PDA

View Full Version : Thrivers

Ashes
2nd April 2013, 02:55 PM
Does (or has) anyone played a "thriver" rather than a driver?

Have read a bit on other forums about setting up a high loft (~13-14*) driver at shorter lengths (44" or shorter) which seems to make a bit of sense for choppers.

Sounds to me like they'd be stupid easy to hit with slightly more distance than a 3 wood.

popper81
2nd April 2013, 02:59 PM
Sounds like a brillant idea. I should get one.

LeftyHoges
2nd April 2013, 03:02 PM
Sounds like a brillant idea. I should get one.

Why would you need one?

I do agree that they are a good idea for "struggling" golfers out there.

Pieface
2nd April 2013, 03:05 PM
I have a 12* driver. I still suck :)

AndyP
2nd April 2013, 03:10 PM
Damoocow has a 16* driver in the bag.

popper81
2nd April 2013, 03:10 PM
Why would you need one?

I do agree that they are a good idea for "struggling" golfers out there.

Because when I hit fairways, I shoot scores.... When I miss fairways, I shoot cricket scores.

I hate my three wood, it is a love/hate relationship. When everything is good, I just nail it, but if anything is slightly off it is the first club I start to spray.

I like the concept. It reality I already have a 'thriver'... anyone that has seen me hit driver on a par 3 (and the list is longer than I care to mention) knows I can hit bunt driver.

Dcanto
2nd April 2013, 03:34 PM
It seems like Callaway has something new, which is aimed specifically at those that couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat in the middle of Sydney Harbour.

Check out the specs.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/callaway-golf-versa-driver/

Edit: Scratch that - just read the article all the way through after Courty pointed out it was posted on 1 April. Happy April Fools day to me.

Ferrins
2nd April 2013, 04:38 PM
nudgee gave this a go to no avail.

3Puttpete
2nd April 2013, 04:41 PM
Does (or has) anyone played a "thriver" rather than a driver?

Have read a bit on other forums about setting up a high loft (~13-14*) driver at shorter lengths (44" or shorter) which seems to make a bit of sense for choppers.

Sounds to me like they'd be stupid easy to hit with slightly more distance than a 3 wood.

My current driver is 44.5 and while it's not great, it's certainly much better than it was at 46. Picked up another one the other day and don't know if I want to shorten that immediately or take another inch off the current one to compare apples to apples.

Dotty
2nd April 2013, 04:44 PM
There's a great story on another forum of Virge's 14* Sumo. (It'll be in the archives, as it was about eight years ago.)

I've tried, but couldn't get enough backspin to keep the ball in the air for my already slow clubhead speed, and went back to normal length. (Looked like a great trajectory, but only went as far as a 5w.)

liptout
2nd April 2013, 06:57 PM
I play with 2 drivers in the bag.
One, I've got an R9 set up to play at 12.5*, and tipped the guts out of the stock Motore shaft that came with it and it now plays at 43". (used to play an x-stiff Oban Kiyoshi 3 wood shaft in it before I tipped the driver shaft)

Majority of the time I'll hit somewhere around the 210-220m, but if needed I can get it around the 240 plus mark by hitting a big high draw..

But its straight. Ridiculously straight........ Awesomely straight!!

Daves
2nd April 2013, 07:14 PM
I have contemplated buying a 12* Titty 910, setting it up with a chuck and putting it on the 13.5* setting. The other option is the 910 Fd 3 wood I have. I can tweak down to 14.25* and with the right shaft it is loong.

Ashes
2nd April 2013, 07:14 PM
I play with 2 drivers in the bag.
One, I've got an R9 set up to play at 12.5*, and tipped the guts out of the stock Motore shaft that came with it and it now plays at 43". (used to play an x-stiff Oban Kiyoshi 3 wood shaft in it before I tipped the driver shaft)

Majority of the time I'll hit somewhere around the 210-220m, but if needed I can get it around the 240 plus mark by hitting a big high draw..

But its straight. Ridiculously straight........ Awesomely straight!!

What's your other driver and how far do you hit that?

How does the R9 distance compare to 3 wood?

liptout
2nd April 2013, 07:22 PM
Other driver is a Krank 10.5* (still waiting for my Covert to turn up then the Krank will most likely be on the bench). It goes around 250m odd (gota hit it well mind you) but doesn't launch as high, so does tend to get a fair bit of extra run as well. It just extremely inconsistent, and prob only use it maybe 3 times a round.

Don't use a 3 wood mate. Haven't had one in the bag for years. But had this R9 'driver' set up for maybe 18 months (??).

markTHEblake
2nd April 2013, 07:27 PM
Tried it once and it was crap, went high and nowhere. Much easier to just choke down on the driver.

tommyg
2nd April 2013, 08:45 PM
Ive been thinking about this lately as i very rarely use my 3 wood off the deck and mainly use it off the tee when i want to take bunkers etc out of play, or when my driving is a bit off. Carrying a driver and a thriver instead of a 3 wood makes sense here.....

What was the deal when fat philly-mick was carrying 2 drivers? That wasnt a thriver was it?

Daves
2nd April 2013, 08:47 PM
Ive been thinking about this lately as i very rarely use my 3 wood off the deck and mainly use it off the tee when i want to take bunkers etc out of play, or when my driving is a bit off. Carrying a driver and a thriver instead of a 3 wood makes sense here.....

What was the deal when fat philly-mick was carrying 2 drivers? That wasnt a thriver was it?

Nah, it was so he had a very open faced 2nd driver to hit big cuts with I think. I think the other one may have be a Long Drive type driver set up.

Daves
2nd April 2013, 08:48 PM
Nah, it was so he had a very open faced 2nd driver to hit big cuts with I think. I think the other one may have be a Long Drive type driver set up.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/tours/2006/The_Masters/preview_7.html