PDA

View Full Version : Lexus Cup score processing

Dingo
25th April 2013, 11:37 AM
I entered the Lexus Cup in the remote hope of winning a car. The leading scores are so high that I can't compete, but the web site provides interesting statistics about the average score for the field each time you play and the spread of scores.

As those who are participating will know, all scores are converted to stableford. As expected, when playing at my home club (Cairns), a stroke round of nett 76 against par 72 was converted to 32 stableford points. Recently I played in a stroke competition at another club (Mareeba). Much to my surprise my rounds of 73 nett and 71 nett against par 72 was converted to 33 points and 35 points respectively.

I emailed the Lexus Cup with no response and then emailed golflink. Even more to my surprise, golflink told me that the ACR had to be taken into account when converting stroke scores to stableford. After a couple of emails, I sent through this example:

Take a hypothetical course with par 72 and ACR 65.

Let’s take a hypothetical scratch marker.

Day 1: scores 18 straight pars in a stableford comp
Day 2: scores 18 straight pars in a stroke comp

Golflink will record both scores as being the same “played to” score (7) on each day. This is correct.

Lexus Cup on the other hand will display 36 points for day 1 and 29 points on day 2. This is incorrect.

I expected this to persuade golflink of the processing error on the Lexus Cup. Alas, no.

Here is the relevant part of the golflink response:

As an example, if a player off scratch plays to a par of 72 (even on the day) but the ACR is 70, the “played to” value will show as 2 in their handicap history. If the score is worked as stable ford playing to par of 72 (36 points on the day) and the ACR is 70 the “played to” again will show 2. When it comes to displaying the Lexus points, a stable ford comp will show the points as scored so that score would be 36. If it was stroke competition submitted as net 72, this score would show as 34 points as the score, worked out backwards from the “played to” value would be 2 less as it has taken into consideration the ACR of 2 less than par.

Is anybody else surprised by any of the above? Does anybody know anybody in a position of influence who might understand the problem?

mike
25th April 2013, 07:27 PM
I had no idea what the Lexus cup was so I read up on it. Sounds like a cheatathon. To answer your question, yeah it does seem weird. Best to play your best golf in stableford comps and throw out the anchor in stroke.

3Puttpete
25th April 2013, 07:33 PM
I've got two $75 vouchers for the Golflink wine club from this. I don't know if they're transferable but if anyone wants them they can have them.

IanO
25th April 2013, 11:32 PM
I won one of those vouchers and it seemed very hard to cash in without spending a fair but extra

Johnny Canuck
26th April 2013, 12:08 AM
I won one of those vouchers and it seemed very hard to cash in without spending a fair but extra

I won one the other week and was wondering if that would be the catch.

Dotty
26th April 2013, 07:02 AM
Ditto. You get to spend another $75 for a case of wine that you wouldn't pay $60 for at Dan Murphy's.

CobraSS
26th April 2013, 09:41 AM
Ditto. You get to spend another $75 for a case of wine that you wouldn't pay $60 for at Dan Murphy's.

Exactly, they aren't prizes at all , they are just a hook, to get you to spend money on something that you wouldn't otherwise buy............

Captain Nemo
26th April 2013, 12:09 PM
I've got two $75 vouchers for the Golflink wine club from this. I don't know if they're transferable but if anyone wants them they can have them. Ditto, but worthless IMO...

Rodent
10th May 2013, 04:47 PM
How's the bandit who is leading?

ADRIAN FLEMING of Cape Schanck GC
54 points (f### off idiot), a week later 46 pts, then 38, 31, 41 and 43. Of course he's in C grade. The 31 pts was at his home course and all the others were at Riverview.

mike
10th May 2013, 05:37 PM
And you're surprised? Such a format is bound to bring out the bandits.

3Puttpete
10th May 2013, 06:00 PM
I'd like to see his GL for the 6 months before and after the Lexus cup

Dingo
10th May 2013, 06:38 PM
How's the bandit who is leading?

ADRIAN FLEMING of Cape Schanck GC
54 points (f### off idiot), a week later 46 pts, then 38, 31, 41 and 43. Of course he's in C grade. The 31 pts was at his home course and all the others were at Riverview.

I would have thought there would be a few "riverview" golf clubs.

The first google result is a club which plays at Ivanhoe public course near Melbourne. They publish their results, but did not have competitions on the days Adrian Fleming scored 54 and 46 points, so presumably that can't be the Riverview he plays at.

The only other google result is a club in WA.

I wonder where the Riverview is that Andrew Fleming plays at, and how his clubmates feel about his 54 stableford points.

peter_rs
10th May 2013, 07:51 PM
Call the club columbo

Shortylook
10th May 2013, 09:44 PM
Yea I thought I was in for a prize with a 40 and a 45 for my week, but I got nothing ha ha. It was pretty cool seeing my name in the who's hot section but

Pirelli
7th September 2013, 06:41 PM
Just got an email that I won an xhot driver and a pair of tag heuer sunnies. A slight improvement on those wine vouchers they hand out every week!

3Puttpete
7th September 2013, 07:11 PM
Just got an email that I won an xhot driver and a pair of tag heuer sunnies. A slight improvement on those wine vouchers they hand out every week!

Well played. Wanna sell the driver for a couple of wine vouchers?

Pirelli
7th September 2013, 07:31 PM
Well played. Wanna sell the driver for a couple of wine vouchers?

Wine vouchers, no, but look out for it in the for sale forum!

GuyIncognito
8th September 2013, 12:04 AM
fifty four points... christ...

Hatchman
8th September 2013, 12:14 AM

Well done.

Hatchman
8th September 2013, 12:17 AM
fifty four points... christ...

A score like that gets the eye brows raised but to follow up with others in the mid forties just screams out magic pencil.

Hatchman
27th April 2014, 01:12 PM
A heap of big stableford point rounds in such a short space here.
58 points FFS.

Sydney Hacker
27th April 2014, 01:15 PM
Wtf!

live4golf
27th April 2014, 01:18 PM
A heap of big stableford point rounds in such a short space here.
58 points FFS.

What are you implying? - I've seen 58 points win before...in a 4BBB...with tees well forward...easy pins...and mulligans.

It's a ****ing joke!

BenM
27th April 2014, 01:37 PM
I sense shenanigans.

3Puttpete
27th April 2014, 01:46 PM
Another bloke had 44 and 49 points at that club in March too. Seems to be waxing with big Jim

Hatchman
27th April 2014, 01:51 PM
Another bloke had 44 and 49 points at that club in March too. Seems to be waxing with big Jim

Same group, marking each others cards?

Hatchman
27th April 2014, 01:53 PM
What are you implying? - I've seen 58 points win before...in a 4BBB...with tees well forward...easy pins...and mulligans.

It's a ****ing joke!

It's beyond a joke when 3 points a hole is 54pts.

3Puttpete
27th April 2014, 01:55 PM
Same group, marking each others cards?

Can't tell but probably not. It looks like Ed gets the scores when Jim doesn't.

http://www.exservos.com.au/mensgolf.html

live4golf
27th April 2014, 02:16 PM
Seems fitting that the club's honour board is blank...

http://www.exservos.com.au/honourboard.html

mike
27th April 2014, 02:19 PM
So what. Someone has fudged his handicap enough to win some glory. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Get over it people.

Hatchman
27th April 2014, 02:31 PM
Old Jim scores more then 50% of the teams total score.

markTHEblake
27th April 2014, 03:01 PM
So what. Someone has fudged his handicap enough to win some glory. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Get over it people.^^ like this.

Worry about your own game not someone else's.

JADO75
27th April 2014, 03:21 PM
Do you blokes saying get over it condone cheating?

mike
27th April 2014, 08:18 PM
Jado what did you expect from a competition like this? It was always going to be won by a scummy sandbagger with no scruples.

I hate this format. An honest golfer can't possibly win it.

markTHEblake
27th April 2014, 08:25 PM
Do you blokes saying get over it condone cheating?

You don't appear to be doing anything about this assumed cheat. So referring to your question then it can be logically deduced that you condone cheating also :-)

There is nothing anyone here can do about it, except to whine.

golfbound
27th April 2014, 09:36 PM
It doesn't have to be a club comp for the course name to come up.

We have golf link access to put cards in and all our comps we put in come up with the courses name. I would be interested to see how many players were in the comp.

I would have thought there would be a few "riverview" golf clubs.

The first google result is a club which plays at Ivanhoe public course near Melbourne. They publish their results, but did not have competitions on the days Adrian Fleming scored 54 and 46 points, so presumably that can't be the Riverview he plays at.

The only other google result is a club in WA.

I wonder where the Riverview is that Andrew Fleming plays at, and how his clubmates feel about his 54 stableford points.

BenM
27th April 2014, 10:01 PM
So what. Someone has fudged his handicap enough to win some glory. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Get over it people.

That is more than fudging.

3oneday
27th April 2014, 10:04 PM
There is an element of so what.... sometimes winning is more important to some than others :)

3Puttpete
27th April 2014, 10:08 PM

That is more than fudging.

And the glory he stands to win is worth $65k

mike
27th April 2014, 10:13 PM

I was taking the piss ...

Peppas
27th April 2014, 10:21 PM
Must be a sweet course, should drive down there for a game sometime to watch these guys score big!

golfbound
28th April 2014, 07:51 AM
my father inlaw was a greens keeper there. Its and easy course most of the par 4 s you can drive off the tee box not many bunkers or trees. Those scores thought are wrong.... having said that i played jamberoo GC comp last year with a feild of 90 odd had 38 points and came second last.

antz30
28th April 2014, 09:28 AM
58 points! haha
Sharp pencil, should have just made it 60 points!

golfbound
28th April 2014, 09:39 AM
love to see the golflink number stats for the last 6 months not sure how i could get there number

sms316
8th May 2014, 06:21 AM
A very special thanks to the guys at Gungahlin Lakes for stuffing up my score entry yesterday which saw me drop from 99th in Qld to 3751st.

I hope that when they correct my score today that they do it properly. The Lexus Cup is serious stuff.

Hatchman
8th May 2014, 04:16 PM
Contact old mate Jim for some tips on how to have 58pts as well as a heap of 44+'s and your total will be ok.

sms316
8th May 2014, 04:48 PM
Jim no longer leading btw.

antz30
15th May 2014, 03:21 AM
New bloke leading now.
A grader playing in C grade
He be of +3 at the end of the comp and Jim to if he plays again.

Going on past Lexus Cups the top 2 players won`t play again till it`s over

sms316
15th May 2014, 06:16 AM
Amazing consistency from c graders.

Buzz
15th May 2014, 08:31 AM
Amazing consistency from c graders. As a C grader myself the only thing I am consistent at is being inconsistent !

Hatchman
15th May 2014, 02:07 PM
As a C grader myself the only thing I am consistent at is being inconsistent !

Exactly, and that's why the bulls!t alarm is so deafening.

Hatchman
15th May 2014, 02:08 PM
New bloke leading now.
A grader playing in C grade
He be of +3 at the end of the comp and Jim to if he plays again.

Going on past Lexus Cups the top 2 players won`t play again till it`s over

Is that's what happened last year?
Build up a huge points tally then don't play to make sure no scores reduce it?

mike
15th May 2014, 02:33 PM
It's a bullshit comp anyway.

sms316
15th May 2014, 02:57 PM
It's a bullshit comp anyway. It's big in Mareeba.

Dotty
15th May 2014, 03:07 PM
It's a bullshit comp anyway.
Bullshit company also.

Four unsubscribes, then two emails to the organiser to take me off the mailing list (and both replied saying that it had been actioned). Today, I get another email saying my score has been updated.

Lexus - Favoured brand of those who shouldn't have a licence.

sms316
25th May 2014, 06:16 AM
Stupid question - should your Lexus Cup score be just your total of all scores listed in your LC history? Or do some drop off?

Marto65
25th May 2014, 07:32 AM
Stupid question - should your Lexus Cup score be just your total of all scores listed in your LC history? Or do some drop off?

Hold on mate, I'll look it up.

Nah ... The care factor got in the way...

Hatchman
25th May 2014, 08:25 AM

Can't help but will take a bit of a guess.
I have no idea how the scoring system works. They do run something in 10 week blocks don't they? Maybe the scores re-set at the end of each 10 week block.
Just guessing

Daves
25th May 2014, 08:30 AM
From the website;

your best five rounds and 1 worst round during the series will be used to calculate your position on the leaderboard

Hence why the leaders stop playing, unless their no.1 positon is overtaken.

mike
25th May 2014, 10:15 AM
Hold on mate, I'll look it up.

Nah ... The care factor got in the way...Hahaha coffee everywhere now.

From the website;

your best five rounds and 1 worst round during the series will be used to calculate your position on the leaderboard

Hence why the leaders stop playing, unless their no.1 position is overtaken.I still think it's a bullshit comp but I'd be ok with it if they went in sort of the opposite direction to this. Say for example minimum 15 rounds but your top 5 rounds drop off.

It's just so open to sandbaggers and cheats and ANY person that wins it will be branded as such.
(And no, this has nothing to do with the fact I've never won it nor does it reflect on my under achievement at golf in general.)

antz30
27th May 2014, 08:34 AM
Is that's what happened last year?
Build up a huge points tally then don't play to make sure no scores reduce it?

Yep sure was the case. 1 did not play for like 2 months the other a month.

Hatchman
28th May 2014, 06:31 PM
I only registered for the random draw prizes as it's free not placing much faith on the randomness of the draw thou.

The old saying, you got to be in it to win it.

graham_w
28th May 2014, 07:54 PM
I only registered for the random draw prizes as it's free not placing much faith on the randomness of the draw thou.

The old saying, you got to be in it to win it.

Knowing your luck, you'll win a family holiday to the Gold Coast.

aussieashley
28th May 2014, 08:00 PM
They've released a statement about Jim's 58 point round:

https://www.lexuscup.com.au/news/jim-s-58-point-round-approved/

sms316
28th May 2014, 08:13 PM
I hope Jim handed in his disability parking permit.

Webster
28th May 2014, 08:21 PM
Jim's dog ate his homework.

WBennett
28th May 2014, 08:48 PM
Jim is a cheat. Bet he uses a long putter and a rangefinder.

backintheswing
28th May 2014, 08:56 PM

And he is probably a school teacher.

sms316
28th May 2014, 09:11 PM
And he is probably a school teacher. And a unionist.

WBennett
28th May 2014, 09:19 PM
Nah sms. Council worker. Who else gets that much free time?

BenM
28th May 2014, 09:21 PM
I don't give a shit what GL says. It's bogus. The bloke was anchored on 23.5 - goes out to 35 and played 10 shots better than his old anchor.

Get f@@@d that's not dodgy.

WBennett
28th May 2014, 09:29 PM
I refuse to ever buy a Lexus. We should all tweet Lexus and let them know they encourage cheats and never buy one of their products again.

Johnny Canuck
28th May 2014, 09:56 PM

Jim*

Hatchman
29th May 2014, 03:43 PM
I don't give a shit what GL says. It's bogus. The bloke was anchored on 23.5 - goes out to 35 and played 10 shots better than his old anchor.

Get f@@@d that's not dodgy.

I just love how GL try and justify the massive blow out of handicap. I hope old mate Jim is getting smashed locally.

Daves
29th May 2014, 03:46 PM
Jim is now down to 3rd place, and unlikely to make the finals I suspect.

Steve57
29th May 2014, 05:30 PM
Jim is now down to 3rd place, and unlikely to make the finals I suspect.

Must be two bigger cheats!!

Hatchman
30th May 2014, 09:06 AM

Bigger and bolder.

Daves
30th May 2014, 09:21 AM

One (2nd place) has a worst round of 35 points and has only played 6 rounds for an average of 41 pts a round, 12 shots on average better than the field means. A Statistician would giggle if they saw the scores.

The other has played lots of rounds (34), lots of shite scores (worst is 28 points), but has also managed lots of big 40+ pt rounds as well, including a 45 and a 48 back to back.

All the big scorers are C Graders. The A Grade leader is only 13th overall.

Daggs
31st May 2014, 09:04 AM
This in Lexus Cup email this morning

Could a golfer have a score of 58 stableford points in a single round of golf? If a perfect storm of circumstances occurred right around the time the handicapping system underwent a major change they could.
Lexus Cup overall second place holder “Jim” posted exactly that score on March 15 this year, a fact which has understandably been the source of some controversy.
Organisers of the event, Golf Link, have undertaken extensive investigations into how the score was posted and have concluded nothing untoward has occurred.
When Golf Australia implemented the final raft of changes to the handicapping system on January 23 every player's Anchor (the highest handicap they could play off in any given 12 month period, now known as a Cap Point) was re-set.
“This is because handicaps calculated under the old system can not be directly compared to GA Handicaps calculated under the new system,” GA says
“And with some low Slope Rated courses, many players who had never previously been Capped would have been beyond their Cap Point before they had even played a game under the new system.
“Golf Australia was also mindful that the lack of a DSR under the old system was what was artificially Capping a large proportion of the overall number of Capped players (ie many golfers were Capped purely because they returned rounds against artificially high Scratch Ratings during the summer months - which led directly to the achievement of artificially low handicaps)."
A consequence of this change, though, is exactly the scenario which saw “Jim” return a score of 58 points.
“Jim” has had injury issues in recent years and, as you will see from the below, his handicap history reflects an 18 month period of extremely poor form.
On June 2, 2012 “Jim” hit his anchor of 23.5. Between that date and June 1, 2013 he played 50 rounds of golf and bettered his handicap just once.
Over the period he had 31 scores in the 20s, nine scores in the 30s, five scores in the teens and two scores of 12 points for 18 holes. He also had one “No score – Not Approved”.
His anchor reached 28.5 in June 2013 but his form did not improve. Between June 2013 and January 2014 he played 25 rounds without breaking his handicap once. He scored in the 30s once, the 20s nine times and in consecutive competitions in September/October returned scores of 5 and 4 points respectively.
When the change occurred on January 23 “Jim's” new handicap was 35 but by then he had also had surgery to repair a troublesome knee which was contributing to his poor play.
In five rounds between January 30 and March 15, when he posted the 58 point score, “Jim” had successive improving rounds 28, 24, 34 and 37 points.

Given “Jim's” handicap and injury history Golf Link has determined there has been no manipulation or attempted manipulation of any score or handicap and the result from March 15 will stand for both handicap and Lexus Cup purposes.

markTHEblake
31st May 2014, 10:22 AM
I just love how GL try and justify the massive blow out of handicap. How did you read that into it? The system allows such a significant handicap blowout to occur after a period of time. There also seems to be no intent by the player to cheat, would anyone have gone to all that trouble just to win a ordinary club comp.

Daggs
31st May 2014, 10:46 AM
he played a sh** load of golf in 2 years

MegaWatty
31st May 2014, 04:55 PM
I registered today. Is anyone aware if they add previous rounds prior to registration or only new rounds from here in?

live4golf
31st May 2014, 05:27 PM
For anyone to get 58 points there is something wrong somewhere.