PDA

View Full Version : removing the weights from a r5 head

peter_rs
14th November 2005, 11:50 AM
With a heat gun, some patience, and a pair of needle noise pliers, you can easily remove the weights on the regular (non TP) R5. The weights in there are screwed in, but also epoxied, hence the need for a heat gun to remove them. This will void your warantee, but it's an easy way to essentially get a R5 TP for $250.

I found this on sand trap has anyone tried it or heard off it?

3oneday
14th November 2005, 11:58 AM
With a heat gun, some patience, and a pair of needle noise pliers, you can easily remove the weights on the regular (non TP) R5. The weights in there are screwed in, but also epoxied, hence the need for a heat gun to remove them. This will void your warantee, but it's an easy way to essentially get a R5 TP for $250.

I found this on sand trap has anyone tried it or heard off it?I have read a few of these sorts of things.

Amazing isn't it, just by pulling the weights at the back you also get a smaller hosel size AND a squarer face............ NOT :lol:

Sounds like a lot of work to have the option of changing the swing weight :shock:

Pete

peter_rs
14th November 2005, 12:13 PM
who cares about hosel size. :shock:

as for a squarer face, open it at address (1* is hard to notice).... easy.

well you must get paid a lot pete if 5 min work (since i have the wrench and weights from my od r7) is worth the $400 RRP difference :wink:

I'm more interested in the fact that it would appear the weights could be moved, I just figured it was a cast to look like a r7.

markTHEblake
14th November 2005, 12:17 PM
as for a squarer face, open it at address (1* is hard to notice).... easy..

Doesnt the weight distribution of a clubhead help return a clubface to square (or relative if its closed or open)?

if yes, then opening it at address is not going to help.

3oneday
14th November 2005, 01:25 PM
who cares about hosel size. :shock: I do, I would prefer not to have to shim every decent shaft I wanted to use. There are a wider range of shafts in the .335 tip, but then you probably knew that I guess.

as for a squarer face, open it at address (1* is hard to notice).... easy.yes it is, but if it is shut and you already hit a hook, it is probably important. Different strokes for different folks...

well you must get paid a lot pete if 5 min work (since i have the wrench and weights from my od r7) is worth the $400 RRP difference :wink: ahh, so you already have weights and a wrench, well weights retail at about $25 each, a wrench over $50. So you have saved $150 there already then :wink: . Difference between a Diamana and a MAs or NV would be what, $200 ???

There you go mate, $350 in "accessories". Oh, and good luck with 5 minutes work as well, they are glued and sealed. Maybe an hours work, maybe 2, so suddenly it's cost me $750 :wink: , add the cost of buying an R5 for what, $350 ?? suddenly I have an $1,100 club which I could never sell !!!

Depends on how you value your time (and how to calculate it 8) )

Go figure..... :lol:

BrisVegas
14th November 2005, 01:40 PM
ouch. :P

peter_rs
14th November 2005, 01:49 PM
ok pete if you want an exact copy you have to change shafts.... but you forgot the tp logo then :wink:

The difference in shafts is only $100 extra by the way and I would not use a Diamana by choice.

Ok the topic title could be miss leading, I was as stated more interest to know if the stock r5 has the removeable weights glued in place or was it just a cast, in which case the quote from sand trap would be crap.

Jarro
14th November 2005, 01:50 PM
you're a nasty man 3oneday :P

3oneday
14th November 2005, 01:52 PM
ok pete if you want an exact copy you have to change shafts.... but you forgot the tp logo then :wink:

The difference in shafts is only $100 by the way and I would not use a Diamana by choice.

Ok the topic title could be miss leading, I was as stated more interest to know if the stock r5 has the removeable weights glued in place or was it just a cast, in which case the quote from sand trap would be crap.damn, I reckon that TP logo would take hours as well !!! :lol: :lol:

I have heard that there is more than glue holding the weights in, that there is some sort of bracket or brace as well. But yes, they can be got out apparently

Pete

3oneday
14th November 2005, 01:53 PM
you're a nasty man 3oneday  :Pjaryouarespeakingcrapyetagainro, no, just being blunt, Pete didn't take offense (i don't think so anyway). If he did, apologies.

Pete

peter_rs
14th November 2005, 01:54 PM
thank you pete :wink:

Jarro
14th November 2005, 02:02 PM
you're a blunt man 3oneday :P

peter_rs
14th November 2005, 02:11 PM
no offense, skin is to thick for that (or is that the layer of fat). :lol:

Now just to talk to someone who has done it.

jaster
14th November 2005, 02:13 PM
I have seen pictures of one done, not worth the risk IMO but I am not working and haven't the cash to waste. On the otherhand if you are willing to take the risk of wrecking your club (minor but still a risk) then do it ;)

FWIW Peter I agree with 3oneday, just by changing the weights you will not get a "TP" quality club. Face angle and hosel size asside, the COG is the most important difference between a TP and NON TP Kool club :)

peter_rs
14th November 2005, 02:50 PM
Jaster I'm not interested in doing it and have never said doing it would make a r5 a tp level head. I was just finding out if its possible.

If I did have the cash to waste I would just buy the r5 tp head. I don't have issuse with using lead tape to change COG.

ben
14th November 2005, 04:02 PM
Jaster I'm not interested in doing it and have never said doing it would make a r5 a tp level head. I was just finding out if its possible.

If I did have the cash to waste I would just buy the r5 tp head. I don't have issuse with using lead tape to change COG.

You cannot change the COG using lead tape.. unless you want to stick about 30 grams of the crap on.

peter_rs
14th November 2005, 06:22 PM
Ben, 8 grams of led can produce the same change in COG as swaping the 10 & 2 gram weight which comes in r7 and r5 tp. at this level changes to the club performance are small

yes club builders will say to use 30+g to see a change in club performance but I start to seeing it at about 12g.

ben
14th November 2005, 06:44 PM
Ben, 8 grams of led can produce the same change in COG as swaping the 10 & 2 gram weight which comes in r7 and r5 tp.  at this level changes to the club performance are small

yes club builders will say to use 30+g to see a change in club performance but I start to seeing it at about 12g.

Pete,

I've seen the LM data using the Wishon head that has weight bars inernally (chaning the weight that is very close to external in the TM clubs is a waste of time), and I can tell you you need around 30 grams to change the LA of the club. Also, the R5 is to big to move the COG with the little weight that you can move around.

What you need to do is measure the COG of the club without the weight, add the weight and then re-measure the COG. You'll find you have not moved it significantly with 12 grams. And if you need instructions on how to measure the COG of a golf club I am more than happy to show you how.

peter_rs
15th November 2005, 09:23 PM
significantly

key word there ben....

ben
16th November 2005, 07:27 AM
Pete,

by significantly I am saying that the tiny ammount the COG will have moved will have little or no effect on ball flight. What you would be feeling is the difference in swingweight and what that is doing to your swing more so than the move of COG. In fact I would doubt you could even pick where the COG of the head is in any of your clubs. The COG is the size of a needle head.