PDA

View Full Version : Aust PGA at Royal Pines

Marto65
27th February 2013, 03:19 PM
Hello 59 ?

backintheswing
27th February 2013, 03:24 PM
Will they be playing off the ladies tees?

Captain Nemo
27th February 2013, 03:29 PM
Will they be playing off the ladies tees?
Arnt the back tees the Ladies tee's?

shavey
27th February 2013, 03:29 PM
It will be off the tips (6600m) and the course will be tricked up. $1M in cash and in kind to secure this event with future changes to the course over the coming years to ensure it's competitiveness.

shavey
27th February 2013, 03:31 PM
Ladies Masters plays just under 6000m.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/02/27/447865_gold-coast-sport.html

sms316
27th February 2013, 03:31 PM
It just proves that the quality of course means zilch. Boring as bat shit.

shavey
27th February 2013, 03:34 PM

Granted yes but without the purse they don't get the players. I'm surprised even RACV could bankroll what the PGA were asking for which from all accounts is based on the glory days of Coolum.

matty
27th February 2013, 04:18 PM

+1

spanner039
27th February 2013, 04:21 PM
+2 now that is boring

Great practice course for the champs though!

virge666
27th February 2013, 04:48 PM
Yeah - they are going to have to trick that place up A LOT.

otherwise -25 is going to win it.

PerryGroves
27th February 2013, 05:00 PM

I would like to think pro golfers choose their schedule because of the quality of the courses they are able to play, however in the money roulette that is the end of year in Asia, they could care less.

Royal Pines seems ideally suited to compete against some resort in Thailand/China or wherever for the services of a punter ranked somewhere between 35 and 75 in the world.

SundayHack
27th February 2013, 05:01 PM
If a Steven Jeffress can shoot a 62 around there in a pro-am -40 ain't out of the question for the winning total. Would be like
playing Tiger Woods on the playstation.

Looney
27th February 2013, 06:46 PM
Royal pines have said they will spend $5m on the course over the next few years to toughen it up. I suggest they build a lot of fairway bunkering or dig more ponds maybe do both or it will be a joke.

Captain Nemo
27th February 2013, 07:08 PM
Do we really care what the winning score is ?
Don't people want to see birdies and eagles?
At the end of the day they still have to get the ball in the hole in as fewer shots as they can.
Its just another tourney and the guy with the lowest score wins, even par or -24, whatever.....
Id like to hear Minor Threats or Pete Shaws opinion on the matter considering they are at or have been that level....

PeteyD
28th February 2013, 08:29 AM
Par is just an arbitrary number after all.

virge666
28th February 2013, 10:21 AM
Do we really care what the winning score is ?
Id like to hear Minor Threats or Pete Shaws opinion on the matter considering they are at or have been that level....

There has to be both.

Otherwise the game becomes a putting comp and ball strikers get overpowered. Coolum is such a good course as it has a mixture of both - and you need that 2nd shot setup to really go low.

AndyP
28th February 2013, 10:25 AM
It keeps the appeal of on course accommodation for the players, at least.

Captain Nemo
28th February 2013, 10:26 AM
I understand Virge, but it is the Gold Coast after all.
Weve seen in the past with the Ladies Tourny there, weather can and probably will be a major factor....?

virge666
28th February 2013, 12:35 PM
I understand Virge, but it is the Gold Coast after all.
Weve seen in the past with the Ladies Tourny there, weather can and probably will be a major factor....?

Yeah - but the girls dont hit it 300... they sort of get around 240 - ish. The boys will turn it into a pitch and putt, even with 3 woods off the tee.

I thought Palm Meadows would have had a shot at it.

much better course too.

PeteyD
28th February 2013, 12:45 PM
No money to put up though.

Looney
28th February 2013, 12:49 PM
I think Palm Meadows would need a lot of spending done, great course but would need many month of improvement to be ready for a major event like the PGA.

ddasey
28th February 2013, 01:00 PM
Wayne GRADY wants the job......

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/golf/australian-pga-shifts-to-royal-pines-on-the-gold-coast/story-fndedw3b-1226586954442

Monsta
28th February 2013, 01:04 PM
Does a 59 not count if its on an easy course?? Spose its like getting a hole in one, but not in a comp :mrgreen:

ddasey
28th February 2013, 01:42 PM
So does R Chamberlain and every other arkie in the country.
I applied for a small remodel job in Sydney recently and 15 applied...now on the short list of six..six in a shortlist..tough gig.

Best of luck with it Dicky, fingers crossed hey.

As far as Royal Pines, start a poll on who gets the work. I'll vote for you. :mrgreen:

Webster
28th February 2013, 02:01 PM
There is of course a way to balance both but not many arkies have been displaying this trait in recent years.

Which ones have been doing this well 69'er?

Webster
28th February 2013, 02:53 PM
Dickie, they will get the architect they deserve. They wont go with anyone other than Clayts though.

spanner039
28th February 2013, 03:36 PM
Clayton and co would be doing any work - they are the RACV's architects of choice.

They have some very high powerful contacts within RACV, that dosn't take away from the fact they would do a great job.

spanner039
28th February 2013, 03:37 PM
Dickie, they will get the architect they deserve. They wont go with anyone other than Clayts though.

I really should start reading all the posts

BrettM
28th February 2013, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know if RACV are unhappy with the 9 holes Marsh did? If they bring someone else in then they would most likely revisit those holes to achieve some consistency across the 27.

spanner039
28th February 2013, 06:31 PM
Does anyone know if RACV are unhappy with the 9 holes Marsh did? If they bring someone else in then they would most likely revisit those holes to achieve some consistency across the 27.

I wouldn't be surprised if Clayton does a composite. The RA wouldn't know if it's good or not, nor would they care if it's consistent or not.

They will just do what Clayton suggests, I would hope its not to a tight budget. Healesville was very tight budget wise.

markTHEblake
28th February 2013, 09:20 PM
It wouldnt be hard to stretch out a few tees and grow a bit of rough, if they want to toughen it up a bit.

markTHEblake
28th February 2013, 09:36 PM
Isnt 6600 long enough these days?

Lagerlover
28th February 2013, 09:39 PM
It wouldnt be hard to stretch out a few tees and grow a bit of rough, if they want to toughen it up a bit. So Blakey would this mean they'll fill in some holes on the 19th green?

Dotty
1st March 2013, 07:01 AM
It wouldn't take long to get 18 fibreglass dinosaurs placed strategically around the course.

Problem solved.

markTHEblake
2nd March 2013, 11:25 AM
So Blakey would this mean they'll fill in some holes on the 19th green? Thinking about it, first and 10th are probably the only two holes they can stretch out, and they could easily add 50m I guess. I do believe they have already placed a commemorative plaque on that 19th hole. It's crayon written on an adult wipe held in place with a tee.

popper81
2nd March 2013, 11:27 AM
In current weather patterns, this event will be rained out ;)

markTHEblake
2nd March 2013, 01:52 PM
Us open style 6" rough and 20m wide fairways?

markTHEblake
2nd March 2013, 02:06 PM
I was thinking more about the quick fix for the first one. I can't imagine any green changes would be completed in time.

So what would you suggest for this year? Apart from Lagerlover yelling abuse from the ropes

spanner039
6th March 2013, 06:41 PM
Well here is one for the books Clayton out, Karrie Webb in!

Early days and they have been inundated by everyone but Webb is now top of the heap.

I didn't think her name was attached to a designer or even had a design team anymore.

sms316
6th March 2013, 06:42 PM
Go Karrie!

spanner039
6th March 2013, 07:38 PM
No shit! Floored me as well and there is a story, just can't say..........

Early days.

spanner039
6th March 2013, 07:46 PM
Don't give up hope on this one 69.

But if Clayton hasn't got it and they are contemplating Webb anything can happen

Watch the RA stuff this one. As a side note I bet they we're wishing they came up with the dinosaur idea first.

Minor_Threat
6th March 2013, 08:37 PM
Not a fan if the PGA at Royal Pines at all. Noone wants to see people shoot -25. It just caters to the 'Bombers' out there. Its just like the Qld PGA at Emerald Lakes, ridiculous scoring goes on there.

When I was playing RP was always used as a pre-qual event and you knew you needed at least -5 to have any chance. If the putter was slightly off you were gone.

It should be at RQ again.

virge666
6th March 2013, 09:02 PM
It should be at RQ again.

Fkn THIS !!!!

sms316
6th March 2013, 09:23 PM
As good of a track that RQ is, I have my doubts about whether it could ever be a venue again. A lot of parking issues around there due to housing developments nearby.

The only alternative that I can think of is shuttle buses from Doomben or Eagle Farm racecourses. I think The Lakes might have similar practice in place when they host.

Captain Nemo
10th March 2013, 09:53 PM
Yep, the Lakes use nearby schools etc for parking.
It's a hassle, but it works.
Train station not to far away and they run shuttle buses.

BrettM
3rd April 2013, 03:27 PM
I read unfortunately that 69er has missed out on the redesign gig, bad luck mate.

Shortlist now at 5 architects.

BrettM
23rd May 2013, 05:03 PM

And Graham Marsh gets the gig. Going to move a lot of soil if they want consistency across the 27 when you see the 9 originally built.

His preferred construction contractor is already underway at Horton Park so provides some good synergies with heavy equipment already up here.

spanner039
23rd May 2013, 05:32 PM
At least I had Webb for the place, was told Clayton had no chance.

Marsh will do a good job.

BrettM
23rd May 2013, 05:33 PM
I'm getting older Richard so don't bother reading between the lines on things anymore.

Suffice to say, I have a preferred construction contractor who does work for us and have done so last summer. I will use them again this summer. They make the job easier.