PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Mug Profile - May 2013 - marktheblake

Courty
8th May 2013, 03:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/znGsSiC.png

Username: marktheblake

Home club: Helensvale - Gold Coast. Its the first club I have ever chosen to join, all the rest were simply the closest, or the only choice.

How often do you play: play once a week. practice once a week during pennant season.

Current handicap: 3.2

Lowest ever handicap: 3.2

Dream handicap: was 3.4 until two days ago. Its easier to go lower now, so I’ll revise that to 2.4 now.

How long have you played golf: 34 years, took less than 3 years to lose 27 shots, then 10 to lose another, then another 21 to lose the next one. The next one is going to be tough.

How did you catch the golfing bug: I heard my younger brother was going to the junior clinics on saturdays, and was doing well. It was either the thought that he might be better than me at something, or that he would inherit dads clubs (a very good golfer who had just retired) that motivated me to take it up, but just for the winter because it was too cold to go surfing. Didn't take long before I started to play every day, and I never surfed again.

What's currently in your bag: WITB thread (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/1945-marktheblake-s-WOMD)

What golf ball do you use: Srixon Z Star

Dream golfing purchase: The perfect golf bag, every one I use or look at just doesn't work. One day I might just have to design my own.

Favourite golf course played: Riverside GC in Jakarta, I was told Norman was on LSD when he designed it, and I can believe it. I need to get back there and settle a score with the 7th and 15th.

Dream golf destination, or trip: If money were no object, would have to have a crack at the UK, wouldnt we all. My wife is from Jakarta, and the golf courses are awesome around there, and inexpensive compared to here, I could retire there.

If you could pick three others, dead or alive, to play a round with, who would they be: Trevino, Ballesteros. I just loved watching these guys on the old Pro Celebity Golf with Peter Allis, and then Jean van de Velde. A bloke that can smile after being on the receiving end of the unluckiest bounce in golf is worth sharing some time with.

If you could pick three ozgolfers to play around with, who would they be: Julie, Flowergirl and Mandy because they are better lookin than the rest! (Perci is 1st reserve)

Your favourite golf memory: Never thought about it, two Foursomes and three Pennants are up there, team events are great because its the only time someone else cares about the win just as much as you.

Have you ever had a hole in one? If yes, talk us through it: Narrowly missed my first one on saturday by two shots. I am definitely due.

Have you ever had a “Solarman moment”? If yes, talk us through it: Had a Solarman in the middle of a DC68. Playing with 3 trainee pros, after a back to back birdies, I drop kicked my tee shot so badly the ball only just fell off the tee. They laughed. I then hit the driver off the deck and easily made my bogey 5. Beat two of them on the hole, and birdied the next, and beat them all easily on the day.

Favourite current tour player: None, not really interested in Tour golf, but I will go for Ben Crane just to be a contrarian.

Favourite golfer past or present? Why: Trevino, he his just awesome at shaping and controlling the ball. I learnt a lot by watching him play and understanding his approach to the game.

Favourite Australian golfer: Greg Norman. Couldn't stand the guy when he first started out but after he got Bob Twayed I found myself barracking for him, maybe it was the collingwood supporter in me.

popper81
8th May 2013, 05:12 PM
Good job, Blakey.... Congrats once again.

Lagerlover
8th May 2013, 05:18 PM
You come across so nice on the intergoogle.

Daves
8th May 2013, 05:22 PM
Why is Bruce pictured?

Webster
8th May 2013, 05:22 PM
Thats a picture of Bruce, not Blake.

markTHEblake
8th May 2013, 05:29 PM
Same colour hair, same glasses, same moe, same uncanny good looks,
that explains why complete strangers were abusing me last time i went to melbourne, and Bruce gets mobbed by hot meter maids when he came to GC.

Jarro
8th May 2013, 05:36 PM
Off 3 these days ...... nice.

WBennett
8th May 2013, 07:33 PM
Are you blokes taking the piss. That IS a photo of Brucie isn't it?

Lucasto23
8th May 2013, 08:16 PM
nice work blakey, you should always post this way.

markTHEblake
8th May 2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks lager, I am looking forward to you being the mug of the month soon.

timah!
8th May 2013, 10:23 PM
Are you blokes taking the piss. That IS a photo of Brucie isn't it?

Yes and yes. :D