PDA

View Full Version : Grafalloy 'New' Blue

Outcast
30th May 2013, 11:06 AM
I've read a few reviews on this shaft & they seem pretty good as well as very well priced.

However, I've also read that these shafts play a little stiffer than stated flex (in comparison to others - & yes I know there is no specific standard). In a review on Youtube, the TT rep actually stated that the 'New' Blue X flex is a 'pole'.

I have played a number of different shafts & discovered through trial and error that a shaft on the strong S - to softish X flex seems to suit me best.

Here is what I have tried & my thoughts:

Aldila RIP (MFTM) S Flex in R9 Super Deep - generally liked this shaft
Miyazaki Dromos 61x in SD & Adams 9064LS - loved this shaft but, can't afford to replace with same
Accra XT70 M5 - currently in Adams 9064LS 8.5* - I like it but, not in the 8.5* head
Accra CT70 M5 in Titleist 907 & Nickent 4DX Tour - liked this shaft but, it didn't work when I put it in the R9
Alidila NVS 65 S Flex in Callaway FT-3 8.5* - loved this combination & still wonder why the hell I got rid of it

I am considering pulling the XT70 out of the 8.5* head & trying in the 9.5* head but, I do like new things :-)

I know Kristian has one of these shafts in X; has anyone else put one in play?

What are your thoughts...?

What are your impressions of flex (pole?, board?, other?)

I think I want to try one but, am really not sure whether to try the S or the X...

Would anyone care to give me their two cents worth as I don't really have the opportunity to try before I buy..

TheNuclearOne
30th May 2013, 11:37 AM
Get the stiff mate, you can always tip it. Play it 1/2" over your preferred length and if soft chop that 1/2". If not take it from the butt. A few of those x shafts you name are noticably softer in the tip than this will be so x would be a big gamble.

I haven't read a bad thing about these, and the price is hot.

Accra CT70 M5 - typo? I've never heard of the CT. T70, XT70, XC70, SE70 are some.

Outcast
30th May 2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks TNO,

This is what I had been thinking but, was looking for some validation from others.

Yes, a typo, should have been XC.

Agree, many of the shafts listed are soft X.

Cheers

TheNuclearOne
30th May 2013, 12:26 PM
What's it going into?

Outcast
30th May 2013, 03:58 PM
Adams 9064LS 9.5* most likely

TheNuclearOne
30th May 2013, 04:14 PM
Pretty certain they were 1.75" BBGM. To play to the old standard measure of flex you'd tip 1/4". 43.25" should play to 45" in my memories right. Not an overly high spin head, i'd avoid X flex.

Looking back if you had the stock TP in the SD it was the real deal under that paint too.

The New Blue might be the best value lower spinning shaft in golf right now, and it looks great imo. Awesome value. I look forward to hearing your review on it.

Outcast
30th May 2013, 06:52 PM
Cheers mate, still mulling it over but, if I do so, I'll post my thoughts on here once I've played it for a bit...

Also considering a set of Project X PXI irons shafts... don't ask... tis best you don't :mrgreen:

TheNuclearOne
30th May 2013, 08:46 PM
They the super expensive ones? :D

KristianJ
30th May 2013, 08:53 PM
I actually got some figures from my visit to a Nike Covert distance challenge for my New Blued R11...

The way it worked was 3 swings with my driver then 3 swings with the Covert.

Best hit I had with my R11 (9* standard upright setting) was around 108mph, 160mph ball speed, 14-15* launch and about 3500rpm spin.

Not totally sure how ideal the figures are, but at least it's some sort of guide...

Outcast
30th May 2013, 09:12 PM
Cheers Kristian,

How do you find the New blue in x flex from a 'boardiness' perspective?

I haven't had my swing speed checked in probably 3 months but, the last time I did, it had dropped from 115mph to around 110mph (must be an age thing) but, I've generally had best results with an X that is on the soft side of the spectrum.

I'm thinking TNO's advice of going Stiff & then tipping it if necessary would be the go for me...

Outcast
30th May 2013, 09:14 PM
They the super expensive ones? :D

Depends what you consider expensive I suppose. Not sure what retail is here in Australia but, located a few sets on eBay for about $370 US landed (8 shafts). Granted this is not exactly cheap but, I didn't think it was super expensive either.

TheNuclearOne
30th May 2013, 10:22 PM
Depends what you consider expensive I suppose. Not sure what retail is here in Australia but, located a few sets on eBay for about $370 US landed (8 shafts). Granted this is not exactly cheap but, I didn't think it was super expensive either.

Mate, if it's a good/cheap/happy price for you it's a good price. Some spend $1000 on a putter, some spend your amount on a putter cover, some of us hundreds on a driver shaft, others a grand on JDM iron heads. It's all good if you want it.

TheNuclearOne
30th May 2013, 10:26 PM
Cheers Kristian,

How do you find the New blue in x flex from a 'boardiness' perspective?

I haven't had my swing speed checked in probably 3 months but, the last time I did, it had dropped from 115mph to around 110mph (must be an age thing) but, I've generally had best results with an X that is on the soft side of the spectrum.

I'm thinking TNO's advice of going Stiff & then tipping it if necessary would be the go for me...

If you're swinging a "genuine" 110 (a lot would depend on the quality of measuring device) unless your swing is quite long and very smooth i'd tip 1/4" then leave that extra 1/2". That SS is sure getting up there depending on how you load. I'd be shocked if you couldn't handle a little tipping off the bat.

Outcast
30th May 2013, 11:31 PM
If you're swinging a "genuine" 110 (a lot would depend on the quality of measuring device) unless your swing is quite long and very smooth i'd tip 1/4" then leave that extra 1/2". That SS is sure getting up there depending on how you load. I'd be shocked if you couldn't handle a little tipping off the bat.

Can't really comment on how genuine the SS is; can only rely on the setup our pro had on the range (can't even remember the name of it but, has the radar down range as well as capturing impact data). Long and smooth, hmmmmm I don't think my swing is that long as such, hands stop at about 10:30 - 11 o'clock position & shaft is not parallel with the deck at top of backswing; smooth.... well, some of the time it is but, some of the time, my transition is a little quick which tends to result in what I refer to as 'grunting it' from the top. This is why I tend to x flex in my clubs... they allow me to hit the ball well with my normal swing & get away with those swings that are grunted from the top. If I do this with softer shafts (softer s flex) & the ball can end up anywhere. Some of the videos I've seen of the shaft at impact on some of my swings with softer shafts have been a little scary... Hence, the tending toward strong S or softish X...

I'm certainly picking up what your putting down in terms of tipping an S Blue; easier to make it stiffer if it ain't quite right & from what I'm reading, x in this shaft might just be a little too much.

TheNuclearOne
31st May 2013, 12:08 AM
I think you're on the right track mate. Rockbottom's got good prices on the 65 and you might be able to do a group buy for Cairns to lessen cost. Todd has both weights and is always super to deal with as well as having some great grip deals. You might have a better supplier than both too.