PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV

PerryGroves
30th May 2013, 11:48 AM
Any thoughts, positive or negative.

I am not a downloader of programs from the interweb and don't actually own a DVD player (I never watch movies).

My watching consists of sport and TV series (West Wing, The Wire, that sort of thing). I see you guys spruiking a series and think I should get involved, does Apple TV solve the problem cost effectively?

goughy
30th May 2013, 12:15 PM
I don't know much at all about it, apart from being told that it's formats supported are the usual Apple ones. So for someone like me it would mean having to convert stuff. Others will actually know properly

live4golf
30th May 2013, 12:19 PM
It's not really a replacement for Foxtel or FTA tv or anything like that...especially in Australia. It is really good for wirelessly replicating what is on your mobile device or Mac on a larger screen. The content is fairly limited.

markTHEblake
30th May 2013, 12:35 PM
If you just want to buy the TV shows off iTunes and watch them it is perfect if you have a very good Internet speed and limits. If you want to download torrents and play them you will have to first convert to itunes formats. You might be better off getting something else that will play avi, mkv etc straight out of the box.

Ashes
30th May 2013, 12:39 PM
Might be worth checking out IDG's Roku thread as an alternative.

rubin
30th May 2013, 12:40 PM
i've got a lot of itunes bits and pieces and its good for those.

I use mine for music as well, playing it through the TV and/or Surround system. Had a heap of people over recently, and we set the TV up to run as a moving photo album as well (via the Apple TV)

idgolfguy
30th May 2013, 12:42 PM
The AppleTV 3 isn't jailbroken as yet. Otherwise look for Raspberry PI, Roku Pivos -XIOS.

AlexMc
30th May 2013, 02:07 PM
The other thing you can do is mirror your computer screen through Apple TV - I've been watching Netflix on my TV which is on Chrome on my Mac, then mirrored through Apple TV. Works great.

PerryGroves
30th May 2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks boys, I am a massive dumbass on this stuff. Alex, what you have outlined is where I want to be. IDG, will check out your thread (convieniently bumped for my viewing :))

markTHEblake
30th May 2013, 05:23 PM
Best thing about Apple TV is when your kid has her 18th birthday party, and she is running some clips on the ATV, you can just sneak some extra embarrasing photos onto the screen at random with the iphone and the reation is a riot.