PDA

View Full Version : OZgolf server change

AndyP
10th November 2005, 03:13 PM
Peoples

In case you didn't already know, OZgolf has changed servers, hence the downtime earlier this week.

This move was due to running out of diskspace on the previous host (which was the cause of the problems leading to the weekend downtime), and determining that it would be more efficient to change hosts than to upgrade.  

We are now sharing a server with clikchic's sites, however this shouldn't affect the way this site functions.  In fact, with more diskspace, we may have the opportunity to do some other cool things, such as, hosting some of the pictures.

Anyway, it's business as usual as far as the forum goes.

Cheers
Andy

Jarro
10th November 2005, 03:24 PM
when are we gonna change the layout/coloursetc  :roll:

sorry, but this green is starting to get a little dated.

AndyP
10th November 2005, 03:25 PM
when are we gonna change the colours  :roll:
Forgot to mention that this new server has locked in these colours. Sorry mate, our hands are tied.

Grunt
14th November 2005, 06:27 PM
Why is it woth teh new forum that I have to log in twice before it recognises my id? Is anyone esle having this problem?

drunken
14th November 2005, 06:31 PM
I used to have the same issue before it moved. If you login on a computer you don't normally use (ie no cookie for the site with your login details) it logs you out as soon as you login. The 2nd time you login it stays logged in.

Because the server has moved your old cookie won't recognise the site and so you need to log back in to create a new one.

I think....

Grunt
14th November 2005, 06:36 PM
yeah it is my desktop that is having the problem the laptop is fine, I guess it's cookies are scrambled.

goughy
14th November 2005, 07:39 PM
I have that problem all the time Grunt. If I enter the site and am not logged in, at least 3/4's of the time I have to log in twice. Don't know why. It's annoying because when I log in the second time the post show as all read and I can't select new posts.

Grunt
14th November 2005, 07:40 PM
Same thing happens here with no new posts.

AndyP
14th November 2005, 11:08 PM
It's annoying because when I log in the second time the post show as all read and I can't select new posts.
Drunken brought this up recently in the suggestion box.
I found a mod that can solve this by only marking threads as read, if you have actually read them.
I haven't fully checked it out yet, but it takes a good couple of hours to install from memory, so it's on the to do list.

Jarro
15th November 2005, 05:51 AM
has anyone noticed in the last couple of days that the site seems to run a little slow :? quite a few times i can't access a new page, it replies "cannot find server" quite a lot now :(

Is this just an initial glitch due to the server change, or will it be a permanent thing you think :?:

Grunt
15th November 2005, 06:02 AM
Yeah Jarro, I have had that too

Grunt
15th November 2005, 06:09 AM
Also the threads since your last visit does not update anymore if another thread was added while you were reading another, you have to hit refresh after clicking back.

BrisVegas
15th November 2005, 07:54 AM
I have that problem all the time Grunt.  If I enter the site and am not logged in, at least 3/4's of the time I have to log in twice.  Don't know why.  It's annoying because when I log in the second time the post show as all read and I can't select new posts.

Yeah I get that too. Very annoying! :x

AndyP
15th November 2005, 09:36 AM
has anyone noticed in the last couple of days that the site seems to run a little slow :? quite a few times i can't access a new page, it replies "cannot find server" quite a lot now :(

Is this just an initial glitch due to the server change, or will it be a permanent thing you think :?:

Also the threads since your last visit does not update anymore if another thread was added while you were reading another, you have to hit refresh after clicking back.
I don't have the answers to your questions, as I don't deal with the server side of things.

Eag's
15th November 2005, 11:45 AM
Is anybody else having trouble logging in using a different browser?
I am using Firefox and having trouble :smt017

AndyP
15th November 2005, 11:56 AM
Is anybody else having trouble logging in using a different browser?
I am using Firefox and having trouble  :smt017
I use Firefox at home and have not had any problems, Eag's.

markTHEblake
15th November 2005, 12:19 PM
I use mozilla sometimes and i gotta login twice.

however when i use a real browser its ok.

Ducky
15th November 2005, 12:46 PM
What do you define as a real browser? One that complies to web standards or one that uses proprietary standards?

Eag's
15th November 2005, 03:05 PM
What do you define as a real browser? One that complies to web standards or one that uses proprietary standards?

I like Firefox because it dosen't have all the crap that comes with explorer, plus it is a lot faster.

Ducky
15th November 2005, 04:36 PM
I use Firefox too, as I find it a lot more convenient than the current version of Internet Explorer (this may change when Windows Vista is released). I was just curious as to what MTB was referring to when he said "a real browser".

drunken
18th November 2005, 12:22 PM
Can't login at all using firefox at the moment....have to use IE again....

AndyP
18th November 2005, 12:32 PM
Can't login at all using firefox at the moment....have to use IE again....
So it's not a problem at your end?
I'm a firefox user and have no problem at all logging in.

Grunt
18th November 2005, 05:55 PM
I think it is a cookie thing it only happens on my desktop and does not happen every time either, very wierd.

drunken
19th November 2005, 10:29 AM
Ok, looks like its a cookies issue with the latest beta of Firefox. I've got the beta installed on my laptop & it doesn't remember me. But my parents have the last full release installed & it remembers me perfectly on that.

AndyP
19th November 2005, 03:19 PM
Ok, looks like its a cookies issue with the latest beta of Firefox. I've got the beta installed on my laptop & it doesn't remember me. But my parents have the last full release installed & it remembers me perfectly on that.
Phew. I was about to organise changing servers, so you could log in. We can't have northern NSW not being represented on the forum.

Glad that you figured out the problem in the end, drunken.

drunken
19th November 2005, 03:54 PM
Upgraded to todays 1.5 release it and it now logs me in..YAY

markTHEblake
19th November 2005, 08:45 PM
What do you define as a real browser?

A browser that works.

AndyP
24th November 2005, 02:19 PM
Chatroom is currently unavailable as it has also had a server change. Don't know when I'll be able to have it running again.

3oneday
24th November 2005, 02:31 PM
Chatroom is currently unavailable as it has also had a server change.  Don't know when I'll be able to have it running again.Are you gunna rename it "The Andys" chatroom ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
26th November 2005, 05:41 PM
Why is it woth teh new forum that I have to log in twice before it recognises my id? Is anyone esle having this problem?

On the 2nd login, select "Remember my Details", and when it takes you to the main Forum menu, add a Favourite (bookmark, or whatever FireFox and other crap uses) and replace the old one.