PDA

View Full Version : Golf Clubs on Flights?

Captain Nemo
15th May 2013, 08:41 AM
Gent's, who's flown lately with their clubs?
Im heading to Melbourne for a Conference on the 16-18th August
If i fly with carry on, should i pay for checked for the clubs, or is it still like previous and they just put the bag on as oversize???
I will most likely fly with Jetstar?

golfbound
15th May 2013, 08:50 AM
i flew virgin last week when we played and my bag just went in oversize, it was included in the 1 checked bag

Captain Nemo
15th May 2013, 08:53 AM
Doh!
Why didnt i just ask you on fri........:smt017
Anyone flown Jetstar with clubs recently?

BrettM
15th May 2013, 08:55 AM
Played Royal Sydney last weekend and just checked in my clubs, they went as oversize. Just took carry on then and as clubs were under 23kg had no problems. Flew Qantas.

Captain Nemo
15th May 2013, 08:56 AM
Ok, so we have Virgin and Qantas covered, just Jetstar to go...:lol:

wazandnic
15th May 2013, 09:09 AM
I flew Jetstar to Tassie in March. (and also have previously) I booked for 1 checked bag (up to 15 or 20kg from memory) Checked bag was the golf bag and I just threw some of my clothes in that and carried on another small bag. Had to check in at main counter and then take your bag to oversize area.

All pretty easy.

Captain Nemo
15th May 2013, 09:10 AM
Ta Waz, all good then.

backintheswing
15th May 2013, 09:17 AM
As long as the bag is less than 32kg and you have prepaid the checked baggage, you will be sweet.

Just get your work to fly you business class and you get 40kg for free.

wazandnic
15th May 2013, 09:24 AM
BiTs from memory I believe with Jetstar your ticket costs depend on what lugage you book. Think you can book 10kg, 15kg, 20kg etc. each costing a little extra. With Qantas and I believe Virgin you either book carry on or checked luggage which has the limit up to 23kg (?? or there abouts)

Captain Nemo
15th May 2013, 09:28 AM
What about if i dont pay for checked and just have a carry-on?

wazandnic
15th May 2013, 09:30 AM
Then I believe you will have to pay for checking your clubs in when you arrive??

backintheswing
15th May 2013, 09:48 AM
I think it will be at least $70 at the airport to buy checked baggage, so you definitely want to do it when you book the tickets.

mrbluu
15th May 2013, 09:58 AM
I have a Wilson travel bag if you want to borrow it. I can bring it on Sunday

wazandnic
15th May 2013, 10:06 AM
I think it will be at least $70 at the airport to buy checked baggage, so you definitely want to do it when you book the tickets.

Agree.

If you've already booked without checked luggage you should be able to add it on to your ticket at any stage prior to online check in also.

IanO
15th May 2013, 11:48 AM
I flew with Qantas and just checked them as my one piece of baggage through the oversize window.

markTHEblake
15th May 2013, 12:16 PM
Every airline has their golf bag rules on their website and they seem to change often. It would be wise to check rather than ask here.

golfbound
15th May 2013, 03:47 PM
Lol i flew business class down and back to sydney on friday and got 3 x 32kg bags, 1 for being a gold member and 2 for busines class not sure who would be carrying 96kg of luggage on a plane.

CanuckDownUnder
15th May 2013, 04:42 PM
prepaid checked baggage is the way to go. i tend to fly everywhere with the sticks. saves $$$ at the airport when ur slightly over on other luggage. My cuz in NA said some of the US airlines now consider the small club bags (driver and putter) on the flights as carry on. luggage.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-05/tsa-will-permit-knives-golf-clubs-on-u-s-planes.html

nothing like swinging a 1 wood over a small pocket knife in the cabin........

GSP
15th May 2013, 07:47 PM
What about overseas. In flying Qantas to china and i believe i have 30 kg but ubsure if i could take a bag and golf bag total of 30 kg

wazandnic
15th May 2013, 08:02 PM
I believe this is the case. Total check in weight = 30kg golf bag included. There did used to be a "sports equipment" additonal allowance but not sure at the moment. As mentioned above best bet is to conact actual ariline to confirm.

markTHEblake
15th May 2013, 08:29 PM
Here is a website (https://www.google.com.au/#safe=off&output=search&q=baggage+allowance) that has all the answers. Was a bit tricky to find.

TS
24th May 2013, 12:08 AM
What about overseas. In flying Qantas to china and i believe i have 30 kg but ubsure if i could take a bag and golf bag total of 30 kg

Qantas let you take a total of 30kg. My golf bag including shoes and golf balls are about 18kg. So you will only have about 12kg left. You can probably get away with about 10kg carry on as well. The Sydney checkin are fine if you are a few kgs over, the HK one can be a pain sometimes.

Yossarian
20th September 2013, 02:07 PM
FWIW, I took my club over to Melbourne recently. On the way home the tit at the oversize baggage desk asked me what else was in the bag.

"Clothes and some shoes mate"

"That isn't allowed any more"

Apparently new regulations. I am not sure if this is just Jetstar / Melbourne thing. I had no issues in Perth but we are 10 years behind.

Captain Nemo
20th September 2013, 02:09 PM
****, really?
I always just load the golf bag up and carry on the rest....
I better check b4 the Champs then.

Yossarian
20th September 2013, 02:10 PM
I didn't stop to fully clarify the whys and whats but that is what he said. He was a bit of twat though.

AndyP
20th September 2013, 02:18 PM
Wow!

I have always relied on the loaded up golf bag.

IanO
20th September 2013, 02:20 PM
I hope that is not on International! I am off to Singapore in 2 weeks and am taking my clubs.

Dotty
20th September 2013, 02:24 PM
No Jetstar problems last weekend at Sydney or Launceston.
18kg in a padded golf over-bag and 9kg carry-on. Just had to sign a 'fragile goods' waiver for the clubs.

Then again, I wasn't dressed like a uni-student. ;)

mrbluu
20th September 2013, 02:32 PM
No Jetstar problems last weekend at Sydney or Launceston.
18kg in a padded golf over-bag and 9kg carry-on. Just had to sign a 'fragile goods' waiver for the clubs.

Then again, I wasn't dressed like a uni-student. ;)

Maybe it's a WAnkers specific rule.....

Steve57
20th September 2013, 02:51 PM
I just took two travel golf bags to the USA and back with Virgin and they were both loaded with clothes and shoes and I had no problems.
The TSA locks were opened but all was good.
No one asked what was in them at all.

Dotty
20th September 2013, 03:02 PM
Yoss, did you pay the luggage allowance or was it included in the ticket cost?

Mine was a cheap seat-only fare, with an additional 20kg of baggage purchased.

TS
20th September 2013, 03:15 PM
I fly out of Melbourne at the end of Aug with my golf bag. I had some clothes and golf shoe in the golf bag, no question was ask.

I was flying with Qantas, but I am sure the oversize baggage desk is share between Qantas & Jetstar.

So what happen at the end, did they ask you to remove clothes from the bag.

Lagerlover
20th September 2013, 03:34 PM
So what happen at the end, did they ask you to remove clothes from the bag.

wazandnic
20th September 2013, 04:47 PM
Surely the clothes were just "rags" for added padding??! ;)

markTHEblake
20th September 2013, 05:20 PM
Apparently new regulations. I am not sure if this is just Jetstar / Melbourne thing. I had no issues in Perth but we are 10 years behind.
Not new. Many airlines mention this in their oversize rules, words like Golf travel bag may only contain 14 clubs, 1 pair of shoes, and 12 golf balls. Some also limit that further to 15kg which is quite irrational, I can only stay under that without the shoes or balls ,and thats a light cover and a stand bag.

Virgin does not have this restriction, they just say the golf bag is included in the normal luggage allowance.

timah!
20th September 2013, 05:30 PM
Taking the clubs to Fiji. Fingers crossed!

WBennett
20th September 2013, 05:45 PM
Ditto Timah - when do you go?

I'm there in three weeks and was planning on using my clothes as the 'padding'...

timah!
20th September 2013, 05:48 PM
Ditto Timah - when do you go?

I'm there in three weeks and was planning on using my clothes as the 'padding'...

Fly out Tuesday for 8 days I think. Hoping to hit up Natadola Nay and Denaru for a round each.

WBennett
20th September 2013, 05:54 PM
Let me know about Denarau - I have unlimited golf there for the week, with two rounds lined up and considering a 3rd if time allows.

TS
20th September 2013, 10:03 PM
Not new. Many airlines mention this in their oversize rules, words like Golf travel bag may only contain 14 clubs, 1 pair of shoes, and 12 golf balls. Some also limit that further to 15kg which is quite irrational, I can only stay under that without the shoes or balls ,and thats a light cover and a stand bag.

Virgin does not have this restriction, they just say the golf bag is included in the normal luggage allowance.

Blakey. That restriction is mostly for airline that doesn't include the weight of the golf club as part of your check baggage.

Yossarian
20th September 2013, 11:01 PM
To those that asked.

I had the fare with Jetstar and upgraded baggage allowance 25 going over 30 coming back. There is no mention of a prohibition of clothes on the Jetstar website that I could find. The Jetstar checkin people had no issue with the bag. I just had to wheel it to the oversize section.

The bloke that told me was a customs/airport bloke. Separate to JS and a complete tit.

He did allow the clubs on without having to remove the clothes. There would have been one hell of a scene otherwise.

markTHEblake
20th September 2013, 11:11 PM
He may well be a tit - probably got mixed up with the rules for different airlines. I have a travel golf cover that is about 2/3s for the golf bag and 1/3 for clothes and crap, I went away for a weekend and it was my only luggage and was just under the 23kg limit. Mind you it is a heavy awkward thing to manage like that, might have been better off with a stiffy.

Yossarian
20th September 2013, 11:18 PM
I don't really understand the logic/reasoning behind it at all?

markTHEblake
20th September 2013, 11:26 PM
as TS mentioned, some airlines dont charge you extra baggage for a golf bag. Therefore they dont want you shoving all your extra shit in with the clubs.
Malaysian Airlines is one of those.

Yossarian
21st September 2013, 12:00 AM
I do get that but I don't think this bloke had anything to do with any airline.

3Puttpete
9th March 2014, 09:47 PM
How necessary is a travel bag? Do I need one or can I just take my chances with the hood on the cart bag?

wazandnic
9th March 2014, 09:50 PM
Depends how pedantic you are about your gear. I have mates that I travel away with, they literally whack there towel in with the clubs, zip up the cover and check it in. Never had an issue in several domestic flights.

I'm a travel bag guy and have actually had one driver breakage, so...

Daves
9th March 2014, 09:53 PM
I have one you can borrow 3PPP. It is one of these;

http://www.underpar.com.au/index.php/products/bags/golf-tour/64/116

3Puttpete
9th March 2014, 10:05 PM

http://www.underpar.com.au/index.php/products/bags/golf-tour/64/116

I appreciate the offer Dave but if I decide I need one I think I'll get one for future use as well.

Looks like I might have a few trips to Melbourne over the next few years so it should get used.

Daves
9th March 2014, 10:08 PM
I appreciate the offer Dave but if I decide I need one I think I'll get one for future use as well.

Looks like I might have a few trips to Melbourne over the next few years so it should get used.

No worries.

I haven't use them, but hard to go past the value of these;

http://www.squizzysgolf.com.au/product.php?m=get&id=4516

Steve57
9th March 2014, 10:10 PM

http://www.underpar.com.au/index.php/products/bags/golf-tour/64/116 My wife and I have one of these each and last year when we went to the US they were absolutely brilliant. I picked ours up from Ebay for $50 each so keep your eyes out as they often come up.

markTHEblake
9th March 2014, 10:11 PM
How necessary is a travel bag? Do I need one or can I just take my chances with the hood on the cart bag?I travelled plenty of times without one long ago, BUT I see a few airlines now clearly state you must use one.

PeteyD
9th March 2014, 10:12 PM
I bought an Ogio straight jacket. Brilliant for travel with clubs, the thing is huge.

3Puttpete
9th March 2014, 10:13 PM
No worries.

I haven't use them, but hard to go past the value of these;

http://www.squizzysgolf.com.au/product.php?m=get&id=4516

"With the Datrek Travel Set all you have to worry about is your putting stroke!"

Smartarse :)

3Puttpete
9th March 2014, 10:15 PM
Thanks all for the input. Seems to be the way to go.

Lagerlover
9th March 2014, 10:27 PM
I have one of these..

http://www.clubglove.com/CG/ViewProdcss3XTRS.asp?ProductID=13

$50 off the bay. And bought a stiff arm for $15 at wolf creek..Very good quality bag.. you can use it whenever you want mate.

3Puttpete
9th March 2014, 11:00 PM
Ta. I'll buy one in the next couple of weeks

Captain Nemo
10th March 2014, 08:41 AM
I have one of these..

http://www.clubglove.com/CG/ViewProdcss3XTRS.asp?ProductID=13

$50 off the bay. And bought a stiff arm for $15 at wolf creek..Very good quality bag.. you can use it whenever you want mate.

Couple of guys at the TCC event on the weekend had these (or a variant)
Waz and i commented to each other how good they looked.

Lagerlover
10th March 2014, 09:04 AM
Couple of guys at the TCC event on the weekend had these (or a variant)
Waz and i commented to each other how good they looked.

Yep really well made. However I would recommend where possible, you take your bag and clubs in to make sure they fit the travel bag.
The "Burst" I have is very tight with a stand bag, definitely couldn't fit my E&B cart bag in.

If you like the club glove and want a bit of room with a larger bag, look at the "Last Bag 2".
http://www.clubglove.com/CG/ViewProdcss3XTRS.asp?ProductID=12

E&B do a nice coffin style bag too, with golfbox selling cheap with free postage..
http://www.golfbox.com.au/EaglesBirdies-EB-200-Travel-Cover_p_213133.html

Peppas
10th March 2014, 09:33 AM
Get a BMW travel bag, it is awesome :)

Lagerlover
10th March 2014, 09:36 AM
Get a BMW travel bag, it is awesome :)

Are you aware that you didn't actually need to buy the car?

Peppas
10th March 2014, 09:37 AM
Are you aware that you didn't actually need to buy the car?

You bought a jeep?

Lagerlover
10th March 2014, 09:48 AM
No but I did buy an Aston Martin, only to find I could've just went to DFO for their golf balls...

Peppas
10th March 2014, 09:54 AM
Hehe... I got my BMW golf travel bag off ebay.

I think Nudgee found a supplier for them as he wanted one so you can get them without buying the car definitely :) I think they are made by Ogio but I could be wrong...

markTHEblake
10th March 2014, 12:41 PM
That BMW would look great loading it into the 87 corolla.

Peppas
10th March 2014, 12:44 PM
That BMW would look great loading it into the 87 corolla.

It does