PDA

View Full Version : Keeping unread topic flags

AndyP
22nd November 2005, 10:15 AM
Last night, I added a modification to the forum, that keeps the unread flag for a topic active until the topic has actually been read.
(This MOD was previously requested in this linked topic (http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3244))

It will also keep track of the unread pages in a thread.  For example, if you only get through two pages of a five page thread, and then log out, the unread flag will be marked from the third page of the thread onwards.

Another feature is the little yellow page button, which you should be able to see next to the quote/edit buttons on each post, that allows you to mark the topic unread from that post onwards, a bit like a bookmark.

So now if you log out before you get the chance to read all of the new posts, they will remain marked as unread for when you log in the next time.  The link in the top right corner of the index page now reads 'view unread posts', instead of 'view unread posts since last visit'.
To mark them as read, you can use the 'mark as read' links on the main index and forum index pages.

drunken
22nd November 2005, 10:35 AM
nice work AP =D>

Jarro
22nd November 2005, 07:06 PM
yeah not bad, you're setting standards now that you better be able to keep.

AndyP
22nd November 2005, 07:36 PM
Or else what?

Jarro
22nd November 2005, 07:38 PM
Or else what?

.. or else everyone will think you're becoming a lazy slob.

Iain
23rd November 2005, 08:03 AM
Or else what?

.. or else everyone will think you're becoming a lazy slob.

Much like the other mod around here that doesn't do anything......

BrisVegas
23rd November 2005, 08:08 AM
Much like the other mod around here that doesn't do anything......

honestly, I don't know how either mod has time to moderate much of anything given their 7500 & 6000 post counts. :lol:

good work on the View Unread Posts link Andy. It's great not to have to keep going back to the Index page to find it.

AndyP
23rd November 2005, 08:15 AM
good work on the View Unread Posts link Andy. It's great not to have to keep going back to the Index page to find it.
As you requested, sir.

AndyP
23rd November 2005, 10:04 AM
Vegas' previous suggestion:
A "Posts Since Last Visit" button on every page, not just on the Forum HomePage, would be nice.
In case you haven't noticed, as BV has, there is now a New Posts link at the top and bottom right of the main index, viewforum and viewtopic pages.
This link will read "You have no unread posts" or a bold, underlined, larger sized, orange "View Unread Posts", if there are posts that you haven't looked at yet.

In addition to this, there is now a "Mark all posts as read" link on the top right of the new post search page, as requested by Toolish and 3oneday.  This link acts the same as the "Mark all forums read" link on the bottom left of the main index page, and clears the unread flags on all threads in the forum, before sending you to the index page.
Handy if only a few threads interest you, and you don't want to have the other threads constantly popping up as unread.

3oneday
23rd November 2005, 10:09 AM
there is now a "Mark all posts as read" link on the top right of the new post search page, as requested by Toolish and 3oneday.  This link acts the same as the "Mark all forums read" link on the bottom left of the main index page, and clears the unread flags on all threads in the forum, before sending you to the index page.
Handy if only a few threads interest you, and you don't want to have the other threads constantly popping up as unread.thank you good sir !!!

:D

BrisVegas
23rd November 2005, 10:38 AM
Vegas' previous suggestion:
A "Posts Since Last Visit" button on every page, not just on the Forum HomePage, would be nice.
In case you haven't noticed, as BV has, there is now a New Posts link at the top and bottom right of the main index, viewforum and viewtopic pages.

In addition to this, there is now a "Mark all posts as read" link .... clears the unread flags on all threads in the forum, before sending you to the index page.
Handy if only a few threads interest you, and you don't want to have the other threads constantly popping up as unread.

It just gets better and better..er! I hadn't even had a chance to complain about that yet either! Are you reading my mind Andy??

AndyP
23rd November 2005, 11:57 AM
I hadn't even had a chance to complain about that yet either!
Complaints get you nowhere.
However, I am open to "suggestions".
:mrgreen:

markTHEblake
23rd November 2005, 01:29 PM
However, I am open to "suggestions".

Ok, lets try this. Sit back, close your eyes and repeat this line in your head 1000 times

'I must obey blakey'

AndyP
31st January 2006, 09:57 AM
I've just changed the view new posts setting to only show the threads that have posts that are actually unread, as opposed to new posts since you last visited. This is very similar to what we had on our previous software via a modification.

If a thread has been marked as unread for 14 days, it will reset to read. Unfortunately, what appears to have happened is that all posts from the last two weeks will now appear to you as unread.

To make posts as read, click on the appropriate link on the bottom of the main forum index.