PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 21st November

Grunt
21st November 2005, 06:51 PM
Hi all

Played Bardwell Valley for a XMAS day this morning straight after nightshift (tough move after 12 hour nightshift). Played Ok, 32 points Was hitting the R7 awesomely making the par 4's very short! Sadly putting was not up to it with lots of 3 putts, could not handle the slow greens :?

Also got hit :smt021 by a playing partner.On the 13th hole, I was out of his line and he still managed to get me, shanked it!. It was a full blown long iron about 15m from the club I only saw it at the last minute as he called out watch out. A reflex action got my head out of the way and it got me on my bicep then onto my shoulder and over my head :shock: I now have a nice bruise on the bicep, dimple pattern and all :shock:

Oh well I am off this week so a few more games will be played.

Eag's
21st November 2005, 07:38 PM
Bloody hell Grunt :shock: this game is hard enough without your playing partners belting you around :wink:

AndyP
21st November 2005, 11:30 PM
You were probably asking for it, Grunt.

Grunt
22nd November 2005, 07:51 AM

What does that mean AndyP? The guy was an outright beginner. I probably should have got further out of the way but apart from walking to the next fairway what was I to do. the shot that got me was at least 120* offline.

Iain
22nd November 2005, 01:06 PM

What does that mean AndyP? The guy was an outright beginner. I probably should have got further out of the way but apart from walking to the next fairway what was I to do. the shot that got me was at least 120* offline.

I think he was joking Grunt?? He probably just forgot the wink.... :? :?

Tried to play Wantima this morning, but due to storms last night, course was water logged, managed to play about 5 holes (not in the right order either!!) before we came in. Hit the ball well on the holes that were dry enough.....

Iain

AndyP
22nd November 2005, 01:27 PM

I think he was joking Grunt??  He probably just forgot the wink.... :?  :?
Emoticons are overrated.

Grunt
22nd November 2005, 04:37 PM
No offence taken Andy just wanted to know why you thought I was asking for it?

AndyP
22nd November 2005, 04:40 PM
No offence taken Andy just wanted to know why you thought I was asking for it?
Some people you just want to hit the ball at.
Blakey comes to mind.

Grunt
22nd November 2005, 04:42 PM
Wow and I already have that wrap on here.

Fishman Dan
23rd November 2005, 05:52 PM
Time every here read a recent thread on ISG about being struck.

I don't care how sure you are about the player hitting the ball, freak things can happen. Always stand BEHIND a player taking a shot.

Courty
23rd November 2005, 09:54 PM
Well, what a game of contrasts. After putting the lights out on Saturday for my first ever under-par round, today I backed it up with a handy 75. The difference was, I had 36 putts. :? I hit 15 greens in reg, 2-putted 16 times, 3-putted once (for par on a par 4:roll:) and 1-putted just once. I had a double bogey on the very first hole for a wipe, then had 12 straight pars, a bogey and then another 4 pars.
That makes 4 consecutive rounds that I have played under handicap, none worse than 75 and has seen my handicap drop from 7.4 (and I expect to lose another 0.2 from today to be on 5.4)

After having dropped such a large chunk off my handicap in such a short time I am getting really worried. Can I maintain it? :smt102

Only time will tell.

AndyP
23rd November 2005, 10:11 PM

I don't care how sure you are about the player hitting the ball, freak things can happen. Always stand BEHIND a player taking a shot.
I'd like to see you try to redirect people on ISG to a thread here.

I read the topic. Tragic stuff for all concerned.

Grunt
23rd November 2005, 10:17 PM

I'd like to see you try to redirect people on ISG to a thread here.

I read the topic.  Tragic stuff for all concerned.

And a nice bruised Bicep to go with it :oops:

BrisVegas
24th November 2005, 07:53 AM
That makes 4 consecutive rounds that I have played under handicap, none worse than 75 and has seen my handicap drop from 7.4 (and I expect to lose another 0.2 from today to be on 5.4)

Geeezzzuuzzzz Courty, you're on FIRE!! :shock:

Keep it up mate and you'll be off scratch before too long. General consensus is to maintain that level you gotta be spending more time practicing wedges and putting than full swings. As your short game improves, you'll be able to keep putting together good scores no matter how your "ball-striking" is going. Good luck, really happy for you. 8)

Courty
24th November 2005, 11:55 AM

Geeezzzuuzzzz Courty, you're on FIRE!!  :shock:  

Keep it up mate and you'll be off scratch before too long.  General consensus is to maintain that level you gotta be spending more time practicing wedges and putting than full swings.  As your short game improves, you'll be able to keep putting together good scores no matter how your "ball-striking" is going.  Good luck, really happy for you.  8)

Thanks mate. It still scares me, because it has happened so quickly. :shock:
I just checked golflink, and I was right. 5.4 is the new number... 8-[ Sorry Trung

Grunt
24th November 2005, 11:57 AM
Well Done Courty =D>

Matt 3 Jab
24th November 2005, 05:29 PM
ok, here is my chance for you all to give me advice, cause i need it!
just as a background, after a round at bankstown on wednesday i decided to go back a club in the bag, and to hit within myself, which at bankstown worked really well and then a 9 at new brighton after it. flushed it but was 1 club behind what i normaly hit eg 155 metres was a 6 iron, not a 7 iron.
ok, so today, the driver didnt work very well, hit 5/13 fairways, the ones i did hit, 4 were with 2 iron :shock: hit 6 greens all day, now, i know what your saying, "you said you were hitting it great???"
yes i am, because (and here is where i need help) i missed 6 greens within 100 metres :shock: i was going long, short, and right, i had no idea and usually dont, i need help guys!!!
rest of the round 34 putts, usual for me
4/11 up and downs, yea my short game sucks
total score 30 points off a 6 handicap
ok, now ive had my winge, help me guys, any tips from within 100 metres, drills etc??? this is the part of the game where im dying, when i hit my driver well, i can be less that 100 out on maybe 8 or 9 holes, this is bad!!!
thanks in advance!

Virgal_Tracy
24th November 2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks mate. It still scares me, because it has happened so quickly.
I just checked golflink, and I was right. 5.4 is the new number... Sorry Trung

IS that the first time that anyone has apologised to Trung. Ever. About anything.

BrisVegas
24th November 2005, 07:27 PM
ok, now ive had my winge, help me guys, any tips from within 100 metres, drills etc??? this is the part of the game where im dying, when i hit my driver well, i can be less that 100 out on maybe 8 or 9 holes, this is bad!!!
thanks in advance!
when you find out..... please let me know too. :roll: :lol:  Like you I tend to struggle with my wedge game, mainly from a ball striking point of view due to poor technique.

Assuming you've got the crisp, "trapping" technique needed to hit better wedges,... the only clinic I've been to in years pushed home the idea of knowing EXACTLY your distances with 1/2, 3/4 and full swings with all your wedges.  And make sure you have a consistent tempo by making the follow through same distance as the backswing, ie.
Picturing these swings on a clockface - 9 to 3 (1/2), 10 to 2 (3/4) and 11 to 1 (full).  

Say you've got 3 wedges, ie. 48, 56 and 60, you might end up with a set of numbers like this:-

48 deg - 60, 85, 105
56 deg - 50, 75, 90
60 deg - 40, 55, 70

This gives you 9 distances you can count on when you're inside 100 and you also have a couple of overlaps so you can choose a higher/lower trajectory and spin depending on the situation.  I even went so far as to write all these distances down on a laminated card and carry around with me.  I know it seems kinds silly, but somehow the mental cue of KNOWING a 3/4 SW goes 75 metres is great for your confidence...  8)

Matt 3 Jab
24th November 2005, 08:33 PM
wow, thats great advice, i might even do that tomoz morning
thanks heaps, ill let you know how i go 8)
i have my 48, 52 and 57
so ill make sure to try all at 1/2, 3/4 and full

Courty
24th November 2005, 10:37 PM
Something I found that used to plague my wedge game, especially touchy stuff around the green is this: make sure when you are playing those 'feel' shots inside 120 or so, you still turn your shoulders. I found myself swinging only with the arms. Maybe I was subconciously making sure I didn't fly it over the green, but instead I would hit it fat or thin or with generally poor timing. Now I concentrate on making a smooth movement with my shoulders, keeping my wrists and hands out of it.

Just my 2 cents worth. :?

Matt 3 Jab
25th November 2005, 11:13 AM
thanks courty, while i was at the range today my old coach saw me, i asked some advice and he said that i was getting too wristy, need to go back like normal and then lock the wrists on the way down and feel like im sort of making a blocking swing, it might sound bad but it started to work and they were crisp, now to take my 3 pieces of advice (know my distances exactly, keep the wrists quiet on the way down and make a smooth swing) and go rip the greens up, and practice till the cows come home, damn rain today!

Grunt
25th November 2005, 01:00 PM
Played this morning with Jono & Andrew for 37 points.
Very wet after completing the round, more in the 1st tee thread, very happy with my ball striking today and my putting was on the ball.

Courty
25th November 2005, 01:05 PM
thanks courty

No problems. I'll post the invoice... :wink:

Courty
26th November 2005, 01:04 PM
Played in the comp this morning. My game was a bit scratchy, especially my chipping, but I still managed to drag home a 76 for 37pts. Shot of the day was a 5-iron to 8 feet on the par 5 18th (2nd shot). Typically, I missed the eagle putt. :roll:

I'm reconsidering swapping shafts in my drivers. The R510TP with Fujikura Tour Platform 27.3 is not as long as the other one, but DAMN it is straight. I'm definitely leaning towards keeping the Fuji in the TP for now.

Fishman Dan
26th November 2005, 04:09 PM
Started in a deluge, ended in 30* heat. Tough out there today.

Scratched around for a net 1-over (66). Costly penalties and a couple of yippy putts, and couldn't get the ball close enough around the greens. First game for a couple of weeks, so happy to play poorly and post that score.

McMw
28th November 2005, 01:48 PM
won yesterday with a 72... :D
course was soggy like crazy from the downpour the night before...

hit 13greens, despite only hitting 3fairways, and missed 2 2.5footers for pars on the back nine... :roll:

courty - u've got the tour platform 27.3...I've got the 26.3 in my driver...
know what the difference is???
I'm sure I hit my 9.5º with the Exsar60 longer than this 10.5º combo...(and probably straighter) but I'm liking the firmish feel of the shaft...

Courty
28th November 2005, 02:14 PM
courty - u've got the tour platform 27.3...I've got the 26.3 in my driver...
know what the difference is???

Shaft: Tour Platform 26.3
Flex: Stiff
Weight: 67 grams
Tip Flex: 115
Butt flex: 83
Torque: 3.8
Bend point: Mid
Launch: High
Spin: Mid

Shaft: Tour Platform 27.3
Flex: Stiff
Weight: 72 grams
Tip Flex: 110
Butt flex: 82
Torque: 3.8
Bend point: Mid
Launch: High
Spin: Low

This shaft (27.3) doesn't have the zing that my Rifle Graphite does and as a consequence is 10-15m shorter, but as long as I put a half-decent swing on it, the damn thing goes like an arrow. Hence, more fairways hit. Likely a big factor in my recent handicap decline.

McMw
28th November 2005, 05:49 PM
cheers courty...
don't think I can handle the 27.3... :D

good week tho, despite being busy with work!!! :(
38/36/75/72... 8)

AndyP
30th November 2005, 04:28 PM
26/11/05, Lakelands GC, OZgolf Day

7/14 effective T-shots.
3/18 effective approaches.
36 putts.
6 shots lost due to penalties.
----------------
4 pars
8 bogeys
3 doubles
3 others
Score 10-16-26pts.

Couldn't seem to find any consistency on the day. I scrambled around the front nine, before falling in a heap at the end of it. The lowlight coming on the ninth when I had to chip back behind the ladies tees for my 2nd shot.
Started to find some rhythm at the start of the back nine, before a couple of balls in the water stopped the momentum.
I think I was hitting it better than the score indicates, but I had some pretty bad holes as well.

27/11/05, Cool-Tweed GC (River), OZgolf Champs

10/14 effective T-shots.
8/18 effective approaches.
36 putts.
5 shots lost due to penalties.
-----------------
10 pars
2 bogeys
3 doubles
3 others
Score 45-44-89, 31pts (Par 36-36-72)

Best round with the driver since I changed the swing. Most greens I have hit in ages. Plenty of pars. But once again, the score doesn't reflect how well I think I played. I got big-time penalised whenever I played a bad shot, including a lost ball that wasn't really that far off line.
One of my best holes was the 12th where I hit a great driver up the hill, then a 9I into the wind that was about 6 ft short of the pin on line. Unfortunately Trungie stole the NTP off me.
It would be great if I could hit the ball like I did for this round more often.

27/11/05, Cool-Tweed GC (West-front 9), OZgolf Champs

1 par
5 bogeys
2 doubles
Score 46 (par 36)

Driver didn't perform as well as it did on the River course, and found the course to be too long for my game. Especially in the windy conditions. Don't have the other stats, because I can't remember a couple of holes on the course (2nd & 5th), but would have only had 1 effective approach. Might want to forget that I played the west course this weekend. Nothing encouraging to take out of it.

BrisVegas
30th November 2005, 09:47 PM
Sat AM - Brookwater from the tips. 100.... Lots of pars and lots of triples and quads.... Struggled

SAT PM - Lakelands. 86.... Played about the same as I did at Brookwater, but Lakelands is much more forgiving on wayward shots. Prob should have had 4-5 better but chipped and putted like a mong.

Sun AM - CTH River. 85.... Struggled for first 9 with headache and nausea, but hit it ok on the back 9. Again, struggled with chipping and putting. Left a stack of putts short. Lots of greens in reg that resulted in bogeys.

Sun PM - CTH West. +2 thru 12.... Chipped a little better and got some putts to drop. Made 3 or 4 birdies, but had a couple of doubles still... Was really hitting the ball well, tee to green. This is how I feel I should play all the time.. :wink: