PDA

View Full Version : Handicap- Where to get 1 ?

Geordie-Lee
9th May 2013, 08:01 PM
Is there a way where i can get a handicap in Australia without being a member at a club ? And is it true the highest mens handicap over here is 36.4 ?
Cheers in advance Lee

markTHEblake
9th May 2013, 08:06 PM
No. . I am not sure if you can get an official handicap anywhere in the world without being a member of a club or an affiliated group.

Pencil
9th May 2013, 08:14 PM
We might be able to help more if you tell us where you are GL. Look up affiliated groups in your area.

Waddzy
9th May 2013, 08:14 PM
You need to have a base club for handicapping purposes but don't have to be a member , it's $99 to have one set it up .. Well at my club it is and you need 3 cards to get your first handicap and yes 36 is highest male handicap

goughy
9th May 2013, 08:16 PM
So, are there still groups over here that do hc's or not? Or is it strictly clubs now days?

graham_w
9th May 2013, 08:19 PM
I have a question sort of related - if you're a member at a club and have a handicap but choose not to renew your membership at the club, can you still play comps as a visitor and pay green fees and maintain your handicap or do you need to be a member at a club somewhere?

Geordie-Lee
9th May 2013, 08:30 PM
Cheers all, just travelling at the minute pencil, but in Darwin for a few more days. Will be trying to apply for a permanent visa at the end of the year and if it gets granted will be looking for a club. Is there a website over here to put in your golf scores ? in the uk they have a website called how did i do.

3Puttpete
9th May 2013, 08:36 PM
This?

http://www.gsmgolf.com.au/membership_handicaps.html

Geordie-Lee
9th May 2013, 09:02 PM
cheers pete, might have to look into that. What about a website to track your progress ?

Captain Nemo
9th May 2013, 09:03 PM
http://www.ausgolf.com.au/handicaps

markTHEblake
9th May 2013, 09:38 PM
I have a question sort of related - if you're a member at a club and have a handicap but choose not to renew your membership at the club, can you still play comps as a visitor and pay green fees and maintain your handicap or do you need to be a member at a club somewhere? A handicap is not free. Nearly $50 of any membership includes fees and insurance. If you don't pay your member ship you golf link record will reflect that status and you will be in eligible to play in any competition anywhere and have no right to be treated as a visitor.

Shortylook
9th May 2013, 11:38 PM
Try here if you think it might be ok for you mate. It's in Western Australia but.

Daves
10th May 2013, 05:39 AM
Golf Qld recently launched iGolf. $150 pa, but you can't have been a club member in the last 2 years;

http://igolfqld.com.au/

graham_w
10th May 2013, 06:49 AM
A handicap is not free. Nearly $50 of any membership includes fees and insurance. If you don't pay your member ship you golf link record will reflect that status and you will be in eligible to play in any competition anywhere and have no right to be treated as a visitor.

Fair enough too. I have a mate who thinks just because he has a golflink number he can play in comps even though he is not a member anywhere. I told him I didn't think that was right. Thanks for clarifying.

paulp
10th May 2013, 09:09 AM
I do something similar - I've been a memebr at my club since I was about 15. Now early 30s with an 18 monoth old so obviously not worth the $2k a year subs for a round a month. I've dropped back to a non playing membership which still keeps my golflink handicap active. I can still play in open comps and my club also lets me play in their comps paying the visitor rates. So it's a pretty good situation for me. Only pay $100 a year for non playing (incl bar tab) plus still have a hcap and can play in comps around the place.

sms316
10th May 2013, 09:14 AM
You could always hire a golflink number from Yoss.

BGH
10th May 2013, 10:14 AM
Cheers all, just travelling at the minute pencil, but in Darwin for a few more days. Will be trying to apply for a permanent visa at the end of the year and if it gets granted will be looking for a club. Is there a website over here to put in your golf scores ? in the uk they have a website called how did i do.

The handicapping system over here is slightly different to the UK and US. In Australia, social rounds can not be counted towards your handicap. Only club run competitions are used to calculate your handicap, and as such it is the club's responsibility to input the scores. Therefor there is no need to have a website/system for individuals to input their scores.

Lobsta
10th May 2013, 03:00 PM
To save Ben the trouble:

http://qaga.org.au/

You can join up with these guys for around $120 if memory serves. Gets you an agu handicap. Great blokes to play a round with too.

timah!
10th May 2013, 10:12 PM
Golf Qld recently launched iGolf.

Heaven help us all!

Lobsta
11th May 2013, 07:29 AM
Golf Qld recently launched iGolf.

Into the sun?

rubin
11th May 2013, 07:38 AM
Golf Qld recently launched iGolf. $150 pa, but you can't have been a club member in the last 2 years;

http://igolfqld.com.au/

Is that the one where they give u vending machines to service, and ur handicap is based on ur range time?

Paddy
11th May 2013, 07:56 AM
Hey 3 Puttpete, I have lived in Wa for over 30 years but as a kid Iuse to surf at Gunnamata and St Andrews with the only golf courses close by were Rosebud and Sorrento public which was a 12 hole course. Great memories.

3Puttpete
11th May 2013, 01:02 PM
Hey 3 Puttpete, I have lived in Wa for over 30 years but as a kid Iuse to surf at Gunnamata and St Andrews with the only golf courses close by were Rosebud and Sorrento public which was a 12 hole course. Great memories.

I'm in Brisbane and only found that with google but I'm glad I helped trigger the reminiscence.