PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Australian cricket team

markTHEblake
10th November 2005, 12:04 PM
given that in most cases the Australian bowls are carried by Warne and Mcgrath what is the point of playing other bowlers. Warne typically bowls at least 1/3 of total overs and Mcgrath bowls a great deal of the rest.

Would this team structure like this get better results than the current one?
(dont worry about the actual names - its just a hypothetical based on the type of player)

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Katich
Gichrist
Symonds
Watson
Warne
Mcgrath

There are 6 bowlers there, 4 blokes to share it around when the other two are knackered.

Toolish
10th November 2005, 12:19 PM
I would put Brett Lee in as an alrounder rather that Watson or Symonds...nearly as good with the bat and a better bowler. To me watson and symonds are both batting allrounders. you need one batting alrounder and one bowling alrounder and the team would be pretty good I reckon.

That is as long as Warne or McGrath don't break down during the match!!

Fishman Dan
10th November 2005, 05:57 PM
Blake - perhaps a good 1 day squad, but not test cricket. Remember, test cricket is about taking 20 wickets, not scoring 1000 runs.

The current selectors need to be shot. I support picking Symonds, he's in good form, but Hodge is a digrace. He's made 1 score since the Ashes tour, a whopping 70 or something in a nothing match.

The selectors keep picking batsmen or all-rounders, but they fail to see that we won the last test by 350 runs! We didn't even need to bat again, but Ponting's "I play for my own stats" captaincy means that we'll never again make a team follow-on.

Include MacGill in the current team - no other changes (although Katich got the ar$e), and i doubt the Windies or Sth Africa will get past 250 for the remaining 10 innings that we bowl this summer. We don't need to post scores of 450+.

Moe Norman
22nd November 2005, 11:18 AM
batting was the problem in the ashes, NOT bowling.

pull your head out of you arse, hodge is a quality player who has produced the goods year after year in first class cricket.

We have to develop a side to beat the top nations, we could beat the windies with 8 blokes - doesn't mean we only play with 8.

Grunt
22nd November 2005, 12:40 PM
My Ideal Team

1. Hayden
2. Langer
3. Ponting
4. Clarke (when back in form)
5. Hussey
6. Gilchrist
7. Lee
8. Warne
9. Bracken
10. Macgill
11. McGrath

We don't need an allrounder anymore, our bowlers are turning themselves into them. Lee will score a test century one day. Bracken is in there for variety. If he were there on Sunday I don't think that Bravo and Ramdin would have lasted as long with all the variety that Ponting could have thrown at them. Go on hit me with all your comments be it good or bad.

BrisWesty
22nd November 2005, 03:09 PM
It's not a bad team Grunt.

At the moment I'd swap Hodge for Clarke, even though Clarke has every chance of playing 100 tests. There's no sin in going back to Pura Cup to score a truckload of runs to get back into the team. Goodness knows how many Hodge and Hussey have had to score to get there in the first place.

In terms of up and comers - Phil Jaques, Domenic Thornely, Wise (not sure if that is how his surname is spelled), Denton (if he can stay injury free).

In terms of those who have a black mark against their name, but who could come back in at a pinch: Martyn, Bevan (last year), Lehmann (anyone for a triple ton?), Bichel (7/ & 84 in last match), Kasprowicz (8/ in last match), and Gillespie if he gets his rhythm back

Grunt
22nd November 2005, 04:24 PM
It's not a bad team Grunt.

At the moment I'd swap Hodge for Clarke, even though Clarke has every chance of playing 100 tests.  There's no sin in going back to Pura Cup to score a truckload of runs to get back into the team.  Goodness knows how many Hodge and Hussey have had to score to get there in the first place.

I wonder how long it will take for Clarke to get another go, I know he is young but how long do they expect to keep him down for. It could also work against him if he does not get sound advice on how to get back into the team, he could just think he will be a Pura cup player for life.
Do you all reckon that he is out of the one day team too now?

AndyP
22nd November 2005, 04:35 PM
I wonder how long it will take for Clarke to get another go, I know he is young but how long do they expect to keep him down for. It could also work against him if he does not get sound advice on how to get back into the team, he could just think he will be a Pura cup player for life.
I read that Ponting has been providing him with advice, and he has been there and done that.

Do you all reckon that he is out of the one day team too now?
Shouldn't be.

goughy
22nd November 2005, 07:35 PM
I think benout (whatever) once said that he didn't know why the selectors were spending so much time looking for an allrounder, when warne was already in the team. Add lee to that and the problem is solved. I agree that they have more than proven themselves. How often is one of them (or both) in the top 3 or 4 highest run scorers in an innings?

Moe Norman
23rd November 2005, 03:39 PM
My Proposed XI for the 2009 Ashes Tour (Age in 2009)

1. Phil Jacques (26)
2. Michael Hussey (35)
3. Ricky Ponting (34)
4. Brad Hodge (35)
5. Shane Watson (28)
6. Michael Clarke (28)
7. Chris Hartley (26)
8. Brett Lee (33)
9. Jason Gillespie (34)
10. Alan Wise (26)
11. Stuart MacGill (37)

Nicely balanced. Lee & Dizzy with new ball. Alan Wise bowling his left arm swingers from his 6'10" Frame providing swing and bounce. Classy top order. Good keeper batsman, exceptional spinner and a handy 5th bowling option in Watson.

AndyP
23rd November 2005, 04:05 PM
Moe, you don't think that Cameron White will be ready by then?

Jarro
23rd November 2005, 08:59 PM
Moe, there's no chance in hell Dizzy will be around for Australia in 2009 :roll:

The guy's played his last Test.

Moe Norman
24th November 2005, 10:45 PM
why is that? He's only 30....

Our second best pace bowler of the past 10 years isn't allowed one minor form slump?

The guy is the second best pace bowler in the world when at his best, never mind Australia.

Jarro
24th November 2005, 10:55 PM
he's also one of the most injury prone bowlers in the history of the game.

Moe Norman
26th November 2005, 06:45 PM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17370515-23210,00.html

has found some form

Virgal_Tracy
29th November 2005, 11:16 AM
We might both be showing state allegiences here Moe, but I really can't believe that you have Hartley ahead of Haddin. Hartley's only played 10 matches and averages less than 1 more than Haddin who has been there for 60+. Haddin for me as Keeper / batsman.

I think selectors have earmarked Mitchell Johnson as the future of Australia's pace attack.

Batsman take your pick. Dominic Thornley has his hand raised at the moment as does Cosgrove from SA. Cosgrove may not fit the image of the modern day professional cricketer but he would certainly add character the way that Merv and Boonie did.

Moe Norman
30th November 2005, 01:19 PM
no doubt, if Gilly dropped dead tomorrow Haddn would be keeper.

I'm talking about 4 years from now. Haddin will be over 30, Hartley will be 27 and in his prime, he's a quality player that will only get better. Not to mention his glovework is already better than Haddin's. Haddin is a quality hard hitting batsmen that keeps a bit.

However, as I said Haddin is #2 now, but for how long is a matter of opinion.

PS: I'm Victorian.