PDA

View Full Version : Vijay NOT banned due to using Deer Antler Spray (announced 1 May)

Stuartd147
3rd April 2013, 10:11 AM
Poor Vijay.....I am in Fiji and the locals are appalled he is banned as of today and right before the Masters given he is a previous winner.Apparently the Tour had advised players not to use the anter spray, made by Sports with Alternatives to Steroids, a two-man company in Birmingham, Ala., because it could contain Insulin-like Growth Factor, which has been banned under the Tour's Anti-Doping Policy....Stu

Captain Nemo
3rd April 2013, 10:13 AM
I have no compassion for the cheat.
Rules are rules, you break em, pay the consequence.

oncewasagolfer
3rd April 2013, 10:16 AM
About bloody time the tour took way too long.

wazandnic
3rd April 2013, 10:27 AM
Any chance Ogilvy could get a wild card call up now to take his spot??

sms316
3rd April 2013, 10:32 AM
Karma.

Captain Nemo
3rd April 2013, 10:36 AM
Karma's a bitch.....
Fixed.

pt73
3rd April 2013, 11:05 AM
Any chance Ogilvy could get a wild card call up now to take his spot??
Vijay gets a start as a past champion and Ogilvy is currently ranked #55 so wouldn't get a start anyway.

oncewasagolfer
3rd April 2013, 11:09 AM
Does that take into account the other past champions in the top 50?

PeteyD
3rd April 2013, 11:12 AM
Masters is an invitational

See here (http://golf.about.com/od/majorchampionships/f/masters-qualifications.htm) for qualifying criteria.

They don't have a full field like other tournaments.

Captain Nemo
3rd April 2013, 11:18 AM
Does that take into account the other past champions in the top 50?

No, pretty sure if youve won it b4, no matter how old or how bad youre playing, you can enter......

simmsy
3rd April 2013, 11:21 AM
Yep

KristianJ
3rd April 2013, 11:22 AM
No, pretty sure if youve won it b4, no matter how old or how bad youre playing, you can enter...... Correct...Mike Weir is a prime example.

Captain Nemo
3rd April 2013, 11:24 AM
Just as a side note to this.
A mate of mine is leaving on Sunday heading to the Masters!
Early last year he forwarded out an email, stating he'd won tickets in the lottery (well you have to buy them) to the Masters.
We all thought it was a gee-up/fake email from Nigeria etc...
Low and behold he gets 4 tix, and he's off with 3 other guys from his club on sunday......**** me!

IanO
3rd April 2013, 11:26 AM
Lucky lucky B******d!

IanO
3rd April 2013, 11:27 AM
PS. does this mean I should not ignore those text messages I get telling me I have won GBP 2 m?

Captain Nemo
3rd April 2013, 11:31 AM
PS. does this mean I should not ignore those text messages I get telling me I have won GBP 2 m?

Hahahaha, probably!
He new the email was legit as he obviously entered the lottery (god knows how you go about it...)
But the email he forwarded to all of us, was like, this cant be fair-dinkum!!!!
Anyway, ive asked for some momento's if he can grab some...

wazandnic
3rd April 2013, 11:41 AM
Hopefully he heard you right and is getting a momento not the famous pimento??

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/04/04/the-masters-golf-2012-augusta-national-a-bargain-unlike-any-other/

Not sure customs would allow the latter in and think it could be a bit manky by the time it gets back here anyway! ;)

PerryGroves
3rd April 2013, 12:04 PM
Masters organisers know you have paid plenty to get in. Not being gouged is just another really good part about the experience. This would be in contrast to the $28 hamburger and $9 beer at the Springsteen concert.

Captain Nemo
3rd April 2013, 12:08 PM
Masters organisers know you have paid plenty to get in. Not being gouged is just another really good part about the experience. This would be in contrast to the $28 hamburger and $9 beer at the Springsteen concert.

Thats why I ate and drank b4 i went....:D

oncewasagolfer
3rd April 2013, 12:26 PM
No, pretty sure if youve won it b4, no matter how old or how bad youre playing, you can enter...... What I meant was do previous winners count towards the top 50 who get in as ogilvy might make it if that's the case. I think he was right on 50 going into the final round last week but didn't play well enough to stay there.

Captain Nemo
3rd April 2013, 12:29 PM
What I meant was do previous winners count towards the top 50 who get in as ogilvy might make it if that's the case. I think he was right on 50 going into the final round last week but didn't play well enough to stay there.

http://golf.about.com/od/majorchampionships/f/masters-qualifications.htm

oncewasagolfer
3rd April 2013, 12:34 PM
Yeah just read that ogilvy had to have a win this week to get in but he has withdrawn.

matty
3rd April 2013, 02:28 PM
How long is vijay out?

KristianJ
3rd April 2013, 02:34 PM
This is the only link I can find relating to a suspension being handed out:

http://www.thegolfblog.com/2013/04/the-golf-blog-pga-tour-commissioner-suspends-vijay-singh-for-1-year-for-deer-antler-spray.html

Nothing on PGATour.com, haven't looked on Golf WRX...

PeteyD
3rd April 2013, 03:13 PM
At first I thought it might be a gee up. But seems that Vijay was under investigation about it from earlier in the year?

eg: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/21314046

Stuartd147
3rd April 2013, 03:24 PM
Matty...he is out for 12 months...Stu

Captain Nemo
3rd April 2013, 03:25 PM
Matty...he is out for 12 months...Stu

Wow!
Didnt know that, well there you go, they finally cracked down hard...

kev
3rd April 2013, 03:35 PM
So let's now speculate what would have happened if it was Tiger that was caught...

BenM
3rd April 2013, 03:42 PM
This is the only link I can find relating to a suspension being handed out:

http://www.thegolfblog.com/2013/04/the-golf-blog-pga-tour-commissioner-suspends-vijay-singh-for-1-year-for-deer-antler-spray.html

Nothing on PGATour.com, haven't looked on Golf WRX...

And look at the date on the article....

I will not be believing it until there is something official. Until then, I'm gonna assume Vijay is playing.

PeteyD
3rd April 2013, 03:45 PM
Yea. I don't believe the ban until it is confirmed. Considering they have been ginning about for over a month it looks a trifle contrived.

BrettM
3rd April 2013, 06:49 PM
Hahahaha, probably!
He new the email was legit as he obviously entered the lottery (god knows how you go about it...)
But the email he forwarded to all of us, was like, this cant be fair-dinkum!!!!
Anyway, ive asked for some momento's if he can grab some...

Keep an eye on the Masters website after the tournament. Sometime around May/June they have a section where you fill out your details and request what day tickets (and how many) you want. You can get up to 4 tickets for Monday - Wednesday, (and maybe Thur/Fri - can't remember) and only 2 thereafter for Sat/Sun. Just fill in the maximum for each day and hope for the best, it is an amazing place to visit.

IanO
4th April 2013, 10:45 AM
http://www.masters.com/en_US/players/invitees_2013.html

Vijay is in the invited list .. so this whole thread is ....

an April fools joke

Stuartd147
4th April 2013, 08:41 PM
Not according to this week's FIJI newspapers......:?

oncewasagolfer
4th April 2013, 08:59 PM
So disappoint.

matty
4th April 2013, 09:03 PM
Maybe his mum gave it to him and he didn't know it was a banned substance.

PeteyD
4th April 2013, 09:46 PM
He dobbed himself in.

IanO
5th April 2013, 11:38 AM
Seems I have it wrong ... but still no statement from the PGA or Singh

oncewasagolfer
10th April 2013, 09:58 AM
http://gwrxmedia.golfwrx.com/media/photos/bc9973c65deda9628c209dc5f4f0d07f.jpg

razaar
10th April 2013, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I saw that too on WRX pics of Monday at The Masters.

IanO
10th April 2013, 11:23 AM
According to the field list for the Masters as at 5 April Vijay is in

MASTERS CHAMPIONS: Bubba Watson, Charl Schwartzel, Phil Mickelson, Angel Cabrera, Trevor Immelman, Zach Johnson, Tiger Woods, Mike Weir, Vijay Singh, Jose Maria Olazabal, Mark O'Meara, Ben Crenshaw, Bernhard Langer, Fred Couples, Ian Woosnam, Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize, Craig Stadler, Tom Watson.

oncewasagolfer
10th April 2013, 11:36 AM
That's what she said;)

BayBum
10th April 2013, 11:56 AM
I thought the Masters isn't affliated (officially) with the PGA Tour ? Might explain why he's playing.

I guess we will soon find out when the masters is done,wether plays any Tour events.

Dude, Where's my Par?
10th April 2013, 12:29 PM
he is holding his one week gallery pass in his left hand

oncewasagolfer
10th April 2013, 12:31 PM
Why would he be putting on the practice green if that was the case?

Dude, Where's my Par?
10th April 2013, 12:45 PM
Why would he be putting on the practice green if that was the case?
I reckon he just had his putter in the car and thought he'd sneak on.
;)

Stuartd147
12th April 2013, 06:53 AM
Vijay's twin brother is doing OK!!:oops::smt087:mrgreen:

KristianJ
1st May 2013, 10:24 AM
http://m.foxsports.com.au/news/story.mml?id=1226632819577&keyId=8749154&league=

Goldy
1st May 2013, 11:23 AM
If Tim Finchem ran the AFL, the Bombers might not be sh!tting themselves to quite the same degree.

Mububban
1st May 2013, 03:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9228687/vijay-singh-not-suspended-taking-deer-antler-spray

Vijay Singh, who earlier this year admitted to taking a banned substance, will not face any sanctions after the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) determined that the use of deer antler spray is no long considered prohibitive.

After conducting tests on the product Singh admitted to taking, WADA determined that it no longer considers the use of deer-antler spray to be prohibited unless there is a positive test result.

Singh did not test positive for IGF-1 - the tour has no test for it -- a banned substance found in deer-antler spray. He admitted taking it, which by the tour's rules is treated the same as a positive test.

"Based on this new information, and given WADA's lead role in interpreting the prohibited list, the tour deemed it only fair to no longer treat Mr. Singh's use of deer-antler spray as a violation of the Tour's anti-doping program,'' Finchem said.

"We're talking about a determination that was made by scientists at WADA that relate to the consumption through deer-antler spray of a technically violative substance, IGF-1, but in looking at it, the scientists concluded it resulted in infinitesimal amounts actually being taken into the recipient's body,'' Finchem said. "Amounts that couldn't be distinguished even if you had an accurate test with the amounts that you might take into your body from milk, et cetera.

"In a case where, for whatever reason, you managed to take in enough IGF 1 so that it did trigger a positive reading ... it's not possible today. Because a positive reading means that you're surpassing a certain level. There hasn't been any level ever set.''

Jarro
1st May 2013, 04:35 PM
Thank god for that ..... i was losing so much sleep worrying for poor old Vijay :roll: