PDA

View Full Version : R1vs cobra amp pro

tyrob
30th April 2013, 04:47 PM
Anyone had a hit with both of these ... Had a hit with amp pro on sat and it was great straight and long , have not hit r1 yet so was just wondering if anybody has hit them side by side..thoughts ... Cherrs

Foburger
2nd May 2013, 06:20 PM
Have hit them both, pretty extensively. Actually had a major drama picking a new big chief this year. Came from a 910 D3, stuck with the same shaft.

My basic break down on most drivers this year is as follows (my opinion only):

Cobra: To me was, well, a cobra driver, seemed to sound ok, fly ok and was generally pretty forgiving. Didn't do anything special, also not a wonderful shape.
G25: Massive footprint, which is tough to get past. Spins plenty but that's what it's designed to do. I'm sure in the right set up this thing would be a beast.
ANSER: Brilliant, great sound, great shape, really good numbers. Why didn't I buy it? It just didn't go as far as some others, not even my 910.
RBZ 2.0: Shapes solid, sounds not. And overall weight of the stick is wrong. Didn't hit the tour version which is the same shape but different internally (less spin/launch)
R1: Big TM hater,wouldn't have looked at R11 or R11s, but this thing is amazing. I can only imagine how good the tor issue drivers would be, if only TM would make an effort for joe average. Ball speed for me was the highest I've ever achieved, launch can be tuned, shapes not bad + you can change the face angle easily. Honestly, I don't know how it can get better and as I said I cannot stand taylormade. Mizuno headcover.

Obviously everyone is different but for me the R1 is the best out there. I'll try and buy a cheap R1 V2 but that could be months. Side note, XCG6 is probably the second best driver I've ever hit, but for me it just went right.

TheNuclearOne
2nd May 2013, 09:37 PM
Interesting that you didn't like the Cobra's shape or the G25 footprint but have no trouble with a TM paint job so many whining about. I don't think it would worry me either tbh.

Did you hit the Cobra Amp Cell Pro?

You've got me interested in the R1 now. How did the Xtreme go? I don't think you'd have hit the Super LS yet. Coveret Tour might be interesting too.

JADO75
2nd May 2013, 10:09 PM
Just got back from the range a little while ago having a hit with Dangals who wanted to hit my R1, I think I've converted him from the Xtreme.
I first time I used my R1 in a comp I truly didn't notice the graphics which I know is pretty hard to believe as they are pretty in your face. I used to play an Xtreme but won't be any longer as for me it just doesn't measure up to what the R1 can do. Certainly not ragging on the Xtreme but the R1/Devotion combo is giving me the best of both worlds at the moment, plenty of carry & plenty of roll out when it lands. It also gives you the opportunity to play it at a lower loft & hit some stingers. I've tried & played 4 million different shafts in three different lofted heads in the Xtreme & have had great results but the good one's with the R1 are great & the bad one's are still pretty bloody good. With the Xtreme the good one's were great too but the bad were poo! Honeymoon period with the R1 maybe but when that happens I'll just strap another shaft in & fall in love again.

TheNuclearOne
2nd May 2013, 10:11 PM
Sounds like the search is over!

JADO75
2nd May 2013, 11:08 PM
For a week or so hopefully, the x hot pro is a beauty too. Dangals was smashing the R1 tonight, graphics didn't seem to put him off either

Dangals
2nd May 2013, 11:28 PM
Gotta admit I am a little surprised at how good the r1 felt - I had probably talked myself out of it previously but damn that thing flies - and jado is so right about the miss hits still being good which is something I have also noticed with the xtreme.... Playing sat/sun which will be crunch time for my xtreme I think

tyrob
3rd May 2013, 05:40 AM
Thanks boys looks like I'm off to Drummond today to hit a r1

Ferrins
3rd May 2013, 05:59 AM
I actually Googled R1vs thinking it was a new Cobra model.

mrbluu
3rd May 2013, 09:40 AM
Just got back from the range a little while ago having a hit with Dangals who wanted to hit my R1, I think I've converted him from the Xtreme.
I first time I used my R1 in a comp I truly didn't notice the graphics which I know is pretty hard to believe as they are pretty in your face. I used to play an Xtreme but won't be any longer as for me it just doesn't measure up to what the R1 can do. Certainly not ragging on the Xtreme but the R1/Devotion combo is giving me the best of both worlds at the moment, plenty of carry & plenty of roll out when it lands. It also gives you the opportunity to play it at a lower loft & hit some stingers. I've tried & played 4 million different shafts in three different lofted heads in the Xtreme & have had great results but the good one's with the R1 are great & the bad one's are still pretty bloody good. With the Xtreme the good one's were great too but the bad were poo! Honeymoon period with the R1 maybe but when that happens I'll just strap another shaft in & fall in love again.

Where was my invite to the range :-(

TheNuclearOne
3rd May 2013, 10:19 AM
I think you've got me Jado lol.

In return don't be afraid to demo the X-Hot Pro and 3Deep. The Pro is awesome off the deck. The 3Deep is scorching off the tee and many are hitting it ok off the deck. I seem to remember you had no problem with the bigger deeper RBZ and preferred it over the tour. In that case the 3Deep would be a must try. The 14.5* goes higher than i expected off the tee but is low spin and just keeps going. The 13* would be an absolute monster off the tee.

TheNuclearOne
3rd May 2013, 10:32 AM
http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/golf-clubs/fairway-woods/x-hot-3deep-fairway-woods.html

KristianJ
3rd May 2013, 10:52 AM
On teh subject of TNO's post:

http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-au/special-offers/30-day-woods-guarantee.html

Jado, when I was last at Drummond they had a Cally rep in and he mentioned something about it.

TheNuclearOne
3rd May 2013, 12:36 PM
I actually went into a golf store for the first time in years just now. Slipped into Drummonds as i wanted to see in hand how some clubs looked. R 1 looked great, Stage 2 driver good as well. X Hot Pro driver looked decent, Stage 2 FW noice as well. G25 driver sat open and had a huge footprint tho that prolly wouldn't worry me. Particularly wanted to see the X Hot Pro irons which i did. No Mizzy's unfortunately as i wanted to check them out as well in the 825's.

Foburger
3rd May 2013, 02:07 PM
Interesting that you didn't like the Cobra's shape or the G25 footprint but have no trouble with a TM paint job so many whining about. I don't think it would worry me either tbh.

Did you hit the Cobra Amp Cell Pro?

You've got me interested in the R1 now. How did the Xtreme go? I don't think you'd have hit the Super LS yet. Coveret Tour might be interesting too.

You honestly cannot notice the paint; if someone is saying they notice it, they probably havn't hit it.
I havn't hit the pro version so can't comment, imagine the shapes a touch better though.
Super LS is right up there, only hit it recently but could seriously consider a switch to that. Currently hitting an RBZ std head.
Covert for mine was awful. Good sound, great look, can get it to sit well with the neck design, but honestly goes nowhere.

It may be a stock shaft issue, but, in all honesty these days these heads all go the same distance, advertising or not. I won't be upgrading even though I demo'd an R1 for a few weeks. The difference between all these drivers when fitted correctly for me would be 10 yds first to last. Find one that you like the shape of and stick with it. Look at Snedeker.

For mine the R1 is still the pick of the bunch this year, but LS will have some of my attention soon.

TheNuclearOne
3rd May 2013, 02:36 PM
Cheers Foho!!!

The Pro version is lower spin etc, i'm sure you'd like it. Noice feel too. Wouldn't mind hitting the Super LS. I found the standard RBZ a bit shallow and spinny. Not a bad head tho.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, did you hit the Covert in the Pro version?

The paint on the R1 wouldn't worry me, not much does along those lines. It's on the shopping list. I've been a little disappointed with recent TM drivers so we'll see what it brings to the table.

muldude
3rd May 2013, 03:02 PM
damn you people............now i'm longing for a R1, the razr wouldn't be 12 months old.

TheNuclearOne
3rd May 2013, 03:39 PM
damn you people............now i'm longing for a R1, the razr wouldn't be 12 months old.

I can't believe you've gamed the same driver for near 12 months :lol:

muldude
3rd May 2013, 04:31 PM
I can't believe you've gamed the same driver for near 12 months :lol:

Haha, I have no chance with you mob :-)

perci
15th May 2013, 07:11 PM
Lovin the R1 TD2 with AD DJ-6s ,cranked to 11* launches high and just keeps going, looks good,feels and sounds solid for a 420cc Driver ,Should last weeks!

JADO75
15th May 2013, 07:27 PM
Lovin the R1 TD2 with AD DJ-6s ,cranked to 11* launches high and just keeps going, looks good,feels and sounds solid for a 420cc Driver ,Should last weeks!

Dibs haha