PDA

View Full Version : Professional golfers - team spirit alive and well on tour?

markTHEblake
15th November 2005, 12:13 PM
When Scott Gardiner was in a playoff on Sunday against the young Amateur Jason Day, how many of his pro mates do you reckon stayed around to cheer him on?

You'd think there would be heaps wouldnt you, considering they would rather not have an amateur win their tournament, and ecncouraging him for his first big win.

Go on - take a guess.

a big fat Zero. not even any of the other guys in the last couple of groups. As I arrived i saw two of the main contenders tossing their sticks into their car and scurrying off while the playoff had begun. Particurlily as one of them received huge accolades at the presentation.

well technically there was actually two, the two guys who tied for 3rd who had to stay for the presentation (compulsory) And one of those was Emerald Lakes born and bred trainee.

IMHO thats quite ordinary.

jaster
15th November 2005, 12:28 PM
Not surprised Blakey, there is no team spirit on any of the Pro tours. They are taught to beat each others brains out...or as Tiger put it "step on their necks! so as if they would hang around to watch an opponent win. I agree with you mate...very sad! :cry:

Jarro
15th November 2005, 12:47 PM
yeah, i don't find that at all surprising .... it isn't a team game (unless of course like The Presidents Cup or Ryder Cup) so why would they wanna stick around.

They were all probably on thier way to the practise range anyway :roll:

BrisVegas
15th November 2005, 01:11 PM
They're independent contractors. It's not like they would or should care.

jaster
15th November 2005, 01:52 PM
They're independent contractors. It's not like they would or should care.

Very true BV!!

markTHEblake
15th November 2005, 01:58 PM
I was more surprised because i know that there is a rule that if you tee off within an hour of the last group its compulsory to stay for presentations.

And in the pro -ams with the shotgun starts, during the dinner/presentation a bloke walks around marking the 'roll' to make sure they all there - seems childish doesnt it.

McMw
15th November 2005, 02:00 PM
make cheques out to all the final day players - and get them to hang around if they wanna collect their $$$ - problem solved!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jaster
15th November 2005, 02:38 PM
I can't believe that the mark they roll..what a freaking joke!! :?

markTHEblake
15th November 2005, 03:08 PM
costs em a few hundred clams fine if they are not there.

i figure if i have paid for some of my employees or clients to play in a pro-am i would be pretty miffed if the pro didnt stay around afterwards for a chat.

in fact most of these guys should reallise that the punters are paying their salary, so they do noeed to put in an appearance on and off the course.

Grunt
15th November 2005, 04:48 PM
Pro am's in NSW the pros have to stay for at least 30 min after their round is completed.