PDA

View Full Version : Tennis anyone....

Golfgirl
26th June 2004, 11:00 AM
Well, I am currently glued to the TV while Wimbledon is on, and I got to thinking about actually taking up tennis (I've never even picked up a racket before... :shock: ).

So - how many of you are tennis players? Or what other sports are you involved in? (Do you have time for them between golf and Ozgolf?)

Me, personally, I haven't played another sport since taking up golf... but then, since high school where I did martial arts, swimming and long distance running, I haven't really played sport at all.... :oops:

Hubby used to be a very, very good tennis player and a soccer player, but is looking forward to getting back into a bit of touch footy with some local guys....

Jarro
26th June 2004, 11:37 AM
well i've played lots of different sports.

Rugby league in high school. Cricket, indoor cricket, soccer.

but my best result in sport was making the Queensland side in Baseball. i made the state squad while in high school and also made it for my local side. Great game, just wish i had of stuck with it :(

AndyP
26th June 2004, 02:03 PM
GG, usually I would have a lot of late nights about this time of year too. But my circumstances at the moment don't allow me to neglect too much sleep. If Lleyton and Poo make it to the second week, I will try and watch them then.

I play competition tennis on Tuesday nights, and until a recent arrival played indoor cricket as well. Other sports I have played include touch football, Aussie rules, and corporate lunchtime mixed netball.

Golfgirl
26th June 2004, 04:33 PM
GG, usually I would have a lot of late nights about this time of year too. But my circumstances at the moment don't allow me to neglect too much sleep. If Lleyton and Poo make it to the second week, I will try and watch them then.

no - I am lazy and am watching the replays om Fox sports during the day.... I need my beauty sleep... :wink:

gazgolf1
26th June 2004, 04:48 PM
Used to love tennis but cannot stand watching it on TV anymore. :smt078
I grew up watching Borg,Lendl,Mcenroe,Connors and I even remember watching Ken Rosewell and Newc.
The game today seems to be so focussed on big serves and the players are so faceless and boring.
Or maybe I just sucked at tennis and I'm just taking it out on the players of today.
BITTER. :wink:

AndyP
26th June 2004, 05:48 PM
I can watch all of the men's tennis, except for the French Open. Just doesn't come across on TV very well.
I don't generally watch the women's, but it is getting better and more entertaining.

damoocow
26th June 2004, 08:06 PM
Take your pick - tennis is either
A - a game only for girls
B - a game only for poofters
C - all of the above
Hope my message is clear enough.
damoocow

markTHEblake
26th June 2004, 09:31 PM
Whats a tennis?

i dont even watch golf on telly....

Courty
26th June 2004, 10:04 PM
Played a bit of tennis as a junior. Wasn't much good. I like squash better. You don't need to worry about getting any topspin :P .
My sporting career includes:

Swimming (school team)
Basketball (rep)
Beach Volleyball (rep)
Indoor Volleyball (rep)
Waterskiing
Wakeboarding
Indoor Cricket
Indoor Soccer
Indoor Mixed Netball
Squash
Outdoor 6-a-side soccer
1 game of Rugby Union on the wing. Never again.

Anyone would think I am some sort of sporting legend or something :roll: :twisted:

AndyP
27th June 2004, 06:57 AM
Geez Courty, I didn't realise we were listing everything.

If that's the case, then I will mention that I am a state Hookey champion. ;) :^o

Golfgirl
27th June 2004, 08:59 AM
Anyone would think I am some sort of sporting legend or something

Got me impressed anyway.... :shock: :wink:

burger
28th June 2004, 09:13 AM
I played comp tennis for about 15 years & met my wife at our tennis club.
We used to play Sat & Night comp, however with our 3yo & another on the way both comps are now gone.
Various other sports while growing up swimming, volleyball, rugby union, indoor cricket, indoor mixed netball, basketball, touch footy.
These mainly before I had both knees recontructed after Tennis (left) & touch fiity(right) incidents :shock:
Now self-restricted to swimming (for fitness) & golf for fun !

Flowergirl
29th June 2004, 12:14 PM
Now self-restricted to swimming (for fitness) & golf for fun !

Golf.....fun????????............you don't play my brand of golf do you :lol:

burger
29th June 2004, 12:32 PM
fun is in the eye of the beholder . . .who knows I may subconsciously be into self punishment ! :shock: :oops: :twisted:

ksmiffi
15th August 2004, 06:06 PM
C - all of the above
damoocow

I coach tennis. Maybe damoocow can save me a kiss one day since i must fall into the poofter category as im not a girl.
Knob end!!!

AndyP
15th August 2004, 06:18 PM
After a few months of sitting in the shadows, ksmiffi, you give damoocow a serve with your first post. (Pun intended). That's dangerous. :smt003

Welcome to the site. 8)

ksmiffi
15th August 2004, 06:52 PM
Yeah, my serve was always average, haha. But seems to be improving!!! :wink:
Not bad for a supposed tennis playing "pooftar" hahaha.
Thanks for the welcome. Jaster mentioned the site quite awhile back when on BSG so here i am.
Good to see all the aussie posts as i live and work overseas.

damoocow
15th August 2004, 07:18 PM
ksmiffi - congratulations on coming out of the closet .
damoocow

ksmiffi
15th August 2004, 07:27 PM
Thanks Moo, just like to be open about you and i :D

jaster
15th August 2004, 07:34 PM
C - all of the above
damoocow

I coach tennis. Maybe damoocow can save me a kiss one day since i must fall into the poofter category as im not a girl.
Knob end!!!

HAHA...good first post ksmiffi ;) Just wait till next month when your in Brissy and we'll arrange a game of tennis between you and damoocow :wink:

damoocow
15th August 2004, 07:47 PM
good luck to you ksmiffi - as long as you don't ask me to pick up the soap we'll get on well !!
damoocow

ksmiffi
15th August 2004, 08:59 PM
No worries Moo, Jaster already offered!!!!!! :P
Will be looking to play Brookwater either 28 or 29th Sept Jaster.