PDA

View Full Version : Gimmies

Shortylook
11th February 2013, 02:49 PM
I played with a local golf member the other day and he was quite happy to give himself gimmies from about 1-2 feet. I told him ill putt my ball out and suggested he did the same, but no, he gives himself the gimmie. Then he turns around and kicks my ball over to me on a par 3 even though I would of been putting for 4. What do you doin this situation guys

Monsta
11th February 2013, 02:53 PM
I played with a local golf member the other day and he was quite happy to give himself gimmies from about 1-2 feet. I told him ill putt my ball out and suggested he did the same, but no, he gives himself the gimmie. Then he turns around and kicks my ball over to me on a par 3 even though I would of been putting for 4. What do you doin this situation guys

Only times gimmies apply are in matchplay and social golf. Normally in social golf I would putt out because its practice and thats the idea of playing....

sms316
11th February 2013, 02:55 PM
Anything less than a grip length is fair enough, as long as it isn't a club champs etc. Speeds up play.

Monsta
11th February 2013, 02:57 PM
Anything less than a grip length is fair enough, as long as it isn't a club champs etc. Speeds up play.

My opponent on Sunday missed 3 from that distance.. glad I didnt let him have them ;)

AndyP
11th February 2013, 02:58 PM
That's an incentive to get a broomie, if I've ever heard one.

sms316
11th February 2013, 02:58 PM
My opponent on Sunday missed 3 from that distance.. glad I didnt let him have them ;) Nobody misses short putts in Div 1. ;)

rubin
11th February 2013, 03:00 PM

if it was in a comp, i believe its a DQ. not completing the hole, and signing for an incorrect score.

if it wasn't - no biggy. leave him be. As SMS said, it speeds up play a bit.

popper81
11th February 2013, 03:07 PM
Anything less than a grip length is fair enough, as long as it isn't a club champs etc. Speeds up play. I agree with SMS... As long as everybody agrees. Shits me to tears watching people mark from a foot.

Captain Nemo
11th February 2013, 03:08 PM

In a Comp?
No way, deosnt happen at our club period, if you get caught, or dobbed in you get your nuts cut off......
Only allowed in matchplay.

Shortylook
11th February 2013, 03:09 PM
Ok cheers guys, it was just a game between us 2 and it was only 9 holes, so maybe he was just speeding things up. I didn't know what match play was so ill assume it was that then ha ha. But I did win 2 longnecks of emu export for my efforts though

Monsta
11th February 2013, 03:13 PM
I agree with SMS... As long as everybody agrees. Shits me to tears watching people mark from a foot.

Not in comp rounds, but I also hate people that mark one or two footer, just finish the putt off........ It was the same line that you saw when you hit it the first time, no need to check the line again from that distance ...........

hocko
11th February 2013, 03:28 PM
I do!

Marto65
11th February 2013, 03:31 PM
Not in comp rounds, but I also hate people that mark one or two footer, just finish the putt off........ It was the same line that you saw when you hit it the first time, no need to check the line again from that distance ...........

Peter_rs never does that ... until this Friday.

Captain Nemo
11th February 2013, 03:34 PM
If its not comp, do whatever you please, at the end of the day your only cheating yourself.
JAT.
;)

Courty
11th February 2013, 03:43 PM
Anything less than a grip length is fair enough, as long as it isn't a club champs etc. Speeds up play. Nice try, troll. ;)

Monsta
11th February 2013, 03:46 PM
Peter_rs never does that ... until this Friday.

I might have to "accidently" sherman one into that bruised ankle if he does :lol:

sms316
11th February 2013, 03:46 PM
Nice try, troll. ;) That's the best part. Nobody believes we do it since we are all pennant players.

markTHEblake
11th February 2013, 03:47 PM
If its not comp, do whatever you please, at the end of the day your only cheating yourself.JAT.;)In USA gimmes are allowed for rounds that count for handicap purposes. So by definition it is not cheating oneself.

live4golf
11th February 2013, 03:55 PM
Ok cheers guys, it was just a game between us 2 and it was only 9 holes, so maybe he was just speeding things up. I didn't know what match play was so ill assume it was that then ha ha. But I did win 2 longnecks of emu export for my efforts though

What was second prize? - 4 longnecks?

Captain Nemo
11th February 2013, 03:55 PM
In USA gimmes are allowed for rounds that count for handicap purposes. So by definition it is not cheating oneself.
Last time i checked, we arnt in the Good Old US of A Blakey, but hey if you want gimmies, knock yourselves out......;)

Captain Nemo
11th February 2013, 03:56 PM
My opponent on Sunday missed 3 from that distance.. glad I didnt let him have them ;)

There you go, best reason ever to not give them!:lol:

mudrat
11th February 2013, 04:24 PM
No gimmes in comp play for mine, social play do whatever you please!

Monsta
11th February 2013, 04:25 PM
Nobody misses short putts in Div 1. ;)

Never?
Never ever???

virge666
11th February 2013, 04:29 PM

Yep

My thoughts exactly.

sms316
11th February 2013, 04:32 PM
Never?
Never ever???
I didn't miss from inside 10ft in the whole season last year. :smt019

I do remember one funny one in pennant back in Canberra though. I was playing for Belconnen against Goulburn and they had a notorious hothead playing for them. He drew the quietest, well mannered bloke in our team who really should have been rolled comfortably. Kane Orr worded him up and told him that if he hung in there to make old mate putt one close one.

Well he got to the 16th one down and made a par. Old mate putted for the win and left it about 8 inches away. Our guy just stood there and looked at him with the best poker face ever. Old mate taps in and walks off with a mixture of bemusement and all out anger.

Old mate finished double-double to lose 1 down. :lol:

sms316
11th February 2013, 04:33 PM
Yep

My thoughts exactly.
Just don't do it in a stroke round. ;)

markTHEblake
11th February 2013, 06:26 PM
Last time i checked, we arnt in the Good Old US of A Blakey, but hey if you want gimmies, knock yourselves out......;)

Obviously I know that, otherwise I wouldnt have mentioned it, and I never said I wanted gimmes. So in light of one country declaring gimmes as legitimate for handicap purposes, by what or whose standard are you saying they are cheating themselves?

Hatchman
11th February 2013, 06:36 PM

I do remember one funny one in pennant back in Canberra though. I was playing for Belconnen against Goulburn and they had a notorious hothead playing for them. He drew the quietest, well mannered bloke in our team who really should have been rolled comfortably. Kane Orr worded him up and told him that if he hung in there to make old mate putt one close one.

Well he got to the 16th one down and made a par. Old mate putted for the win and left it about 8 inches away. Our guy just stood there and looked at him with the best poker face ever. Old mate taps in and walks off with a mixture of bemusement and all out anger.

The game within the game. Love it :lol:.

Captain Nemo
11th February 2013, 06:40 PM
I never said that you said you ever wanted to give gimmies!
Just thought it was odd you referenced the USA?
Not in the spirit of the game in comps IMO, as Rubin said, if you haven't holed out, you've signed for an incorrect scorecard, that's how we roll at Royal Kogarah....;)
The yanks can give themselves gimmies all day long for all I care!

PeteyD
11th February 2013, 07:36 PM
The yanks don't have the comps like we have. I am sure when they play in comps there are no gimmes.

markTHEblake
11th February 2013, 07:45 PM
I never said that you said you ever wanted to give gimmies!
Correct. But you threw it in as a just in case argument. I find it puzzling that people often propose arguments like this " If you think X then Y"

Just thought it was odd you referenced the USA?

But I said why I referenced it.

Not in the spirit of the game in comps IMO,
but both you and I are not talking about comps, that is clear.

The yanks can give themselves gimmies all day long for all I care!
It wasn't about whether anyone else cares, I gave an example where gimmes do not invalidate a legitimate score, so how is a golfer only cheating himself? Surely golf ethics is the same world wide.

Johnny Canuck
11th February 2013, 07:46 PM
Usga rule 1-1: gimmies are not permitted.

markTHEblake
11th February 2013, 07:54 PM
Usga rule 1-1: gimmies are not permitted.

Yep, something like that. However as you also know every time a golfer plays, even by himself, even not 18 holes, he must submit his score for handicap purpose. For any hole not finished he must enter his "most likely score". In other words, if he took a gimme from 6 inches, then his most likely score is pretty obvious, (except for Lagerlover)

Johnny Canuck
11th February 2013, 08:17 PM
Is this only at home courses Blakey?

markTHEblake
11th February 2013, 08:49 PM
Rhetorical question? :-)

Johnny Canuck
11th February 2013, 09:20 PM
How does it work when they go out and hit about 4 balls per hole when practicing?

This would be impossible to manage.

Shortylook
11th February 2013, 09:23 PM
Ha ha, if that was the case I would of played even shitter than I usually do 😉

PeteyD
11th February 2013, 09:29 PM
How does it work when they go out and hit about 4 balls per hole when practicing?

This would be impossible to manage.

It is how it is done. Without the weekly comps like we have not sure ow it works. but every round played as a golf round is supposed to be counted.

BenM
11th February 2013, 09:37 PM

Now there's a name from the past - how is Kane these days? I played against him at Belco about 20 years ago when I was a junior... managed to hang in until about the 16th or 17th hole which was a pretty good effort (I think he had to give me about 8 shots though, I would've been off 11 at the time and he would've been off 2 or something)... Used to see him up there a fair bit.

Those moment in matchplay are great though. Get 'em riled up, it's top fun. I did that to a bloke in the club champs this year, made him putt a slider 2 footer for par and he looked at me as if to ask wtf... I won the next 3 holes from memory.

In other news, I would ordinarily say gimmes are a no no in anything but a social round but it really depends... I play regularly with an old bloke who's off 36 and struggles to play to it. Occasionally we let him have one, or turn a blind eye to a 'practice swing'. But he's usually got no hope of troubling the leaderboard much and is only there for a good time so it's cheating nobody.

Shortylook
11th February 2013, 09:46 PM
I didn't mean for it to turn into a shit fest people, I really wanted to know how you would handle telling said player you didn't want to gimmie your putts.sorry my bad

BenM
11th February 2013, 09:47 PM
I didn't mean for it to turn into a shit fest people, I really wanted to know how you would handle telling said player you didn't want to gimmie your putts.sorry my bad

What I do is I say 'hey do you mind if I just putt this one out, because I want to play properly for my stats'.

markTHEblake
11th February 2013, 09:50 PM
you dont know? its only over the border from Ca, just like us heading down tweed for some herbs.

I dont think the yanks do that anyway. they get cranky even at blokes who dont 'play the ball down' even when on their own.

Shortylook
11th February 2013, 10:10 PM
Cheers Benny, I'm going to start doing that, I know I'll probably add a heap of strokes to my game, but I wanna get better, so playing it out is the only way.

BenM
11th February 2013, 10:39 PM
Cheers Benny, I'm going to start doing that, I know I'll probably add a heap of strokes to my game, but I wanna get better, so playing it out is the only way.

Yeah for sure... you can save heaps of shots by putting well and making sure you don't miss from short range. Only way to do that is practice, practice, practice - and have confidence.

Hatchman
12th February 2013, 12:37 AM
Gimmies are only for match play.

You should always finish off on the putting green by holing out as your practising what you want to do when playing comp.
You'll get better with those short ones 2-3 footers the more you practice them. This is most important for the higher handicap players as this is where they often waste shots.

Dotty
12th February 2013, 08:18 AM
Both Scott Hoch and Doug Sanders wish that gimmies were allowed in golf.

ps. And that Korean chick in the last US Open.

Sydney Hacker
12th February 2013, 08:33 AM
Didn't Killara (Sydney's North Shore) get in a little strife with the PGA a few years back? They were basically condoning gimmes in comp, so long as they were within a putter grips length.