstra, than they won't be able to use them on any network?!?!

virge666
6th January 2009, 05:58 PM
I thought that - but it is something to do with the height the local 3 tower/sender/technology used . . .

It is at a height where you lose about 6-10m of coverage vertically for some wacked out reason. I just thought someone may have thought to have tested it out first before buying 40-odd handsets and sim cards.

I am a Vodafone person only due to the $149 cap plan... will change to Virgin's or Optus' new plan of $99 all you can eat with 2GB of data as soon as the plan is out in April.

I use to be with Optus but the bills just made my head hurt. They made no sense at all, and the $149 cap was always $170 dollars due to some reason or another...

Now I just get a bill for $149. each and every month.

goughy
6th January 2009, 06:49 PM
I recently dropped telstra for optus cause of the plan costs. And got the phone I really wanted on the plan I was getting anyway for free through an internet deal. Happy as so far.

markTHEblake
6th January 2009, 07:06 PM
will change to Virgin's or Optus' new plan of $99 all you can eat with 2GB of data as soon as the plan is out in April.

which will suck if you have to ring lots of 13/1300/1800 numbers as they are not included in those caps (i ring heaps so no good to me)

Couple of exciting things to look out for in the near future, so suggest not signing anything right now

In Feb, Three will expand their roaming agreement with telstra to use the NextG network on top ofthe GSM, This will improve their coverage by a lot, however you will need to make sure you get a Dual band UMTS phone that supports both 2100 & 850, becuase there are very few phones in this category. At Three only a handful of late model Nokias do. I wouldnt be signing any contract with Three until their new product and pricing for this is released, yuo dont want to be caught out if the changes are significant.

If anything it will probably make their single band UMTS phones cheaper as they will be obseleting them.

Likewise with optus which need to be dual band 2100/900, there are not so many phones, but they seem to have more than Three. They market these phones as Yes G.

I cant remember if there are any phones that are tri-band UMTS 850/900/2100 for all AU networks yet.

If you do not need a new Phone, Three's prepaid caps represent significant value, they give double call value than everyone else, include data, and unused credit rolls over. I'd be all over that if not for.....

Pennytel.com (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/www.pennytel.com) will shortly release a mobile service. the expected pricing is $8pm, $0.08 for 30 sec and $0.08 flagfall. The killer feature is that calls to their Voip dial in number are free, so you can have mobile voip pricing on your mobile, like call anywhere in the world for $0.08 untimed.

Minor_Threat
6th January 2009, 07:16 PM
Not that it is too relevant to this thread, I thought I would tell you guys about the awesome corporate plan I am on with Optus.

• Straight out call charges only
• No flagfall
• No minimum spend
• 5.5c for 30 seconds
• 17.5c SMS

Its been bloody great, have had a few $5 bills, I could even get the missus on a slightly worse plan of 7.5c for 30 seconds. Only downside is no data allowances (yet..) and BYO phone.

Eag's
6th January 2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for that Blake I will check out what phones will suit the new service.

markTHEblake
7th January 2009, 09:48 PM
Eags, if ordering online at three.com.au is enter the promo code "100special" during the process for a $100 credit. It worked 2 weeks ago when i did a dummy run, and too my surprise they gave 1/2 price for the first 3 months on top of that, although there was no info about it anywhere.

the gossip also is three will have some new pricing tomorrow, $10 off for 12 months on $29 plan on selected phones.

edit: yep $100 credit still works.

Eag's
7th January 2009, 10:13 PM
Righto shall do :smt023

Eag's
9th January 2009, 05:52 PM
Ok ended up going with Three, Blakey cheers for the heads up on the new deals :smt023
The missus chose the Sony Ericsson K660i on the $29 Cap for 24mths but gets the first 12 mths for $19 a month 8-) plus she gets $100 credit on her first bill.
I went for the Sony Ericsson C702 on the $29 Cap over 24mths, they should be delivered buy Wed next week :)

markTHEblake
9th January 2009, 06:24 PM
you didnt get the $100 off on both?

Eag's
9th January 2009, 08:59 PM
you didnt get the $100 off on both?

No, that only applied to certain phones, but we are still very happy with what we got.

adlo
31st January 2009, 09:17 PM
After my mobile was stolen last week, finally picked up a new phone today.

Nokia 6220.... look in the games folder and find Tiger Woods PGA Tour. Hope it is sweet.

goughy
7th February 2009, 02:22 PM
My lovely samsung omnia went for a swim today when a kid in kyan's swimming class decided to jump into the pool away from where the instructors were who didn't see him. His parents called to the instructors but they didn't hear them, so I jumped in and got him out. Phone was in my pocket.

So now I've probably gotta get it replaced by someone! I can't afford to do it myself and shouldn't have to anyway. Maybe it'll dry out but I'm concerned the chlorine will do something to it that won't go bang for like 3 months.

Pissed!

Eag's
7th February 2009, 03:01 PM
Bummer mate :( good onya for helping the kid though :smt038

Jarro
23rd February 2009, 03:47 PM
My new Sony Ericsson C-905 should be here tomorrow or wednesday 8)

Virgin threw in 1Gb of data allowance for the first month as a bonus .... letting me play around with the GPS on the phone :)

Grunt
23rd February 2009, 03:51 PM
What plan was that on Jarro? I have a Virgin phone at the moment and my contract is up next month.

Jarro
23rd February 2009, 03:54 PM
Grunt, i'm on the free-to-V $30 p/month plan

Seems to be good for what i need.

Grunt
23rd February 2009, 03:56 PM
OK, I am on the $45 at the moment. Rachelle is on Virgin too so we use the mobiles as our points of contact. Will look at what they offer next month.

gazgolf1
22nd March 2009, 07:30 PM
Hey Blakey any more good deals coming up with 3mobile ? You seem to have the good oil.

gazgolf1
22nd March 2009, 08:01 PM
I need a new phone and I'm looking to grab one on the $29 cap with 3. I don't really care about MP3's or web browsing on the phone just need it to be reliable and easy to use.
Which one would you pick out of these.
http://store.three.com.au/mobilesLanding.aspx?cap=29&campId=3

adlo
22nd March 2009, 08:14 PM
Gaz, I recently grabbed the 6220 and really like it. It has some features there if people want them, but I was looking for a phone with easy to use keypad and preferrably the Nokia OS.

I have heard the 6500 slide is problematic.

Also, as Blakey said, you would be best to get a phone that operates on the right bands for future convenience.

goughy
22nd March 2009, 08:15 PM
I'm assuming your only looking at the ones you can get free on that cap??

The LG Viewty I think is a touch screen only and has this stylus thingy which attaches to the side of it. My omnia has the same and it's a pain the ass. But I don't need to use it, but I don't know about it with the Viewty. Personally, it would suck.

If you want a bit more than a basic phone, I'd look at the Nokia E63. Pretty much a pda using the symbian system which is tried and true. Full qwerty keyboard. A lot of the nokia's have turn by turn gps but it is usually locked to nokia and requires a subscription fee. But this is reputed to be a great phone.

Motorola Q9 is getting long in the tooth. Been around for a long time by phone standards.

gazgolf1
22nd March 2009, 08:16 PM
Anyone tried the LG Secret (KF750)?
Virgin have it on their $45 cap + $4 per month so it seems good value on 3's $29 cap.

adlo
22nd March 2009, 08:19 PM
I have had a look at it, and used it a bit, not a fan. Don't like LG phones in general.

goughy
22nd March 2009, 08:21 PM
http://www.gsmarena.com/
Your best friend for phone info!

gazgolf1
22nd March 2009, 08:22 PM
http://www.gsmarena.com/
Your best friend for phone info!

Ta Dean will check it out.

markTHEblake
23rd March 2009, 12:03 AM
Gaz, i beleive the '100special' promo code still works.

also if i was looking at Three, i would be making sure that the Phone supports 3G Dual band on 2100 & 900. I reckon that the deal Three is going to do with Telstra to use 3G roaming on 850 will be off the table now that the merger with Vodafone is happening.

(thats assuming that Vodafone is rolling out 3G on 900 in the country areas, just like Optus is, I never really paid much attention to Voda's tech.)

gazgolf1
23rd March 2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks Blakey....any other phone recomendations people?

Grunt
5th April 2009, 06:15 AM
Upgraded my old Nokia 6288 yesterday, I stayed with Virgin as it was good with Rachelle having one too (free Calls). I got the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, part of the deal was unlimited music downloads for 12 months and this was the swinger for me.
The phone has all the basic feature and has GPS if you want to use it, is a fee based service if you want directions. It has the tilt thing like the IPhone too, touch screen and 3.2 Mp camera.

markTHEblake
5th April 2009, 03:09 PM
The phone has all the basic feature and has GPS if you want to use it, is a fee based service if you want directions.

what is the fee? that is never disclosed in any of the phone adverts nor seems to be on their websites

Grunt
5th April 2009, 04:37 PM
Will look for it MTB. I dont intend using it so I was not bothered.

just
22nd May 2009, 08:45 AM
I was driving to work today and happened to look out the window spy a very beautiful blonde woman in a Porsche Cayenne eating a carrot.....

....of course my first thought was I need a new mobile phone to take pictures. Any suggestions?

Beetle34
23rd May 2009, 01:48 AM
I'm on the TPG $19.99 plan which is like $49 vodafone cap = $300, uses the optus network through soul. I'm in Mount Isa so if it works here it'll work anywhere. Check it out http://www.tpg.com.au/mobile/plans.html.

zigwah
23rd May 2009, 01:58 AM
my advice would be if you can get eireless internet ,go voip fot lamdlines ftom mynrtfone 10 cents unrimed nationally and go prepaid for mobile 1 cent texts not sure of the min call rate

geez im pissed

henno
23rd May 2009, 09:01 AM
English mother****er, do you speak it?

adlo
23rd May 2009, 09:05 AM
English mother****er, do you speak it?

It is more fun if you read his posts with random accents.

henno
23rd May 2009, 09:10 AM
Try reading that one with the "Swedish Chef" accent.

http://nonrhotic.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/swedishchef460.jpg

Scooobly-ooobly bork bork boogly

adlo
23rd May 2009, 09:12 AM
That works

adlo
21st June 2009, 12:40 AM
3 mobile have finally got the iPhone coming in July.

I guess I will drink some more Kool Aid next time I need a handset. They should be cheaper then too.

Johnny Canuck
21st June 2009, 01:31 AM
my advice would be if you can get eireless internet ,go voip fot lamdlines ftom mynrtfone 10 cents unrimed nationally and go prepaid for mobile 1 cent texts not sure of the min call rate

geez im pissed

Just saw this. Post of the year.

adlo
21st June 2009, 01:33 AM
Thought you would like Henno's reply too.

Johnny Canuck
21st June 2009, 01:53 AM
Loved it. What ain't no country I've ever heard of.

Webster
5th November 2009, 02:52 PM
I'm looking for a change away from 3 (been with em for about 6 years). I'm a low call user, but increasingly need more broadband time (minimum 200mb / month). Any suggestions on a good deal/new plan?

Thanks, Jack.

markTHEblake
8th November 2010, 10:03 PM
I just bought a Garmin-Asus A50 from Dick Smith $199 (http://dicksmith.com.au/product/E6756/optus-garmin-nuvi-asus-a50-pre-paid-mobile-phone) special started today.
Its an Optus prepaid, says it is locked on the box, but it is not. My Three sim worked straight up.
It runs Android 1.6 and is also a normal Garmin navigator with preloaded maps.

There are a lot of decent entry level Androids going around from $200-400, but considering most Navigators are $150, plus the upgrade to android is rumoured to be weeks away, and with a 3.5" screen, and unlocked this is a genuine bargain for $200.

I also signed up with Liveconnected.me (http://www.liveconnected.me/index.php/sim-only/discovery-series/item/discovery-11) on the $11pm cap, that gives me calls at an effective rate of $0.03 per min, SMS at less than 1c, and 500mb of data.

markTHEblake
23rd November 2010, 01:42 AM
The update for my new Garminfone to Android 2.1 is available now. That makes it a huge bargain for a neat $200

WBennett
23rd November 2010, 10:37 AM
Blakey

I looked at liveconnected but the reviews on Whirlpool turned me off. How have you found them?

I've just gone with Vodaphone on a $45 plan with unlimted calls and texts domestically and 1GB of data for $55 per month including a Sony Ericcson Xperia.

Seeing as I got my first mobile, a Nokia 5110 in 1996ish at $55 a month for about 8 calls permitted a month and no texts to other carriers (!), I reckon its pretty good value.

markTHEblake
23rd November 2010, 07:30 PM
I looked at liveconnected but the reviews on Whirlpool turned me off. How have you found them?

I read the reviews on whirpool, didnt bother me, Its on the Optus network so you get Optus service quality, whatever that means for people.

Looking under the hood of this business there is a company called Telco in a Box, (http://telcoinabox.rtrk.com.au) that sells a Turnkey mobile phone telcos, and all the Franchisees have to supply is the manpower, advertising and customer service. The entry cost is $55k. Have noticed a bunch of new phone companies cropping up with plenty of cheap deals for SIM only mobiles, and likely they are all the same. A lot of people might get turned off by "just a reseller" but I couldnt give a rats. If they went belly up the Franchisor would absorb the customers, or someone would buy it out. I have never heard of a phone company going broke and people losing their phone numbers. Someone always buys the customers.

How reliable the billing is remains to be seen, IMHO people that get large data bills are muppets (i bet they have iphones). Learn to turn 3G data off, and only turn it on when you need it :-)

That Voda $45 is a great deal, but i couldnt use the phone enough. For one that battery wouldnt last a day if i was hammering it with that many calls and data.

goughy
15th December 2010, 07:21 PM
Well, we've been off the net for while with a faulty RIM in our neighbourhood. Went down friday and just got it back an hour ago. While we're not with Telstra it is their problem, and they have not been very forthcoming to us and to the providers for us and our neighbours for when it will be fixed. This morning the latest update with our provider was the Telstra was saying not before Friday!

Clikchic had used up her data allowance this month so I rang Telstra for her (her mobile provider) and told them the story and asked what they could do for her. They upgraded her data from 200mg to 1gig permanently at no extra cost.

So I thought, I should try this myself with Optus. So I rang them as well. They were happy to upgrade my plan to 1.5gig data and add in an extra $50 of calls on top of my current allowance. This basically changed me to the current plan allowances rather than what I was on from a few months ago. But she also slung $150 of credit into my account as well! Smiles for me today.

zacdullard
11th February 2011, 05:42 PM
I just got the HTC Ledgend on the Vodafone Infinate 45 plan. It's and awesome phone and an awesome plan. I get unlimited calls, unlimited messages plus 1GB of data.

I just have 1 question. My phone has android 2.1 on it, can somebody please tell me how to install version 2.2 on it. Or even version 2.3 but im not sure if it is released yet.

markTHEblake
11th February 2011, 06:12 PM
IMHO: Zac if you have to ask, you should not be doing it.

rubin
11th February 2011, 06:18 PM
IMHO: Zac if you have to ask, you should not be doing it.

Too true. for those of us without the necessary degree in Quantum Physics, we'll stuff it up.

KristianJ
11th February 2011, 06:20 PM
I just got the HTC Ledgend on the Vodafone Infinate 45 plan. It's and awesome phone and an awesome plan. I get unlimited calls, unlimited messages plus 1GB of data.

I just have 1 question. My phone has android 2.1 on it, can somebody please tell me how to install version 2.2 on it. Or even version 2.3 but im not sure if it is released yet.

http://blog.vodafone.com.au/blog/news/htc-legend-2-2-update/

zacdullard
11th February 2011, 06:45 PM
Ok, i'll leave it alone. I was just hoping that there would be a simple way to do it. Do you reckon if i took it into the vodafone shop they would help me out, or tell me to get stuffed?

goughy
12th February 2011, 07:38 AM
2.3 will officially only be available for google developement phones atm, the nexus s and the neus I think it is. The vodafone link stated that an over the air update will occur in the coming month (approx). You'll get a message on your phone from vodafone that an ota update is available and I'd say that will have instruction on how to do it. Make sure your phone is fully chrged first and follow the instructions. Should be pretty seamless for you that way. You could install a custom rom yourself, but read up like crazy about it first, and if you're even 5% unsure what your doing don't do it and wait for the ota update.

Personally, wait for the ota update. It seems not far away.

Dave
22nd February 2011, 11:31 AM
Does anyone know how long i can have left on a contract before telstra will buy it out?

goughy
12th April 2014, 10:05 AM
Rather than start a new thread, I'll mine here.

Off contract at the end of this month, and thinking of heading away from the telstra/optus bandwagon. Not planning on upgrading my phone, and clikchic is in the same boat in a few months and wants to do the same thing. Currently we have our home phones and internet with iinet who we've been happy with so our first thought is to go with them, who use optus which we are already used to anyway. But we don't know much about what options are out there. I'm on a galaxy s3, 3g version only and she has an iphone 5 4g. I'd rather not have something that requires a contract term either, so I could flip if not happy.

What I'm wondering is is there any performance difference going to one of these 'resellers' as opposed to sticking with T/O? Like if the network is getting busy do you get booted off in favour of their own customers? Or do you get a 'lower' quality signal, in particular internet with them? And I'm assuming you still keep away from Vodafone? Wouldn't mind something that gives us free calls to each other, but not really necessary as we're not really high call users.

Also, we have my old phone which is used by Jas, but I keep it and only give it to her when we feel it will be of advantage for her to have it. It's on an old vodafone 'no plans' contract, so unless a call is made it costs us nothing a month. I would consider taking that phone over to another place as well if it was worth our while to have all 3 there. Otherwise it can just stay on what it is.

Any suggestions?

MegaWatty
12th April 2014, 10:09 AM
Telstra have only made their NextG network available to resellers so you'll get their quality 3G network but not their 4G network. Still good but not as good if that makes sense.

goughy
12th April 2014, 11:34 AM
That's what I was thinking, probably still a bit better than optus. And much better for clikchic.

MegaWatty
12th April 2014, 11:56 AM
Aldi is still one of the best deals out there.

markTHEblake
12th April 2014, 06:37 PM
Optus resellers are Optus. No difference

goughy
12th April 2014, 07:04 PM
Talking about cost, not network mtb.

markTHEblake
12th April 2014, 07:08 PM
Coulda fooled me
What I'm wondering is is there any performance difference going to one of these 'resellers' as opposed to sticking with T/O? Like if the network is getting busy do you get booted off in favour of their own customers? Or do you get a 'lower' quality signal, in particular internet with them?

goughy
12th April 2014, 07:23 PM
Oh, so sorry mtb. You are correct. I have found some stuff online about Telstra resellers, and how some only have 3g (fine for me but not cc) and that some don't actually get access to the full network.

markTHEblake
12th April 2014, 07:36 PM
Oh, so sorry mtb. You are correct..Just wanted to frame this.

I don't think you will find many better deals than Vaya, Live Connected, and Amaysim. But it does depend on your usage of course.

Steve57
12th April 2014, 07:52 PM
I'm looking at changing my wife's phone over to Live Connected when her contract with Optus expires next month.
Far cheaper to use the same network and no contract!

goughy
12th April 2014, 08:53 PM
Does anyone know anything about boost mobile? I read they are the only ones to get the full Telstra 4g network, but scar as I can see their plans are only prepaid (not the end of the world) and really only have a $40 plan that would suit us.

BroKar
12th April 2014, 10:43 PM
Im with boost, $40 unlimited in Telstra, was on aldi previously but they. Kicked me off or excessive use, boost best value, it's pre paid but I just have it set to auto debit

markTHEblake
13th April 2014, 07:40 AM
I'm looking at changing my wife's phone over to Live Connected !Look closely at the plans from Vaya, you might find the one you want is better. If you are not aware Vaya bought LC last year.

Steve57
13th April 2014, 07:42 AM
Ok thanks . I will.

goughy
16th April 2014, 10:47 AM
Yeah mtb, that vaya 18 dollar plan is hard to look past. Just had Optus ring me about my phone and plan. Offered me 20 less on 12mnth, no new phone. Golf him I can get that from iinet for 30, and for 18 through vaya. Didn't really have a response to that. Asked if I minded if he past it on to retention to see what they could do. Told him I'll be buying phones outright in future since they don't of what I'm after.

goughy
12th May 2014, 11:28 PM
A couple of weeks till my contract is up so I guess I better organise something. Think I'll try vaya out, but just month to month, so I can switch off I want. Better get that sorted as they said if I'm porting my number I wanna get the ball rolling a few days before my contract ends.

Shortylook
17th May 2014, 05:30 AM
Don't know if it's still around but I got a $49 cap plan with Telstra $350 calls and SMS and 3G of data. They stuffed up something a while ago and my bills were over 2k for some reason( whole other story) so,they gave me 3 gig instead of 2 so I hotspot my phone to the iPad which is awesome for Internet usage if you know what I mean =P~

goughy
17th May 2014, 09:05 AM
Got my vaya sim to try out. Just have to wait another week till near the end of my current contract to activate and port my number over. $18 with about $650/calls, unlimited sms/mms and 1.5g data. Should hopefully be posting a big thankyou to MTB in about a month.

Coldtopper
17th May 2014, 09:13 AM
We have been on Amaysim for a year. Great stuff unlimted for 40 a month. Im on the 19.90 a month deal now as my sheep cant talk but great service. We live in the middle of nowhere and have no black spots. On the optus network, best deal in OZ!

goughy
16th June 2014, 01:12 PM
Got my vaya sim to try out. Just have to wait another week till near the end of my current contract to activate and port my number over. $18 with about $650/calls, unlimited sms/mms and 1.5g data. Should hopefully be posting a big thankyou to MTB in about a month.

Not a complaint as such, but worth knowing. Obviously I didn't read the whole pdf with terms etc, just a heads up. But their data is charged in 1mb increments, so mine is adding up pretty fast with email checking etc. Not sure that it's enough to make me wanna change from them, but I haven't used my phone much and have chewed up about 1/5 of my data this month already. I'll keep an eye on it, but 1mb every time I get a few emails could start using too much. Can't complain, I didn't read the t&c's properly and it's in there. But it's worth knowing.

coalesce
16th June 2014, 01:56 PM
Not a complaint as such, but worth knowing. Obviously I didn't read the whole pdf with terms etc, just a heads up. But their data is charged in 1mb increments, so mine is adding up pretty fast with email checking etc. Not sure that it's enough to make me wanna change from them, but I haven't used my phone much and have chewed up about 1/5 of my data this month already. I'll keep an eye on it, but 1mb every time I get a few emails could start using too much. Can't complain, I didn't read the t&c's properly and it's in there. But it's worth knowing.

I have a similar plan (but with 2gb data) and have used over 50% in a month only once. I have 4 different email accounts all set to push. I also do twitter/facebook/tapatalk/websites/maps on my phone during the day - tho in the evening I'd use my home wifi

Are you sure you don't have some other app that is using more data than you think?

goughy
16th June 2014, 02:24 PM
Nah, same setup as always. It's just the 1mb billing increment uses more. As an example, iinet (who we were looking at) bill data in 1kb increments. Found some complaints on the vaya forums about the 1mb billing (people who didn't read the t&c's). I've used as much in half a month as I used to in a month, with only one time going over 1mb amount (used 13mb that time). Just heaps and heaps of 1mb amounts. Just something I'll keep an eye on over the next month or so to make sure I don't go over by accident.

coalesce
16th June 2014, 02:43 PM
Nah, same setup as always. It's just the 1mb billing increment uses more. As an example, iinet (who we were looking at) bill data in 1kb increments. Found some complaints on the vaya forums about the 1mb billing (people who didn't read the t&c's). I've used as much in half a month as I used to in a month, with only one time going over 1mb amount (used 13mb that time). Just heaps and heaps of 1mb amounts. Just something I'll keep an eye on over the next month or so to make sure I don't go over by accident.

I meant I have a similar plan - with Vaya. Maybe I should look at my bill in more detail, but as I say, only once have I received an alert I've used over 50%

goughy
16th June 2014, 02:47 PM
Yeh, I got ya. Same as you, I don't think I'm gonna use it up, except when away on a holiday where I might use only data and no wifi. But my data usage is much higher so I'll keep an eye on it. There's gotta be done trade off for such a cheap plan, this is it.

coalesce
16th June 2014, 02:57 PM
Maybe I'm getting lucky with not having a large number of sessions (which seems like such a vague concept - being billed by something you have very little or no control over)

goughy
16th June 2014, 03:06 PM
Well I can control it, but setting up sync windows, rather than have things just push to my phone. I don't have Facebook or Twitter or anything regularly checking unless I initiate it. Mostly it's just my calendar and email syncing updates, but one 3kb email us worth 1mb if nothing else comes down with it. So it can add up over the course of a day.

BrisVegas
16th June 2014, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know anything about boost mobile? I read they are the only ones to get the full Telstra 4g network, but scar as I can see their plans are only prepaid (not the end of the world) and really only have a $40 plan that would suit us.

Yes, it's full Telstra 3G. Not 4G. Having said that, their 3G data kills what I used to get on Optus/Virgin.

Im with boost, $40 unlimited in Telstra, was on aldi previously but they. Kicked me off or excessive use, boost best value, it's pre paid but I just have it set to auto debit

$40 unlimited here too. Been with them since they started with the "golden sims". I'm very happy. Unlimited calls and texts and have never used the data up yet. Best thing is the proper Telstra coverage.

goughy
16th June 2014, 03:39 PM
I see boost also round the data up to the mb/session.

oncewasagolfer
16th June 2014, 04:33 PM
Have been with vaya for a few months on the $18 plan was moved over from the live connected $7.99 plan when they bought them. Haven't gained anything for the extra $10/month and optus coverage is still shit in my area thinking of trying aldi prepaid as they use telstra network.

aussieashley
8th September 2015, 07:00 AM
Any updates from Vaya users? It looks like data is now billed in kb increments.
Thinking of switching from Telstra. The Power Plan 18 looks good for me.

Steve57
8th September 2015, 08:49 AM
My wife is on Vaya and no problems whatsoever.

coalesce
8th September 2015, 09:08 AM
I was on vaya and got fed up with them cutting off my data service completely when my allowance ran out. Rather than bill for the extra, you have to call their woeful customer service. Other than that the service itself was ok

I've since changed to Yatango 6 months ago and had no problems so far

Jazz18
8th September 2015, 09:26 AM
Was looking around a couple of months ago cause I was fed up with Vodafone. Looked at Vaya and thought their plans looked good. Rang their customer service and they were absolutely woeful. I don't think I even got through to speak with a person and I'd been on the phone for 15 minutes trying. Read some reviews on a forum as well and about 95% of reviewers were scathing! Went straight to my local Optus store and got sorted. The guy in the shop was great. Might be a little more expensive but happy to pay a little extra to get good service.

Matt1979
8th September 2015, 09:43 AM
I'm have been using Amaysim for the last 18 months - no issues - can do pretty much everything online. The $20 plan is plenty for me - they have good prices on unlimited too

markTHEblake
9th September 2015, 12:51 PM
I had the whole family on Vaya/Live Connected for years. The service is fine, if Optus coverage suits you. But their customer service is woeful backed up by a billing system with flaws. If you have any issues it's going to do your head in. I would much rather pay someone else more, and not have to bother. I am with Telstra now.

goughy
27th November 2015, 09:00 AM
I feel like a whore but I'm back on Telstra too!!

Finally came to the conclusion that not having great reception at home, in particular in my work shed, just can't cut it any more. Sometime my phone stats show 30% of time with no signal. And I've lost reception during calls. Was annoying last week trying to call a customer (who wasn't home at our appointment time) and no bloody reception where I was. They turned up, just running late, but they said you must be with optus!

Finally they came up with a byo plan that's close enough in cost to what I wanted to pay to go with it. $40/mnth, 1K calls, all sms, and 7g data. Just put us all on it.
Will be strange not having to ask my mate if I can use his phone when staying in one of the black zones for optus coverage. surprisingly been to a few races with him, even down at the goldie, where I've had zero coverage (well maybe not surprising for others)

Peppas
27th November 2015, 09:23 AM
Hmm I am on a $39 cap plan with telstra at the moment... that expires in January next year. I am expecting to get booted off that plan as it is an old family and friends/staff plan. Might be looking for a new plan then...

goughy
25th July 2018, 08:43 AM
What's the go these days? We're currently with Telstra and looking to change since they won't come to the party. Actually thinking of Woolies mobile, otherwise maybe Boost. We've never had pre-paid plans before so don't know if these would be a pain? I gather they don't get the telstra 4gx service but that's no biggie. But do they still get access to the rest of the telstra network? I'm in a bit of a hole and optus doesn't work well for us here.The big differences between the plans I'm looking at are with woolies, you can't go over your data limit, it will just cut you off, which is good for the kids. And we can't share our data between us if like with Telstra.With boost, again we can't share our data but excess unused days does roll over each month. I'm assuming you can set it up to automaticity recharge each month (or 28 days I guess), but what happens if one of the kids blows through all they data early? Does it renew earlier? Being a 28 day cycle it'll mean 13 billing cycles a year instead of 12, so a little faster than woolies.With Telstra, we obviously get full network access, but now they they allow the resellers to use their 4g network (not 4gx) I'm guessing coverage will be fine. We can share our data between us all, which is good I guess, bit bad when a kid didn't look too see if they're phones connected to wifi at home or not. What to do.....

Edited to add: just found Belong Mobile - that might be the winner!

benno_r
25th July 2018, 10:19 AM
I recently changed to Boost from Telstra Prepaid. I didn't notice a big change in speed between 4gx and 4g - I was still getting between 25-30mb/s speedtesting boost at home. Apparently in the cities you can get 100mbs +, not sure about Toowoomba.

For $10 less a month, I get double the data. Seems like a no brainer to me, been very happy so far. The issue about data sharing is less of an issue, if you have mush more if it available I spose.

goughy
25th July 2018, 11:11 AM
I think Belong will be the winner. It's a subsidiary of Telstra, funny enough. But it has a data banking option where it doesn't just roll over the unused of the month before, but it keeps accumulating. A mate just said his wife had 100g stored up, and you can gift data to others on the Belong mobile as well. Soooo when they went away she gave their kids 10g extra each! Soooo it sounds like what I may be after. Could save $15/month on 3 phones, but keep one on a slightly bigger plan for the data and share our around if need be. And there's no excess data charges, they just throttle your speed.