PDA

View Full Version : Golf: The mental game

AndyP
23rd June 2004, 10:41 AM
I had a round with a friend, who played off 9 (but has just came back from Japan after 3 years, and not much golf), at Northlakes.

I got off to a great start with two quadruple bogeys to give him an early lead, but neither of us could consistently play that well, and the lead went back and forth with up to six shot swings on holes (my 2 to his 8 on a par 3). :shock:
I was spraying my drives into the bush left and right, was woeful from bunkers and struggling in general, playing all sorts of duff shots.

Anywho, after my quintuple bogey on the 13th, we realised that I was only up by one shot with five to play, and he had already been playing well on the back nine.

GAME ON!

Out of nowhere I start playing golf. My drives are going dead straight, I am hitting some of my irons at the pin, and playing really well. I am feeling comfortable over the ball, as opposed to having no idea before.
In the last five holes I hit 4/4 fairways, and hit the green on the par 3. +3 for the last five holes.

How did everything come back to me, as soon as there was a contest?
I don't understand what exactly changed in my head to allow me to play great golf.
And now I don't know what golf game is going to turn up next time I stand on a tee. :? :?

P.S He three-putted the last, after going too hard at his birdie putt, to give me victory.

Jarro
23rd June 2004, 04:04 PM
What'd you think of the course :?:

AndyP
24th June 2004, 05:24 PM
What'd you think of the course :?:

I'd played it before. I think no better of it.

My mate hit a great T-shot down the middle, we walked up to find it in the water. :roll:

So has anyone else had similar experiences in a round? I know we have talked about turnarounds, but I'm not talking about the scoreboard. This was a complete game change.

senecio
24th June 2004, 08:10 PM
I had a similar experience at Keperra on the weekend. I played holes 10 to 27 and made the turn at 48. Then played the back nine in 40. Again not just a turn around in scoring but a complete change of form.

I started to hit fairways and greens and if I didn't, I managed to get it up and down for no worse than bogey. It may have had something to do with the difference in length of the two nines but I still felt much more comfortable over the ball.

Ryan

gazgolf1
24th June 2004, 09:05 PM
My best score for 9 holes at Oxley is 2 under on the back nine on a day when I did'nt give a rats. :wink:
I think I had 15 pts on the front and felt pretty disgusted,after the first nine I just relaxed and started hitting some shots.
I think some people handle pressure differently,some people thrive on adrenalin and for other people adrenalin is the last thing they need on a golf course.
Jeez I sound like Doctor Phil. :wink:

AndyP
25th June 2004, 06:26 AM
Dr. Phil, maybe it was adrenalin that got my round going and the challenge of the contest.

Another question, I've been feeling a bit bloated lately and feel that this is affecting my self-esteem. Please Help. :wink: :lol:

markTHEblake
25th June 2004, 08:50 AM
If we knew the secret to 'turning it around' then this game would be so easy. I know one pro who shot at Royal Qld +4 on the front and -9 on the back, and he doesnt know how he did that. He said he didnt even consciously line up a long putt on the 16th and still holed it - and then left his approach on 18 a couple inches short to go -10.

I know that sometimes you can turn it around by attacking, other times by being patient, who knows. All i remember from a couple of years ago after leadng the club championships, after +4 on the front nine i tried to be conservative to get some steady pars and avoid bogies. But then i started making doubles, so i tried even harder - then i started making triples. It was like one of those 100 car collisisons in the Blues Brothers.

We obviously can play our best golf when our minds are not distracted. I experienced this earlier this year (once) after about 7-8 holes. I can only describe it as 'surreal', like in a dream.

There might be a key to unlocking this mind state here
http://www.abc.net.au/science/features/golf/default.htm

Golfgirl
25th June 2004, 06:31 PM
So has anyone else had similar experiences in a round? I know we have talked about turnarounds, but I'm not talking about the scoreboard. This was a complete game change.

Sometimes my game turns around completely after I have played the first few holes so badly that I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of being competitive.... then I relax and actually start to play golf.... other times, I am pumped up on adrenalin and my game kicks in. Either way - I am like you - I turn up to the tee not knowing what game I am gonna play this week.... :? :oops: :roll: :lol: