PDA

View Full Version : I think i cheated...

Fishman Dan
22nd June 2004, 01:15 PM
Who's going to squabble over a couple of feet, however..

I'm a foot off the green for 3 on the 18th (par 5). The other player is also beside the green, while our 36 hacker aged partner is carving her merry way up the fairway. Her 6th/7th (8th?) shot runs onto the green and knocks my ball aside, only a couple of feet, but without thinking i replace it.

I wasn't on the green, i was 15-20 cm's off (fringe).

Yes, i should know the rules better (waiting for the exact ruling from MtB), but after 5 hours and listening to repeated tirades from the 4th player in our group (who by now is lying on the grass hill next to the green for the players who haven't put their ball in their pocket after 4 poor shots), I didn't think through it properly and just wanted to get off the green and out of there. I've done a bad thing haven't I.

FYI - Missed the putt, easy 5/3.

CobraSS
22nd June 2004, 01:23 PM
[-X

bad boy fishy

amanda
22nd June 2004, 01:23 PM
Fishy - it's ok to replace a ball when it's hit by another when you're on the fairway. Happened to me - but I was the one doing the hitting!

Fishman Dan
22nd June 2004, 01:51 PM
Amanda - my concern with that is let's say i'm centre of the fairway for 1. I'm walking to my ball, but when i'm 200 metres away a stray ball knocks mine away. How can i be sure where my ball was located prior to being moved when i'm such a long way away?

amanda
22nd June 2004, 02:01 PM
As long as you and your marker agree on the rough spot where it was, it should be ok.

Fishman Dan
22nd June 2004, 02:56 PM
Like you'd be on a fairway...pullease ! :roll:

You saw right through my disguise.. come on, give me something - even hypomathetically.... now, to fully examine what i said.

let's say (hypotetical already) i'm centre of the fairway (this can happen) for 1 (this seldom happens).

Iain
22nd June 2004, 08:58 PM
Fishy,

Amanda is right, you can replace it, if you know exactly where the ball was located, you can just place it, but if you only know the rough area, you just have to drop it? It sounds like you were next to the ball when it got hit, as you knew it was 1 foot off the green? The only dodgy thing it sounds like you did was not inform your playing partners? But if they were nearby they would've seen it I guess?

If it was on the green you replace it also, but not suppose to drop it as that can damage green, I believe (Not that a well struck 8 iron to the middle of the green will leave it in perfect condition)? :roll:

Iain

Courty
22nd June 2004, 09:09 PM
Cheat!!!
You should have your round DQ'd, your handicap cancelled, and your membership revoked! :wink:

kidding. I think you have done the right thing.

McMw
22nd June 2004, 10:15 PM
well...u did the right thing - did u consult with ur marker?

I'm kinda surprised you don't know this ruling for sure??? :?

Fishman Dan
23rd June 2004, 08:50 AM
well...u did the right thing - did u consult with ur marker?
I'm kinda surprised you don't know this ruling for sure??? :?

The marker was standing alongside me when it happened, so there were no problems there.

I am aware of the rule allowing me to replace the ball on the green, i just wasn't sure about it off the green - or ever so slightly off the green in my case.

AndyP
23rd June 2004, 10:50 AM
Rule 18-5
Ball moved by another ball
If a ball in play and at rest is moved by another ball in motion after a stroke, the moved ball shall be replaced.
Note 2: If it is impossible to determine the spot on which a ball is to be placed, see Rule 20-3c.

Rule 20-3c
Spot Not Determinable
If it is impossible to determine the spot where the ball is to be placed or replaced:
(i) through the green, the ball shall be dropped as near as possible to the place where it lay but ont in a hazard or on a putting green;
(ii) in a hazard, tha ball shall be dropped in the hazard as near as possible to the place where it lay;
(iii) on the putting green, the ball shall be placed as near as possible to the place where it lay but not in a hazard.

Wow! It's amazing what a rule book can tell you. :roll: :P

markTHEblake
23rd June 2004, 10:53 AM
How old was the guy that you were playing with? hadnt he read a rule book for the last 50 years or so ? :-)

you gotta put the ball back exactly where it was no matter on the green or not, if your not sure exactly then you just make your best estimate. if not you would be pinged a couple of strokes penalty i think (or worse).

Fishman Dan
23rd June 2004, 11:27 AM
Wow! It's amazing what a rule book can tell you. :roll: :P

Now now, no need to get like that.
I can conceal reading golf forums all day to avoid work, but having the R&A Rules of Golf on my desk would be a bit of a giveaway ;)

AndyP
23rd June 2004, 11:44 AM
I can conceal reading golf forums all day to avoid work, but having the R&A Rules of Golf on my desk would be a bit of a giveaway ;)
Try the website then, and stop bothering us. :P :wink:

Jono
24th June 2004, 06:45 AM

Tough crowd ... ey, Fishy? :lol: I'd better hit the rule book before my next Ozgolf day ... the thing is it's more boring to read than Gray's Anatomy! :wink:

Golfgirl
25th June 2004, 08:51 PM

Tough crowd ... ey, Fishy? :lol: I'd better hit the rule book before my next Ozgolf day ... the thing is it's more boring to read than Gray's Anatomy! :wink:

Try sitting down and reading the Decisions on the Rules of Golf..... very, very long and tiring read - I can asssure you... :roll:

Fishman Dan
25th June 2004, 11:59 PM

Try sitting down and reading the Decisions on the Rules of Golf..... very, very long and tiring read - I can asssure you... :roll:

GG, you don't do a very good job of selling the idea ;)

Golfgirl
26th June 2004, 11:47 AM
GG, you don't do a very good job of selling the idea

No - but then, I don't think any of you are quite as nuts as I am to do such a thing.... :lol:

AndyP
26th June 2004, 12:22 PM
No - but then, I don't think any of you are quite as nuts as I am to do such a thing.... :lol:
Link please. :wink:

Golfgirl
26th June 2004, 05:25 PM
Link??? It's a book..... :?

markTHEblake
26th June 2004, 10:38 PM
www.randa.org

click on the rules button....

AndyP
27th June 2004, 08:10 AM
www.randa.org

click on the rules button....

Or more specifically:
Decisions on the Rules of Golf (http://www.randa.org/index.cfm?cfid=2196150&cftoken=44118052&languageid=1&action=rules.rulessub.decisionsappv2&ruleType=2)

Is this what you have been reading, GG :?:

Get to it Fishy. :roll:

Golfgirl
27th June 2004, 09:54 AM
A 600 odd page book is what I have read.... we keep a copy of it so that Matt and I can spend our evenings arguing about rules interpretations.....

Oh! how exciting our lives are! :? :lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
27th June 2004, 09:57 AM
Get to it Fishy. :roll:

I know rules, i just can't quote the number/clause at any given time. Besides, if i've got any problems i know i can just prompt you lot ;)

markTHEblake
27th June 2004, 02:45 PM
A 600 odd page book is what I have read

c'mon GG get with the times, download the PDF so you can view it on the laptop anywhere, anytime!

Golfgirl
29th June 2004, 03:06 PM
A 600 odd page book is what I have read

c'mon GG get with the times, download the PDF so you can view it on the laptop anywhere, anytime!

:oops: :oops: Call me old-fashioned, but I rather like books.... :lol: :lol: