PDA

View Full Version : Black TM R1 driver

Mububban
31st May 2013, 10:00 AM
For those that like the club but hate the white heads:

When an all-black TaylorMade R1 driver first showed up on the USGA's Conforming Driver List at the end of April, TaylorMade officials were quick to squash the rumors surrounding the mystery club.

What was known at the time was that driver was a smaller-headed 400 cc, left-handed R1 prototype that, according to TaylorMade Public Relations Manager Dave Cordero, wasn't coming to retail.

While the 400 cc prototype fell short of making it to retail, TaylorMade announced on Thursday that an all-black 460 cc R1 model would debut next week on the PGA TOUR at the FedEx St. Jude Classic in Memphis, before hitting retail shelves on June 10.

The new model will also mark the first time since 2010 that the company has produced a driver with a black crown.

“For three years we have only made white drivers and have heard from a number of golfers who just prefer the look of black,” said President and CEO, Mark King. “Our commitment has always been to provide golfers with the best performing golf equipment. The R1 Black gives players who prefer that color access to our industry leading technology.”

Like the white R1, the all-black version will have the same adjustability features -- 12 loft-sleeve settings, 7 face-angle position, and two moveable shot-shape weights -- as well as an ultra-light Aldila RIP Phenom shaft.

Captain Nemo
31st May 2013, 10:07 AM
I posted pics somewhere a while ago...

TheNuclearOne
31st May 2013, 10:08 AM
Pics are up everywhere now. I cannot believe that after all the harping on about the non reflective properties of the white they've gone shiny as opposed to matte black.

Captain Nemo
31st May 2013, 10:09 AM
+1
I would have thought the Ping "flat black" look?

TheNuclearOne
31st May 2013, 10:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPYPYjyxONk

live4golf
31st May 2013, 10:24 AM
and as we know, it will be guaranteed that the Black R1 is far superior than the White model in every way possible.

Captain Nemo
31st May 2013, 10:31 AM
and as we know, it will be guaranteed that the Black R1 is far superior than the White model in every way possible.

Absolutely!!!!

Jarro
31st May 2013, 10:31 AM
Pics are up everywhere now. I cannot believe that after all the harping on about the non reflective properties of the white they've gone shiny as opposed to matte black.

The white version looks better anyway IMO.

Mububban
31st May 2013, 10:33 AM

Sorry should have linked the pics as well. Kind of in between

TheNuclearOne
31st May 2013, 10:47 AM
Sorry should have linked the pics as well. Kind of in between

Pretty shiny i think

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7032/2y9g5088.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/2y9g5088.jpg/)

Mububban
31st May 2013, 11:28 AM
Wow, that looks horrible. The official press photo was done in controlled studio lighting and that looks good, but out in the wild.....ugh. I love the stealth bomber look of the Pings, and I love the matt finish on my X Hot.

TheNuclearOne
31st May 2013, 11:50 AM
Wow, that looks horrible. The official press photo was done in controlled studio lighting and that looks good, but out in the wild.....ugh. I love the stealth bomber look of the Pings, and I love the matt finish on my X Hot.

I love the matte finish on my Anser driver. The X Hot Pro fw's are ok but i do wish they were black lol. The grey has it's supporters tho.

TheNuclearOne
31st May 2013, 11:51 AM
The white version looks better anyway IMO.

I agree. I'd still prefer matte black tho. Kudo's to Ping.

PeteyD
31st May 2013, 12:01 PM
White all the way.

Captain Nemo
31st May 2013, 01:45 PM
I love the matte finish on my Anser driver. The X Hot Pro fw's are ok but i do wish they were black lol. The grey has it's supporters tho.

Me too, so much i have 2 heads....:shock:

TheNuclearOne
31st May 2013, 01:52 PM
They are one superb driver.

Captain Nemo
31st May 2013, 01:53 PM
They are one superb driver.
Agree, love the look/setup and feel, just need to sort out the right shaft now....

TheNuclearOne
31st May 2013, 01:57 PM
It was finnicky for me for some unknown reason, went thru 6 or more shafts in 3 weeks until the Di7s ended things. I knew the head was a winner, just had trouble matching it.

Captain Nemo
31st May 2013, 02:12 PM
Fair point.
We are getting off topic here TNO, maybe we should start a Ping Anser Head Thread?
I dont want to upset the powers that be here?
:?

gazgolf1
31st May 2013, 02:13 PM
Really who gives a rats arse.

Captain Nemo
31st May 2013, 02:19 PM
Really who gives a rats arse.

Easy Tiger, bad day at work?

gazgolf1
31st May 2013, 02:26 PM
Easy Tiger, bad day at work?

Howd ya guess, maybe I'm getting too old for this club hoing crap. ;)

Mububban
31st May 2013, 02:37 PM
There will only be 150 in Australia, all through Drummond exclusively. I'd expect them to sell very quickly.

Captain Nemo
31st May 2013, 02:43 PM
Howd ya guess, maybe I'm getting too old for this club hoing crap. ;)

Me too Gaz, all good started a new thread to bang on re Ping Heads!
:)

tyrob
31st May 2013, 02:58 PM
Another Tm release.. Give it a few weeks and this will superseded by by something else with more dials and gizmos on it .. This one will be $700 cause its limited edition until the next one comes out in a few weeks

BUSHY
31st May 2013, 08:05 PM
What gets me is they came out with the quote...

“The [TaylorMade] brand has always spoken to the zero-to-four handicap,” Kroll said. “Some of those guys screamed loud and clear that they wanted a black driver, so we decided to give it to them.”

I don't agree...

Firstly TM have only started pushing this "we scream to the low marker" when they took control of Adams Golf (a supposedly high marker/retiree brand).
Secondly I think sales were hurting because the R1 was a bit of a flop compared to R11 and they were looking for some other gimmick. Only problem is this gimmick contradicts their other gimmick...

goonie
31st May 2013, 09:10 PM
At last, I hope this is the start of the end of the white head drivers.

golf2013
31st May 2013, 09:34 PM
I don't like the white myself but the gloss black is even worse.

Dotty
31st May 2013, 09:42 PM
More importantly, I'd like to see the end of the black faced drivers, fairways and hybrids.

I prefer my clubs to have a more traditional look, like brushed titanium.

ps. I was going to say 'woods', but I'd end up like Stevie and Eddie.

TheNuclearOne
31st May 2013, 11:12 PM
This one will be $700 cause its limited edition until the next one comes out in a few weeks

You're only $301 off.

tyrob
1st June 2013, 04:31 AM
Yeah but when the next one comes out in two weeks it will b worth nothing... All I'm trying to say is Tm release stuff so quick that when u buy the new model it is superseded so quick when they release another new driver.. Seems they have new stuff coming out every two months or so..

Jarro
1st June 2013, 06:58 AM
Haters gonna hate

TheNuclearOne
1st June 2013, 09:34 AM
Yeah but when the next one comes out in two weeks it will b worth nothing... All I'm trying to say is Tm release stuff so quick that when u buy the new model it is superseded so quick when they release another new driver.. Seems they have new stuff coming out every two months or so..

That's a great thing!!!! Ho's get to use quite new models at super prices. If you're silly enough to buy one at new release prices without properly trialing it then it's hardly on TM. It's not like they are bad drivers. Some love this one and that one, some don't like this one and that one but there's plenty of people fitting into the different models and getting great performance.

If one perks my interest i just wait the short time for it to drop substancially and give it a go. Win, win. If one intrigues me less i still sometimes try it, but after they've gone to super low prices.

The only guys at a real disadvantage are those that have to have the latest and greatest (and stick to one brand) showing in their bag for cred appeal. Admittedly that's some, but sure not me. If anyone falls for the marketing, well i have no sympathy LOL. Surely we all know by now not to be swayed by TM's publicity machine. I just read all the write ups and reviews and decide if it might be one to consider once cheaper.

meh
1st June 2013, 10:18 AM
Slightly OT but is anyone playing the R1? Thoughts?

TheNuclearOne
1st June 2013, 10:28 AM
Right on topic, no good buying the black if the Whites no good hahaha. I'll be trying one hopefully by next weekend, certainly the next week at the latest. Jadho's had a fair time with the model i think.

GSP
1st June 2013, 12:00 PM
but theyll sell and thats what counts

JADO75
1st June 2013, 01:32 PM
Loving the R1! Was using it with an Oban Devotion at first with great results but last three games I've used an AD BB shaft & haven't felt this confident on the tee for a long time. Playing it at 8* with dial on closed 2 which has it sitting a touch open at address & 10g in the heel, 1g in the toe. End result for me is long baby cuts with a strong mid flight & some nice roll out, couldn't be happier (until I get Nudgee's v2 & do my own head in again). When I first got the R11 I didn't get along with it, couldn't stand the sound it made or how harsh it felt off the face compared to the 910 I was using. Later I got an R11s, didn't have high expectations to be honest but for me it felt, played & sounded much better than the R11. Face still felt hard but I could feel a lot more feedback. I was still bothered by the white head, especially on the takeaway but when I started smashing it, the white made no difference at all. Same with the R1 graphics, yes they are very busy but I don't notice them at all. I've played with the loft settings & weights & the ball flight does change for me. Face feels very hard but feedback is good, sound is on the loud side when you hit it indoors but on course it is just fine & it makes a real nice sound when you nut one. Stock Phenom 55g shaft it comes with isn't the best but it will definitely make do until you go aftermarket. At first I thought the R1 was an R11s with graphics but after playing it more its 100% a better club. Miss hits still go a long way & the one head thing is winner in my opinion. When the fairways have been firm I play it my normal 8* & when its been wet I play it at 10* to maximise carry, may sound wanky to some but it works for me. It's also a pretty low spin head, not as low as the Xtreme but still pretty low.
I played a Cally Xtreme prior to this & while at first rated it enormously, the honeymoon period was soon over. I felt like I had to put my best swing on it to get a great result, with the R1 I can put a good swing on it & get a great result. Great swings are rewarded with sensational drives. A few mates still play the Xtreme with great results.
I know not everyone agrees with what TM does in regards to products & marketing but don't be afraid to give the R1 a go, it's a beauty. I've been known to chop & change drivers pretty quickly but I'd like to think the R1 is going to stay with me for awhile.

Goldy
1st June 2013, 03:32 PM
I picked up an R1 from a mate who didn't want it a few weeks ago. Normally I'm 3W off the tee, not a great exponent of the driver....but I'm liking the R1. Carries as far as I can get the 3W out there, and is pretty forgiving on off centre hits. Got it set at 12deg, neutral, heel weighted. Haven't taken 3W off the tee since it went in the bag.

Mububban
1st June 2013, 07:37 PM
Slightly OT but is anyone playing the R1? Thoughts?

They consistently get rave reviews. I understand people don't like the marketing guff they release but based on performance, they obviously make some excellent clubs.

PeteyD
1st June 2013, 11:03 PM
low spin low launch apparently. You need some swing speed.

TheNuclearOne
1st June 2013, 11:17 PM
You can dial the loft up a bit tho.

Jerrymoo
2nd June 2013, 08:46 AM
Should have gone matte black, IMO.

The R1 is okay, but I prefer the RBZ 2.

aym
2nd June 2013, 04:00 PM
Matt black on driver is like matt black on a lambo or a Ferrari, yes it looks cool, but you wouldn't get it if it was your own... had a hit of the i20 in the states this Wednesday... just looked really wired... kinda cheap..

TheNuclearOne
2nd June 2013, 04:12 PM
I LOVE the matte black. I'd be happy to have all my woods and hybrids that color. To each his own tho of course.

Captain Nemo
2nd June 2013, 04:14 PM
Matt Black is the new White!

wizard_of_oz
4th June 2013, 09:28 AM
Drummond taking pre orders for mid June release at $479 http://www.drummondgolf.com.au/taylormade-r1-black-driver-1.html

Mububban
5th June 2013, 11:02 AM
Official TM shot as it makes it PGA Tour debut. That sucker is GLOSSY!

Captain Nemo
6th June 2013, 11:56 AM
One of the most consistent players has switched...
(I believe he was using a Superfast or the like)?
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/855366-snedeker-using-taylormade-black-r1-in-fedex-st-jude-pro-am-photos-inside/

wizard_of_oz
6th June 2013, 12:23 PM
One of the most consistent players has switched...
(I believe he was using a Superfast or the like)?
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/855366-snedeker-using-taylormade-black-r1-in-fedex-st-jude-pro-am-photos-inside/
Burner 1.0 Driver yeah. This will be extremely interesting. Brandt is not a long hitter with his Burner but very accurate, he's 140th with 279 yards average but 10th in accuracy at 69 percent so ill be following his stats in this tournament with interest.

TheNuclearOne
6th June 2013, 01:07 PM
Be interesting if it stays in the bag too.

wizard_of_oz
10th June 2013, 12:54 AM
Doesn't look like Snedeker did too well with it..round 1, 57 % fairways hit and round 2, 43% hit. Not bad on distance, 285 yards first round and 302 yards second round.

Lemo
10th June 2013, 07:44 AM
Mrs just woke me up on my bday this morning to inform me I have one of these waiting at Drummond!! Can't wait to pick it up!!

benno_r
10th June 2013, 07:55 AM
Top Mrs you have their Lemo.. Mine only got me a sand wedge. :(

Mububban
10th June 2013, 10:04 AM
Doesn't look like Snedeker did too well with it..round 1, 57 % fairways hit and round 2, 43% hit. Not bad on distance, 285 yards first round and 302 yards second round.

What were his distances like with the older Burner? Much difference?

wizard_of_oz
10th June 2013, 12:13 PM
What were his distances like with the older Burner? Much difference?

His stats from this season: he's 140th on tour with 279 yards average but 10th in accuracy at 69 percent. Hard to judge based on that one outing obviously because his stats may even out after a few rounds with the new driver and getting used to it.

Captain Nemo
26th June 2013, 08:50 AM
Well they must be out in the US, a guy on TCC is selling the stock and TP versions...

wizard_of_oz
26th June 2013, 12:38 PM
It's available in Drummond Golf here too, but at $479. You can get one from Global Golf and it still works out cheaper even with postage.

Shane788
28th June 2013, 05:50 PM
$300 posted to Australia on eBay and plenty of them, pretty good price

goonie
29th June 2013, 09:43 PM
Checked one out today, it would be the first TM driver I would consider since they switched to the white heads.

JADO75
29th June 2013, 10:14 PM
Been umming & aahing for a few weeks whether to buy one or not. Anyone want to grab one from the States & split postage?

Shane788
30th June 2013, 08:18 AM
Cheapest one i found jado was $258 without postage cheap as if you split shipping

BayBum
30th June 2013, 12:27 PM
I have been on the fence too but WTF is up with ebay shipping rates as of late ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-TaylorMade-Golf-Mens-BLACK-R1-Driver-Stiff-Flex-Right-Handed-Brand-New-/290938663864?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item43bd4bb3b8

$240 for the club itself is a great price but $100 shipping ? :roll:

So many power sellers have these ridiculous rates yet proclubs,globalgolf etc still have the same old 40 odd bucks.

Hatchman
30th June 2013, 03:00 PM
I think it's a tactic to catch buyers out who don't read the add thoroughly and get dazzled by the low price.

Ducky
30th June 2013, 03:38 PM
Personally, I can't wait for TaylorMade to innovate even further by offering the R1 Black painted in white! It'll be a game changer... again! :roll:

3oneday
3rd July 2013, 05:28 PM
Mate i played with on Satdy had one. Having not heard an R1 at all, sounded great.

He was happy with how straight it was, but felt it was short. If you see a black r1 on ebay soon with Fubuki 60 it'll be his. I give it two more rounds. He plays off scratch or plus 1.

JADO75
3rd July 2013, 06:01 PM
Any chance he may sell just the head?

3oneday
3rd July 2013, 07:51 PM
Doubt it.

live4golf
3rd July 2013, 07:53 PM
Any chance he may sell just the head?

Hahaha :)

mrbluu
3rd July 2013, 10:44 PM
I have been on the fence too but WTF is up with ebay shipping rates as of late ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-TaylorMade-Golf-Mens-BLACK-R1-Driver-Stiff-Flex-Right-Handed-Brand-New-/290938663864?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item43bd4bb3b8

$240 for the club itself is a great price but $100 shipping ? :roll:

So many power sellers have these ridiculous rates yet proclubs,globalgolf etc still have the same old 40 odd bucks.

I think it has to do with fees...I don't think Ebay includes the shipping when calculating the fees.

Ducky
14th July 2013, 01:15 PM
I think it has to do with fees...I don't think Ebay includes the shipping when calculating the fees.
Spot on. I got reamed by Ebay several times when I included free shipping on an item (which Ebay encourage sellers to do so they can charge them a higher final value fee).