PDA

View Full Version : 5 Tour clubs on a desert island

Webster
6th December 2005, 07:43 PM
Ok, hypothetical time.

Lets say you are on a plane with the top 20 PGA players in the world en route to the Ozgolf classic in Hawaii that crashes into a desert island. The island has a nine hole course on it. Abandoned of course, but still playable (although a little short at 3100 metres). You are the only survivor .

You can make one trip to the now submerged plane but can only bring 5 clubs back with you, and they have to last you for the next ten years. You have plenty of golf balls. There is no ho'ing of clubs allowed with the figutive stranded on the next island. There is no access to ebay.

What 5 clubs would you choose and why? (remember no one will know how much your handicap is going to blow out so feel free to choose the coolest looking Tour gear which may be no good for your game :D and it has to last you the next 10 years)

Jarro
6th December 2005, 08:03 PM
1/ TM R510 TP 9.5* driver w/ Diamana 83S shaft.

best driver i've hit so far. enough said.

2/ TM 19* resue mid TP.

very versatile .. can be used for tee shots on short par 4's.

3/ Srixon I - 201 6 iron.

my favourite club in my bag.

4/ Vokey Nomad 58* wedge.

an allround great club. good to chip with and fantastic outta the sand.

5/ Scotty Cameron Phantom Mallet putter

well, you have to have a putter :roll:

Matt 3 Jab
6th December 2005, 08:43 PM
First i would get a V-steel tour spoon 13 degree, any shaft really, stiff...
Second club would be a oversize 5 iron with a stiff steel shaft....
Third club my hogan blade 9 iron, stiff steel shaft........
Fourth club a 56 degree sand wedge, 10 x's chrome plated for extra duribility but black chrome so no shine under the island sun.........
Scotty Cameron Putter to finish off with, newport in a triple black finish....

goughy
6th December 2005, 09:06 PM
Matt, I was half way through typing my message when I had to put jaz to bed. Came back and the computer was gone to clikchic so I've had to move on to jaz's. But my half finished message was so similar to yours.

Callaway (preferably deep face model) or ping tisi tec 3 wood in 14* but 15* would suffice.
5 and 9 ping I3+ or blade irons.
56* ping tour sw.
Anser style putter - either ping mag bronze putter or scotty pro-platinum with shortish shaft or belly shaft.

My reasoning -
Every club is about versitility. Deeper faced 3wood is for off the tee or fairway, callaway are renouned for this and the ping tisi tec is spose to be a great wood.
5 iron covers about 170mtrs, but also allows for low punch shots from trees etc. It also gives me a low enough loft to help put side spin on the ball for hooks and slices.
9 iron gives me a shorter approach club, a general purpose chiping club and something for those longer bunker shots.
56* for bunkers and opening up for flops etc. Enough loft to be versatile.
Mag bronze ping's are spose to tarnish, so it won't look out of place in 10 years. The Pro-platinum finish on scotty's is spose to be one of his most durable finishes. anser cause I like the head shape.

The other reason I chose the clubs I did is cause in 10 years they all should be kicking along without too much trouble. In fact they'd probably still be going strong 30 years later, incase my rescue takes a little long.

terryand
6th December 2005, 09:07 PM
I would get 5 G2's,build a raft out of em and sail my but off that island :P

Terry.

Andrew
6th December 2005, 09:08 PM
I would see if there was a soccer ball on the plane. Apparently, it's important to have one when stranded on a desert island.

Jarro
6th December 2005, 09:10 PM
I would get 5 G2's,build a raft out of em and sail my but off that island :P

Terry.

=D>

3oneday
6th December 2005, 09:24 PM
1) Tigers wife
2) Tigers wife
3) Davis Love III's Wife
4) Tigers wife
5) Stuart Appleby's wife
:wink:

goughy
6th December 2005, 09:33 PM
I thought david tom's wife was the one.........

Flowergirl
6th December 2005, 09:51 PM
A really long driver to knock the coconuts out of the trees.........

Fishman Dan
6th December 2005, 10:33 PM
3w. V-Steel or something. Steel shaft.

Rescue club around 19*

5/9 irons (after all, the 9 would bend to 50* after regular use :roll:)

Some sort of Belly putter. No one can ban them if you're never found using it.

Courty
6th December 2005, 11:44 PM
1) Tigers wife
2) Tigers wife
3) Davis Love III's Wife
4) Tigers wife
5) Stuart Appleby's wife
:wink:

How about Tiger's wife, and Tiger's wife's sister... (they're identical twins :smt007 :smt008 :wink:)

markTHEblake
7th December 2005, 01:28 AM
5 drivers - what the hell would i need to chip and putt for?

BrisVegas
7th December 2005, 08:29 AM
Are there reachable par 5's on this 9 hole track? How long are the par 3's? Are the prevailing winds a factor? How tight are the fairways? Any pot bunkers? :roll:

Titleist 905R 9.5 Grafalloy Tiger Woods Proto (>220m)
Titleist 585h 19 DG S300 (190m)
Titleist 695MB 6 iron DG S300 (160m)
Titleist 695MB 9 iron DG S300 (130m)
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56.10 (<100m)

I'd putt with the hybrid. :wink:

drunken
7th December 2005, 09:00 AM
Hmmm...

#1 A 3 wood of some sort. I'd say a VSteel so I can hit it off the tee and the deck. 15* & with a steel shaft, TX-90

#2 4 iron

#3 6 iron

#4 8 iron

#5 56* wedge of some sort

I'd putt with the wedge, just use the leading edge to hit the middle of the ball.

Fishman Dan
7th December 2005, 09:29 PM
If you had a Tour Scotty you could sell it. Even on a deserted island surely there's someone willing to pay silly money for a Scotty?

Jarro
8th December 2005, 08:21 AM
Fishy, i wouldv'e thought if you were stranded on a deserted island you'd want a WHALE in your bag :roll:

BrisVegas
8th December 2005, 08:24 AM
Jack - I need more info on this 9 hole desert island course. Have you got a routing diagram with carry distances, hazards, cross bunkers, green complexes and perhaps 1m contour intervals?? I wanna be sure I got the right clubs for this course. 8)

Fishman Dan
8th December 2005, 09:26 PM
Are the bunkers raked on this 9-hole gem?

markTHEblake
10th December 2005, 04:07 PM
dammit, would you beleive the tour driver i chose had this serial number on the hosel 4815162342 :shock: