PDA

View Full Version : Does your club still have a "Pro" in the proshop?

bergsey
6th March 2013, 12:44 AM
Our professional has resigned after 21 years with the club so the board is going to look at 'other arrangements'. The head pro currently runs the proshop as a service to the club and takes a cut of the comp fees etc.

One of the potentials i can gather is having admin type people rather than the traditional proshop run by a PGA professional. For organising tee times, selling mars bars etc it doesn't sound like a bad option. They would currently sell a small amount of clubs and organise the odd lesson which hardly warrants a full time pro.

Have many gone down this path ? has it saved / cost money ?

simmsy
6th March 2013, 12:54 AM
Gosnells just replaced their Pro with the Pro from Nedlands.
I imagine its financially worthwhile for both Pro and club.

Golfnut
6th March 2013, 01:13 AM
I don't think I've ever seen any of our pros in the proshop......I do, however, see them out on the course or range A LOT!
The young trainees pretty much man the proshop mostly from my experience.....they would obviously have someone over seeing their movements, not sure if its a pro or not though.

idgolfguy
6th March 2013, 02:05 AM
Storefront Pros are a dying breed, online business is killing the storefront.
Does Nigel still own the business a WAGC?

Veefore
6th March 2013, 09:16 AM
Hartfield still has the pro who owns the business as well as a 2nd who works with him. They have a very loyal following and the shop is still doing very well.

bergsey
6th March 2013, 09:50 AM
Storefront Pros are a dying breed, online business is killing the storefront.Does Nigel still own the business a WAGC?Not sure what the commercial arrangement is but he is 'resigning'. Assuming that means giving up the lease or something

Bruce Dickinson
6th March 2013, 10:00 AM
Each club would be different in regards to what they want and what they are prepared to pay for.

Ashes
6th March 2013, 10:32 AM
Gosnells just replaced their Pro with the Pro from Nedlands.
I imagine its financially worthwhile for both Pro and club.

Is the proshop affiliated with Drummond now? I thought I noticed something on that electronic sign they're got going on Ranford.

Johnny Canuck
6th March 2013, 01:19 PM
Is the proshop affiliated with Drummond now? I thought I noticed something on that electronic sign they're got going on Ranford. That was a temp move until the new pro started.

dhills2
6th March 2013, 01:45 PM
We have pro, trainee plus a few other low handicappers in the shop... I prefer this to having admin or management guys in there trying to hock off anything and everything. Our GM gets in the shop on occasion and tries to put the hard sell on anyone that walks in... I'm not even sure he has ever played golf!

PeteyD
6th March 2013, 05:07 PM
We have 3 pros (father and 2 sons, although Lenny is virtually retired now), and a trainee pro. They do a lot of lessons, and a lot of the members buy through the pro shop.

Courty
6th March 2013, 05:22 PM
We have 3 pros:

the had pro who holds the contract with the club, and two younger pros who work for him. You can be almost guaranteed that one of the 3 will be there at all times. They run the pro shop (obviously), carts, driving range and competitions.

muldude
6th March 2013, 05:25 PM
We have 3 as well, i think there is 5 casuals on top of that.

markTHEblake
9th March 2013, 11:47 AM
Many golf pros own the motorised carts and make a motza out of that. Golf clubs are noticing and want to get in on that action.

Overall the on course golf pro's have to reinvent themselves to compete with online retail and the trend for clubs to get rid of them.

One opportunity is for the club pros to take up the Golf Operations roles but the older guys probably would find that a bit hard.

Captain Nemo
9th March 2013, 12:19 PM
Our has 3
Head Pro assistant (part time) and a Trainee!
God knows why.....?

IanO
12th March 2013, 04:38 PM
We have our old Pro (says he is getting out of the business as he makes no money), a newly qalified Pro and a trainee