PDA

View Full Version : Alright....Scotch Drinkers...I need you help

jaster
8th November 2005, 04:03 PM
Any Scotch drinkers here? I have always had an interest in fine scotch but never really got into it as much as I would have liked. So once I finish my chemo a few people I know are pitching in and buying me a cheap little collection to start me off...I am pretty new to it all though so any help would be appreciated.

At the moment through golf wins I have the following waiting to be spilt: -

Ballantines Finest (cheap and nasty I have been told but I like it)
JW Red
Dalwhinnie 15 year

Thanks

Jaster

3oneday
8th November 2005, 04:12 PM
At the moment through golf wins I have the following waiting to be spilt: -

Ballantines Finest (cheap and nasty I have been told but I like it)
JW Red
Dalwhinnie 15 year

Thanks

JasterMate, I'd go for the Blue, a little softer. The Tour is good, the 56 is great :wink:

:lol:  :lol:

Jarro
8th November 2005, 04:16 PM
Chivas Regal's nice.

i prefer Bourbon myself :smt030

AndyP
8th November 2005, 04:16 PM
I like Scotch and Irish Whiskies, Jaster. Mmmmm.

Glenfiddich
Chivas Regal
JW Black
Jamesons
JW Red

The above have all sat on my shelf from time to time. 4 and 5 the most likely.

For something a little different try Canadian Club Whiskey too (That's what I've got ATM)

:smt030

jaster
8th November 2005, 04:17 PM
I'll ignore your Callaway ball comments :roll: Hmm...so the blue hey...what's the damage though for a blue?

jaster
8th November 2005, 04:17 PM
Sheesh...I just looked up the BLUE!! Far out it would be dear!! :shock:

3oneday
8th November 2005, 04:20 PM
Sheesh...I just looked up the BLUE!! Far out it would be dear!!  :shock:really, there's a Blue ??? :oops:

:lol: :lol:

AndyP
8th November 2005, 04:20 PM
Sheesh...I just looked up the BLUE!! Far out it would be dear!!  :shock:
My Brother In Law just got the next JW up from the Blue.  Can't remember what it was called though.  :smt017   He got it duty free, and it still cost a shit load.

Scotches you don't need to try:

Black Douglas (passable, but nothing special)
Vat21

Eag's
8th November 2005, 06:10 PM
I got my hands on a nice bottle of 18 year old Glenfiddich just the other day :D

Fishman Dan
8th November 2005, 06:35 PM
Jaster, the more you pay, the better the drink. Simple - just like golf clubs ;)

JW Blue is the most expensive (there's allegedly a Gold as well), but when compared to other Scotch's it's probably not the nicest.

I'm not a big scotch drinker, but a nice way for noobs like us is Scotch'n'Dry - with Dry Ginger Ale.

Forget about Bourbon too :?

Grunt
8th November 2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah Dan there is a gold too, very very pricey

goughy
8th November 2005, 06:59 PM
Scotch and dry is the way to go. Glenfiddich is nice for the price. JW red or black is ok. I don't think I've had any other.

jaster
8th November 2005, 07:02 PM
AndyP - I have tried Jamesons...great drop 8) Sounds like the Candadian club would be one to try....and cheap as well :) Chivas Regal is a great suggestion as well (thanks also Jarro!)...I have actually tried Chivas Royal :shock: One glass..OMFG it was nice...and dear as well!!! My oldies love black douglas, I have never tried it.

Eag's - Love to try a drop thanks :wink: :lol:

Fishy - I'll be a tight a$$ scotch drinker...budget UDL cans maybe :lol: Bourbon I really don't like :P

Jarro
8th November 2005, 07:03 PM

bite your tongue Danny-boy, it's mothers milk ... especially with dry 8)

Grunt
8th November 2005, 07:05 PM
I am more of a bourbon Drinker or Bundy.

AndyP
8th November 2005, 08:02 PM
I got my hands on a nice bottle of 18 year old Glenfiddich just the other day :D
Glenfiddich has been my favourite so far (spoilt myself with a bottle when I was in Canberra last year). I can only imagine how nice the 18 year old drop is.

The Canadian Club is virtually a bourbon...kinda sweet.
OK, it's nice whatever it is.

My Brother In Law just got the next JW up from the Blue.
Must have been the Gold that he got then. I wonder if he'll let me have a taste.

jaster
8th November 2005, 08:12 PM
JW Blue label is the dearest from what I have seen.....twice the price of the Gold!!

Johnnie Walker Gold 700ml - $200ish... :shock:

Johnnie Walker Blue 700ml - $350ish... :shock: :shock:

http://www.chancellorscellars.com.au/category262_3.htm

Looks like it might be worth importing some from the USA ;)

http://www.beerliquors.com/buy/liquors/johnnywalker.htm

terryand
8th November 2005, 08:13 PM
JW Blue label is the dearest from what I have seen.....twice the price of the Gold!!

Johnnie Walker Gold 700ml - $200ish... :shock:

Johnnie Walker Blue 700ml - $350ish... :shock:  :shock:

http://www.chancellorscellars.com.au/category262_3.htm

Looks like it might be worth importing some from the USA ;)

http://www.beerliquors.com/buy/liquors/johnnywalker.htm

You really think it will get past the baggage handlers :roll:

Terry.

jaster
8th November 2005, 08:31 PM
:lol: True mate :wink:

Matt 3 Jab
8th November 2005, 08:46 PM
i work in a bottle shop, i would say go chivas or even an irish one which is a little smoother, say a black bush, up from that JW green is a single malt and then things like chivas 18 yr old and JW gold and Blue is top shelf.

3oneday
8th November 2005, 08:55 PM
say a black bushok, a black bush :? :?

:lol: :lol: seriously, do they call a drink that :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jarro
8th November 2005, 08:56 PM
i work in a bottle shop.

so can we get an Ozgolf discount :wink: :lol:

Matt 3 Jab
8th November 2005, 09:02 PM
black bush is an irish wisky and its very nice, and ozgolfers can get a discount by quoting to me "i have an ugly head and need this to make me look good" :lol: its the secret code!

Choppa
8th November 2005, 09:04 PM
Surprised I haven't seen Dimple mentioned yet......

AndyP
8th November 2005, 09:09 PM
A mate of mine has Cutty Sark. I haven't had enough of it to form an opinion on it though.

ozgolfers can get a discount by quoting to me "i have an ugly head and need this to make me look good"
How about "Matt, I think you are an excellent putter" as the secret code instead?

How much does a bottle of Black Bush typically go for, M3J? Can't say I have taken notice of it on the shelves

Matt 3 Jab
8th November 2005, 09:12 PM
saying im a good putter, that might get you a bottle of blue!!!
black bush is around 45, worth the extra money for sure! its bottled in the oldest irish distiliary, and they also make a $100 bottle, but the $45 is nice! smoother than scotch wisky IMO

Fishman Dan
8th November 2005, 09:15 PM

bite your tongue Danny-boy, it's mothers milk ... especially with dry  8)

That's 2 votes for Bourbon... 69 and Jarro. :?

Must say though, if you get onto a really good scotch (price or reputation), don't waste it with a mixer ;)

wavemaker
9th November 2005, 09:47 AM
Try a few single malts, Lafroaig is one that springs to mind and Glenmorangie is another, easiest way to get into it if you are real keen is to join 1 of the Scotch Whisky appreciation clubs. I can prolly get you a number for that if you want it.

jaster
9th November 2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks Wavey, a friend is a member here in town so I'll look him up as soon as I am up to it. I might start off slow first though and go from there :wink:

drunken
9th November 2005, 04:57 PM
Yeah the Blue is good stuff. GF's father has about 10 bottles of Gold. Very very nice as well. I can't see that the blue is worth $150 more, it certainly doesn't taste that much better.

amanda
9th November 2005, 05:03 PM
I can vouch for both Glenfiddich and Chivas - both are very nice in Christmas cakes :wink: :D

(you don't use much though - 1/4 cup and then a little to brush all over afterwards)

Jarro
9th November 2005, 06:21 PM
C'mon Mandy, i'll bet you take a little swig outta the bottle don't you :wink: :lol:

Bruce
9th November 2005, 07:52 PM
For the "got home from work and need to unwind with something smooth and comforting" times, I want something without a lot of the peat and smoke flavours so I chose an Irish Whiskey like Jameson's or a blend like Chivas or Black Douglas if I am going cheap.

For "playing poker and getting hammered" type occasions then we want something single malt. I have enjoyed various Glenfiddichs, Dimples, Dalwinghy (or however that is spelled). The only single malt I didn't really like was from Bowmores (I think). It was just wrong.

Fishman Dan
9th November 2005, 10:09 PM
Jameson's has the stigma of being Kinky Friedman's weakness. Don't mind Jameson's, but it's not top shelf by any means.

Haven't seen anyone mention Glenlivet either... another better-than-par drink.

Andrew
10th November 2005, 07:21 AM
Glenmorangie (my absolute favourite) is a highland malt about 10 years old.

Tallisker, from the Isle of Skye, will blow your socks off.

Ben Nevis have a nice little single malt aged for 26 years

Cutty Sark is a blended Whiskey that is excellent as well.

There is so much good scotch that never sees our shores. There are little distilleries all over Scotland that make wonderful single malts that are all different.

It would take a year to visit them all, but with all that drinking you would forget everything, so you would have to do it again. And so on, an so on ....

Flowergirl
10th November 2005, 10:28 AM
My vote goes to Lagavulin............poured over a few ice cubes and sipped. Absolutely "mothers milk". A real peaty smoky flavour. Don't know the cost - I've only ever received it as gifts.

jaster
10th November 2005, 04:12 PM
That Lagavulin looks nice FG...will have to try some.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, a few scotch fans here then ;) Golf, scotch and cigars...hand in hand I have been told..not a smoker though so will have to pass on the cigar :lol: