PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on wedges..

Waddzy
31st January 2013, 11:08 AM
Hey all ,

Im currently using my normal irons 5-SW razr blacks bent 2 deg upright with 1/2 longer shafts , also playing a 58* raw cally jaws wedge.

Was thinking of getting and playing a 52* , my 58* and a 64* and dropping my SW from my set as it will most likely not be needed.

As im still fairly new to all this was wondering what others are gaming from their PW down and possibly point in the direction of a good set of wedges priced decently. ( not sure what ill be up for cost wise)

Cheers.

Iain
31st January 2013, 11:40 AM
If you are only new to golf, I wouldn't think about trying to play a 64° wedge.

popper81
31st January 2013, 11:43 AM
Iain is correct..... In the hand of the wrong person, a 64* wedge will cost you plenty more shots than it will save you. You can get plenty of loft with a 58* anyway.

Dangals
31st January 2013, 12:01 PM
agreed - I play a 52/58 combo and I can open the 58 if I want more loft. I used to use a 64 but only from bunkers as from anywhere else it was nerve racking that if you didn't hit it perfectly it either just flopped a few feet in front of you or it skinnied across the green into bunker/hazard etc... it will also come down to the loft of your SW in the set as you may find a different combo of wedges may suit you better.

mrbluu
31st January 2013, 12:29 PM
Personally if find 6* is too much in terms of gap for wedges. I carry 50/54/58, this gives me a good 15m gap all the way down from PW. It will really depend on what shot you can play with each club and how far you can hit them.

Waddzy
31st January 2013, 12:34 PM
50 and a 54 may be the way to go so I can keep my 58* rolling. as I can open that up also for a flop type shot. I managed to pick my 58* up cheap from the pro shop as someone complained about it rusting.. even though its a rusty... haha what would a 50 and 54 set me back on average? and any suggestions on some brands , I wouldnt mind keeping in set with the callys but bit worried about prices there.

Dotty
31st January 2013, 01:51 PM
Waddzy, do you have a RAZR Black gap wedge? Being Callaway, it would be numbered 'A'.

If not, keep using what you already have and buy one.

Your 58* is for tricky shots around the green, such as close pins or going over bunkers. The RAZR Blacks for everything else, including pitch-and-run.

I did this four months ago and it got me back down to 8. (I've still got sets of fancy wedges, but keep going back to the wedges that match my irons.)

Waddzy
31st January 2013, 02:00 PM
Dotty,

I dont have the gap wedge but also didnt realise you could get these .. have always wondered what the A meant on some clubs but never really wanted to ask.. Ill head in to see the pro that I currently get my lessons from and also fitted my clubs and ordered them for me and see if he can order me one in.. I would like that alot as I have no problem with my clubs at the moment just feel like I am lacking an option between my current SW and PW .. Which often puts me in trouble with 3/4 swings etc..

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Dotty
31st January 2013, 02:07 PM
Sounds good. I use the gap wedge a lot, when off the green and outside putting distance. Just try to land it midway to the hole, and it rolls the rest of the way.

The A generally stands for Approach Wedge.

Waddzy
31st January 2013, 02:22 PM
I currently use my 58* for most shots around the green and even some bunker shots with close pins aswell as a full open stance swing from 75 out as it comes down and stops dead or hitting a slight decline green rolls back a couple of feet. So generally the A wedge will be around the 49-50* mark I would guess? As i know my PW was 44 and SW 54 but all my clubs are bent 2 deg upright which changes it possibly?

aym
1st February 2013, 05:15 PM
I used to have PW-50-54-60 as the last 4 clubs... now I've ditched the 50 and found it much better, I spend less time debating with myself if I should hit a soft 50 or a hard 54.. now I just put the ball back a bit or use the PW...

Hatchman
1st February 2013, 09:15 PM
Wedges are the scoring sticks. Play them well and you can save a score and make a score.

My 12yr old Cleveland rusty's are the best sticks I have ever bought. I got them new 12yrs ago and they've seen 5 iron set changes.
I have a 48°, 54° and 60° all low bounce. I do the bulk of my chipping and pitching with the 48° and use the 56° when I have less room to play with. I can play a variety of shots with both from fairway, rough, hard pan and soft dirt lies. With some disciplined practice I developed fairly good distance control with the 48° and 54°. I played the 54° as my sand iron.

The 60° was only used for extreme/desperate shots. That club was very hit and miss. I was capable of 3 shots. The great shot, the exercit missile blade or the T.I.S shot (two inch shot). I've recently ousted the 60° from the bag for a 5 wood. I have more call to use this club.

Shortylook
1st February 2013, 10:11 PM
Wish I had of asked before I got my wedges, I can't play them for shit lol and I get told on a regular basis by the fellas I play with. Their all like, just an 8i chip and run not that wedge crap. I'm all like na I need to learn the close in chip and back spin game. Hmm every time it flies 10 meters past the green from about 5 meters out, I hear their giggle and the usual I told you so. Old bastards lol

mrbluu
1st February 2013, 10:19 PM
50 and a 54 may be the way to go so I can keep my 58* rolling. as I can open that up also for a flop type shot. I managed to pick my 58* up cheap from the pro shop as someone complained about it rusting.. even though its a rusty... haha what would a 50 and 54 set me back on average? and any suggestions on some brands , I wouldnt mind keeping in set with the callys but bit worried about prices there.

I picked up a set of CG15 from GCO, for about $50 each and I went for mid bounce. I did spend some extra getting better shafts put in them. I couldn't be happier. Since I get them my handicap has dropped from about 9 to 5. A lot of that is the wedge play and having a consistent gap.

If you are after Cally's then post a wanted thread or keep an eye out for stuff in the proshop.

Good luck, and enjoy the journey of finding out what bounce and loft of wedges that suit you.

Nut
2nd February 2013, 12:24 AM
Agreed. A 58* or lower should only be for specific occasional shots, and shots you know you can hit at that. If you're a higher handicapper don't even worry about anything over 54* as chances are it will come off bad. I'm not saying don't buy one, but practice learning how to hit it first. It's not a "bread and butter" club. As a mid single figure handicapper I would pull out the 58* Cleveland 588 once in every 3 rounds on average. Learn to be versatile with other chip shots first.