PDA

View Full Version : Concord Open Day December 29 1 group at 9.30am (closed)

jimandr
18th November 2005, 07:39 PM
According to a small story in todays paper, Concord will be holding an Open Day on Thursday 29 December.

Concord is the sort of place where opportunities to get a game do not come up very often.

It's six weeks away, and a lot can happen between now and then, but if anybody else is interested I might give them a call and try to book a group.

Any takers?

Grunt
18th November 2005, 08:13 PM
I will join you Jim, I am off then. Wasn't one of our QLD brothers down here then too? Would be a good one for a visitor to play one of our more exclusive courses.

AndyP
18th November 2005, 08:27 PM
Wasn't one of our QLD brothers down here then too? Would be a good one for a visitor to play one of our more exclusive courses.
Good pick up, Grunt. davemason is down there over the New Year break. You should send him a PM to see if he wants in. An opportunity like that would be hard to pass up.

Virgal_Tracy
18th November 2005, 09:58 PM
Put me down as definetely considering this. Depends on what the familyu does over XMAS.

Andrew
19th November 2005, 07:42 AM
I'm interested as well, Jim.

Davemason
20th November 2005, 07:12 PM
I'm in for this one
As I'm staying around that area be a sinch to get too
Let me know the details

jimandr
20th November 2005, 10:14 PM
I'll give Concord a call on Monday, and I'll post here in the evening with whatever the story is.

With Vince's 'definite maybe' not enough of a commitment I'll book myself, Dave Mason, Andrew and Grunt if they are taking bookings. Vince may be able to get a 2nd group together.

Jono
20th November 2005, 10:35 PM
Jim,

When you call them, you might want to find out the green fee as well. When I played there as a visitor, it was $75. My guess is that the open day might be a bit more expensive. Concord is a true Grade 1 course with fantastic greens, but the cost might be an issue with some.

miro
21st November 2005, 08:43 AM
Jim,

You can count me and my wife as definites.

Would be a good xmas sign off for the ozgolf sydney team.

jimandr
21st November 2005, 10:29 PM
One group is booked, under my name, for 9.30am.

The other important detail, as predicted by Jono, is that the cost for the day is $95.00 per player.

I'm prepared to pay this as a one off opportunity to play a top 50 course. I must say that from beyond the gallery ropes Concord doesn't impress me greatly, but it has a very good reputation, and may look much better from the fairways (or the rough/trees).

When I called (1.00pm) the guy said there were only about '4 or 5' tee times available for the morning. He offered me 8.20 or 9.30. Naturally I took the later one.

He said there were quite a few spots much later in the day.

Can I suggest to Miro or Vince that they call again tomorrow on 9743-0265 to try and get another group booked. There is clearly enough interest (unless my news of the fee scares some away).

He didn't take individual names, only mine. He also took my phone contact and credit card details and said I would be debited a 'deposit' a bit later on.

Andrew
21st November 2005, 10:54 PM
Not a second thought.

Thanks for making the booking Jim. Are we to expect another 42 points from you like at New Brighton.

jimandr
21st November 2005, 11:31 PM
If I were to record 42 points at Concord, that would be even par off my current handicap, and Concord's reputation as a course suitable for tournaments would be ruined :shock: .  There is no way that I should be able to shoot par around a top class course.

If I have a good day on the greens I'd be overjoyed with 36pts.

You, on the other hand, would no doubt be expecting at least one hole-in-one, and possibly two.  I can't properly recall Concord's three's, but if you can master the 6th at NSW in 1, they should be a cinch 8)

Davemason
21st November 2005, 11:41 PM
One group is booked, under my name, for 9.30am.

The other important detail, as predicted by Jono, is that the cost for the day is $95.00 per player.

Even though it would be a great opportunity to play this course but @ $95 for the day it is just out reach for my budget.

So sadly I'm out :cry:

But I do hope to play with some of you guy while I'm down there.

Grunt
22nd November 2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks Jim I am still in, hopefully will have another game with you Dave in your stay down here.

amanda
23rd November 2005, 08:09 AM
Damn - sounds like a fantastic opportunity - unfortunately I will still be in Africa - have a great time - we want pictures!

jimandr
18th December 2005, 09:54 PM
I'd better bring this topic back to life.

There is still one place available.

I suspect the club will ring me this week to confirm the booking. I'd be much happier if I could say that I have a full four player group ready and capable of bringing the course to its knees :roll:

miro
19th December 2005, 09:06 AM
Jim,

If you have a drop out the Wife and I will take the remaining place and the dropout. Otherwise enjoy the day.

Miro

jimandr
21st December 2005, 10:26 PM
The silence from all players (except Miro) tells me no other Ozgolfer can fill the spot.

So I have invoked organiser's rights and invited one of my non-internet colleagues to join us. The spot is now closed.

Miro, hopefully we will catch up on 7 January at Macarthur Grange. So far we've managed to avoid each other.

Concord still hasn't called me to confirm. When/if they do, I'll click the confirm button at the top. They haven't debited anything off my credit card, which must be a good thing. If I've heard nothing by Friday, I'll assume the game is on at the time advertised.

I'm off the internet air, enjoying the 39degree Xmas air of Narrabri from 24 to 27 December. I doubt if they'd call me during Xmas.

Grunt
27th December 2005, 12:03 PM
See you all Wednesday, Hopefully I will get my golf game back tomorrow @ Kogarah. If not I am not looking forward to playing as badly as I have been lately, could be a new ozgolf low score record. :?

Grunt
28th December 2005, 02:42 PM
Jim

Any extras included for the $95? ie. carts, lunch anything?
It is not changing if I am coming just wondering what to expect.

TS
28th December 2005, 03:50 PM
Jim

Any extras included for the $95? ie. carts, lunch anything?
It is not changing if I am coming just wondering what to expect.

Hi Grant

I had played the same game in the past, the $95 include game and lunch, but no cart.

jimandr
28th December 2005, 11:02 PM
Concord haven't called me to confirm the booking, and I haven't called them.

I'm not expecting any extras for my $95. If I get anything I'll treat it as a bonus.

Weather forecast is Ok, partly cloudy, top of 29. I would prefer to walk the course, so this shouldn't be hot enough to force me to get a cart.

I should get there (with my mate George from Bankstown) about 9.00, maybe earlier if traffic is light.

Trung
29th December 2005, 10:40 AM
just got a call from my mate...

"Trung, your playing at Concord at 12.28pm"....

Boys, gonna be a hot afternoon :shock:

Grunt
29th December 2005, 03:56 PM
Boys, gonna be a hot afternoon  :shock: Definitely Was not Hot golf in our group, some highlights in my round see my how did you play thread.

jimandr
29th December 2005, 05:28 PM
I note that Grunt has left it to me to describe the day.  Weather was hot, golf was cold.  There are three Ozgolfers not in love with the game right now.

Jimandr 28
Grunt 25
Andrew 23 points.

There was an element of losing interest among all of us at various times during the round.

Until the sea breeze sprung up about the 12th, it was very warm, all day it was exceptionally slow (about 5hr 45 in total), and the course wasn't giving us much encouragement.  Many poor shots were played, and just about all of them were penalised.

I'm still not thrilled with Concord as a golfing venue.  It wasn't easy, and it hurt our scores whenever we hit bad shots, but it wasn't a particularly difficult course to play, and didn't really require much imagination.  Many of the par 3's and par 4's are similar length, and a lot of the greens look the same, with bunkers left and right, and a slightly elevated landing area.

The fact that 15 was shortened to a par 4, and 17 to a par 3 didn't improve our mood much.  Not really value for our $95 i'm afraid.

The course was in terrific condition though, as you would expect.

Highlights? not many i'm afraid.  Grunt had a great birdie on 6, I recorded an enjoyable birdie on 13.  That was about it.  Oh, and we saw Trung :lol:

Back to the drawing board, then the practice fairway, for all of us.

Grunt
29th December 2005, 05:44 PM
Would have to back Jim in the difficulty statement, I think if I could have got consistently off the tee I could have carved it up & any golfer of better ability would have. Slowplay was not the word, 3 groups on the 2nd tee set the day :?

Things that Jim did not report on: Jim's mate, George nearly was killed as we played the 6th by another group playing the adjacent 10th hole lacking golf ettiquette(sic). He actually handled the situation quite well just walking away.
Jim his dipping of the cap to the gallery on the last hole as he nailed a putt of about 15-20 feet for birdie (I think it was a birdie).

Nothing much else of note happened on the day, thanks Jim for organising a day at a course that I would not have thought of getting on to play.

Jono
30th December 2005, 01:30 AM
Sounds like you guys had a tough day. :( Hot weather and slow play ... a lethal combination. I don't think you can blame the course though, especially if the condition of the greens were like when I played there. Quick with lots of subtle undulations but very true rolling. I guess it's a course that punishes bad shots, but you would expect that from a championship course. Not the prettiest course (say comparing to NSW) but nevertheless a course that requires you to plan your shots and play well to score well.

Almost a 6 hour round ... Makes me nauseous just thinking about it. :x

Andrew
30th December 2005, 08:32 AM
Almost a 6 hour round ... Makes me nauseous just thinking about it.  :x

And that was with the 15th (normally a par 5) made into a par 4 & the 17th (normally a par 4) made into a par 3. If those 2 holes would have been at full length it would have been easily over 6 hours.

Jim mentioned how we lost interest. When we got back to the clubhouse after the 8th & the other guys told me it had taken almost 3 hours to play 8, whatever interest I had dissipated immediately, even though I was only 1 down (stableford) at that stage.

Apart from the work areas, the course is always in good condition & the work done over the last 10 years is quite good.

Trung
30th December 2005, 03:24 PM
Highlights? .........Oh, and we saw Trung :lol:

Trungie with the WOW factor? :?

Good to meet Andrew in person for the first time (or maybe 2nd...).. I had 29 points myself.... Hitting the ball solid, not where I want it to go.. :twisted:

Andrew
30th December 2005, 09:17 PM
Trung, it was nice to meet you as well. Unfortunately, when I saw you all I could think was, "Damn, 3 hours to play 8 holes. What am I doing here." So I wasn't my friendly, chatty self. Hopefully I will be in a better mood next time.