PDA

View Full Version : My ironplay sucks

gazgolf1
25th June 2004, 04:40 PM
Today at Nudgee I hit one good iron shot,a 5 iron to about 20ft and drained the bird putt.
Other than that I missed a green with a nine iron,had a snowman on a par 5 and came up short too many times to mention,very frustrating.
I hit the driver really well and made a couple of putts late in the round.
Could it be that I'm not good enough to play blades.........probably. :cry:
Anybody wanna buy a set of MP-33's ?
Maybe I should get a set of Callaway shovels.

terryand
25th June 2004, 04:46 PM
Who care how you hit your irons Gaz when you smoke your driver like you did today.Got to admit hittin driver like that makes the other pill a little easier to swallow :wink:

Terry.

Jarro
25th June 2004, 04:49 PM
stick with the MP-33's Gaz, you're too old to change now :P :wink:

so just because you had a bad day there today, does that mean you're not gonna join Nudgee G.C now :?:

gazgolf1
25th June 2004, 04:53 PM

so just because you had a bad day there today, does that mean you're not gonna join Nudgee G.C now :?:

Picked up an application form while I was there today. :wink:

AndyP
25th June 2004, 05:01 PM
Gaz, just build your game around your driver and putter. You'll be right. Who needs irons? :wink:

terryand
25th June 2004, 05:05 PM
Gaz, just build your game around your driver and putter. You'll be right. Who needs irons? :wink:

And they where both working a treat today \:D/ :smt112

Terry.

Jarro
25th June 2004, 05:09 PM

Picked up an application form while I was there today. :wink:

way to go mate :)

we'll have to hook up for a hit in some comps soon.

Last thursday of every month is the Pro-shop back marker day, play off the very back tees with really tough pin positions :wink:

jaster
25th June 2004, 06:01 PM
There have been a lot of short hitters in golf who have done well, yet each week...week after week the person who hit's the most greens on tour is usually in the top 10. What does this tell you?

Get a set of shovels...I can see a set of PINGs on my horizon ;) Keep the Mp33s and trial them against the more forgiving set....this way you will be sure you are making the right decision :)

The otherside of it is how many balls do you hit each week with 7iron and under? If less than 100 then you need to dump the blades ;)

Any questions?

Jaster

Golfgirl
25th June 2004, 06:22 PM

Not me..... my whole game consists of fairway wood after fairway wood.... :oops: :?

Seriously Gaz, try a more forgiving set of irons and see what you think. Blades are notoriously difficult, even for good golfers such as yourself, so give yourself a break... :wink:

jaster
25th June 2004, 06:26 PM
Great reply GG...

GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK 8) love it :)

Jarro
25th June 2004, 06:27 PM
why not a nice set of combos Gaz 8)

gazgolf1
25th June 2004, 06:28 PM
thanks guys and girls. :D

Yeah maybe some shovels are the go,just a cheapy set like some Adams GT's,not really shovels but a bit more forgiving than the MP-33's.
Ahh the possibilties are endless. :wink:

Golfgirl
25th June 2004, 06:33 PM
Ahh the possibilties are endless.

Aaahhh.... the ho-ing that could go on.... :lol: 8)

jaster
25th June 2004, 06:34 PM
Hit the Adams GTs with steel/graphite and graphite tip on the weekend :( Was very disappointed.

Get a set of PINGs mate....i3 blades ;)

Iain
25th June 2004, 06:50 PM
Two words for you Gaz

Combo Set.... :smt023

jaster
25th June 2004, 07:05 PM
I think a combo set has it's merits :)

Jarro
25th June 2004, 07:10 PM
I think a combo set has it's merits :)

thanks Jaster 8)

golfer69 .......... shudup :x :wink:

jaster
25th June 2004, 07:11 PM
I agree with jarro...shaddup ;)

jaster
25th June 2004, 07:21 PM
Not sure who that homo you mentioned is but that does not make sense :? :P

Gaz is not the one living in denial, he is being realisitic about his game...thinking that the set of clubs you are currently using is perfect for your swing if you have never had a proper fitting is a serious problem!!!
The first step in any program is being honest with yourself :D :lol:

jaster
25th June 2004, 07:42 PM
I'm talking about you :roll: :lol: :wink:

Golfgirl
25th June 2004, 08:06 PM
Repeat after me..."NEW CLUBS DON'T CREATE A BETTER SWING" !

So there, thats my alcohol induced rant for the evening.

Bottoms up...... :lol: :lol:

gazgolf1
25th June 2004, 08:34 PM
I'd be very surprised if King-Ho Gaz does now have a proper fitted set of sticks.

Actually I bought these irons in August last year and only found out a couple of weeks ago that they are a half inch longer than standard and 2 degrees upright so maybe G69 has a point. :?

jaster
25th June 2004, 08:36 PM
LOL :roll: Get some PINGs 8)

terryand
25th June 2004, 08:48 PM
Gaz,I think you might just be having a few little swing issues that will work themselves out.

Plus you have alot on your mind with leaving your club and finding another.This can't help with the mindset.

i've played with you when you where just flushing the 33's...you where swinging it great and they where coming out great.

Maybe a solution would be to get a cheap set of shovels or combo's to use while your swing is not quite there,to rebuild the swing and confidence.Cause like you I know when your swinging it bad with a set of blades,there seems no way out,and certainly hard to rebuild the confidence with the blades.

Get the clubs and you looked at by Chris,to work out exactly what they need to be for you.I can't stress enough, how important it is having the clubs suited to you.

You have to be very lucky to buy a set of clubs off the rack, or from the net that will be suited to you, It can happen but its rare.

So don't do the knee jerk reaction just yet,cause when you start swinging it great again with the shovels,you will be pining after your lost 33's.

Terry.

AndyP
26th June 2004, 07:26 AM
Or you could buy several sets of clubs to suit your game at any particular time. :|

Jarro
26th June 2004, 08:04 AM
Or you could buy several sets of clubs to suit your game at any particular time. :|

now that's just being silly :roll:

stick with the 33's Gaz :wink: but get a new driver :lol:

AndyP
26th June 2004, 09:08 AM
So Tezza....how does it feel to agree with me.....you're gone mate ! :wink:
It's gotta hurt, doesn't it?

Golfgirl
26th June 2004, 10:28 AM
golfer69 wrote:
So Tezza....how does it feel to agree with me.....you're gone mate !

It's gotta hurt, doesn't it?

Yeah.... agreeing with the anti-ho of Ozgolf.... Ouch!! :roll: :lol: :lol:

macleod
26th June 2004, 10:48 AM
meh, i'll wade into this one.

as per Tez, just go get them adjusted first thing. how much will you lose on re-hoing them? if it's more than the requisition cost plus fitted cost then it's not worth it. (remember the horror of postage costs....;))

is that chris mckenna?

i can point you to a set of rifles for $225 new, sell the pullouts, closing the gap of cost! your bagset doesn't require anything more than 5-pw does it? even cheaper then if u just reshaft only the irons you will use.

wanna buy some project x 5.5's? ;)

McMw
26th June 2004, 12:20 PM
2 days ago - 6 girs in 9...
yesterday - 3 girs in 9...
this morning - 6 girs in 9...

got another 18 this arvo...

take 1 more club - choke down an inch, and swing agressive!!! :D

terryand
26th June 2004, 12:42 PM
So Tezza....how does it feel to agree with me.....you're gone mate ! :wink:

G69,if agreeing with you helps Gaz out then I agree with you.I would actually like to look at it this way...you are agreeing with me :wink:

Don't talk to me about hoing G69,.I'm on my 2nd set of irons in 12 years and the current set is only 6 months old.So if my maths is right,add 1 carry the 2 plus 1/2 that makes the last set in the bag for 11 1/2 years,is this the form of a ho :?:

We just won't talk about drivers though :wink:

Plus I can't see any problem with agreeing with you every now and then,you can be quiet a knowledgeable fellow on occasion :smt082 :smt043 :smt044 :smt081

Terry.

Golfgirl
26th June 2004, 04:21 PM
Plus I can't see any problem with agreeing with you every now and then,you can be quiet a knowledgeable fellow on occasion

:lol: :lol: :lol:

gazgolf1
26th June 2004, 04:39 PM
Well the washup is that I had a better game today at Middle Ridge hitting some nice irons and the good driving continued.
I took out a demo Cally X-16 pro series 6 iron and hit some nice shots with it and came to the realization that the Sonartec NP-99 3 wood is the finest piece of golf equipment engineering in the known universe. 8)
Other than that my partner and I had 45 pts in a fourball stableford with my mate holing a 3 wood from 200+ metres for a 5 pointer. :shock:
I appreciate all the advice from all you Ozgolfers and good luck for the game at Indro tomorrow to everyone thats playing.
Careful with the socks. :wink:

terryand
26th June 2004, 04:49 PM
Other than that my partner and I had 45 pts in a fourball stableford with my mate holing a 3 wood from 200+ metres for a 5 pointer. :shock:

Was it for an alby?

Terry.

jaster
26th June 2004, 04:56 PM
Well the washup is that I had a better game today at Middle Ridge

???? Your not telling me you were in Toowoomba and didn't tell the Toowoomba boys?? :( :cry: :smt086 :smt102

goughy
26th June 2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah gaz, what gives :-k

jaster
26th June 2004, 06:01 PM
I think it's a sign goughy :(

gazgolf1
26th June 2004, 08:45 PM
Sorry boys,
I gotta mate who's a member at MR and he invited us up,we played and pissed off basically.
Time poor. :?

jaster
26th June 2004, 09:51 PM
No worries mate :)

Get i3 blades over X16 PSs...trust me ;)

McMw
27th June 2004, 02:30 PM
jaster - what's Ogilvy's involvelment in that avatar???

isit a TM ad???

goughy
27th June 2004, 07:51 PM
Just thought I should add,

My ironplay sux, my driving sux, my chipping sux and my putting sux. I think I need a whole new thread for this one :D

jaster
27th June 2004, 08:09 PM
jaster - what's Ogilvy's involvelment in that avatar???

isit a TM ad???

Ogilvy has a superb swing and that I stole the words off the Adidas golf website and added his pic. Looks cool 'eh? :)

Jarro
27th June 2004, 08:14 PM
nice work Jaster 8)

McMw
28th June 2004, 08:35 AM
Ogilvy has a superb swing and that I stole the words off the Adidas golf website and added his pic. Looks cool 'eh? :)

sure does look great!!! :D

still patiently waiting for Ogilvy to win one....ANYWHERE!!! :roll:

BrisVegas
28th June 2004, 09:19 AM
No worries mate :)

Get i3 blades over X16 PSs...trust me ;)

I'm with Jaster on this one. The Ping i3 are as good as you can get for that style of club. I have a (scratch hcap) mate who swears by them. This is his 3rd set of Pings since "seeing the light" a few years back. I've hit em and they go great, they're just a little weird looking as they sit in your bag.

Callaway X16.... nah, don't rate em at all. Just my $0.02 though.

Good luck with your choice.

nudgee
28th June 2004, 09:40 AM
Gaz,

I am obviously late on this thread but I will back what Terry says - and this may be ironic coming from me but dont spend any money on a new set - just take the set to Chris and spend some time on the monitor there and get him to tweak the MP33s to your needs - this will be the best money you will ever spend. I have hit the MP33s and they are IMHO one of if not the best blade out there at the moment (please people before you reply to this comment please note the IMHO statement!!).

I have seen you swing the MP33s purely so its just a rut you are going through at the moment - I am guessing that the rut started when you found out the irons were 0.5" longer than standard and 2* upright - maybe your problem is in your head thinking that the set is not right for you now.

If you do decide to ho a new set - I am against Brisvegas and jaster on this one (sorry boys) but the Callaway X-16PS are a better and more forgiving club than the Pings once again IMHGO - and I have played a set of X-16 Pro Series for 4 months before going to my first set of 690 mbs.

BTW Gaz I have a great set of Snake Eyes 600 CBs with S200 for sale for peanuts if you wanna go to a forgiving set - for you good price!! :wink: (sorry couldnt help the plug)

McMw
28th June 2004, 09:54 AM
practice the shortgame - takes pressure off the iron play (slightly)... :wink:

I'll go with the pings too... :mrgreen:

markTHEblake
28th June 2004, 03:15 PM
Dont listen to Jarro, he doesnt even know what thread he is in.

As every equipment Ho should know, its the shafts (and the relative fitting) that make all the difference. doesnt matter what heads you have on the end at all.

Keep those magnificent MP33 heads and get em fitted properly and you will feel like you just tried on a brand new suit. Go for it.

jaster
28th June 2004, 04:42 PM
practice the shortgame - takes pressure off the iron play (slightly)... :wink:

I'll go with the pings too... :mrgreen:

That is very good advice on both accounts, good putters are good chippers as there is less pressure which makes for less pressure on iron play as you are not afraid to attack :)

Pings rule ;)

McMw
28th June 2004, 04:57 PM
I'm seeing the benefit of all those chipping practice (slowly)...

yesterday, I chipped in twice for birds, saved par (up/down) 6 times (tho the first hole was a mid-long range putt which I wasn't expecting)...
and failed to get up/down once from close range - the other 2 misses were from way out!!! :oops:
1/3 from bunkers

yikes - looking thru those stats, my iron play sux!!! 4 girs only... :x :roll: :oops:

jaster
28th June 2004, 05:03 PM
4 greens for 9 is alright if you chip in twice...for 18 it's not very good though :(

I hit 13 yesterday :P

gazgolf1
28th June 2004, 05:03 PM
Good advice boys, thanks. :D

McMw
28th June 2004, 05:20 PM
4girs from 9 f/ws is depressing...

I need hacksticks and a new driver...

I have the driver on the way... :wink:

Golfgirl
29th June 2004, 02:02 PM
yesterday, I chipped in twice for birds, saved par (up/down) 6 times

maybe I should try some of that practice stuff that you were talking about, Mau??? :?

Jarro
7th July 2004, 01:42 PM
so what'd you end up doing Gaz :?:

did you keep the MP-33's....... :?

jaster
7th July 2004, 03:50 PM
Yeah what happened?

gazgolf1
9th July 2004, 08:20 PM
Yeah what happened?

In the process of buying some X-16 pros. 8)

jaster
9th July 2004, 08:27 PM
Yeah what happened?

In the process of buying some X-16 pros. 8) :smt061 :smt078

Jarro
9th July 2004, 08:32 PM
Yeah what happened?

so what else did you try out Gaz :?:

was it a tough decision to go with the X-16's :?

gazgolf1
9th July 2004, 08:50 PM
Yeah what happened?

so what else did you try out Gaz :?:

was it a tough decision to go with the X-16's :?

Not really because at the price I'm paying I know I can make some cash if I don't like em.
I hit some Adams GT ultimates today (the ones with the graphite/steel shaft) and they felt pretty nice.

jaster
9th July 2004, 08:58 PM
i3 blades or S59s mate ;) VIVA the PING revolution 8)

McMw
9th July 2004, 09:58 PM
jaster - which i3s better??? the original or the plus???

jaster
10th July 2004, 08:46 AM
I have heard that the original i3s are better than the newer one's, I have not tried the new i3+ blades or the old ones but I have tried the i3 Osize and i3+ and they are both superb!! Would love to try the blade version, great club 8)

McMw
10th July 2004, 12:03 PM
well...then you're no use then!!! :lol:

I'm prob leaning towards the original i3blade then...if they're still available new locally... :roll:

I had a decent look at the s59s...don't think I'll go down that line... :oops:

terryand
10th July 2004, 12:06 PM

I'm prob leaning towards the original i3blade then...if they're still available new locally... :roll:

How come Mau.....size?...shape?...look?

Terry.

McMw
10th July 2004, 12:09 PM
size more likely...
I'm not sure...

when I had a look at it on wednesday, my confidence was shot (why wouldn't it be after a 87/80/82 w/end)...

gazgolf1
10th July 2004, 12:28 PM

Ping Schming :wink:

jaster
10th July 2004, 04:24 PM

Did you have a hit of the S59s?

jaster
10th July 2004, 04:34 PM

Ping Schming :wink:

The longer you hold out the worse it gets :smt090

McMw
10th July 2004, 07:53 PM

Did you have a hit of the S59s?

nope...didn't think I could handle them...so didn't even bother...

jaster
10th July 2004, 08:39 PM
Why not mate? They look more forgivning than a normal blade?

McMw
10th July 2004, 09:27 PM
Why not mate? They look more forgivning than a normal blade?

they looked the same to me....it looks TINY against the AEPs... :shock:

jaster
10th July 2004, 09:32 PM
Those AEPs are big ass clubs ;)

McMw
10th July 2004, 09:34 PM
yeh...I know...for dum-ass-hackers!!! :wink:

jaster
10th July 2004, 09:42 PM
Yeah but one who has had a HOLE IN ONE!! 8) :wink:

990B Luva
12th July 2004, 02:28 PM
Mau, Jaster the original i3 blades are sweet, i have a mate who has a set :smt055 but alas jaster he is a righty

Iain
12th July 2004, 02:53 PM
I'll take my RAC CB's anyday.... 8)

990B Luva
12th July 2004, 02:55 PM
dont you have the RAC TPs any more Iain?

Iain
12th July 2004, 03:05 PM
dont you have the RAC TPs any more Iain?

Nope, a mate from work needed a new set of irons, he liked my set, so bought them off me when I got the CB's. \:D/

These provide just that little bit more forgiveness that I need.... =D>

They are a sweet iron. :smt055

jaster
12th July 2004, 03:09 PM
What shaft Iain?

990bluva - have you hit the i3s? They are nice :)

Iain
12th July 2004, 03:21 PM
DGS300's 1/4 inch Overlength, which is a 38" 5 iron. I'll do a reveiw up in the Equip forum. They must have been ordered overlength as they have the TP stickers on the shafts.

jaster
12th July 2004, 03:28 PM
Sweet mate...you keep them as they are until you get down to A Grade (you have the talent)...then I'll let you change ;) :lol:

McMw
12th July 2004, 04:05 PM
shop across the border didn't have any ping irons for me to look at... :(
said they would have to custom order, which I thought was ironic, seeing as how they have nothing to customize me with...

saw the NV shaft in the 983K...YUMMY!!! :lol:

Iain
12th July 2004, 04:17 PM
Sweet mate...you keep them as they are until you get down to A Grade (you have the talent)...then I'll let you change ;) :lol:

Mate, these won't be going anywhere, I know I said that about the combos, but these are basically the same iron (Just the CB in the short irons and Miura forged).

Thanks Jaster

Iain

990B Luva
12th July 2004, 05:28 PM
What shaft Iain?

990bluva - have you hit the i3s? They are nice :)
they are SWEET and yes i have hit his i3 Blades, they have the standard PING JZ Stiff shafts but i find that the feel of them surpasses any club that i have it before, including the 300 Forged irons

Jarro
12th July 2004, 05:58 PM
i find that the feel of them surpasses any club that i have it before, including the 300 Forged irons

hey thats a big call 990B Luva :shock:

those 300 forged irons are really smooth :wink:

990B Luva
12th July 2004, 06:06 PM
i find that the feel of them surpasses any club that i have it before, including the 300 Forged irons

hey thats a big call 990B Luva :shock:

those 300 forged irons are really smooth :wink:
NOTE:
i find

jaster
12th July 2004, 06:09 PM
Does your friends i3s have the CUSHIN INSERT? My O-size had this insert and the feel was just butter 8)

990B Luva
12th July 2004, 06:12 PM
yup they have the Cushin insert