PDA

View Full Version : Will they or wont they ???

Jarro
28th November 2005, 07:36 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17383008-32464,00.html

I'd love to see this happen, it'd be the shot in the arm the Aussie Tour really needs.

Bruce
28th November 2005, 08:02 PM
I don't see why October would be considered to be clashing with anything big. The NRL final is the first week and the Spring Carnival doesn't *really* get going until much later in the month. Mid-October seems like a great time. Courses are in pretty good nick with spring growth going. I don't see why not. Appearance money is, of course, the thing that will stop this being a success no matter when they play it. You could play it the week beforethe Masters if you made your appearance fees high enough and get a great field.

I think Tiger will come voluntarily when he is about 38 and has $1B in prizemoney in the bank. At that point he might follow Nicklaus and Palmer and set about getting his name on as many trophies of note around the world as he can. The Stonehaven Cup is one he will set his sights on eventually.

markTHEblake
29th November 2005, 01:16 AM
my pro mate was saying the other day that the underlying problem with the Australian tour is that if we want a $1M tournament it costs $6M to run it - and the bottom line is that there are a lot of people getting rich out of such tournament, especially if IMG get involved as they get "20%" of everything. If they can cut out a lot of this overhead then the sponsors money can get thrown back to the prizemoney where its really needed.

Golfgirl
29th November 2005, 07:47 PM
It certainly is food for thought... and as Bruce said - mid-October means that it would not clash with the Spring Racing Carnival or the footy final.... but what happens to the rest of the Australian "Tour" events. Do we move them to so that they are still adjacent to the Aus Open??? :?

As to the appearance money - well, we probably will never be able to afford the best of the American golfers, eg Tiger, but hey! we might still get enough recognisable names down here to give the tournament the boost that it needs!!

goughy
30th November 2005, 05:46 AM
I'msure we could still manage to find money for drawcards suchas Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton and Rich Beem. Or have we tried that already?

Jarro
30th November 2005, 05:51 AM
well Ernie and Retief seem to be able to come down and play on a semi-regular basis so the money can't be all that bad ...... or is it just an American thing :roll:

Fishman Dan
3rd December 2005, 07:19 AM
It's good to see it being discussed by the top players, not just the local PGA and media. But you look at the PGA Tour and there are periods of nothingness. It would be good if they stopped trying to fill 52 weeks of the year.

goughy
3rd December 2005, 10:25 AM
I think that's what is happening next year. Doesn't the pga tour finish like sept?

drunken
3rd December 2005, 01:31 PM
2007 its happening. US Tour will finish in September, less Tournaments in th States. So there will be alot of people who are looking for a few tournaments around the money for a bit extra spending money.

Jarro
3rd December 2005, 03:03 PM
where'd you hear that Drunken :?:

drunken
3rd December 2005, 03:12 PM
Jarro, first two paragraphs of the article that this thread is about.... :roll:
or if thats too difficult for you

Woods was reflecting on the US PGA Tour's decision to radically shorten its season from 2007 and the impact it could have on the Australasian tour.

Under the revamp, the US season effectively ends in mid-September - to be followed by either the Ryder or Presidents cups - leaving leading American-based golfers free to play in tournaments around the world.

Jarro
3rd December 2005, 03:18 PM
they also say that as well as Australia it will greatly benefit japan as well ..... most of the big boys would probably go there before they come to Australia anyway :roll:

drunken
3rd December 2005, 03:23 PM
Oh well. We don't want all of them anyway, how else are you going to get young guys coming through if the field is full of US Tour regulars. Just a half dozen of the top 50 or 75 is all we need (apart from the Aussies). I'm sure Els will be back for most of the tournaments next year.

Jarro
3rd December 2005, 03:32 PM
I see Jack Newton is having a bit of a dig at VJ Singh today ... he reckons he owes our tour a showing :roll:

ccan't remember the last time VJ played here :?

Grunt
3rd December 2005, 03:34 PM
Has he ever played here after his early years?

Golfgirl
4th December 2005, 09:14 AM
Would loooove to see Els play here again.... next year's Aust Open would suit me down to the ground. :D