PDA

View Full Version : Golf in Bali

SundayHack
6th March 2013, 01:39 PM
Going over for a mates wedding in August. Any courses worth playing over there
as the hole touristy thing over there doesn't interest me.

Courty
6th March 2013, 02:33 PM
Going over for a mates wedding in August. Any courses worth playing over there
as the hole touristy thing over there doesn't interest me.

Le Meridien Nirwana resort at Tanah Lot (approx. 1 hour out of Kuta). It was 10 years ago that I played there, but was quite enjoyable.

FoxGolf
6th March 2013, 03:13 PM
I've played Nirwana the past two years as well as New Kuta last year. Going back again in June this year. We finish our holiday with a 3 night stay at the Pan Pacific Nirwana so that I can get in a couple of games there. They have a number of special offers for accomodation and golf packages, includes spa sessions too if you're going with wife/partner.

New Kuta is good but for me Nirwana is heaps better.

Check out Raffles Golf Club Bali. They welcome visitors to play with them. I did last year when I played at New Kuta in one of their days. It made the round a lot cheaper.

TourFit
6th March 2013, 05:35 PM
I agree with Foxgolf, Nirwana is a better course than New Kuta, no doubt. But it is still worth a game or two there as it is a good course (just don't play it from the tips - it's nearly 7400m long!!!)

A friend of mine did a 3 night stay at Le Meridien, had 3 games at Nirwana and then had 2 nights down in Pecatu (at Condotel) with 2 games at New Kuta.

BrettM
6th March 2013, 05:50 PM
Going with the family as well in August for a week. Anyone recommend a good place to stay for wife and daughter aged 4. Have stayed at Nusa Dua before at the Laguna. Something kid friendly and near a quiet bar with cheap Bintang for me.

Courty
6th March 2013, 05:56 PM
As mentioned above, Le Meridien Nirwana is a top spot.
It's an hour away from the craziness of Kuta so nobody gets hassled for transport or massages or hair-braiding.

FoxGolf
6th March 2013, 06:30 PM
We stay at The Padma in Legian. Big resort that always has a lot of people but never seems over crowded. Our kids like it as there's always lots of other kids for them to play with. We spend most of the time in the lagoon pool but has another main pool (both with swim up bars) as well as a kids pool.

Our 4 year old spent a couple of hours in the kids club last year and had a good time. I also went to the kids club with our two littlest ones (2 and 4) a couple of times just to let them have a play without actually leaving them there.

The restaurants at the resort aren't the cheapest (by Bali standards) but we take a room with breakfast included and then at night we take a short walk to one of the many restaurants close to the resort.

The Le Meridian Nirwana is now the Pan Pacific Nirwana. It's had a refurb about 18 months ago. Beautiful resort as well, 4 swimming pools (no swim up bar) with the top one connected to the bottom one by a water slide that our kids loved. We find it's too far away from everything (no cheap restaurants nearby) so only stay for the 3 nights while I play some golf.

TourFit
6th March 2013, 09:22 PM
Nirwana is quite expensive (and you have to use THEIR transport to and from Kuta...).

The Padma is great. But Discovery Kartika Plaza will be where I stay next time. Right across the road from Waterbom!!!

SundayHack
6th March 2013, 09:30 PM
Cheers guys. Staying at Seminyak then off to Lembongan. Probably try and get a game at new kuta and nirwana

markTHEblake
6th March 2013, 09:52 PM
To play New Kuta for 1/3 of the normal price of about USD150, google search for Raffles golf bali. Its a social club that plays three or four days a week, costs about 600k rp, play in a properly run comp, mostly with expats in mining industry and the odd bum tourist. If you play more than twice with them, they will ask you to pay a one off membership of 500k rp. Bottom line is visitors welcome, no bookings required, turn up, play.

I also think they play Sundays on the other courses sometimes, and still at a cheaper rate than walk up starts.

TourFit
6th March 2013, 11:11 PM
You can also get on for a MUCH cheaper rate if you play after 3pm (not sure if that is ALL year). I turned up around 2pm, got organised and hit some balls and you can usually 'sneak' out a bit before 3pm .

Bruce Dickinson
7th March 2013, 11:02 AM
Nirwana is quite expensive (and you have to use THEIR transport to and from Kuta...).

The Padma is great. But Discovery Kartika Plaza will be where I stay next time. Right across the road from Waterbom!!!
we stayed at Nirwana last August and used a local driver to go everywhere

golfbound
7th March 2013, 11:21 AM
Kartika is awesome my daughter loves it there. A friend of mine is th GM at Kartika, we also stay at The Villas Bali, and if you want top notch stuff another friend owns The Viceroy in Ubud.

http://www.discoverykartikaplaza.com/

http://www.thevillas.net/english/index.htm

http://www.viceroybali.com/en/introduction.php

Let me know if you need VIP immigration or a really good driver.

Shortylook
7th March 2013, 11:48 AM
Bali gardens is very nice, stayed there before, pretty central, water bomb park is a 10 meter walk and they do golf packages out of the hotel there, pretty cheap as they are a partner or something with one of the new courses

FoxGolf
29th May 2013, 11:44 PM
Off to Bali on Saturday for 10 nights. Seven nights at the Padma Resort in Legian. Taking the kids to Waterbom for the first time.

Then to the Pan Pacific Nirwana for three nights. Will be playing a couple of games at the Nirwana Golf Club. Love this golf course. Can't wait!

Cosmopolite
30th May 2013, 05:36 AM
Kartika is awesome my daughter loves it there. A friend of mine is th GM at Kartika, we also stay at The Villas Bali, and if you want top notch stuff another friend owns The Viceroy in Ubud.

http://www.discoverykartikaplaza.com/

http://www.thevillas.net/english/index.htm

http://www.viceroybali.com/en/introduction.php

Let me know if you need VIP immigration or a really good driver.

Ben, can you pm me about the vip immigration? thanks

gazgolf1
16th June 2013, 03:26 PM
Looking for info about a fly and flop holiday to Bali, never been and would like some advice on what area to stay in, not interested in Kuta as I've heard its crazy with hawkers and stuff.

markTHEblake
16th June 2013, 03:34 PM
Gaz i havent stayed anywhere but Kuta, but i think there are still hawkers everywhere, its a bit more controlled than it used to be though. Yyou just want to laze around the pool in your own resort?
Do some googling on Legian, Seminyak and Sanur. A mate of mine has been going to the same joint every year and loves the place, I will dig up the name, pretty sure its in Jl Padma, Legian.

When are you going? I will be there sometime in December

gazgolf1
16th June 2013, 03:40 PM
When are you going? I will be there sometime in December

maybe September MTB

golfbound
16th June 2013, 03:57 PM
For those golfer wanting a holiday to Bali next year we are running an event for Amputee and able bodied golfers pm me for details if interested.

golfbound
16th June 2013, 03:58 PM
Nusadua if you want somewhere quieter Gaz there are some nice resorts there (new ones)

gazgolf1
16th June 2013, 04:07 PM
Nusadua if you want somewhere quieter Gaz there are some nice resorts there (new ones)

Yeah Ben the Westin looks nice, how long does it take to get there from the airport?

golfbound
16th June 2013, 04:10 PM
about 20 mins normally
have you booked yet? If not get your best price and let me know

golfbound
16th June 2013, 04:13 PM
If you want a night or 2 and one of the best villa resorts in the world up at Ubud let me know my friend owns it The Viceroy Bali it won best small luxury villa of the world. http://www.viceroybali.com

gazgolf1
16th June 2013, 04:23 PM
about 20 mins normally
have you booked yet? If not get your best price and let me know

Nah mate only really thought about it today, cheers I will let you know :)
The Viceroy Bali looks nice, will prolly want to stick to the beach areas mate we love the water.

golfbound
16th June 2013, 04:26 PM
no worries Nusa Dua has the clearest water then

Veefore
17th June 2013, 09:22 AM
Club Med Nusa Dua is my first choice. They've even got their own little 6 hole golf course. It's pretty basic and has the world's slowest greens but it is still fun.

markTHEblake
17th June 2013, 12:26 PM
Everywhere in Bali is the worlds slowest greens.... Into the grain. You even get tired walking into it.

gazgolf1
17th June 2013, 03:21 PM
To the guys that have been there whats so good about Bali? Without trying to be insensitive to Ben especially everything I read about the place puts me off going. From Kuta to people being ripped off by money changers to people being bitten by dogs to dodgy taxi drivers. Now I might be over generalising but before I go to a place I tend to do a fair bit of research so I know what I'm in for and factoring in my 4 year old daughter and everything I've read I don't think I'll bother.

markTHEblake
17th June 2013, 03:43 PM
Good point Gaz. Probably can't deal with this objections except in person but Millions go to Bali every year and the strike rate for those problems is pretty low and overstated.

golfbound
17th June 2013, 06:23 PM
To hard to put in a post Im open to a phone call if you want to chat. My daughter has been going since she was 1 she loves the place..... Its great for kids especially if you do one night in the huts at Bali Safari and marine park.

Veefore
17th June 2013, 07:45 PM
Bali is one of those places that lots of people say is shit and question you for going to.
Those people have never been.

Bali is beautiful, the Balinese people are fantastic and it's cheaper than anywhere in Aus.
The Javanese on the other hand...

markTHEblake
17th June 2013, 08:19 PM
To the guys that have been there whats so good about Bali?

Its cheap. Balinese people are very friendly, and its close to Australia, and has great surf.
It also seems to be the best place to get tattooed and smash your brains out with alcohol daily, wake up, get a massage, do it again.

Blakeys Best Bali Tips

First thing when you arrive, familiarise yourself with the location of the nearest Tourist Police office, the main one is in Kuta on the beach in front of the biggest white hotel I have ever seen. These guys are not part of the normal police, do not take/ask for money as like Thailand are funded by the Tourism boards and their first interests are you and they do command authority over Kuta businesses. If you get ripped off, go see them. Great blokes, they got my $80 back! Dont repprt anything to the real police, go to the Tourist police in the first instance.

If you are in the vicinity of Bali Bom (water park) ask anyone in the street for "Karma". He is the supervisor of the Kartika area security company (private) and is very helpful, He is almost aussie, lived here for 20 years, and married to an australian. Great fella, he tells me if ever in trouble, just tell someone that I know Karma and they will leave me alone.

Money Changers:
Rule No 1. Use only official ones, that are bank representatives, or proper shops, ie sliding doors, air conditioning.
Rule No 2. Count your money after he last touched it, even if you already did.

The money changing scammers are always the unofficial ones with the rates that are too good to be true. They count it out all in front of you, and then when they pick it up to hand over they drop a few folds of notes into their lap. I know this from first hand experience :-(

Taxis:
Rule No 1. Only use BlueBird Taxis. Be wary, the other companies also make their Taxis blue.
Rule No 2. Insist driver uses the meter no matter what. Blue Bird taxis will never not use the meter.

Bluebird has the reputation of being one of the best Taxi companies in the world, you are in very safe hands with them. Where possible, ring and book them, they will turn up on time. If you luck out and end up in another Taxi do not fret. Sit in the front with your iPhone and have google maps open, and the guy will realise you are a switched on cool dude. Be aware Kuta especially is mostly one way streets, a short trip can seemingly take ages because he has to go around in circles, he is not cheating you, or he is avoiding traffic. And bear in mind you could be in a taxi for over an hour and it still only cost you 10 bucks.. If he does take you for an extra ride, seriously, he has ripped you for 2 bucks at the most. You can probably hire a taxi for about $20 for the whole day anyway. (oh wait, that might not be quite right, Ben?)

Hawkers:
Bali's is very competitive, every man and his dog is out to get your money so they are all seemingly desperate. If you appear interested in something they are not going to let you go, so if the haggling and the annoying is a bother dont window shop and, just stick to your resorts and beaches and you will be fine. Wont take you long to just put the blinkers on and just keep walking. Most people that complain about being ripped off have lost perspective, for example paying $5 for a T shirt that everyone else bought for $2 that you would have paid $30 for in Hawaii.

Phones:
Get yourself a Telkomsel "Simpati" sim card (red one) when you arrive, but you will definitely get ripped here. They do try to ask for $20-30 for a prepaid Sim, that actually costs $0.50 anywhere else in Indonesia, however its a sellers market and there is some nuances to get it to work, which they will do for you. Haggle them down to $10 for the card and any extra is all for call credits. If they wont do 10, keep walking and find another shop, there are just as many simcard sellers are there are bars. Google for more info, there are some guides online.
Once you get it you can buy packages for your credit, like $5 for 1gb of data. Trust me, having Maps/GPS is invaluable for lots of reasons, and it seems to be faster data than back home!

Dogs:
Getting bit by a dog will almost certainly lead to death eventually if not treated for rabies (apparently). But this is no different than any third world country I think. The only dogs I ever saw in Bali are scangy mutts and they are very few and tame. I think you are more likely to get bit by a dog in australia.

p.s. if you are a cranky unfriendly humourless bastard, maybe go somewhere else where you will be appreciated, like Afghanistan. Small the roses, smile and laugh with everyone, and it will be great.

Cosmopolite
17th June 2013, 08:28 PM
Bali is one of those places that lots of people say is shit and question you for going to.
Those people have never been.

Bali is beautiful, the Balinese people are fantastic and it's cheaper than anywhere in Aus.
The Javanese on the other hand...
Well said veefore. I am in bali ATM and still love it.

Taxis - use blue cabs and insist on the meter being put on
Hawkers - learn to say tidak terimakasih (no thank you)
Dogs-steer clear of them (and monkeys for that matter)
Money changers- no problem if you use reputable ones and not the ones in the street stalls. Kodak shops, western union etc are no problem

golfbound
17th June 2013, 08:28 PM
Its cheap. Balinese people are very friendly, and its close to Australia, and has great surf.
It also seems to be the best place to get tattooed and smash your brains out with alcohol daily, wake up, get a massage, do it again.

Blakeys Best Bali Tips

First thing when you arrive, familiarise yourself with the location of the nearest Tourist Police office, the main one is in Kuta on the beach in front of the biggest white hotel I have ever seen. These guys are not part of the normal police, do not take/ask for money as like Thailand are funded by the Tourism boards and their first interests are you and they do command authority over Kuta businesses. If you get ripped off, go see them. Great blokes, they got my $80 back! Dont repprt anything to the real police, go to the Tourist police in the first instance.

If you are in the vicinity of Bali Bom (water park) ask anyone in the street for "Karma". He is the supervisor of the Kartika area security company (private) and is very helpful, He is almost aussie, lived here for 20 years, and married to an australian. Great fella, he tells me if ever in trouble, just tell someone that I know Karma and they will leave me alone.

Money Changers:
Rule No 1. Use only official ones, that are bank representatives, or proper shops, ie sliding doors, air conditioning.
Rule No 2. Count your money after he last touched it, even if you already did.

The money changing scammers are always the unofficial ones with the rates that are too good to be true. They count it out all in front of you, and then when they pick it up to hand over they drop a few folds of notes into their lap. I know this from first hand experience :-(

Taxis:
Rule No 1. Only use BlueBird Taxis. Be wary, the other companies also make their Taxis blue.
Rule No 2. Insist driver uses the meter no matter what. Blue Bird taxis will never not use the meter.

Bluebird has the reputation of being one of the best Taxi companies in the world, you are in very safe hands with them. Where possible, ring and book them, they will turn up on time. If you luck out and end up in another Taxi do not fret. Sit in the front with your iPhone and have google maps open, and the guy will realise you are a switched on cool dude. Be aware Kuta especially is mostly one way streets, a short trip can seemingly take ages because he has to go around in circles, he is not cheating you, or he is avoiding traffic. And bear in mind you could be in a taxi for over an hour and it still only cost you 10 bucks.. If he does take you for an extra ride, seriously, he has ripped you for 2 bucks at the most. You can probably hire a taxi for about $20 for the whole day anyway. (oh wait, that might not be quite right, Ben?)

Hawkers:
Bali's is very competitive, every man and his dog is out to get your money so they are all seemingly desperate. If you appear interested in something they are not going to let you go, so if the haggling and the annoying is a bother dont window shop and, just stick to your resorts and beaches and you will be fine. Wont take you long to just put the blinkers on and just keep walking. Most people that complain about being ripped off have lost perspective, for example paying $5 for a T shirt that everyone else bought for $2 that you would have paid $30 for in Hawaii.

Phones:
Get yourself a Telkomsel "Simpati" sim card (red one) when you arrive, but you will definitely get ripped here. They do try to ask for $20-30 for a prepaid Sim, that actually costs $0.50 anywhere else in Indonesia, however its a sellers market and there is some nuances to get it to work, which they will do for you. Haggle them down to $10 for the card and any extra is all for call credits. If they wont do 10, keep walking and find another shop, there are just as many simcard sellers are there are bars. Google for more info, there are some guides online.
Once you get it you can buy packages for your credit, like $5 for 1gb of data. Trust me, having Maps/GPS is invaluable for lots of reasons, and it seems to be faster data than back home!

Dogs:
Getting bit by a dog will almost certainly lead to death eventually if not treated for rabies (apparently). But this is no different than any third world country I think. The only dogs I ever saw in Bali are scangy mutts and they are very few and tame. I think you are more likely to get bit by a dog in australia.

p.s. if you are a cranky unfriendly humourless bastard, maybe go somewhere else where you will be appreciated, like Afghanistan. Small the roses, smile and laugh with everyone, and it will be great.

Spot on with everything here Mark apart from cabs on a meter for a blue bird will cost you about $80 aud for the day if you need a driver let me know they are about $30 - $40 for the day in a good airconditioned car. Becare dont just jump in with anyone that offers to drive you make sure they have tourist insurance and the little metal silver tag screwed onto there number plate. If you do get in one that doesnt have this and you and your driver are pulled over you could be up for a bribe of $100 - $300 AUD to get out of it.

golfbound
17th June 2013, 08:32 PM
Well said veefore. I am in bali ATM and still love it.

Taxis - use blue cabs and insist on the meter being put on
Hawkers - learn to say tidak terimakasih (no thank you)
Dogs-steer clear of them (and monkeys for that matter)
Money changers- no problem if you use reputable ones and not the ones in the street stalls. Kodak shops, western union etc are no problem

How did you go with immigration?

Cosmopolite
17th June 2013, 08:34 PM
How did you go with immigration?
Great thanks Ben. Much easier than the normal way. Just took ages to get our bags as 5 planes came in at once.

I may need a driver. Can you pm me some details thanks?

gazgolf1
17th June 2013, 08:58 PM
Cheers guys very comprehensive.

Cosmopolite
17th June 2013, 09:11 PM
There are also quite a few fixed price shops now if you do not like bartering. Some people love it but I hate it so it suits me fine

Cosmopolite
24th June 2013, 09:50 PM
25487[ATTACH=CONFIG]25487[/ATTACH

Vulcano pizza at Papas restaurant

markTHEblake
24th June 2013, 11:20 PM
is that the pizza place where he takes everyones photo and puts it on his facebook page? He makes fine Pizza's.
cant remember where it is, but not too far from the memorial.

Cosmopolite
24th June 2013, 11:34 PM
is that the pizza place where he takes everyones photo and puts it on his facebook page? He makes fine Pizza's.
cant remember where it is, but not too far from the memorial.
Not sure about the FB thing but it is on Jl Pantai KutA not far from Melasti st. It is called Papas Limoncello. Used to be called Papas.

markTHEblake
25th June 2013, 12:05 AM
nah, defiinitely a different place. The one I am thinking of is nowhere near there, possibly Popies 2 (3?) or another road heading beachside from Legian rd.
It started off a bit weird, because this white guy sitting at the next table to us with a laptop kept staring at my daughter, who gets quite animated when she talks and tends to attract attention. I thought he was a stalker when he asked to take a picture, but turned out he was the owner!

goughy
25th June 2013, 06:29 AM
Vulcano pizza at Papas restaurant

I have a sore neck - rotate clockwise 90* ;)

Cosmopolite
25th June 2013, 07:05 AM
I have a sore neck - rotate clockwise 90* ;)
Sorry was done on iPhone. Dunno how to do it. Dunno why it does that cos it doesn't do it on Facebook

goughy
25th June 2013, 07:34 AM
iphone - that explains a lot ;) Assuming it might be a bit like android, when you view the pic on your phone if I click on it I get some options come up, like sharing, facebook, etc and one is to edit. From there I can crop, rotate, edit it etc. Assuming iphone does the same. Maybe facebook detected the person in the background and auto rotated it?

Only being nitpicky for no reason :)

Cosmopolite
25th June 2013, 10:45 AM
iphone - that explains a lot ;) Assuming it might be a bit like android, when you view the pic on your phone if I click on it I get some options come up, like sharing, facebook, etc and one is to edit. From there I can crop, rotate, edit it etc. Assuming iphone does the same. Maybe facebook detected the person in the background and auto rotated it?

Only being nitpicky for no reason :)
Jeebus don't think my phone gives options like that. Will repost it correctly from my puter when I get home in a couple of days

goughy
25th June 2013, 10:46 AM
You do know I'm not serious! And any chance to take a dig at iPhones ;)

RoyJJ
25th June 2013, 01:59 PM
Going with the family as well in August for a week. Anyone recommend a good place to stay for wife and daughter aged 4. Have stayed at Nusa Dua before at the Laguna. Something kid friendly and near a quiet bar with cheap Bintang for me.

Try this one.... www.villajumah.com ... Very kid friendly and staff are great. Also nice and close to everything you need.

Cosmopolite
25th June 2013, 04:39 PM
Brett- we are staying at Stones hotel on the kutA/Legian border and it is the beez neez. Lots of little extra touches and the pool is huge including a swim up. Pool bar. 2 for one drinks each afternoon between 5 & 7. Just a short walk to melasti st or you can walk to kutA but a bit further. Only about $3 for a blue taxi to kutA (cos they have to go the long way around due to one way streets)

Archi
25th June 2013, 06:00 PM
Go to Queens of India on the main Kuta drag for the Flaming Chocolate Brownie - sensational - you can just go for the dessert - cold cream poured from height onto the brownie on a sizzling cast iron plate.

Take your camera to New Kuta some scenic beach cliff top holes on the back nine

gazgolf1
25th June 2013, 07:11 PM
Brett- we are staying at Stones hotel on the kutA/Legian border and it is the beez neez.

Just had a look on Tripadvisor Cos, looks like a nice hotel.

Cosmopolite
27th June 2013, 06:24 PM
Just had a look on Tripadvisor Cos, looks like a nice hotel.

fantastic hotel Gaz, gotta be one of the best I have stayed at. was very sad to leave. The staff were excellent and so many nice extra little touches. 2 for 1 drinks for happy (2) hours each afternoon too.

Cosmopolite
27th June 2013, 06:38 PM

better pics of the vulcano pizza

and the real volcano - Mt Batur (bit cloudy when we were there unfortunately)

SundayHack
6th August 2013, 08:12 PM
Off to Bali next week. What is the best way to get from Outrigger Legian Beach to Nirwana Golf. Time and cost. Also how far to New Kuta as well. Probably the 2 courses I will be playing before heading to Lembongan.

markTHEblake
6th August 2013, 11:09 PM
Bluebird Taxi. Dont worry about cost, An hour in a cab might cost you $10. Ring them up and book the pickup (or use their smartphone app) and they will pick you up dead on time. Best taxi company in Asia, probably the world.
Dont try to hail one, all the dodgy taxis try to look like bluebirds.

New Kuta Golf from Kuta (Water Bom) cost me about 50-60k and was not even 30 mins (I think). But like anything in Indo, prepare to go very early just in case. Getting out of Kuta/legian can be a shitfight, it might take you 30 mins to just get to the main drag :-)

TourFit
6th August 2013, 11:38 PM
Gettin' there is no problem...but Nirwana don't allow Bluebirds to hang around the resort. You'll have to take one of 'their' contracted private cars back. I usually go to the start of Seminyak, pay up the MUCH higher fee then catch a Bluebird for the rest of the way.

New Kuta is much the same. Took me 45mins from there to central Kuta

Jmac
22nd August 2013, 04:07 PM
I'm off to Bali middle of September. Anyone know if the Handara course is worth it? I'm staying at Nirwana but I was thinking of heading up to Handara for a round if it is worth it. Also chasing if anyone knows how long it takes to get to Handara from Nirwana. Cheese!

golfbound
22nd August 2013, 05:06 PM
You may want to check handara is open as they were closing for a year for full course renos your looking at about 1 hour 15 or so depending on ceremonies etc to get there.

BrettM
23rd August 2013, 05:26 AM
I had a walk around Bali G&CC last week and they are in the midst of a full grow in following a rebuild. End result will be very good quality but wouldn't expect it to be open until towards end of year. Maybe in time for the APEC meeting on Nusa Dua in October.

Jmac
24th August 2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks Ben, I'll look into that.

Chapzzzz
24th August 2013, 10:08 PM
I'm off to Bali middle of September. Anyone know if the Handara course is worth it? I'm staying at Nirwana but I was thinking of heading up to Handara for a round if it is worth it. Also chasing if anyone knows how long it takes to get to Handara from Nirwana. Cheese!

I wouldn't bother with Handara.
If you're staying at Nirwana that's the best course in Bali.

Chapzzzz

wizard_of_oz
4th September 2013, 10:02 AM
Hmm, I didn't like Bali. At all. There is a rampant culture of trying to take advantage of tourists. Walked out of the airport, to be greeted with someone with 'porter' on his shoulder. After moving my bags 20m, he asked for a tip. The taxi drivers outside said $20 to bring me to nusa dua, and I haggled down to $15 although apparently, it should have been around $10. I nearly got into a fight with a taxi driver outside my hotel after he said what sounded like 10 thousand rupiah ($1) for a 5 minute drive but he insisted he said 10 dollars or $100,000 rupiah (normally that would bea 30 minutes ride). He started shoving me and shouting that I had promised him that amount. I had the security guards at the hotel get involved and I paid him $50,000 rupiah to get him to leave. Some taxi drivers claimed they didn't have change and short changed you. People wanting to sell SIM cards for $35 aud. It's a tourist trap and I even speak bahasa indo. Definitely take bluebird taxi only as others have said. Horses for courses, I liked nusa dua but the Golf course was closed for renovations.

markTHEblake
4th September 2013, 10:18 AM
Didn't I and Ben already give you tips to avoid most of that earlier in this thread?

All those things do detract from the place I agree, but there are also many positives. But like anywhere else one must read the Faq's before going. :-)

wizard_of_oz
4th September 2013, 10:33 AM
Mark, it is just the culture of trying to take advantage of tourists and needing to be wary and cautious that I didn't like. It's a few dollars that's all, I don't mind that. It's just the mentality that they possess that it is acceptable. Like I said, some won't mind this and take it as the charm of Bali, I don't enjoy it that's all.

3Puttpete
4th September 2013, 10:39 AM
As opposed to the tourists trying to take advantage of the locals' poverty and expecting them to be grateful for any old coin thrown their way.

It's a game. You try to rip them off by not paying enough and they try to rip you off by charging too much.

wizard_of_oz
4th September 2013, 10:49 AM
I understand that some like playing the game of haggling for prices pete. It's just not my cup of tea. Like I said, many have had good experiences with Bali, I'm not one of them.

SundayHack
4th September 2013, 12:26 PM
Agree with you Wizard. Just got back myself. Would never go back. Got Bali belly 3 days in and couldn't shake it. Not my cup of tea for a holiday.

markTHEblake
4th September 2013, 12:48 PM
I think you all would find that the experiences are the same in any other third world country, though at different levels. Bali is usually the common one for Australians. They do look up to white people as a class above them and think we are all billionaires, so they are just trying to make a quid and you are fair game to pay $5 for a $2 shirt.

Also take care to not paint all with the same brush. The Balinese people are delightful to engage with, it's more likely that all the bad experiences are coming from the people of another island ( underpinned by a different religion but we dnot need to go there)

The Sim card prices of $35 really stink though. You should be able to knock that down to $10. They really only cost $0.45 but you are also paying them to set it up for you, not the easiest thing to do.

PeteyD
4th September 2013, 02:06 PM
Reminds me of a mate, we stayed in Carlton on a visit to rainy Melbourne. He could not stand the touts outside the italian places for dinner. I thought they were funny as.

golfbound
8th October 2013, 11:23 AM
This is the event i have been working on

Haystacks
22nd January 2014, 07:14 AM
Bump.

I'm off to Bali in a touch over 3 weeks.

Are Nirwana and New Bali still the pick of the courses?
If I only got one game, which course would be the one to play?

markTHEblake
22nd January 2014, 01:31 PM
I would llay New Kuta with the Raffles group, its going to be more fun to mix with a whole bunch of golfers, than on your pat Malone

Please dress appropriately.

golfbound
22nd January 2014, 06:21 PM
You will have an awesome time my event is going well its booked for 14th August till 24th August i have 30 rooms booked and about 24 people booked and paid so far. It is open to anyone that wants to come and play in Bali and have the trip tax deductible.

Haystacks
22nd January 2014, 09:18 PM
I would llay New Kuta with the Raffles group, its going to be more fun to mix with a whole bunch of golfers, than on your pat Malone

Please dress appropriately.

I'm not sure what you mean Blakey??

markTHEblake
22nd January 2014, 10:10 PM
Ok, why not! Go and make a memorable first impression then.

Yossarian
3rd August 2015, 12:27 PM
I can't yet be bothered reading the thread, but golf around Seminyak. Worth it, price etc?

golfbound
3rd August 2015, 12:30 PM
closest would be Nirwana probably the best course in Bali and about $130 per person plus caddie tips

Yossarian
3rd August 2015, 12:39 PM
If that is the going rate I think I will pass.

golfbound
3rd August 2015, 12:46 PM
rates here http://www.nirwanabaligolf.com/index.php/en/golf/golf-rate

Yossarian
3rd August 2015, 12:57 PM
Thanks. I will be passing.

Yossarian
31st August 2015, 05:54 PM
Is New Kuta worth a hit?

Peppas
31st August 2015, 06:06 PM
Dunno but nirwana is worth at least one visit.

golfbound
31st August 2015, 06:33 PM
I would go Nirwana then New Kuta, Bali international.

markTHEblake
31st August 2015, 09:50 PM
Is New Kuta worth a hit?

I havent played the others, New Kuta is pretty good though. But dont go there expecting Pebble beach cliffside golf, the cliffs are not in play at all. The promo photos are a bit misleading when they highlight the holes near the cliffs. Just one green is up against the edge and you cant really tell until you are on the putting green. Though it is a sensational par 4 regardless.

One advantage of New Kuta is you can play in the social club 4 days a week, have a comp round, get a discounted green fees, and hang out with a bunch of loopy expats. Google '"Raffles Golf Bali"
The also play a couple times a month elswhere, but you have to join their club first, cost a lazy million roops i think.

Make sure you play early morning. You need a machete in the afternoon to cut a path through the grain, if putting against it.

Yossarian
31st August 2015, 09:53 PM
Thanks all, I have recips at New Kuta so might hit that up.

Cheer.

Golf_trends
4th September 2015, 10:56 AM
Whats a good course to play?

3Puttpete
4th September 2015, 10:57 AM
Nice

Lagerlover
4th September 2015, 11:34 AM
Hahaha

Drive4Show
16th September 2015, 12:31 PM
I would go Nirwana then New Kuta, Bali international.

Bali National is well ahead of New Kuta. Nirwana has the wow factor but the conditioning of Bali National is amazing!