PDA

View Full Version : Wedges...what's out there

Toolish
14th November 2005, 02:50 PM
I am looking at a new set of wedges, 53* and 58*. Not sure what to get.

I am pretty impartial, looking at Vokey spin milled, callaway forged, Y cutters, Srixons, clevo or or the Mizuno MP range.

Overall is there a lot of difference in the wedges, and does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations. I really have no idea what i want other than the loft. Not even really sure on the shaft, probably a TT DG S300 as in my irons.

Jarro
14th November 2005, 03:23 PM
Vokey spin milled are probably the best out there at the moment.

Toolish
14th November 2005, 03:28 PM
Jarro...what is the Nomad Vokey as in your sig?

Jarro
14th November 2005, 03:34 PM
they are just a pair of 200 series Vokeys that have had the NomadWRX treatment.

they redo the grooves deeper and squarer than retail, and they also port the wedges .... which is supposed to lower ballflight and other shit i wouldn't have a clue about :roll:

check 'em out here : http://www.nomadgolfwrx.com/

he sells heaps of wedges on Ebay USA, so have a look and see what wedges you like the look of.

I love mine.

Flowergirl
14th November 2005, 03:45 PM
Toolish.....go and see Ben. The wishon wedges I got from him are awesome. Twice now I've had a pro pick them up when I'm having a lesson and say - wow - these feel great.
Drop him a pm. :D He's a top bloke.

Trung
14th November 2005, 03:47 PM
Toolish.....go and see Ben.
He's a top bloke.

Not after I sold my Nakashima.. :lol:

ben
14th November 2005, 04:08 PM
Trung,

I still have some love for you, just pass me that LCD and we'll call it even.

Matt 3 Jab
14th November 2005, 05:04 PM
Hogan wedges are good value IMO, the have nice big grooves and good feel and a good shape, i carry the 52 riveria and a 57 special sand, both look and feel good to me but wedges are a personal thing, thats why there are so many.

McMw
14th November 2005, 11:09 PM
Hogan wedges are good value IMO, the have nice big grooves and good feel and a good shape, i carry the 52 riveria and a 57 special sand, both look and feel good to me but wedges are a personal thing, thats why there are so many.

i've got the rivera 50 and 58 wedges...best set i've used since the nike chrome...

then again, I got a pair of brand spanking new 50chrome/58raw nike wedges sitting in the room, just waiting to be de-virginized... :wink:
so not sure when that's gonna happen.. :lol:

Matt 3 Jab
15th November 2005, 08:03 AM
i dont think ive ever hit a nike wedge so on the basis of that, stick with the hogans :wink:

CM
21st November 2005, 08:35 PM
I am bias but a sole grind that suits your style/technique/conditions is vital if you want your wedge play better.
Personally I like true forged heads because I like them soft.
ScratchGolf {www.sgolfclubs.com}make the finest retail wedges I have EVER seen/played. They Japan forgings by Ishihara and play real well. They have better standard sole grinds than anyone to date and also can customise and personalise for YOU.
They are not cheap but are great.
I must disclose that I am a part of the company that is the appointed Aust and NZ distributor for Scratch but even if I wasn't they would still be the best high end retail wedges available.
Cheers,
Chris

Toolish
21st November 2005, 09:19 PM
Tried some Srixon wedges the other day, was impressed by them. Anyone use Srixon wedges?

Jarro
21st November 2005, 09:25 PM
Tried some Srixon wedges the other day, was impressed by them.  Anyone use Srixon wedges?

didn't even know they made 'em :?

Toolish
21st November 2005, 09:56 PM
Had em at a demo day I went to, they seemed soft and got a fair bit of spin on the ball...a lot better than the current junk I have!!

http://www.srixon.com/club_wg_504.asp

Jarro
21st November 2005, 10:04 PM
nice :wink:

freddy a
21st November 2005, 11:04 PM
cant go wrong with the Titleist Spin Milled and Cleveland CG1 I like my wedges with low bounce as I like to open and close the face for chips.
With the Scratch wedges Chris mentioned I've only heard rave reviews about these wedges feel, looks and performance wise.
The Cleveland 900 series are a great buy for the performance they give.
Or you can be on the look out for Larry Bobka Design forged Titleist wedges very expensive but they have to be one of the nicest wedges I have ever hit.

BrisVegas
28th November 2005, 04:38 PM
I am looking at a new set of wedges, 53* and 58*.  Not sure what to get.  

I am pretty impartial, looking at Vokey spin milled, callaway forged, Y cutters, Srixons, clevo or or the Mizuno MP range.

Have you tried the Mizuno wedges? I played a few games with Trung this weekend and was admiring his. They'd match well with your irons too...

Toolish
29th November 2005, 08:16 AM
I like the look of the Mizunos, but the hard part is getting some to try!!

Would be nice to match up with the irons!! :lol:

Matt 3 Jab
29th November 2005, 09:39 AM
Cleveland 900 RTG are the best wedges ever!! 8)

BrisVegas
19th January 2006, 01:40 PM
Having finally had a swing with the Vokey Spin Milled's, I am a new fan of the Vokey 200 series shape. The 54 especially, is a great looking wedge that should prove very versatile.

Jarro
19th January 2006, 01:44 PM
you'll love 'em Vegas ..... haven't heard a bad word about them yet :wink:

davo78
20th January 2006, 01:15 PM
Had em at a demo day I went to, they seemed soft and got a fair bit of spin on the ball...a lot better than the current junk I have!!

http://www.srixon.com/club_wg_504.asp

I just bought myself a Srixon XX10 54* wedge. I don't think they're as pricey as the WG-504. Taking it out shortly for a hit, see how it goes...

davo78
20th January 2006, 01:19 PM
The Cleveland 900 series are a great buy for the performance they give.

Are they the ones with the bronze (or something similar) plate in the club face ??

Virgal_Tracy
20th January 2006, 02:12 PM
Drummond in Sydney have 56* and 60* Cleveland 900J's for $99 ea. Apparently they are the Japanese model with the only difference being the colours they come out in. a muted green is one colour

rick3003
20th January 2006, 02:23 PM
TM Rac wedges are great. Powergolf had them over chrissy for $99 each. Chrome or Black. What a great buy.