PDA

View Full Version : Mmmm... surround sound

Courty
17th November 2005, 08:46 PM
I took the missus to Hardly Normal on the weekend to buy some Ice-cream making machine she wanted. After half-an-hour of reading the manual, she decided it all seemed like too much hard work, as there some of the ingredients had to be cooked first (for $300, you would want it to do everything for you :roll: ). Anyhow, to cut a long story short, an hour later we walked out with quite a few large boxes. We bought a component home theatre system. It consists of a Yamaha Receiver (http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv657.html) and an Accusound Speaker package (OM800 series - halfway down the page) (http://www.accusound.com.au/omega.html). I know Accusound aren't the greatest speakers, but for $1500 for the lot, I'm not complaining, and they do sound pretty good. I also went out & bought an Airport Express (http://www.apple.com/au/airportexpress/) to play all my music from the computer over a wireless network. Works like a charm.

It's taken me a few days to get it all setup , but it's firing on all cylinders now. I'm planning on hiring a few blockbusting DVD's on the weekend to test it out... any suggestions for a movie spectacle?

Grunt
17th November 2005, 09:11 PM
Pearl Harbour, all the original star wars,indiana jones are good. Willhave a think about itand let you know if i can think of any others

markTHEblake
17th November 2005, 09:27 PM
This thread is worthless without the specs of the Amp.

As for DVD's Fast and the Furious is pretty good, but whatever you get, check out the Superbit version, just dont close any windows.

Choppa
17th November 2005, 09:34 PM
You simply can't go past "The Fifth Element" for testing out your surround sound. I think that is still the best on I have watched. Although I haven't watched any animated DVD's. I suspect they would be good too.

Courty
17th November 2005, 09:39 PM
This thread is worthless without the specs of the Amp

It consists of a Yamaha Receiver (this is a link to the manufacturers site) (http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv657.html)

:roll:

But for those tekenogikaly challenged:

7-channel 945W powerful surround sound (135W x 7 Max)
Digital ToP-ART and High Current Amplification
YPAO for automatically optimizing the sound in your room
Pure Direct for high quality sound two-channl or multi-channel reproduction
On-screen display
Component video up conversion (full)
Surround back power-amp assignable (for presence channels)
Dialogue Lift for enhanced dialogue sound output
Quad-Field CINEMA DSP and 14 surround programs
Night Listening Enhancer (Cinema/Music) and SILENT CINEMA
8-channel external decoder input
6 digital (4 optical and 2 coaxial) inputs
Preset remote control unit
192 kHz/24-bit DAC for all channels
Selectable 9-band subwoofer crossover / Subwoofer phase select
Dolby Pro Logic llx and DTS 96/24 compatibility
Audio Delay for lip sync (0-160 ms)
Speaker A, B A+B Selection (via remote unit)

markTHEblake
17th November 2005, 10:45 PM
Yeah, i always scroll the mouse over plaiin text just in case there is a hyperlink in there somewhere. (stupid forum)

Great Amp, i have the V620. Its older but so much better cos its black.

I'd be interested to know what happens if you connect up using Optical cables for audio. I find the sound is much better but the volume is very low. Have to turn it right up, but if i forget and switch back to something else the neigbours cat freaks out.

Courty
17th November 2005, 10:50 PM
Great Amp, i have the V620.  Its older but so much better cos its black.
I'd be interested to know what happens if you connect up using Optical cables for audio.  I find the sound is much better but the volume is very low. Have to turn it right up, but if i forget and switch back to something else the neigbours cat freaks out.

Mine is black also. I wanted silver to match the DVD/ VCR/ TV but they didn't have any at the time.
I haven't got anything connected via optical at the moment. I will be investing in some new cables shortly though.

goughy
17th November 2005, 11:19 PM
I second the Fifth Element. First dvd we bought, and someone must have been on steriods while mixing the surround on it. Out of this world.

markTHEblake
18th November 2005, 01:12 AM
[
I haven't got anything connected via optical at the moment. I will be investing in some new cables shortly though.

pls let me know what happens when you do - am very interested.

BrisVegas
18th November 2005, 08:34 AM
Fifth Element, U571, Dances With Wolves DTS ( :shock: ), Fleetwood Mac Dance Reunion concert, and any Star Wars are all good for "showing off".

My first set of speakers when I started working were Accusounds. Big, no make that HUGE, room shakers!! Actually i believe they were in choppa's family for a while there too.. I had no complaints with them.

Electronics are so good these days, you can't really go wrong no matter what you buy. Good luck with your setup, hope you get lots of mileage out of it all. 8)

Virgal_Tracy
18th November 2005, 08:41 AM
Agree with U 571 but need a really good sub to make it worthwhile. A good one we have found is Black Hawk Down. Anything that shakes the fillings out has to be good.

Also have the Yamaha V670. Great set up.

Jarro
18th November 2005, 08:52 AM
another V670 user here :smt023 .... might be time to upgrade soon though after seeing what else is out there :roll:

Virgal_Tracy
18th November 2005, 10:42 AM
At this stage ... If it ain't bnroke don't fix it.

I know there is plenty of new stuff out there but I love my system.

Gladiator is also good with the surround with the chariots moving behind you around the room.

Trung
18th November 2005, 11:13 AM
AUDIO ELECTRONICS :shock:

Ok, my turn the bragggggggs. Here we go, here we go, here we go..

I installed a 7.1 system in the house when most people have not even heard of 5.1 is let alone 6.1 and then 7.1 8)

7x Bose speakers plus an active Bose sub for audio.

As for my main engine(x2), I have two amps running to drive all 8 speakers :wink: .

I believe in the best, THX EX for me. 8)

BrisVegas
18th November 2005, 11:25 AM
AUDIO ELECTRONICS  :shock:

Ok, my turn the bragggggggs. Here we go, here we go, here we go..

I installed a 7.1 system in the house when most people have not even heard of 5.1 is let alone 6.1 and then 7.1  8)

7x Bose speakers plus an active Bose sub for audio.

As for my main engine(x2), I have two amps running to drive all 8 speakers  :wink: .

I believe in the best, THX EX for me.  8)

is there much material out there with "discrete" 7.1 yet ? I know plenty of amps manufacture 6.1 and 7.1 from standard Dolby digital source, but wasn't aware that either format had really gotten much momentum yet.

I've got 6.1 in my home theatre just in case. I don't see the point in 7.1. All I need now is a projector, curtains, seats, new subwoofer, a 6th speaker, etc. etc.... :lol:

Trung
18th November 2005, 11:36 AM
Vegas, that why I need 2 amps to drive it all :wink:

Its a 6.1 amp with 2 rear back RCA outputs for expansion to 7.1.
I got another amp for the 2 rear back speakers.

Courty
18th November 2005, 11:44 AM
 I don't see the point in 7.1.

When we built the house, we got all the wiring put in the walls for the rear speakers in the TV room and for the outdoor speakers (including external volume control) on the patio. I particularly wanted a 7.1 amp so I had 2 channels dedicated to the outdoor speakers (not installed as yet).

All I need now is a projector, curtains, seats, new subwoofer, a 6th speaker, etc. etc....  :lol:

:P :lol:

BrisVegas
18th November 2005, 11:46 AM
Vegas, that why I need 2 amps to drive it all :wink:

Its a 6.1 amp with 2 rear back RCA outputs for expansion to 7.1.
I got another amp for the 2 rear back speakers.

My question was actually whether there are any 7.1 DVD's available yet. I remember following 5.1's development and it's really gotten into mainstream now. I didn't realise 6.1 or 7.1 had been adopted by the movie makers yet.

I know amps have been able to support 6 or 7 full range speakers for a while now, or even more by having additional amps etc. But unless the source material (ie. the DVD or HD TV) has 6 or 7 discrete channels of material on it, the extra channels are produced by blending other channels, kinda like how Pro-logic worked.

Trung
18th November 2005, 11:56 AM
Look out for DVD with

THX EX 7.1
DTS ES 7.1

Quality is far superior..

I got a few movies from usa, they have a good selection of 7.1 DVDs over there.

Choppa
18th November 2005, 12:09 PM
My first set of speakers when I started working were Accusounds.  Big, no make that HUGE, room shakers!!  Actually i believe they were in choppa's family for a while there too..

And they are still floating around somewhere in my family too.

jaster
18th November 2005, 12:25 PM
Alright..all time Favs for sound...

Terminator 2 (how did anyone miss this??)
Diehard 1 (just for the plane landing at the start alone!!)
BHD - fantastic atmosphere..sound makes it a very ominous movie IMO
Starwars..all 6 ;)!!

Trung
18th November 2005, 12:36 PM

I have the US version with THX EX 8)

jaster
18th November 2005, 12:43 PM
So do I :P Pity I don't have digital THX :( :lol:

BrisVegas
18th November 2005, 12:44 PM

I have the US version with THX EX  8)

ahh, with 480P resolution!! Gotta say i'm glad we live in Aus with our 576P DVD's!! 8)

Trung
18th November 2005, 01:11 PM
:twisted:

Courty
18th November 2005, 01:14 PM
I must say, The Fifth Element did spring to mind when I was trying to think of some good movies to test it out...

BHD... huh? :?

Choppa
18th November 2005, 01:30 PM
And to test your sub, get Jumanji. The part where they discover the Lion in the house. Well before you can hear the lion growl on the TV, the sub starts rumbling. It's awesome.

jaster
18th November 2005, 01:34 PM
I must say, The Fifth Element did spring to mind when I was trying to think of some good movies to test it out...

BHD... huh? :?

Sorry mate...black hawk down...me=number 1 fan of that movie!!! Still makes me cry watching it...super super stuff :oops:

drunken
18th November 2005, 02:29 PM

I have the US version with THX EX  8)

ahh, with 480P resolution!!  Gotta say i'm glad we live in Aus with our 576P DVD's!!  8)

You mean 480i & 576i??? No proggresive scan dvds released as yet...However buy a dvd player that outputs interlaced as progressive scan & your gunna be happy...If you have a HD TV/Monitor of course  :wink:

I've only got a Sony system setup in my room, looking at building a HTPC & putting an LCD in as well....this baby looks good, very very tempting with the special price and included keyboard & mouse....
http://dellstore04.dell.com.au/public/cart/configurator.jsp?prd_id=414546&sr_no=4

Trung
18th November 2005, 02:36 PM
If you have a HD TV/Monitor of course  :wink:

so you pulled the plug on the Dell :wink:

drunken
18th November 2005, 02:37 PM
If you have a HD TV/Monitor of course  :wink:

so you pulled the plug on the Dell  :wink:

Look at the edited post above trungy :wink:

markTHEblake
18th November 2005, 04:07 PM
The dell link no work.

Not sure why you would want to buy a Dell box anyway. Pretty sure you could knock up your own fancy HTPC for about $600
all you really need is a Digital Tuner/Capture card, a basic Video adaptor with DVI output (they all have that now right) and a $15 sound card with Spdif Out

drunken
18th November 2005, 05:00 PM
No no..The link was for a 24" LCD monitor. I'm building my own HTPC, got an old system that I'll have a play with. If that doesn't work than I might just have to build with all new parts :wink:

markTHEblake
18th November 2005, 05:27 PM
Ive only got a p3-733 in my HTPC,  goes fine.  Just a bit noisy though.

(I thought golfer69 would be all over this thread)

Ducky
18th November 2005, 07:19 PM
I've only got a Sony system setup in my room, looking at building a HTPC & putting an LCD in as well....this baby looks good, very very tempting with the special price...
I have the Dell 2405FPW. That 'special price' (~$1400) has been like that for a long time. I got mine for $1350 around one month ago, and the price is likely not to drop until Acer releases their 24" widescreen LCD.

drunken
18th November 2005, 07:32 PM
Did yours include a wireless keyboard & mouse???

Ducky
18th November 2005, 09:36 PM
No, but then again I didn't spend an extra $120 on supposedly "free" gifts. The Dell peripherals aren't all that great, I would much prefer to put the $120 towards a Logitech mouse/keyboard set with a recharge dock.

drunken
19th November 2005, 07:31 AM
Yeah I know  :wink:  I'm going for the new Logitech G& Cordless Mouse G15 Keyboard  :lol:

Ducky by the way how do you find the monitor? I'm planning on using it for my HTPC as well as using the component, svideo & composite inputs to run PS2 etc.

Courty
19th November 2005, 05:12 PM
You simply can't go past "The Fifth Element" for testing out your surround sound. I think that is still the best on I have watched.

Just bought myself a copy this afternoon. 8)

Although I haven't watched any animated DVD's. I suspect they would be good too.

I have seen 'Final Fantasy'. Man, that animation is awesome. I had to keep reminding myself that is was a 'cartoon' :shock:

goughy
19th November 2005, 06:20 PM
Fifth element was the dvd robyn and I walked out of HN with when we bought our dvd player. Still love that movie. The hostage scene on the bridge of the cruise ship is just one of my fav's of all time. I still cry laughing at that. How ver sad.

Only worried about 5.1 sound for my house. Our lounge is only 3.5mtrs wide so we're sitting on a wall and not far from the tv. No way to get the rear speakers far enough behind us to work well. But when we extended I did run cables for the left and right surround, then went and built all my own speakers. If anyone's interested I can post the details/scans/photos of all the stuff I built. I'm happy witht he sound for what was spent, and I enjoyed doing it. And I am no tech head - that's for sure.

My only let down is the centre speaker - I was very limited in the position of it and that limited the dimensions I could build it. It does nice clear speach etc, but when playing a dvd concert it just dosen't cut it. I have to switch to phantom centre channel to get the sound right. Also, I'm still using a pro-logic amp, so my sub is taking it's sound from the front left and right.

One day I'll get my denon amp, nothing expensive but does what I want it to do in a proce range I can afford.

Ducky
19th November 2005, 08:40 PM
Ducky by the way how do you find the monitor? I'm planning on using it for my HTPC as well as using the component, svideo & composite inputs to run PS2 etc.
For the 'Playstation 2' I would not recommend it, as the only game to support high definition resolutions on the 'Playstation 2' is 'Grand Turismo 4' (as far as I am aware). In which case, you would have two solutions: scaling or fixed aspect (which will only cover a portion of the screen).

For gaming (especially on fast paced games) the 16ms response can be disappointing, as the ghosting and blurring will become evident. However, for the large majority of games it is barely noticeable. The big test for this monitor will be when my 'Xbox 360' arrives, as the 'Xbox 360' is designed specifically for high definition resolutions.

For design purposes, being able to run Photoshop and Illustrator in a large resolution (1920x1200 is native) without requiring two monitors is handy, and the colour reproduction is excellent for an LCD monitor.

As you would probably already know from taking a look at the Dell website, you have five inputs (D-SUB, DVI-D, S-Video, Composite, and Component). The downfall of this is that you are required to switch the inputs via a button on the monitor, which isn't going to be convenient if you have a media centre. If they [Dell] haven't already got a remote control accessory, they should definitely create one.

Nothing else comes close at $1400. Like previously mentioned, Acer are supposedly bringing out a 24" widescreen LCD with 8ms response time next year. So depending on the urgency of the purchase, it may be worth while holding out until then.