PDA

View Full Version : What would you do to save a good round!!

Stuartd147
14th April 2013, 01:07 PM
I saved the 5/2!!

Last week playing the 17th at Port Kembla and my tee shot ended up in the water. When I got to my ball about 2mm was sticking out of the water and to my surprise I could make a stance in the mud. When my buddies realised I was going to hit it they said "hold on we want a photo of this!!" and they grabbed their I-phones hoping that I would stuff up, get soaked, covered in mud or all of the above. That proved an incentive to keep still and make a good attempt. Ball flew out perfectly about 60m and I saved the 5/2!

All good....Stu

golf2013
14th April 2013, 01:50 PM
Had the same situation once at my course but lucky enough it was on the 18th so I could afford to get splashed.

AndyP
14th April 2013, 02:18 PM
I'd do that sort of shot purely for the fun of it.

I strongly encouraged Bruce to do something similar at a Champs round.

At a pro-am last year I played a PW off rocks in the water hazard for my approach on a par 5. It almost got on the green, but caught the front edge of the trap. I just missed the sand save unfortunately.

I have a few gouges out of the base I my PW as proof of my attempt.

Puji
14th April 2013, 04:31 PM
My best ever round of +2 stroke off back markers.

Was round three of four of a shield comp. heading towards my third consecutive round in the 70's.

Tee shot on 18 came very close to, but stopped before a substantial tree (trunk had a 20cm diameter).

I could make a free backswing with a gap wedge but would have hit the tree on follow through. Decided to hit the shot and sacrifice club.

Hit a great shot. Stiffed it to 4 ft.

Broke/ bent the shaft. (Just an S300 - which can basically be bought at the local milk bar these days)

Missed the putt.

F#%K!!!

popper81
14th April 2013, 06:07 PM
I always go back and re-hit a ball if it is lost & I can still score on the hole. Most people walk away and say it is too much effort to go back to the tee.

This year alone I have made a second ball birdie on the number 1 ranked hole at Moonah for 5/2 and a second ball eagle for 5/3 on the 17th hole at MWP. Both rounds I had a good score going. The second ball eagle was a buzz.

AndyP
14th April 2013, 06:38 PM
Do you run back to the tee?

Courty
14th April 2013, 06:42 PM
I've done it on more than one occasion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktpYHKjQggY

Puji
14th April 2013, 06:42 PM
I always go back and re-hit a ball if it is lost & I can still score on the hole. Most people walk away and say it is too much effort to go back to the tee.

This year alone I have made a second ball birdie on the number 1 ranked hole at Moonah for 5/2 and a second ball eagle for 5/3 on the 17th hole at MWP. Both rounds I had a good score going. The second ball eagle was a buzz.

I wish I had the confidence to do that. For some reason I always feel like I shouldn't even if I wouldn't hold up the field.

How did you manage a second ball eagle!?!!

mrbluu
14th April 2013, 07:20 PM
I'm going with he score a 3 on a par 5 or a 2 on a par 4 with the second ball.

popper81
14th April 2013, 07:30 PM
I did on the eagle, Andy..... i am a fitness machine these days ;)

Moonah it was in carts, but I was holding everyone up. ( That is when i feel bad) Sorry again boys.

Puji, it was wet and my ball just plugged from my driver off the tee & I never found it. The fact it was wet helped, it was also tee up. I went driver driver ( 2nd driver was 230 to the pin, 200 water carry from memory) .. I hit it to about 30ft and I knew I was going to hole the putt, just had a feeling... I had ran all the way back, and then ran all the way back played my second shoot and ran to the green. It was a surreal feeling, as I was even with the card & was really keen to go under. It was even better that I had a shot and it was 5/3. I had a 8footer on the last to shoot 70, and was shocked when it missed.

To be honest, I have done it a number of times... A point is a point.. Sometimes you get them softly, sometimes you really earn them.

Puji
14th April 2013, 07:43 PM
Ohhhh!!!

Just had a face palm moment. I thought you meant you actually scored an eagle after reloading.

Didn't realise you meant 'it would have been an eagle had my second ball been my first'

Ignore me.

Great work mate. Sounds like you enjoyed Moonah. One of my favourites.

I guess it's slightly different with carts....

Hatchman
14th April 2013, 10:59 PM
I have two that I have clear memories of as they were both in club championship final 4th rounds.

1st_ Did the out of the water thing on a short par four. Drive ended up in a shallow creek about 50m from the green. top part of the ball was just poking out of the water so donned the water proofs and had a crack at it. Bounced up onto the green and about 20 foot away. Lipped out for birdie and the guy that was in contention against me 3 stabbed it for a double. I was already 6 shots up before that stage but I think that shattered any belief he had of pegging the gap back.

2nd and the best one_Last round of club champs at a club I had just joined that year. Only the top four after two qualifying rounds get to play the final as 36 holes stroke. We had members walking around watching the last 18. On the par 5 second hole I pulled my 2nd shot into the bushes/trees almost into a bush on the sand hill. I had 80m to go with no clear or right handed shot. I was sitting on a sandy lie with a tree between me and the green. I could see V formed by the big branches about 1.5-2m up that gave me a hole to shot through. I grabbed the 8 iron out and turned it around to hit with the toe left handed. One of the members was watching as I was taking practice swings. Made a 3/4 swing and caught it as clean as. Cleared the bush easy and landed just off and rolled up to about 10 foot. Holed the putt for birdie. I think the member was more excited than I was about the shot than I was and running running around telling every body like a kid that raided a candy shop.

markTHEblake
14th April 2013, 11:38 PM
second ball eagle for 5/3
had one of those too once, the end result is a good score for the hole but you dont know whether you should be happy or not.

LeftyHoges
15th April 2013, 12:31 PM

Did you go back and hit one on the 1st at PW last year too and nearly canned the bird? Or am I imagining things?

Also, no probs with me about coming back to hit one at Moonah. We didn't mind at all.

popper81
15th April 2013, 12:37 PM
Did you go back and hit one on the 1st at PW last year too and nearly canned the bird? Or am I imagining things?

Also, no probs with me about coming back to hit one at Moonah. We didn't mind at all.

That I did.... Good memory. I have also made 4/3 on the 5th at pelican after dunking one in the piss. In my first champs ever I made 6/1 on 5th after swimming two balls.

LarryLong
15th April 2013, 12:58 PM

Actually, I remember that. Popper came back to the tee, hurried along and hit a perfect drive down the fairway. I'm not sure if Popper heard it or not, but in the background kev said "He hits it so much better when he doesn't do that wood chopper thing".

That was the quote of the champs, for mine. :)

popper81
15th April 2013, 01:03 PM
Actually, I remember that. Popper came back to the tee, hurried along and hit a perfect drive down the fairway. I'm not sure if Popper heard it or not, but in the background kev said "He hits it so much better when he doesn't do that wood chopper thing".

Hahahaha... No I missed that... it may well be true. It is becoming a OCD. Like a weird waggle. :)

LeftyHoges
15th April 2013, 03:43 PM

Ha, had forgotten that! Good stuff!

PeteyD
15th April 2013, 03:44 PM
The wood chopping is frightful.

Courty
15th April 2013, 04:00 PM
It's a RSS thing isn't it Pops? I recall Anton doing the same thing.

popper81
15th April 2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah, sort of... For me it is about getting the right feeling. I battle to get my left arm high enough, which makes me loose body shape & have a closed club face. Left over right fixes that. I also drop it way inside at the start of the down swing. The wood chop helps with the feeling of dropping the club on the ball as opposed to dropping my hand inside.

Anton battles low hands at the top of his swing. At times he will do something similar, but very rarely..... He just aims and unleashes.