PDA

View Full Version : Rubins New Swing.

rubin
20th May 2013, 01:17 PM
I'll post video's over the coming weeks, but from my previous thread (wherever that is) to now, my swing has changed dramatically.

Have started using Golfshot again (lite only) with the view to helping me identify the weakest area's of my game and working on those things one at a time.

Current Stats (after One week of use):
Driving Accuracy: 50% Fairways hit. Lose 15% left, and 35% right.
I think losing them right is not so much me hitting ugly slices/big ghey fades anymore, but more me aiming to far right and not drawing it back, or simply blocking it right.

GIR: 33%.
A pretty shocking stat really. means i hit 5 - 6 greens in reg a round. Again, I think its a similar problem to the above, but to a smaller target. I think i also need to look at playing to the centre of the green rather than going for the flags.

Scrambling: 50%
This one doesnt really tell much yet. I was in the bunker twice over the weekend, made par for one, left too much work on the other.

Putting
One round on sanded greens so far. I'll look at this after a few weeks. I can say for absolute certainty though, Putting is no longer a bad part of my game.

Scoring:
Par 3's:
Par 4's:
Par 5's:
again, I will post up these after a few rounds.

Once I get a few more rounds into it, i think it will give me a better indication of whats going on where etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uon4N_jsswQ&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkmsSr_aVM8&feature=youtu.be

Yossarian
20th May 2013, 01:26 PM
6 GIR really isn't that bad for a 17 marker. Be better at chipping and you'll be as good as me in no time.

Captain Nemo
20th May 2013, 01:30 PM
mmmmm, my balls might be safe (No Homo...):lol:

Daves
20th May 2013, 03:13 PM
Stop trying to hit a draw. Aim up the middle and set up with face the slightest bit open. You should hit it straight or a baby fade. Both will find the fairway and stay up. That should then take care of your GIR stats as well. Practice your short game and putting. Simply really.

FoxGolf
20th May 2013, 03:18 PM
What if hitting a draw is his natural shot though? I've f@@ked my swing up heaps trying to hit a nice fade when my natural shot is a draw. I'm going back to what comes naturally and only hitting a fade whe it's an absolute must.

Daves
20th May 2013, 03:20 PM
What if hitting a draw is his natural shot though? I've f@@ked my swing up heaps trying to hit a nice fade when my natural shot is a draw. I'm going back to what comes naturally and only hitting a fade whe it's an absolute must.

I assumed from his comments and stats it ain't his natural shot, otherwise he wouldn't be missing so many fairways.

rubin
20th May 2013, 03:24 PM
Stop trying to hit a draw. Aim up the middle and set up with face the slightest bit open. You should hit it straight or a baby fade. Both will find the fairway and stay up. That should then take care of your GIR stats as well. Practice your short game and putting. Simply really.

I wont be doing that. For a long time my shot was fade turning to slice. I've worked on hitting a tight little draw thats coming together now. I can still hit a fade, but im always nervous as hell doing so.

I assumed from his comments and stats it ain't his natural shot, otherwise he wouldn't be missing so many fairways.

it never used to be, but kind of is now. and I didn't think a 50% stat was all that bad. 7 from 14 fairways for a 17 capper is a pretty good effort i thought.

If, of the 50% i'm missing, 60 or 70% were going left, i would agree.

Yossarian
20th May 2013, 03:25 PM
:smt023

simmsy
20th May 2013, 07:42 PM
33% on your cap is good for gir. i'm at about that now and thats up from about 25% when i was on 18.

hocko
20th May 2013, 07:52 PM
I wont be doing that. For a long time my shot was fade turning to slice. I've worked on hitting a tight little draw thats coming together now. I can still hit a fade, but im always nervous as hell doing so.

it never used to be, but kind of is now. and I didn't think a 50% stat was all that bad. 7 from 14 fairways for a 17 capper is a pretty good effort i thought.

If, of the 50% i'm missing, 60 or 70% were going left, i would agree.

Then how the hell do you lose so many shots if GIR is 33% and fairways hit is 50%?
I don't hit 50% of fairways but still manage to score.

Johnny Canuck
20th May 2013, 08:13 PM
Then how the hell do you lose so many shots if GIR is 33% and fairways hit is 50%?I don't hit 50% of fairways but still manage to score. Must be your putting.

Webster
20th May 2013, 08:15 PM
Where are the videos?

peter_rs
20th May 2013, 08:20 PM
For what it's worth, I'm on 12 by golf shot
63% fwy target 41%
28% gir target 31%
16% short game to 14%
1.8 putts target 1.9

Where did the target % come from

So your stats are fine I would look at putts and proximity to the hole.

Shadesy
20th May 2013, 08:36 PM
Score less than 16 over per round.

bergsey
20th May 2013, 09:26 PM
Useful stats guide

virge666
20th May 2013, 09:41 PM
Pretty obvious that your GIR sucks. The rest of your stats aren't that bad.

Work on your 6 iron and up to sort it out.

Ashes
20th May 2013, 09:45 PM
Comparing that to most of my stats, I should be shooting much better than I do:

55% FWY
27% GIR
1.91 putts (2.19 on GIR)

I'm assuming 7.7% on scrambling is a little embarrassing?

Ashes
20th May 2013, 09:46 PM
What is that iron accuracy stat?

rubin
20th May 2013, 09:46 PM
Then how the hell do you lose so many shots if GIR is 33% and fairways hit is 50%?
I don't hit 50% of fairways but still manage to score.

Must be your putting.

as i said in the OP, that is only over 1 round. im sure this will change over the weeks as I add more rounds in.

Where are the videos?

Again, as per the OP, will be uploaded over the next few weeks.

Pretty obvious that your GIR sucks. The rest of your stats aren't that bad.

Work on your 6 iron and up to sort it out.

have been, but its actually 6 iron and down. its not that often im hitting longer than a 7i into a green. Most recently, i've been aiming for 100 - 120 out.

rubin
20th May 2013, 09:47 PM
Useful stats guide

cheers bergs.

How does the relationship column work? is that in relation to how it affects your cap/scoring etc.?

Pieface
20th May 2013, 09:50 PM

Webster
20th May 2013, 09:52 PM
Worst swing thread ever.

Ashes
20th May 2013, 09:56 PM
Worst swing thread ever.

This is a swing thread?

bergsey
20th May 2013, 10:33 PM
cheers bergs.

How does the relationship column work? is that in relation to how it affects your cap/scoring etc.?

Relationship is how strong a factor it is in terms of score e.g. Fairways hit is not a strong predictor of score. GIR is however

virge666
20th May 2013, 10:49 PM
have been, but its actually 6 iron and down. its not that often im hitting longer than a 7i into a green. Most recently, i've been aiming for 100 - 120 out.

Let me re-prase...

6-PW, you have to hit some greens if you want to get better. That kind of stat puts too much pressure on your short game and putting. You might have a few days where your scrambling saves you... but, you miss a few putts, and you may as well walk off.

You simply have to hit greens....

Tongueboy
22nd May 2013, 09:17 PM
Play the game and enjoy the walk. Why **** it up with stats and theory?

muldude
23rd May 2013, 07:56 AM

+145,594

rubin
23rd May 2013, 08:54 AM

+145,594

Because the better u get, the more enjoyable the game is.

popper81
23rd May 2013, 11:56 PM

Are you sure????

Satisfying?...maybe. Enjoyable? Not really.

rubin
24th May 2013, 12:03 AM
Are you sure????

I'm told that's the case.

Ashes
24th May 2013, 08:07 AM
I've pretty much conquered the game and still find it frustrating at times.

matty
24th May 2013, 09:04 AM

I find it the other way around sadly.

TheNuclearOne
24th May 2013, 01:04 PM
I find it the other way around sadly.

That's common too. Often with the improvement comes extra expectations and burden.

Hatchman
25th May 2013, 10:46 AM
That's common too. Often with the improvement comes extra expectations and burden.

+1

Tongueboy
26th May 2013, 11:31 AM
Are you sure????

I find this disturbing but i agree whole heartedly;)

popper81
26th May 2013, 01:17 PM
Are you sure????

Just to clarify this statement, I still really enjoy golf.

I just don't find it MORE enjoyable because I play off low numbers. I get enjoyment from hitting good shots. The trouble is your expectations are much higher. Golf is a frustrating beast. The difference between how good your bad shots are is what gets you playing off low numbers.

I find this disturbing but i agree whole heartedly;)

:lol:

rubin
4th June 2013, 02:00 PM
well an update:
after 2 rounds now. granted, its not going to be great average, but if i keep track of it all, it might help.

Driving Accuracy:
Still at 50% fairways. Missing 22% left and 28% right.

GIR:
41.2% hit, 58.8% missed. Had a goodish round at Secrets and hit 50% GIR. I can't think of a consistent miss from the round, but it was a case of some pretty average striking being in play.

Putting:
Pretty average putting display on Saturday, averaged 1.9 putts per hole and 2.1 putts per GIR which is pretty abismal IMO. I had gone quite a while without a 3 putt, and they start creeping back in now. averaging 2 putts per hole now, so need to bring that in a bit too.

Overall, based on scoring, Par 5's seem to be my strongest holes, averaging at 5.3 over the last 2 rounds, or .3 over par. Compared to par 4's which im averaging at 5.0, and par 3's which im averaging at 4.4, it's definately my short irons that need improvement.

I'll look to get some video's over the week/weekend and then people can see whats going on.

Shadesy
4th June 2013, 02:13 PM
You hit 50% of greens and only had 37 points.

Wow.

If you averaged 2.1 putts per GiR the. At worst you have 26-27 points through 9 holes.

Pieface
4th June 2013, 02:19 PM
The power game dominates Par 5!

rubin
4th June 2013, 02:42 PM

Wow.

If you averaged 2.1 putts per GiR the. At worst you have 26-27 points through 9 holes.

good point. I'm not sure, but i'm certainly going to have a look now.

Johnny Canuck
4th June 2013, 02:44 PM
Neighboring fairways count?

Vice MC
4th June 2013, 02:45 PM
Stats don't lie!!

rubin
4th June 2013, 02:51 PM

Wow.

Just checked, 23 points for GIR.

Neighboring fairways count?

where are there parallel fairways at Secrets or the Vines (ellenbrook)

Johnny Canuck
4th June 2013, 02:54 PM
Just checked, 23 points for GIR. where are there parallel fairways at Secrets or the Vines (ellenbrook)For normal players, or for you ;) ?

Yossarian
4th June 2013, 02:54 PM
Something doesn't quite add up I think rubes, you said you had a few birdies one on your non shot hole. So that is 11 points in 3 holes there.

So another 6 GIR with 2 putts gives you at most 18 points, did you have a four putt or so in there?

Yossarian
4th June 2013, 03:01 PM
I'm also not actually pulling the piss out of you here either you clearly care about the stats so I'm just trying to get my head around the.

xx

rubin
4th June 2013, 03:10 PM
For normal players, or for you ;) ?

both. If i could hit the ball 450/500m to get to the other fairways - i wouldnt be playing normal golf. RE/Max tour!

Something doesn't quite add up I think rubes, you said you had a few birdies one on your non shot hole. So that is 11 points in 3 holes there.

So another 6 GIR with 2 putts gives you at most 18 points, did you have a four putt or so in there?

I'm also not actually pulling the piss out of you here either you clearly care about the stats so I'm just trying to get my head around the.

xx

The Stats are the only objective way i can measure my game. Someone saying your swing looks good is very subjective, so i want something to measure it by. I thought my putting was going good, the stats tell a different story. if i can get my putting together, there is no reason why that couldn't have been a low 80's round.

There was only 1 hole i didn't get a shot on - the 7th. I just missed the fairway, but hit a cracker of a 4i to the middle of the green. 2 putt bird.

The 9th was the other hole i picked up a bird. which was good for a 4 pointer.

of the other 6 GIR's, 4 par's (12 points) and and 2 bogeys (4 points).

7 + 12 + 4 = 23.

Yossarian
4th June 2013, 03:15 PM
Ah you only had a couple of birdies. All is clear to me.

Shadesy
4th June 2013, 03:24 PM
I'm not pulling the piss either. 8 greens is great going.

It's obvious without stats though. 14 points through the other 10 holes when you miss the green.

Scrambling is where it's at for you.

rubin
4th June 2013, 03:30 PM
I'm not pulling the piss either. 8 greens is great going.

It's obvious without stats though. 14 points through the other 10 holes when you miss the green.

Scrambling is where it's at for you.

Pretty much. Forgot to include that one.

Scrambling has me at 20%, and sand saves at secrets at 100% (1 bunker, 1 par).

This is from Golfshot though, so i'm not really sure how it works out scrambling etc. I wouldn't really call it scrambling when u duff your second and are still 150m out.

Daves
4th June 2013, 04:46 PM
If I hit 50% of greens in a round, based on my stats history, it will be a sub 80's round.

rubin
4th June 2013, 08:04 PM
If I hit 50% of greens in a round, based on my stats history, it will be a sub 80's round.

I wish.

I reckon i had a very good chance of going low 80's. 6 x 3 putts, and i know that 4 of those should only have been 2 putts, save for just not paying attention. 4 of the 6 on the front 9 too :(

Live and learn. Hopefully i can get a good one in on Sunday and go low on the card (for me anyway)

Yossarian
4th June 2013, 08:11 PM
Rubes what do you mean by not paying attention? Surely the shot you hit or putt you rolled is the only putt or shot you could have played? Anything else just seems like an excuse?

rubin
4th June 2013, 08:22 PM
Rubes what do you mean by not paying attention? Surely the shot you hit or putt you rolled is the only putt or shot you could have played? Anything else just seems like an excuse?

True, but it was more me rushing and not my usual routine and that type of thing.

simmsy
4th June 2013, 08:34 PM
my heads spinning, yours must be like living in Oklahoma!

Pieface
4th June 2013, 08:48 PM
Imagine how good rubes would be if he paid attention to what he was doing?!?

I know what you mean but the string of "I shot x but could of had y if not for z" posts is very amusing. I thought I was the king of those!

FoxGolf
4th June 2013, 09:02 PM
2.1 putts per GUR which is pretty abismal IMO.

How many greens under repair were there? 2.1 putts per green under repair sounds ok to me. ;)

hocko
4th June 2013, 09:05 PM
Repair?

FoxGolf
4th June 2013, 09:17 PM
He did say gur and not gir. I assumed that's what he meant?

Pieface
4th June 2013, 09:19 PM
Hocko is just desperate to discover if he can get some relief while putting.

Good pickup Fox!

hocko
4th June 2013, 09:34 PM

Good pickup Fox!
Oh, I'm sorry.
What are you playing off again?

rubin
4th June 2013, 10:20 PM
How many greens under repair were there? 2.1 putts per green under repair sounds ok to me. ;)

I hadn't noticed that. Took me 10mins to find it as well.

Good pickup Fox!

Gotta love it how the bloke who never plays, tries to hang shit on likes who do.

Yossarian
4th June 2013, 11:24 PM
And your spelling and grammar is normally so good Rubes!

Pieface I lold.

Also rubes I understand about being rushed in your preshot etc I wish I knew how to feel unrushed.

rubin
4th June 2013, 11:32 PM
And your spelling and grammar is normally so good Rubes!

Pieface I lold.

Also rubes I understand about being rushed in your preshot etc I wish I knew how to feel unrushed.

I do what I can.

I reckon next time pie gets a leave pass, he should have a putt off with Hocko. Plenty of time to practice Hocko, by 2015 u should be right.

hocko
4th June 2013, 11:35 PM
You can both GGF.
I have a handicap of 4.6. That doesn't come without being able to putt, or hit fairways or hit greens.

hocko
4th June 2013, 11:36 PM
You can both GGF.
I have a handicap of 4.6. That doesn't come without being able to putt, or hit fairways or hit greens.
Or being able to play said game

Shadesy
4th June 2013, 11:52 PM
Did they purposely make all the Royals in Perth so easy?

Johnny Canuck
5th June 2013, 12:34 AM
I wish.I reckon i had a very good chance of going low 80's. 6 x 3 putts, and i know that 4 of those should only have been 2 putts, save for just not paying attention. 4 of the 6 on the front 9 too :(Live and learn. Hopefully i can get a good one in on Sunday and go low on the card (for me anyway)16 putts over the other 12 holes is impressive, Rubes. 8 x 1 putt holes, how did you not score 47 points when you combine this with 50% gir?

rubin
10th June 2013, 11:15 AM
3rd round of Stats counting.

Driving: Staying solid at 50% Fairways hit. Both the Vines and Secrets are courses where you can play driver off the tee a lot, so i guess i'm getting better accuracy with the big sticks.

Greens: Back to an avg of 38.9% hit. Pretty average really, so its definately my approaches that are letting me down. Annoyingly, I hit 63% on the front on the front yesterday.

Scrambling and Recovery:
Scrambling: Bad - oh so very bad.
Sand Saves: not much better.

A little disheartened after yesterdays round, not sure if it was my play, the weather or a combination of both (im inclined to think the latter). Need to get out a practice a bit I think.

Ashes
10th June 2013, 12:40 PM
3rd round of Stats counting.

Driving: Staying solid at 50% Fairways hit. Both the Vines and Secrets are courses where you can play driver off the tee a lot, so i guess i'm getting better accuracy with the big sticks.

Greens: Back to an avg of 38.9% hit. Pretty average really, so its definately my approaches that are letting me down. Annoyingly, I hit 63% on the front on the front yesterday.

Scrambling and Recovery:
Scrambling: Bad - oh so very bad.
Sand Saves: not much better.

A little disheartened after yesterdays round, not sure if it was my play, the weather or a combination of both (im inclined to think the latter). Need to get out a practice a bit I think.

I was really surprised when you walked off and said you shot 28 points to be honest. I figured you would have been high 80's and around 36.

I can't recall too many bad holes for you. 1 (hooked mid iron), 6 (driver pushed right) and 16 (hooked driver) was it for memory.

2 and 3 were two of the best recovery shots I've seen anyone hit.

What were your putting stats?

rubin
10th June 2013, 01:16 PM
I was really surprised when you walked off and said you shot 28 points to be honest. I figured you would have been high 80's and around 36.

I can't recall too many bad holes for you. 1 (hooked mid iron), 6 (driver pushed right) and 16 (hooked driver) was it for memory.

2 and 3 were two of the best recovery shots I've seen anyone hit.

What were your putting stats?

I'm still surprised i found that ball on 12. it had to have hit something on the way out there.

Putting stats showed 32 for the round, but that doesn't account for 16 (wiped off the green) 12 (wiped on the green, but lets assume a 4 putt there, i had 3 to where i picked up from) and a wipe off the green on 6. so based on that, i'm gonna say it would have been closer to 40 putts.

The annoying thing is that I still don't feel like i have been putting all that bad, but the numbers tell a different story.

I was stoked with my second on 2, caught it sweet out of the bunker with a nice little baby draw. probably my best shot of the day there.

The recovery on 3 caught me by surprise, i didn't try and do anything special with it, just knock it up near the green somewhere.

Shadesy
10th June 2013, 02:12 PM
Again 7 greens is pretty good going.

It's the holes that you don't hit are you problem. Should be plenty if 2 pointers in those to keep your round going.

Are you compounding mistakes?

rubin
10th June 2013, 02:47 PM
Again 7 greens is pretty good going.

It's the holes that you don't hit are you problem. Should be plenty if 2 pointers in those to keep your round going.

Are you compounding mistakes?

not normally, or not that i can think of yesterday.

From tee to green, if i made a mistake, i think i recovered pretty well. its once i got on the green is when i had problems.

On reflection, i was striking the ball well yesterday at all, and i definately wasn't switched on mentally (serves me right for watching the Canadian GP at 2 in the morning). But at the end of the day, its a combination of 2 things, approach shots, and putting. if i can hit my approaches closer, i can reduce the 3 putts. If i reduce the 3 putts, I shoot a better score.

sounds easy when i put it that way :D

I'm looking to hit the range this week, so i'll try and get some video of my swing.

Ashes
10th June 2013, 03:10 PM
I thought you were striking the ball really well yesterday... If I can play to around an 18 cap, you should be low teens or perhaps even nudging single figures with a little more consistency; putting is pretty much the only aspect of your game that isn't significantly better than mine.

simmsy
10th June 2013, 03:26 PM
Hi my name is Ashes. I like to gobble Rubin at any chance I get.

Yossarian
10th June 2013, 03:31 PM
:lol:

Johnny Canuck
10th June 2013, 03:50 PM
Nom nom nom.

Ashes
10th June 2013, 04:09 PM
Damn.

rubin
10th June 2013, 04:32 PM
I thought you were striking the ball really well yesterday... If I can play to around an 18 cap, you should be low teens or perhaps even nudging single figures with a little more consistency; putting is pretty much the only aspect of your game that isn't significantly better than mine.

doing my best mate.

might be time for a new putter. just to mix it up a little.

Hi my name is Ashes. I like to gobble Rubin at any chance I get.

:lol: that is quite funny.

BayBum
10th June 2013, 09:17 PM
Any swing footage yet Rubes ?

meh
10th June 2013, 09:43 PM

Worst swing thread ever.

rubin
11th June 2013, 12:29 AM

Later this week with any luck.

simmsy
11th June 2013, 11:15 AM
im picking we will have TourFits SALE OF THE CENTURY before we get this vid.

meh
11th June 2013, 04:10 PM
im picking we will have TourFits SALE OF THE CENTURY before we get this vid.

:)

rubin
13th June 2013, 10:59 PM
video's added to OP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uon4N_jsswQ&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkmsSr_aVM8&feature=youtu.be

rubin
13th June 2013, 11:15 PM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o34mA8_5hd0&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o34mA8_5hd0&amp;feature=youtu.be

a (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o34mA8_5hd0&feature=youtu.be)nd a 7 iron

simmsy
14th June 2013, 12:00 AM
50 LEFT!
On the driver.

Yossarian
14th June 2013, 12:03 AM
To me it looks like you sway a ways off the ball.

Ashes
14th June 2013, 12:18 AM
This thread needs more goblin

rubin
14th June 2013, 12:25 AM
50 LEFT!
On the driver.

not on that one.

To me it looks like you sway a ways off the ball.

its a deliberate movement to force myself onto my back foot and try and remove the reverse pivot. Im forcing myself to do it at the moment.

well.... youve posted, so we're sweet now.

Johnny Canuck
14th June 2013, 12:45 AM

as opposed to gobblin?

Ashes
14th June 2013, 08:17 AM
I meant as in the band

Pieface
14th June 2013, 10:18 AM
(08 ) 9322 1200 (http://www.ashleyandmartin.com.au/) to help with the biggest issue I can see.

Ashes...that is awesome!

IamViva
14th June 2013, 05:49 PM
my advice is too shorten your backswing... you're not flexible enough to achieve that position at the top. this is causing your pivot at the top.

shorten the backswing less pivot.

JADO75
14th June 2013, 06:07 PM
Have you always aimed right with your driver & then do the big out to in with a square face swing?

rubin
14th June 2013, 06:25 PM
Have you always aimed right with your driver & then do the big out to in with a square face swing?

No.

I was on the far left hand side of the range, so it looks like I'm aiming further right than what I actually was.

I used to play with a base slice, and would occasionally knock it straight.

In the video is not a natural swing, it's me for forcing myself to swing along that path. So far, it's far more consistent than before.

rubin
14th June 2013, 06:25 PM
my advice is too shorten your backswing... you're not flexible enough to achieve that position at the top. this is causing your pivot at the top.

shorten the backswing less pivot.

Funnily enough, that is shortened. Seriously

JADO75
14th June 2013, 06:33 PM
Before you pull the trigger it looks like you are looking way to your left but your feet are aligned right of where you were looking. When I was swinging with an over the top swing I used to do the same

matty
15th June 2013, 11:04 AM
Looks like a powerful swing. Seems like good club head speed. Do you get it out there? I know you or Yoss do, can't remember who.

Three things I saw. It looked like a decent pull left to your feet alignment. Was it?

You have a low takeaway, which the swing gurus detest. Looks like mine from the vid.

lastly, that sway back is the one thing I'd get rid of. I know you're doing it on purpose but the risk is that becoming the norm.

simmsy
15th June 2013, 04:50 PM
i use to sway back like that. Razaar set me straight. took me a year to fix truly to the point that it wasn't a thought at all at any time and trust the swing but it was the best thing i have done. just made the swing alot more consistent.

he showed me an awesome teaching video by a guy who's name escapes me but looks and talks like this dude from Law&Order:

http://newspaper.li/static/bf303ffddfd3ccc18cdb9dfd412aa042.jpg

davidw88
15th June 2013, 05:54 PM
If you didn't suck it back to the inside on your backswing, you would probably end up with more consistent hits

rubin
15th June 2013, 06:22 PM
The sway is a very deliberate movement. If I don't make myself do it, it's not there.

I found (and OMS has seen it first hand) that I tend to get a bad reverse pivot going and I don't clear through the ball. It's a movement at the moment that is getting me through the ball a lot better and with a better weight transfer.

My mishits have nothing to do with me taking the club inside on the way back. It is either me coming up out if the swing and standing up straight at impact, or getting very wristy and snapping it.

I am significantly more consistent with my swing now, than what I was before.

Puji
15th June 2013, 08:22 PM
What do you play off?

You seem like you know exactly what causes what and what needs to be done.

But I agree - can the sway. Don't know why you would ever do that intentionally. But in sure you have your reasons.

Good luck.

simmsy
15th June 2013, 08:40 PM
**** the sway off rubin. there is nothing good in it. all it's doing is stopping one problem and creating 6 more.

learn to turn around your right leg using it as a post. (someone with alot more knowledge will explain that better) the sway will not work.

popper81
15th June 2013, 08:52 PM
Rubin, don't take tips from choppers of the Internet.... Go and see someone. You have awesome hand speed. The rest is crap.

Johnny Canuck
15th June 2013, 08:56 PM
But Rubin is a chopper on the Internet. The advice should be spot on.

simmsy
15th June 2013, 09:01 PM
Rubin has given more swing/equipment advice than Jack and Razaar combined. i think he'll be fine.

idgolfguy
15th June 2013, 10:24 PM
Rubin, don't take tips from choppers of the Internet.... Go and see someone. You have awesome hand speed. The rest is crap.
And we have a winner!
+ Advice is perceived to be more creditable when paid for.

Puji
15th June 2013, 11:18 PM
We all know that the best advice is from a pro - yet we all post videos (or used to). Why? Because its interesting and it's a forum.

Might as well close, delete and burn the bloody swing forum down completely.

Shadesy
15th June 2013, 11:21 PM
Should keep the sway... All the good players do it.

Yossarian
16th June 2013, 08:01 PM
Your buns look good rubes.

rubin
17th June 2013, 02:24 PM
**** the sway off rubin. there is nothing good in it. all it's doing is stopping one problem and creating 6 more.

learn to turn around your right leg using it as a post. (someone with alot more knowledge will explain that better) the sway will not work.

I know what you mean. I will get back to that point cause the sway is quite difficult to keep going all the time.

I didn't post it for advice TBH, people asked, so I posted. Its a work in progress though. I reckon the hand speed would have come from growing up playing baseball....

Rubin has given more swing/equipment advice than Jack and Razaar combined. i think he'll be fine.

too many people (JC in particular) work on the assumption that because someone can't do it themselves, means they have no idea what they are looking at or talking about. From a video standpoint, I can see what i'm doing wrong and at what points. Fixing it, is something else entirely when I don't video every single swing i ever make.

I've dropped 2 shots over the course of 5 rounds. I reckon for the moment i'll keep doing what i'm doing and what i'm practicing.

Your buns look good rubes.

cheers - i get that a lot.

Johnny Canuck
17th June 2013, 03:09 PM
I never make that assumption, Rubes. I know what you aren't capable of.

The sway is terrible. You obviously don't know what not to do, or you wouldn't have waited until everyone said so before finally admitting that it needs to be eliminated.

rubin
17th June 2013, 03:35 PM
I never make that assumption, Rubes. I know what you aren't capable of.

The sway is terrible. You obviously don't know what not to do, or you wouldn't have waited until everyone said so before finally admitting that it needs to be eliminated.

no.

i know that its not ideal nor will it lead to consistency, but as you can see in my first response:

The sway is a very deliberate movement. If I don't make myself do it, it's not there.

I found (and OMS has seen it first hand) that I tend to get a bad reverse pivot going and I don't clear through the ball. It's a movement at the moment that is getting me through the ball a lot better and with a better weight transfer.

it will not be there long term. I'm using at the moment to get a consistent weight transfer forward in an effort to get rid of the reverse pivot.

Waddzy
17th June 2013, 06:19 PM
Not trying to have a dig mate but why don't you instead of using the sway temporarily , work on something that will fix it long term... There's no point getting your cap down to single figures with a temporary swing to turn around and attempt to rebuild a swing and start playing to 20+ again ? Or are u waiting for a specific time to start fixing it?

JADO75
17th June 2013, 11:24 PM
Who told you to sway deliberately? Do bad shit long enough & it becomes your normal shit

matty
18th June 2013, 07:32 AM
We all know that the best advice is from a pro - yet we all post videos (or used to). Why? Because its interesting and it's a forum.

Might as well close, delete and burn the bloody swing forum down completely.

Exactly. The only muppets in a swing forum are the muppets that visit and tell the original poster not read to the other posts.

popper81
18th June 2013, 09:11 AM
Exactly. The only muppets in a swing forum are the muppets that visit and tell the original poster not read to the other posts.

There are always good snippets of advice, the trouble most will grab the wrong snippet, and only make their individual problem worse. The key is knowing what is good advice, and what isn't. IMO & experience advice from any more than one person turns into a cluster ****, and no good comes from it.

Reading things in other peoples threads even get in my mind, can only imagine how much of a head shag your your thread was for a while....No wonder you you stopped posting in it. I would of too.

Another example is Puji...ditched the camera, just hitting balls on feel and results, and now playing better. Of course he is still flipping at it, but he is not so worried , or focused on it anymore, and playing better golf for it, albeit only short term.

Mububban
18th June 2013, 10:39 AM
I reckon the hand speed would have come from growing up playing baseball....

Do you find that the baseball swing has helped or hindered? Possibly helped in releasing the club?

It's taken me a long time to get rid of my cricket bat grip/swing, it makes for a great cover drive with the driver but that's not really what I'm after on a golf course

Puji
18th June 2013, 01:16 PM
Another example is Puji...ditched the camera, just hitting balls on feel and results, and now playing better. Of course he is still flipping at it, but he is not so worried , or focused on it anymore, and playing better golf for it, albeit only short term.

Spot on. I could not care less about the flipping rubbish. I am more accurate, longer and more consistent. All without having to practice at all. Constantly shoot in the 70's.

I realised that I'm just a weekend golfer - ditched the video and analysis and just focused on one thing - impact.

Since then my handicap has gone from 11 to 5 in less than 6 months.

As to whether I'm flipping - you can't say that I am, and I can't say that I'm not.

Short term? Ha. Not a chance.

rubin
18th June 2013, 01:47 PM
Not trying to have a dig mate but why don't you instead of using the sway temporarily , work on something that will fix it long term... There's no point getting your cap down to single figures with a temporary swing to turn around and attempt to rebuild a swing and start playing to 20+ again ? Or are u waiting for a specific time to start fixing it?

Who told you to sway deliberately? Do bad shit long enough & it becomes your normal shit

While the movement itself is temporary, i'm using it purely to get the feel of a good weight transfer through the ball. I was finding that even when I had a better looking swing, i still wasn't getting my weight forward/over the ball and was always behind it. I know it's wrong (i've never said it was right), but what i am working on (overall) is working for me at the moment.

Do you find that the baseball swing has helped or hindered? Possibly helped in releasing the club?

It's taken me a long time to get rid of my cricket bat grip/swing, it makes for a great cover drive with the driver but that's not really what I'm after on a golf course[/COLOR]

Realistically, a golf swing is more baseball than cricket i guess, in the basics of it anyway. Power up by coiling from legs, hips, torso, shoulders, arms and then hands. Hold off on releasing the bat (club for golf) for as long as possible to maximise speed/power. Play with a very delayed release and it leaves the bat open and the ball will fade out to the right, the same way a golf ball would fade if played with an open clubface. release early and draw it, the same as a closed clubface in golf would.

The difference is that with baseball, the motion is natural (our bodies are able and to a point, designed, to rotate around a fixed point whilst standing tall). The hard part is hitting a ball that is moving at you at around 100km/h+.

Golf is decidedly un-natural, in that we are to rotate around a fixed point, whilst bending over at a certain angle, maintaining that angle whilst swinging a club, that with centrifugal and centripetal forces involved in the swing, exaggerates the weight of the club to over 100x its dry weight, all whilst ensuring the club face at the end of a stick a metre or so long stays square to our intended line/path etc.

Johnny Canuck
18th June 2013, 02:28 PM
Realistically, a golf swing is more baseball than cricket i guess, in the basics of it anyway. Power up by coiling from legs, hips, torso, shoulders, arms and then hands. Hold off on releasing the bat (club for golf) for as long as possible to maximise speed/power. Play with a very delayed release and it leaves the bat open and the ball will fade out to the right, the same way a golf ball would fade if played with an open clubface. release early and draw it, the same as a closed clubface in golf would.

The difference is that with baseball, the motion is natural (our bodies are able and to a point, designed, to rotate around a fixed point whilst standing tall). The hard part is hitting a ball that is moving at you at around 100km/h+.

So much bullshit.

meh
18th June 2013, 02:31 PM

Exactly.

Vice MC
18th June 2013, 02:51 PM
http://www.good-win-racing.com/miata/images/items/RBMX5SwayBars.jpg

Yossarian
18th June 2013, 03:29 PM
I heart this thread.

Puji
18th June 2013, 03:55 PM

Golf is decidedly un-natural, in that we are to rotate around a fixed point, whilst bending over at a certain angle, maintaining that angle whilst swinging a club, that with centrifugal and centripetal forces involved in the swing, exaggerates the weight of the club to over 100x its dry weight, all whilst ensuring the club face at the end of a stick a metre or so long stays square to our intended line/path etc.

Wow.

Deep.

Yossarian
18th June 2013, 04:13 PM
Rubes,

I remember zenolink being really good for transfer of forces.

Tongueboy
22nd June 2013, 02:29 PM
Bring Jack and his intruction thread. The rest are muppets.

Yossarian
23rd June 2013, 08:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsgL35RCGcc

Yossarian
24th June 2013, 06:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjoC20k_ZOk

This is a multilayered joke.