PDA

View Full Version : Goosen's Red Hot Putter

MatthewM
21st June 2004, 09:27 PM
A coach of mine often uses a stat where he adds the feet of putts sunk, over all 18 holes, as a measure of putting performance.

If for example you have a guy knocking it close, but not making putts, he has 18 one footers on his card, therefore measures 18 feet. He's not enjoyed a productive scoring day on the greens.

If however he makes a few snakes and is solid over a handful of six to eight footers, the measure goes up to 70, 80 or 90 feet.

The coach's record is somewhere around 150feet over 18 holes.

I've tried to add it up (from memory) and will go back to the tape to confirm, but Goosen looks like he sunk around 200 feet of putts.

On those greens, at that speed, in the final round of a US Open - such a putting effort is nigh on incredible. Lefty will be upset he didn't win, but he will reel in amazement when he sees what Goosen did when he checks the tapes.

MM

Fishman Dan
21st June 2004, 09:34 PM
I sink over 200 foot of putts every weekend.

10' away, rolls 5' past.
5' back to the hole, roll 3' past.
Knock that in the heart - there's 26' right there, and that's just one hole ;)

MatthewM
21st June 2004, 09:44 PM
One other thing I forgot to mention.

Radio SEN did an interview with Allenby today, when he was driving to JFK Airport from Shinnecock Hills. He said 2 things that amazed me.

The first was that he feels his par 70 was the best round he has EVER played. The second is that he said he was nervous with uphill ten footers, because he thought he might have a six foot downhill putt back!

Scary.

MM

McMw
21st June 2004, 09:59 PM
it's a pity he bogeyed the last hole for the 70, coz he could (maybe) have been part of shinnecock folklore... 8)

Fishman Dan
21st June 2004, 10:45 PM
On a TV interview he said that round was -6 or -7 anywhere else in the world, and you can believe it.

McMw
21st June 2004, 11:26 PM
I think it's safe to say that it was a -8 or -9 round... :lol:

off topic slightly - I've never seen Nick Price move so fast to his ball after putting!!! :lol:

Jarro
22nd June 2004, 04:32 AM
speaking of Nick Price .... i'm sure i heard somebody on the coverage say the he is leading the putting averages on tour at the moment :shock:

Eag's
22nd June 2004, 08:01 AM
Yep heard that to jarro.
You would think with his ball striking, he would of been in contention more times this year :?:
Funny how stats pan out at times :?