PDA

View Full Version : Clone vs OEM

Virgal_Tracy
8th November 2005, 02:26 PM
I am looking to upgrade clubs and having tried quite a lot do like the Cally BB Fusions (expnsive) and Ping G2's.

Both have a clone version Acer XP Hollow and Oxygen Type S. I know that there are a couple of players using the Oxygen's. What do people think in terms of any difference between OEm's and the clones.

Ben will do me a great price on the XP's and I would much rather spend my money with him than pay the excessive prices Cally wants for the Fusions.

Thoughts from those who have hit both OEM's and Clones please

3oneday
8th November 2005, 02:41 PM
Thoughts from those who have hit both OEM's and Clones pleaseI could go on for a page and a half about this subject. Two questions....

Do you care about resale value ?
Does your ego play a part in your golf game ?

If the answer is NO to both, go clones....

Pete

jaster
8th November 2005, 02:53 PM
Great answer Pete :lol:

Virgal_Tracy
8th November 2005, 03:18 PM
Don't care about resale and don't have enough game to have an ego about it. Don't really care what the name on a club says as long as it takes me less shots to get that little white b*stard in the hole.

As long as the clones play like the OEM's do then I don't care what is written on them.

Jarro
8th November 2005, 03:22 PM
a big benefit of getting the clones from Ben would be that you'd get good shafts installed, and they'd probably be fitted to your swing as well .... so you should hit them well from the start 8)

are you seeing Ben in person to get them fitted :?:

3oneday
8th November 2005, 03:25 PM
As long as the clones play like the OEM's do then I don't care what is written on them.In my experience they will, clones are generally well made and you will get a decent shaft as well (ie, no clone shaft). It's counterfeits that are crap, a world of difference there.....

I do recall once seeing a clone shaft though, a clone of the Aldila NV that was called the "Envy" shaft, they even took the design and colour scheme away. Think it was in a clone ping driver 12 months or so ago. Dunno how that one played :lol: :lol:

Pete

andylo
8th November 2005, 03:27 PM
a big benefit of getting the clones from Ben would be that you'd get good shafts installed, and they'd probably be fitted to your swing as well .... so you should hit them well from the start  8)

are you seeing Ben in person to get them fitted  :?:

If you get Ben fitter, you will get more than that...

Consistent weighted head thru and consistent shaft flex thru out the set, get to play with that laser launchy, quality service and a lecture about TaylorMade's (crap) products :lol:

Fishman Dan
8th November 2005, 07:02 PM
Is this why no one on the Asian Tour really cuts it in other tours?

markTHEblake
8th November 2005, 08:07 PM
if you wanna buy clubs that have incorrect lofts and poorly matched shafts, odd lie angles, and screwed up swing weights get the OEM clubs.

Deano
8th November 2005, 08:16 PM
Nothing wrong with Hireko's Acer line of clubs imho.

You've got the right idea in getting Ben to fit 'em for you. :wink:

I wouldn't worry about resale either.In very general terms
you could blow 50%(easy)over 12 months on a $1000 set of OEM's.

In 12 months I'd be shocked if you lost $500 on a set of Acer's. :wink:

YMMV.

Deano

Virgal_Tracy
9th November 2005, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately won't be getting Ben to fit them but will have the next best thing in having Gary fit them.

I'm convinced that I should get them now just have to convince significant other that they are a better club for my game than the Ping i3 blades presently playing.

Shouldn't be too hard a sell although the argument will come up that I have knocked 6 strokes off the handicap with the i3's which she coincidentally bought for me as an engagement present.

3oneday
9th November 2005, 03:22 PM
Shouldn't be too hard a sell although the argument will come up that I have knocked 6 strokes off the handicap with the i3's which she coincidentally bought for me as an engagement present.yes dear, these have been great. They have got me this far and these new ones will help me take that next step :wink: 8)

Good luck....

Pete

Jono
9th November 2005, 03:27 PM
Before I got my set of Oxygens, I demoed Gary's and had a hit of it, side by side, at the range with the demo Ping G2's. You'd think that the original would be better than the copy, but the Oxygens felt better and gave me better results. And they're less than half the price of the Pings. It wasn't a hard decision, really. 8)

If you want to demo the Oxygens, it's worth a trip to Gary's shop and having a go of his. I'm sure he'll lend you a couple of irons. BTW, Gary hits these a long way. Had 215 meters out on a par 5 at Bayview and he got pin high with the 3 iron. Bloody hell ... :roll: :lol:

McMw
9th November 2005, 06:52 PM
irons wouldn't be a problem...

it's the woods that will be...

Jono
9th November 2005, 07:18 PM
irons wouldn't be a problem...

it's the woods that will be...

Might be onto something there, Mau. I've had much better strike rate with OEM woods than components. That's including quality components like Wishon, Nakashima, etc. That seems to be the case for putters as well.

Jono
9th November 2005, 07:22 PM
Pete

Are you saying those of us who play clones have no egos? :shock: :lol:

Isn't it funny how you turn a "W" for Wishon upside down to make it an "M" for Mizuno, and the street cred goes up by 300%? :?

3oneday
9th November 2005, 08:54 PM
Pete

Are you saying those of us who play clones have no egos?  :shock:   :lol:
:?there are always exceptions Jono :wink:

:lol: :lol:

The W for M thing has some cred though, funny stuff hey !!!

Pete

BrisWesty
18th November 2005, 08:26 PM
Virgal,
I'm really happy with my Oxygen Type S irons. Nothing to worry about with them as a purchase. They feel solid and consistent (if only that was the case for me) :wink:. I got fitted at Alternative Golf in Brisbane. Given they cost less than $500 for 3I - PW it would be difficult to lose $500 value in 2 years or 20 years. I also got the high launch for the 3 and 4 irons (really sweet).
Ego! Am I going to score 3x better by buying clubs that are 3x more expensive? Naaahhh, otherwise watch out for a round of 28-30 for 18 holes.

Virgal_Tracy
2nd December 2005, 02:07 PM
While having a putter shafted yesterday by Gary, we were talking about the clone vs OEM argument. He has been playing a set of the Oxygen S's and is going out this weekend to try out a set of X-18 clones.

We both tend to agree with Westy in that you are not going to score 2-3 times better by paying 2-3 times more.

I know in Sydney that Jono and now TS are both playing with the Oxygen's so it appears that the clones are starting to receive some love.

Gary is going to do up a demo of the XP Hollows for me to try out and then maybe a clone of the X Tours. Seems to me to be a great way to try out clubs before buying them.

990B Luva
13th December 2005, 06:55 PM
i have hit a set of the X18 clones and couldnt tell the difference, the only thing that is stopping me from getting something like that is $$$, i dont have much

Dazza
5th April 2008, 10:20 PM
Sorry for digging up an old thread. No point starting a new bugger!

Has anyone had any experience with the Callaway, Nike and Taylormade driver clones that seem to be on Ebay all the time?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-SQUARE-460cc-CUSTOM-DRIVER-GOLF-CLUBS-LONG-DRIVERS_W0QQitemZ290220236470QQihZ019QQcategoryZ11 5280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-2007-CUSTOM-YELLOW-SV2-SQUARE-GOLF-CLUBS-DRIVERS_W0QQitemZ130211040381QQihZ003QQcategoryZ11 5280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-T7-460cc-TITANIUM-DRIVER-R-H-9-5-FREE-H-Cover_W0QQitemZ320235898696QQihZ011QQcategoryZ1515 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

Dazza

PeteyD
5th April 2008, 10:52 PM
I had a T7 once. Was pretty crap. Hang around ehre long enough and you'll get name stuff for a similar price.