PDA

View Full Version : So... What does Scott's Masters win mean for Australia and Golf in Australia?

idgolfguy
16th April 2013, 10:01 PM
Had a chat with Nuffie who was quite buoyed and invigorated by it.
I thought it was a great tournament and full Kudos to him.

Does it now change the face of Australian Golf? Do we care?

Professional sport is individualistic. The sportsperson may have started nationalistic, but it is professional - a living - about cash.

mike
16th April 2013, 10:03 PM
Any major win is good for aussie golf. I was involved at the golf club when Ogilvy won. The profile of golf lifted overnight.

markTHEblake
16th April 2013, 10:20 PM
Same thing that happened when Thomson, Nagle, Ferrier Graham, Norman, Baker-Finch, Elkington and Ogilvy won.
and I swear i have forgotten someone.

Ashes
16th April 2013, 10:25 PM
More importantly, what do you think Barry from the PGN is going to do for golf in WA?

Daves
16th April 2013, 10:31 PM
Same thing that happened when Thomson, Nagle, Ferrier Graham, Norman, Baker-Finch, Elkington and Ogilvy won.

Grady.

markTHEblake
16th April 2013, 10:33 PM
Ha! how could I forget, I have caddied for Grady.

Between Dad, brother and I we have caddied for 7 major winners. (not hard to work out)

3Puttpete
16th April 2013, 10:34 PM
Can we have Michael Campbell too?

Dotty
16th April 2013, 10:38 PM
Grady.

It will be interesting to see if the Scott win has more influence, as he won with a couple of birdies. (As opposed to Ogilvy being the last man standing, after Monty, Furyk, Lefty and one other collapsed on the last hole at Winged Foot.)

ps. Interesting coincidence that bomb attacks in Boston, mirror 911 attacks just days after an Aussie won the US Open in tennis.

idgolfguy
17th April 2013, 01:35 AM
Introduce more kids who now want anchored putting strokes?

Scott winning is not going to get me to play more golf than I do now. I remember the Americas Cup, made me want to go out and buy a yacht. Not!
Like golf, I did sail a bit at the time - S80s.

All the adulation, Peter Thompson's proclamation about him going to be the best. If it hadn't happened by now - it's not likely to happen eventually. It's great for him, and is a breakthrough milestone.

I just don't see the big deal from the nation's perspective.

Ashes
17th April 2013, 01:47 AM

Scott winning is not going to get me to play more golf than I do now. I remember the Americas Cup, made me want to go out and buy a yacht. Not!

All the adulation, Peter Thompson's proclamation about him going to be the best. If it hadn't happened by now - it's not likely to happen eventually. It's great for him, and is a breakthrough milestone.

Hard to compare it to the Americas Cup win. It didn't have the profile that golf already enjoys. From what I've read, Australia's win substantially increased interest in the Cup in the US and around the world, not just Australia.

Golf is already hugely popular in Australia, any impact will be fairly minimal in the Scheme of things. Might be different if he starts piling up major victories.

Ashes
17th April 2013, 01:52 AM
I was surprised that it hasn't even generated any interest from mates that are occasional golfers (~6 times a year). Tried teeing up a hit this weekend with some of them, but it looks like we'll be catching up for beers instead.

Same individuals went out and bought bikes on the back of Cadels efforts after having nil interest in riding previously.

PeteyD
17th April 2013, 04:46 AM

You already play, poorly like most of us. It is getting the young people involved that is important. Hopefully it will raise the profile of that.

Scott has won the Masters at his 12th attempt. Same as Michelson. Definitely potential to win a few more majors and be the best ever. Has to catch Thompson's 5 Open wins. Next on the list is Norman with 2 Opens, and Graham with a PGA and US Open.

Yossarian
17th April 2013, 10:50 AM
I can't see how it can have anything other than a positive effect in terms of participation, new people coming to the sport, profile raised for a time at least and so on.

Waddzy
17th April 2013, 11:02 AM
Its already had 2 guys from my workplace decide to give golf a go after watching the masters, having their first round this weekend with some nice cheapy clubs .. makes people more interested in the game especially seeing its not just for later years when your retired and such . Scotts being awarded the keys to the city on the Gold Coast in a few months , I doubt he will actually be there in person but still shines a good light on the game for others to give it a try.

markTHEblake
17th April 2013, 12:51 PM
He will be here, he lives here!

idgolfguy
17th April 2013, 01:27 PM
He lives in Australia? I thought he was a Florida resident.

rubin
17th April 2013, 01:29 PM
He will be here, he lives here!

His and home is in Switzerland.
He also has property in Florida for the PGA season, and his parents live on the Gold Coast.

I don't think he owns anything in Aus anymore.

3Puttpete
17th April 2013, 01:48 PM
Not the Caribbean?

8081travis
17th April 2013, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately the wed comp at the club today was very quiet, everyone still celebrating!!

PerryGroves
17th April 2013, 03:34 PM
His and home is in Switzerland.
He also has property in Florida for the PGA season, and his parents live on the Gold Coast.

I don't think he owns anything in Aus anymore.

I imagine he is still stuck with some Gold Coast apartments, nobody around to lift you for a decent price in that shit hole.

CobraSS
17th April 2013, 05:28 PM
Not the Caribbean?

Bahamas

markTHEblake
17th April 2013, 06:06 PM

Yeah well so is every other PGA tour player for tax reasons. Adam spends quite a bit of time here, obviously not 9 months of the year as he is working, and then hanging around supermodels and tennis hotties. One of the young fella's around here is pretty thick with him and the family, so he mentions stuff from time to time, and the guy is often seen 'about town', one of the chicks at work went all gaga cos she sat next to him at the dentist waiting room.

Outcast
17th April 2013, 09:29 PM
It generated some press for our club (Cairns). We've been on the news a bit recently (and the local paper) with the opening of the newly renovated club house.

A masters breakfast & 9 hole comp was held on Monday morning & it was featured on the local news (WIN). Not sure it would have been featured if Adam hadn't won.

At least locally, one would hope that the publicity our club is/has been receiving might boost interest

Yossarian
17th April 2013, 10:20 PM
Yeah well so is every other PGA tour player for tax reasons. Adam spends quite a bit of time here, obviously not 9 months of the year as he is working, and then hanging around supermodels and tennis hotties. One of the young fella's around here is pretty thick with him and the family, so he mentions stuff from time to time, and the guy is often seen 'about town', one of the chicks at work went all gaga cos she sat next to him at the dentist waiting room.

Rubin didn't mention the dentist visit!

rubin
17th April 2013, 10:26 PM
I haven't been to the dentist for years, but mine was in the airport.

Me and Scotty go ways back.

Pencil
18th April 2013, 09:36 PM
Can we have Michael Campbell too?

Yes

solarbear
18th April 2013, 10:33 PM
Scott seems to lack the charisma of Norman. The effect he has will be a small blip like Ogilvy.

timah!
18th April 2013, 10:38 PM
Scott seems to lack the charisma of Norman. The effect he has will be a small blip like Ogilvy.

I dunno. There seems to be a fair chunk of female interest in the game right now. Could be good for the game.

idgolfguy
19th April 2013, 12:31 AM
Sure it's not for any other female golfers?

PeteyD
19th April 2013, 05:20 AM
Good looking young man lacks charisma? He is not the orator Norman was I guess.

dc68
19th April 2013, 05:37 AM

I reckon Scotty will win another Major before 2014 is done.

PeteyD
19th April 2013, 05:38 AM
I am inclined to agree. If an old fart like Mark OMeara can do it, no reason Scotty can't.

Hatchman
19th April 2013, 11:04 AM
Good looking young man lacks charisma? He is not the orator Norman was I guess.

The role the media plays fixes a lot of that.
When they get a liking for someone they just keep ramming the image of the person down the consumers throats until the masses are on board. Some persona's make that job a little easier for them.

solarbear
22nd April 2013, 06:44 PM
Charisma is not about looks its about personality. Scott has all the personality of a bar of soap.

Hatchman
22nd April 2013, 06:58 PM
Charisma is not about looks its about personality. Scott has all the personality of a bar of soap.

What, gets you all lathered up and leaves you nice and clean after?

idgolfguy
22nd April 2013, 08:27 PM
He has a commanding voice.

Yossarian
22nd April 2013, 09:12 PM
So do I apparently...