PDA

View Full Version : Same group each week?

sms316
19th May 2013, 03:24 PM
I've never done this until the last twelve months and I'm a convert. Always thought it was a little odd, but now I can see what the attraction is.

No random spuds ruining my Saturday game.

live4golf
19th May 2013, 03:30 PM
so just the 3 long putters in that group then?

I generally play with the same blokes, it is good knowing the same spuds will screw with you

Sydney Hacker
19th May 2013, 03:31 PM
The other members at Pelican appreciate the 3 members who are doing their community service each Saturday.

sms316
19th May 2013, 03:32 PM
so just the 3 long putters in that group then?I generally play with the same blokes, it is good knowing the same spuds will screw with youOne of our "alternates" is the club champ who uses a broomy. Dodgy bastard.

Ferrins
19th May 2013, 03:32 PM
I have never taken much notice of anyone I have played with.

AndyP
19th May 2013, 03:40 PM
I've never really had it, but there was a brief period there where I had the same group and it was great. Unfortunately, they left the club for different reasons.

live4golf
19th May 2013, 03:42 PM
I've never really had it, but there was a brief period there where I had the same group and it was great. Unfortunately, they left the club for different reasons.

Reason 1: AndyP
Reason 2: Andy
Reason 3: AP

:)

Sydney Hacker
19th May 2013, 03:53 PM
I miss the days of country golf where the names went in a hat and a random draw was done for a shotgun start.

I think it lead to a more club mentality as everyone got to know each other.

Obviously not practical for large clubs with a one tee start though .

Jarro
19th May 2013, 03:55 PM
Variety is the spice of life

Ferrins
19th May 2013, 04:04 PM
At Tenterfield you pay your comp fees and then they organise the groups.

popper81
19th May 2013, 04:53 PM
I like it... SMS has hit the nail on the head.

TheNuclearOne
19th May 2013, 05:53 PM
Mostly end up with 4 of the same 5 or 6 amigo's each game. It's good. Now and then we have a random if a couple of the mates can't make it. With three of us in the group of 4 our game isn't going to be ruined tho.

The only negative is you can get groups that bend the rules or out and/or out cheat a bit. The mate went off super early one day and a couple of times balls were miles from where they could possibly be. He said after about 14 holes he basically stopped conversing with them. These other three play together all the time and have some decent results in some of the bigger days. The mates pretty easy going and for him to be so unimpressed is really saying something.

Not much you can do tho when they play together (usually as a 4) all the time, very early to boot. Perhaps he caught them on an off day :roll:

WBennett
19th May 2013, 06:00 PM
Have a semi regular 4some, but swap it around. I enjoyed Champs playing with a few blokes I didn't normally play with and having a few beers afterwards.

But there are very few people on the timesheet I avoid so I don't worry too much.

dc68
19th May 2013, 06:35 PM
We have a group of 16 or so blokes that we rotate around and mix it up. Couldn't play with the same 4 week in week out.

AndyP
19th May 2013, 07:02 PM
Reason 1: AndyP
Reason 2: Andy
Reason 3: AP

:)
I thought I had worded it so some bellend couldn't say something like that.

damoocow
19th May 2013, 07:03 PM
Did it for about 5 years - same group of 4 - off at 6am every Saturday - got sick off hitting off so early and decided to play later in the morning - was not received well by one of the original group - now enjoying playing later and with different people

haysey
19th May 2013, 07:44 PM
I wish I could find a new group.

Lucasto23
19th May 2013, 07:49 PM
I wish I could find a new group. It won't help your game mate. Going is the only option :)

dc68
19th May 2013, 07:56 PM
I wish I could find a new group.

Doesn't a different Bob turn up every week? Or is there only one golf personality?

Veefore
19th May 2013, 08:09 PM
Veeman and TWM are the only people who will play with me. :(

Captain Nemo
19th May 2013, 08:21 PM
I had a regular 4 some till this year when the other 3 guys went 6 days (Sunday only on weekend).
Is that saying something?

BenM
19th May 2013, 09:00 PM
All three changing may mean something Titty.... Maybe you need to shower more.

Dotty
19th May 2013, 09:02 PM
We have eight regulars for Wed. morning, and use a round robin generator to pick the pairs/groups, over a 2 month period. Occasionally, one/two will have a visitor or be away during school holidays, which is easily accomodated.

For Saturdays, I book online the night before (I often work Friday night) and pick the 'best' gap (either with someone I've been haven't played with for a while, or someone with a new member).

Webster
19th May 2013, 09:08 PM
I'm similar to Dotty - play with the same group of about 20 blokes on Wed arvo's, mixing up the groups according to who arrives when, and on Sat I just tend to put my name down late and play with different people. It can get a bit stale and predictable playing in the same four week after week.

Captain Nemo
19th May 2013, 09:13 PM
All three changing may mean something Titty.... Maybe you need to shower more.

I always shower in the morning, so that's not the case....;)

LeftyHoges
20th May 2013, 03:25 AM
One of our "alternates" is the club champ who uses a broomy. Dodgy bastard.

Bloody Broomy using club champs. Dirty frickin cheats. :lol:

sms316
20th May 2013, 06:18 AM
Bloody Broomy using club champs. Dirty frickin cheats. :lol: Lucky he has thick skin.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/smsmith1976/null-18.jpg

IamViva
20th May 2013, 08:07 AM
haha is that an asterix?

sms316
20th May 2013, 08:12 AM
Indeed. Not my writing either btw.

Monsta
20th May 2013, 11:56 AM
We play in the same 4 of a Saturday and most Sunday's, throw the pills up to decide playing partners for the bet,
Group has changed a bit over the last 12 months with one member moving to a warmer climate and another being dumped for not showing up all the time.
Alot of sledging goes on as we all know each other well and it makes for a very enjoyable day.....

PerryGroves
20th May 2013, 12:17 PM
We have a group of 16 or so blokes that we rotate around and mix it up. Couldn't play with the same 4 week in week out.

We have the same, always a minimunm of eight play, sometimes the full contingent. We have our own website, chat page, tour details etc. Works well, as we don't have a full Saturday sheet we generally get the block times we want.

Marto65
20th May 2013, 01:10 PM
Generally play in the same group at the same time every Saturday - 5 regulars .. different ones of us will have other plans sometimes. It's great as we all play "Piggy" (AKA Wolf). It's sometimes hard to get a bet on if there is a mystery 4th .. specially if it is one of the juniors ...

Courty
20th May 2013, 04:24 PM
For many years I played in a group of about 20. We all had regular partners, and would play against a different pair each Saturday. A few years ago I switched to playing mornings and somehow ended up in a group with Haysey & Solarman. Now I can't get away from them.

Monsta
20th May 2013, 04:25 PM
For many years I played in a group of about 20. We all had regular partners, and would play against a different pair each Saturday. A few years ago I switched to playing mornings and somehow ended up in a group with Haysey & Solarman. Now I can't get away from them.

Geez Courty, what did you do wrong to deserve that?????????????

Courty
20th May 2013, 04:27 PM
Geez Courty, what did you do wrong to deserve that?????????????

I'm sure they are probably each thinking the same thing. ;)

Monsta
20th May 2013, 04:33 PM
I'm sure they are probably each thinking the same thing. ;)

Do you play for red lemonades????

Courty
20th May 2013, 04:37 PM

No, there's no need. As long as Solarman plays we're going to get a free jug of something. ;)

popper81
20th May 2013, 04:39 PM

No, there's no need. As long as Solarman plays we're going to get a free jug of something. ;)

Well played Mr Court, well played.

LarryLong
20th May 2013, 04:50 PM
I play with a group of about 20 or 30 blokes who all show up at 7am on Saturday morning, and I usually just throw my name anywhere on the sheet as soon as I walk in. It makes for a change each time you play, and I enjoy playing with different people.

Being the only member under 40 (or so it seems) at my club contributes to this as well.

8081travis
20th May 2013, 05:47 PM
Never done it until start of this year, joined a club made some mates play every Sunday it's great

IanO
20th May 2013, 06:56 PM
I have always just grabbed the first gap in the sheet so played with the same 40 or so guys but on a random basis. I was just asked to join one of the groups as a permanent member so will see how it goes (they are a nice group of guys)

Minor_Threat
20th May 2013, 08:44 PM
Same group for me most weeks.

Tongueboy
20th May 2013, 10:03 PM
I miss the days of country golf where the names went in a hat and a random draw was done for a shotgun start.

What he said

IanO
21st May 2013, 03:32 PM
We have 200 + starters every Saturday, the names in a hat is never going to work.

Goldy
21st May 2013, 03:46 PM
We're gonna need a bigger hat.

LeftyHoges
21st May 2013, 04:21 PM
Lucky he has thick skin.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/smsmith1976/null-18.jpg

Wish they'd hurry up and do our champs board so I can do the same.

Me too. My old club it just basically used to be you got sent out in the 4 that you paid at the same time as. As soon as 4 were ready to go, they'd go.

Funnily enough, the ones that wanted to play together all paid at exactly the same time, even if they'd been there for 30 minutes already.

sms316
21st May 2013, 04:34 PM
Wish they'd hurry up and do our champs board so I can do the same. If he used a broomy when we got into a sudden death playoff in the Murray DGA foursomes back in about 2000 we would have won. I hit it to about 18" on a par 3 (2nd playoff hole) and the useless bastard didn't even hit the hole. It took my playoff record to 9-1. I was filthy.

Moe Norman
21st May 2013, 04:38 PM
back when I played, I had 2 mates at the club and usually played with one or both of them, with a different random thrown in.

then we got the same random every week, who became a mate - but we all decided just to randomly split into 2's each week and not play in the same group as it was getting boring.

LeftyHoges
21st May 2013, 05:28 PM
If he used a broomy when we got into a sudden death playoff in the Murray DGA foursomes back in about 2000 we would have won. I hit it to about 18" on a par 3 (2nd playoff hole) and the useless bastard didn't even hit the hole. It took my playoff record to 9-1. I was filthy.

Now, c'mon mate... You can't asterisk someones name for using and then blame them for losing when not using! :lol:

I can easily imagine it though, dead-set useless with the shorty.

sms316
21st May 2013, 05:37 PM
Now, c'mon mate... You can't asterisk someones name for using and then blame them for losing when not using! :lol:I can easily imagine it though, dead-set useless with the shorty. Seriously, the prick used to hole everything.

Johnny Canuck
21st May 2013, 06:52 PM
Lucky he has thick skin.http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/smsmith1976/null-18.jpg Post reported for reeking of awesomeness.