PDA

View Full Version : Q School - :(

3oneday
6th December 2005, 10:11 AM
http://www.pgatour.com/scoring/leaderboard/r

Unfortunately no Aussies progressed, with Andrew Buckle, Scott Hend :shock: and Brendan Jones missing by 2 shots.

Hend shot 6 over in round 6 after being in 6th position and looking assured of qualifying :cry: .

Jones shot 3 over and crashed from 16th at the start of the day. Off to the Nationwide I suppose now for these guys. Still a good buck to be made there as well I guess. :cry:

Pete

Jarro
6th December 2005, 10:21 AM
can't believe Scott Hend crashed and burned so badly :(

suppose it is a pretty high-stress event with everything to play for :shock:

Jarro
6th December 2005, 02:49 PM
Hend blows Tour ticket
From Andrew Both in Cary, North Carolina
December 6, 2005

SCOTT Hend was feeling "pretty empty" after a nightmare final round meltdown cost him a US PGA Tour card at the qualifying tournament in Florida today.

"It's just one of those things you see happen but hope it never happens to yourself," said the Queenslander after shooting a six-over-par 78 in windy conditions on the Panther Lake course in Orlando.

On a day when none of the nine Australians finished among the 32 players who secured exempt status for 2006, the long-hitting Hend seemed the most likely to get the job done.

He started the sixth and final round tied for sixth but plunged to finish equal 42nd, two shots shy of the magic number he needed.

He made a terrible start with a bogey at the first hole, followed by a double bogey at the par-five 2nd, where he took a penalty stroke after driving into an unplayable lie, only to hit his next into a hazard.

An eagle at the par-five seventh and a birdie at the ninth steadied the ship, at least temporarily, but the back nine was a disaster as he dropped six shots in a shocking six-hole stretch.

"I didn't panic at all," Hend said. "I thought I had it under control but on the back nine it all went to pieces.

"It was unbelievable, just one of those days that whatever I did wasn't the right thing and, unfortunately, it happened to be the last of six rounds.

"I'd done all the good work and threw it out the window. I feel pretty empty at the moment."

It was a far cry from the heroics of last year, when he sank a two-metre putt at the final hole of the qualifying tournament to secure his card for 2005.
Fellow Australians Brendan Jones (75) and Andrew Buckle (71) also tied for 42nd in nine-under-par 423, with Brad Hughes (69) one shot further back.

Along with Hend, they are fully exempt for the secondary tour next year, although Jones still has some exempt status on the main tour after finishing 144th on the money list this year. He also is fully exempt on the Japan Tour, where he won twice last year, so he has some options to consider.

American John Holmes became the first player since Willie Wood 22 years ago to leave university and win the tour qualifying tournament, closing with a 3-under 69 for a 24-under 408 total to win by three shots over Alex Cejka of Germany.

He was also the first player since Ben Crane in 2001 to post all six rounds in the 60s.

The others Australians to miss out today were Nick Flanagan and Gavin Coles (429), Steve Collins (431), Steve Allan (432) and Euan Walters (454).

Nineteen Australians will be fully exempt on the main tour next year, down two from this year's record number.

Five Australians earned promotion by finishing in the top 20 on the secondary tour, while the other 14 did enough on the main tour to remain exempt for at least one more year.

Fully exempt for 2006
Robert Allenby, Stuart Appleby, Aaron Baddeley, Steven Bowditch, Greg Chalmers, Steve Elkington, Mathew Goggin, Nathan Green, Mark Hensby, Stephen Leaney, Peter Lonard, David McKenzie, Greg Norman, Geoff Ogilvy, Rod Pampling, Craig Parry, Adam Scott, John Senden, Andre Stolz.

Bruce
6th December 2005, 03:17 PM
The Shark is fully exempt?

How did he get that?

Trung
6th December 2005, 03:58 PM
The Shark is fully exempt?

How did he get that?

pretty got something to do with life membership

goughy
6th December 2005, 08:29 PM
I think he also has something left from a players champ win when it was a 10 year exemption. I think he's exempt to 2006 or 7 for that.

I also think that 20 pga tour winds qualifies you for lifetime membership. Norman had 19 wins untill another tournament he'd won was added to the pga roster, thus giving him 20 wins.

I remember hearing something like that a few years ago now.