PDA

View Full Version : Sydney trip with kids

bergsey
24th March 2013, 11:48 AM
Thinking of going to Sydney with the family in April (boys 6 and 3 yrs)

I've only ever stayed in the CBD or in / around darling harbour.

Other than the zoo, any must see family stuff and better to base in the city or north/south ?

mrbluu
24th March 2013, 11:58 AM
The aquarium in Darling Harbour

mudrat
24th March 2013, 12:04 PM
Luna park is good. They may be a but young for it?

PerryGroves
24th March 2013, 01:45 PM
Thinking of going to Sydney with the family in April (boys 6 and 3 yrs)

I've only ever stayed in the CBD or in / around darling harbour.

Other than the zoo, any must see family stuff and better to base in the city or north/south ?

Not much on the northside and nothing in the southern suburbs, Zoo is an easy ferry ride from the city.

I live here so it's hard to think where I would stay, would probably try and rent an apartment a couple of kms from the city, maybe Double Bay/Rose Bay in the east, Balmain in the inner west and Kirribilli/Mcmahons Point just across the bridge on the north side. You probably dont want to be too far from town for transport however if you rent an apartment a car is the best option to get around, especially with kids.

mike
24th March 2013, 02:43 PM
Medina @ Darling Harbour. Great place to stay. Central to everything.

Tongueboy
24th March 2013, 04:38 PM
Bass Hill. Best Kebabs in Sydney

matty
24th March 2013, 04:41 PM
Lakemba for a cultural experience.

mudrat
24th March 2013, 05:02 PM
Bass Hill. Best Kebabs in Sydney Adams kebabs?, sadly the building is no longer there.....

Tongueboy
24th March 2013, 05:11 PM
fair dinkum! bloody awesome kebabs. what happened to the joint muddy?

mudrat
24th March 2013, 05:29 PM
I dunno the building has been demolished, unsure if they are going to be rebuilding Even worse is they use to home deliver which was very convenient :-), I'm on the lookout for a new kebab joint.

Tongueboy
24th March 2013, 05:39 PM
well Bass Hill can be taken off the places to see in Sydney list.

Daves
24th March 2013, 06:01 PM
If the boys were older you could take them to see the White Pointers at Bondi.

Monsta
25th March 2013, 10:15 AM
Check whats on at the Powerhouse Museum Bergsey, they have some interesting exhibits from time to time

backintheswing
25th March 2013, 10:20 AM
Out at Homebush, there is lots to do for kids. Massive parks and climbing equipment, tandem bike hire, train rides, segways for the adults. I took my kids there in November.

wazandnic
25th March 2013, 10:27 AM
Yeah as mentioned above, for 6&3 year olds (simialr ages to my boys) Aquarium is good, surprisingly to us so is the Wildlife centre next door. The little kids like it anyway and not as hard to walk around as the zoo.

Powerhouse museum good, 6 year old should like it anyway.

A trip up the Sydney Tower is pretty eye opening for them and can kill an hour or so. Watch a 4D movie when you go in which is pretty cool.

A trip to the fish markets good for some lunch, you can catch a tram straight there.

A ferry to Manly or out to Watsons Bay for some fish and chips always a good option. Or even a bus trip to Bondi, the days and water should still be warmish especially for kids to have a splash.. and perhaps the odd white pointer for you to enjoy!

The indoor aquatic park at Home bush is good fun (prob about a 30min train trip straight there from the city). Bicentennial Park near there also has some great playgrounds... I know in recent times we have based how good a holiday was by how many and how good the playgrounds were... Sad but gives a chance for a rest & to have a coffee! ;)

Anyway a few options there... hope it helps.

Cheers,
Waz

bergsey
25th March 2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info guys great stuff

mike
25th March 2013, 02:41 PM
Re Powerhouse Museum.
Me and son #2 loved it, missus and son #1 were bored shitless. Depends on what you're into I guess. Boys were 17 and 13 at the time.

Sydney Tower is awesome. I never get sick of it.

Darling Harbour, plenty to do and see.

Ferry trip is a must.

Dragons games suck.

CBD is without equal in Australia for shopping.