PDA

View Full Version : Golf in the Coffs Harbour area

jimandr
10th November 2005, 04:03 PM
I've just spent a week on holiday in the Coffs harbour area. There are a few things worth talking about.

I didn't play Bonville this time. I've played it before, and don't really feel the need to pay over $100 for a game when on holiday.

I played Sawtell, and all 27 holes at Coffs Harbour. I've described the actual play at Coffs in the What did you shoot? thread.

My first recommendation for any visitors to the area is to seek out our north coast representative Coffs Hacker. He doesn't post very often, but he reads the forum occasionally. He owns a restaurant (I didn't go, so I can't do a review :) ) and doesn't get much time off, but he is excellent company on the course.

I liked Sawtell. I'd describe it as a 'golf-friendly' course. Not too long or difficult, but enough of a challenge to keep you interested. In excellent condition despite some problems they seem to have with ants (lots of ants nests in the rough, but none on the fairways). Cost was $26 for 18 holes. Good value.

Coffs Harbour is 27 holes. All three nines are good, but I'd rank 10-18 before 1-9, then 19-27 is a bit easier. This is a seriously good golf course, well designed and in excellent condition. Not too long, but most of the par 4's are doglegs, giving advantage to those who can shape the ball. I particularly liked the finishing holes on each nine, which all climb the hill to severely sloping greens.

I have reciprocal rights, so the comp cost me $9.50, and social golf was free. If visiting, check to see if you have reciprocals. It's a great deal.

I didn't play any other courses, but I asked the locals we played with about them. They reported that the course at Woolgoolga is now 18 holes, but the new holes need time to settle in. They said the course at Macksville isn't much chop, Urunga is similar. They hadn't felt the need to play at Dorrigo, so it mustn't be much either (great rainforest National Park though 8) ).

I've played Nambucca Heads before. I don't rate it highly, but I've heard others say nice things about it.

All in all, even if you don't play Bonville, the Coffs Harbour area is a great place to play some holiday golf. There were no flies either (unlike the swarms I've returned to in Sydney :!: ).

BrisVegas
10th November 2005, 06:32 PM
I've just spent a week on holiday in the Coffs harbour area.  There are a few things worth talking about.

My first recommendation for any visitors to the area is to seek out our north coast representative Coffs Hacker.  He doesn't post very often, but he reads the forum occasionally.  He owns a restaurant (I didn't go, so I can't do a review :) ) and doesn't get much time off, but he is excellent company on the course.

I can vouch for the restaurant. The food at Marias was sensational!!! 8) 8) 8)

Craig's not a bad bloke either, for a Toowoomba lad.... :wink: [/b]

Coffs_Hacker
10th November 2005, 10:33 PM
Must be the catholic schooling :P Hey Bris

Was Great to catch up with Jim again. Have to agree that the coffs course is in great shape at the moment, a fair bit of rain and the greens were mutilated 2mnths ago through the coring but have turned out excellent. I think jim found 19-27 easiest cause of his girly slices. The hole nine is set like that. Hopefully a few mre ozgolfers can make it this way over the xmas period.

Deano
15th January 2006, 11:10 AM
Coffs is actually a little north of my 'ol stompin' ground,Kempsey.
About 90mins away.

Don't know much about the courses north of Coffs, but south, towards Kempsey there are a few worth mentioning.........

Nambucca Heads GC - as mentioned,some luv it.I've always enjoyed the course.Layed out on an island and always in good nic.18holes.

Bowraville - very basic golf.9 holes.Would rate above Macksville mentioned earlier.Not worth turning off the hwy but fine for a hit'n giggle if your in town.

South West Rocks - Developing into a nice course.18holes.If holidaying at SWR be sure to take your clubs.Last I heard the price was around $30plus.

Frederickton - basic 9 hole track.Better than Bowraville.Couple of water carries.Approx $10 for 9.

Kempsey - 18 holes.Kangaroo's on course.Well watered with some quite small greens.Good variety of holes,with a few short dogleg par 4's and a couple on the long side,especially when the wind gets up.Club runs a $10(approx)for all the holes you can play after 2p(from memory)Great value.
Otherwise it's a little over $20 for 18.

Happy holidays :)

Deano

jimandr
8th November 2006, 11:23 PM
I'm not bumping this thread because I like to see my name on the front page (although that is true).

I have just returned from another November week on holidays, and I played more golf, at courses I didn't play last time. Besides, I know that Andy P is visiting shortly, so he may have something to add.

I played Nambucca Heads Island Golf Course with CoffsHacker. The course itself isn't anything special, but it is good fun. It's main claim to fame is its beautiful scenic setting, on an island in the Nambucca River. The first two holes have the river on the left edge of the fairway, and Coffs hit balls into the river on both holes. The course is dead flat. We played on a sunny day after many days of rain, so the course looked sensational. The other significant point is that the greens are bent grass. Every other course in the area is bermuda/tifdwarf etc. Green Fees were $27.50.

I also visited Macksville, which is a course you can see from the highway. It is only 9 holes (actually 10 holes), and pretty basic country golf. Small greens and hardly any bunkers. Not much to say except for the final hole, which is an absolute ripper of a par 5. Slightly uphill, but the fairway forms the crest of the hill. Miss on the left and the ball rolls down into the scrub. Miss on the other side and the ball rolls down a steeper slope into the trees. Green fees were $17.

Next stop was Urunga. This is also a nine holer, and dead flat except for the last hole. The course is very similar to the back nine at Forster, for those who have been there. The fairways were very good. Not difficult, but you need to hit good shots to get a good score. The local birds were really vicious in protecting their nests or young. The last hole is amazing. It is a 130m par three, all uphill, but the green is no more than 20m right from the clubhouse. You either hit the green (or the bunker) or you hit the clubhouse roof. Fees were $20.

The other stop was Woolgooga. This is a fairly new course, and it shows. The fairways were rough and ready and covered in the native grass, and the greens had patches of other grass starting to take over. The course will probably never be really good, as it is clearly a local community course owned and maintained by the members, so the money will never be available to make it good. This is a pity, because there are some great holes. You can see two holes from the highway, and one of them is one of the best short par 3's I've ever played. 120m long, with a four-tier/shelf green and water to the left. Hundreds of kangaroos on the course. $19 for 18 holes. Worth it just to play the 11th.

A summary based on two yearly visits and previous visits: Bonville is great to play once, but is poor value. Coffs Harbour is very good, Sawtell and Nambucca Heads are worth playing, and there are a number of other courses within an hour that all have something to offer.

If you lose interest in golf go to the Dorrigo National Park and do the Wonga walk, which takes about two hours, and includes two separate waterfalls. Absolutely sensational.

Andrew
9th November 2006, 05:51 AM
includes two separate waterfalls

.... and 18 signature holes.

The marketing for the latest Tom Fazio course. :lol:

Andrew
10th November 2006, 07:43 PM
You just can't help yourself can you Andy.

Maybe I'm saying how much I love Fazio's work & the way he incorporates waterfalls, rock pools & gardens into his design.

AndyP
15th November 2006, 03:43 PM
I've just given Bonville a call to suss things out for the end of this month.
The rack rate midweek is $99, but because they are doing a minor aeration of the greens (6mm instead of 24mm coring), it will be $79.

Most guys have said it's worth playing there once, so I don't want to pass up this opportunity while I am down there.

They also have an open comp on the Wednesday.

I only have permission for one round while I am down there, which is fair enough. Although there is a 9 hole par 3 course where we are staying that I'm allowed out on.

TS
15th November 2006, 03:58 PM
I only have permission for one round while I am down there, which is fair enough. Although there is a 9 hole par 3 course where we are staying that I'm allowed out on.

Don't brother with the Par 3 in the hotel, it is not worth the trouble. Go and play Coffs Harbour instead, it is only 5 minutes down the road.

AndyP
15th November 2006, 04:04 PM
Don't brother with the Par 3 in the hotel, it is not worth the trouble. Go and play Coffs Harbour instead, it is only 5 minutes down the road.
What trouble? Does it still cost money to play it, if I am staying there?

TS
15th November 2006, 04:08 PM
What trouble? Does it still cost money to play it, if I am staying there?

Yes, you do have to pay to play it and it is not worth the money they charge.

AndyP
15th November 2006, 04:11 PM
Bugger! Probably only Bonville golfing for me then.

AndyP
30th November 2006, 08:54 PM
I can vouch for the restaurant. The food at Marias was sensational!!! 8) 8) 8)
I'll also give my thumbs up to the restaurant. Very, very nice. In hindsight, I wish I had of gone there twice in my 4 night stay instead of once.
Compliments to the chef!

-----------------

I didn't play the Opal Cove Resort course, but I did run around it. I would have taken Mitchell around it just for fun, but with fertiliser pellets on the greens, I decided not too.

The course is bizarre. The 105m 2nd hole has big bushy trees overhanging the line just in front of the tee. I didn't think the PW would be enough loft to clear, which would leave you with a punch shot to get to the hole.

After the 3rd hole, you have to walk back along the 3rd and 2nd, to get to the 4th tee.

The 7th tee and 8th tee are next to each other, meaning you have to walk back down the 7th after playing it. The 8th is 60m across a creek, then a long walk around before finally getting to the green.

The course may have been better once, as I noticed some old practice nets. Maybe some villas got built over the top of some previous holes, and left a mess of the rest...

shavey
1st December 2006, 07:23 PM
Just like to thank CH for organising a hit at the Coffs Harbour GC a few days ago. We played in a 4BBB so much like an ambrose event, I found myself hitting shots I normally wouldn't.

The course itself was very enjoyable but does require some local knowledge on where to position tee shots and where not to leave it around the greens. Putting was interesting with some subtle undulations and varying speed always keeping you honest.

Enjoyed the company most of all and found myself in a slagging match with CH after a couple of holes. I just love meeting fellow ozgolfers for the first time :)

Thanks again CH, I will be back for sure and this time we will play for some coin ;)

BrisVegas
1st December 2006, 08:35 PM
Enjoyed the company most of all and found myself in a slagging match with CH after a couple of holes. I just love meeting fellow ozgolfers for the first time :)

Thanks again CH, I will be back for sure and this time we will play for some coin ;)

CH was warned not to play you for money, ya bandit. :smt002

AndyP
1st December 2006, 08:57 PM
CH was warned not to play you for money, ya bandit. :smt002 From two different sources.

Grunt
17th October 2008, 10:27 AM
Anyone played at Grafton GC, Looks ok from the Google Earth image.