PDA

View Full Version : Golf Shoes are a crock.

virge666
28th January 2013, 05:56 PM
Gentlemen.

I put it too you that golf shoes are a crock of shite. A marketing myth if you like. A total and utter waste of uncomfortable, toe squishing money.

My last 6 games have been played wearing pair of ASICS Kayano running shoes. Albeit in dry conditions and I have yet to shoot over 76.

I will concede in wet conditions - shoes of better water proofing may be required and even may move up to a pair of the comfy ECCO golf shoes... but the days of stupidly hard sole with spike are and should be numbered.

As for the power issue... I am not exactly a short hitter, I am also not stupidly long, I have not had a slipping issue. On the 10th at Mona Vale yesterday, my drive went 321m and left me 152 into the par 5. (Yeah, elevated tee, a bit of wind behind, and maybe three sprinkler heads :) )

Your thoughts ?

sms316
28th January 2013, 05:59 PM
According to those in the know at Acushnet, ripple soles slip less than spikes in all bar one condition (pine straw). So yes, the days of spikes are numbered.

Jarro
I couldn't wear shoes ..... i need more grip.

Captain Nemo
You've been drinking too much over the long weekend, that's my thought!
:lol:

Veefore
28th January 2013, 06:00 PM
I played all last summer in sneakers.

This year I have golf shoes that are just as comfortable but don't get damp inside with the morning dew.
I'm not a hard swinger but in winter, on wet, sometimes slimy surfaces, the grip of the spikes is the only thing that keeps me up, looking down. Rather than down on the ground looking up.

If you buy uncomfortable shoes, it doesn't matter what purpose is written on the box, they aint gonna be no good.

live4golf
28th January 2013, 06:02 PM
Practicing for the debating club?

As long as your feet stick to the shoe and the show sticks to the ground, anything works.

Yossarian
28th January 2013, 06:02 PM
I agree and my range videos in which I am barefoot and schmoking it are living proof. Why enslave your feet people, let them be free like the buffalo.

Ferrins
28th January 2013, 06:09 PM
I prefer Birkenstock clogs.

backintheswing
28th January 2013, 06:10 PM
I have been wearing the Adidas Puremotion spikeless shoes for about 2 months. No slips here either in about 20 games.

jd_FRANK
28th January 2013, 06:15 PM
I have been wearing the Adidas Puremotion spikeless shoes for about 2 months. No slips here either in about 20 games.

I have these as well, easily the most comfortable golf shoes I have ever worn and non problems with grip at all

TheNuclearOne
28th January 2013, 06:24 PM
That's just your sublime balance Virge.

AndyP
28th January 2013, 06:36 PM
I wore sneakers only for two years without issues. Buggered if I know why I went back to golf shoes. Must have been the wet.

Dotty
28th January 2013, 06:41 PM
152m out on MV 10th is nothing to boast about. Even I can drive it to 120m out.

But that's a mighty drive on the 11th, though. :)

I find no difference hitting golf balls, wearing golf shoes, sandshoes and school shoes (ROC school shoes are tougher than Florsheim and JM). But FJ Contours are the most comfortable shoes I own (on par with Salomon trail shoes) and the most waterproof for 7am games.

mrbluu
28th January 2013, 06:42 PM
I think if you are not shooting over 76 and hitting it 320m (wind or no wind) you can play in whatever you want.

Courty
28th January 2013, 06:45 PM
This thread needs to be referred to Lefty for advice on how sneakers fit in the fashionable golfers repertoire. ;)

AndyP
28th January 2013, 06:55 PM
Can you get black sneakers that don't look like school shoes?

Courty
28th January 2013, 06:57 PM
Can you get black sneakers that don't look like school shoes?

Try Eastbay.com

Cosmopolite
28th January 2013, 07:00 PM
I played with a lady a few weeks ago who wore Vibram's five fingers 'shoes'. she swore by them and reckoned they were great to play golf in. looked weird though.

AndyP
28th January 2013, 07:01 PM
That's minimalist.

Ronny
28th January 2013, 07:10 PM
Might need some clothing recommendations from Lefty for these!

http://www.drummondgolf.com.au/puma-faas-grip-spikeless-golf-shoes-1.html

Courty
28th January 2013, 07:10 PM
I saw somewhere recently that there are some golf-specific Vibram's about to be released.

AndyP
28th January 2013, 07:12 PM
Are there any non-shoe manufacturer studies on this?

markTHEblake
28th January 2013, 07:22 PM
My back foot slips around too much, I fall over if I do not have super grippy shoes.

Toolish
28th January 2013, 07:26 PM
Best golfer in the district here never wears golf shoes, handicap varies betweeen +2 and +4. I think for the better golfers with better balance it is not such a big deal.

THe main issue I have had playing in sneakers is the amount of drop.

My golf shoes and super comfy though so I will keep wearing them.

Johnny Canuck
28th January 2013, 08:38 PM
I have played a few praccy rounds in casuals and never slipped. If anything, it helps ensure that I swing smoothly.

virge666
28th January 2013, 09:02 PM
If you buy uncomfortable shoes, it doesn't matter what purpose is written on the box, they aint gonna be no good.

I have comfy golf shoes... but still not as comfy as my runners.

That's just your sublime balance Virge.

Yep - that HAS to be it. :)

I wore sneakers only for two years without issues. Buggered if I know why I went back to golf shoes. Must have been the wet.

I am with you on the wet grass, event if you just think you may slip... it is worth it.

152m out on MV 10th is nothing to boast about. Even I can drive it to 120m out.

But that's a mighty drive on the 11th, though. :)

Oops - yep, the 11th, still no idea how it went that far, I have never hit it that far in my life... EVER.

I think if you are not shooting over 76 and hitting it 320m (wind or no wind) you can play in whatever you want.

It was more a dig at Razzar with his wacky idea about a feet controlled power or something stupid like that. :) Sorry Ray, the legs are not a power source... never have been

This thread needs to be referred to Lefty for advice on how sneakers fit in the fashionable golfers repertoire. ;)

Best comment yet... Everyone on tour seems to have those yellow Adidas shoes. Maybe I need them in a sneaker.

LarryLong
28th January 2013, 11:17 PM
I've played three nine-hole practice rounds barefoot recently with no noticeable difference. I only slipped once, and that drive went straight and reasonably long anyway. Forget traction, it's all about proprioception, man. :)

I usually play in True Linkswear shoes (spikeless, no problem) and have also played in FiveFingers. No worries, and my weight transfer sucks serious balls. Spikes are massively over-rated.

Shadesy
28th January 2013, 11:23 PM
Surely if you were suspended off the floor you would not hit it as far?

Ergo... Your legs have to be a power source?

PeteyD
29th January 2013, 12:45 AM
Your legs give you leverage off the big ball. this is not a power source.

Puji
29th January 2013, 12:48 AM
Agree with Virge.

But I like the grounded feeling. Gives me confidence.

So I'll keep using my shoes.

TheAwesom1
29th January 2013, 12:55 AM
The Arnold Palmer Basketball Shoe

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MElFxKdL6T0/T_8Zox1g_dI/AAAAAAAACQg/1LSfCaHCc50/s1600/lebroninsert.jpg

Here's something you don't see everyday: LeBron James (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3704) named the latest version of his Nike basketball shoe line after Arnold Palmer. This really happened, folks. James, who's coming off his first NBA championship with the Heat, tweeted a photo earlier in the week of a shoe he called the (https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/222847800323489792) LeBronold Palmer 9 lows.
We're not sure what Mr. Palmer would think of the shoe, but it definitely has a Florida vibe to it with the palm trees and pastel colors. Not only that, James put a picture of Arnold Palmer's signature drink (http://www.arnoldpalmertee.com/) -- 1/2 lemonade and 1/2 iced tea -- on the insole of the shoe. What a nice guy.
Nike has yet to confirm if these shoes are going mainstream, but if they do, might we suggest they come in a soft spike model? It'd be a shame to name a shoe after Arnold Palmer and not make a model for the course.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/lebron-james-nike-shoe-design-honors-arnold-palmer-180506908--golf.html

Pencil
29th January 2013, 02:06 AM
I have spike less Adidas golf shoes now buy played for a few months before getting them in lace less slip on Chuck Taylors. Never worried apart from getting wet feet occasionally. That is the reason I wear the spikeless versions now.

Courty
29th January 2013, 07:16 AM
Best comment yet... Everyone on tour seems to have those yellow Adidas shoes. Maybe I need them in a sneaker.

Click (http://shop.vendio.com/harder/category/145/). You're welcome. 8)

wazandnic
29th January 2013, 09:30 AM
I've used a lite footjoy sneaker style shoe for a few years now, much more comfortable IMO than those hard leather style. Main advantage these have over joggers as mentioned a few times above is they are better at stopping the feet getting wet. I have been to the park often in joggers to practice and slightest bit of wet and your feet are sog. No issues if it is a dry summers day though.

PeteyD
29th January 2013, 09:47 AM
I just got some sneaker style footjoys for xmas and they are pretty good.

markTHEblake
29th January 2013, 11:26 AM
Some of you blokes have a hell of a lot more downward pressure on your feet than me. The spikeless shoes can't suit everyone.

But in saying that I occasionally lose my back foot grip in the downswing, and I don't know what I do to compensate but both feet seem to be off the ground at impact and I hit it miles.

Puji
29th January 2013, 11:36 AM
Some of you blokes have a hell of a lot more downward pressure on your feet than me. The spikeless shoes can't suit everyone.

But in saying that I occasionally lose my back foot grip in the downswing, and I don't know what I do to compensate but both feet seem to be off the ground at impact and I hit it miles.

Bubba styles?

Dotty
29th January 2013, 12:02 PM
Bubba styles?
Grunt style.

s12raider
6th February 2013, 09:35 PM
Played a nine in muckboots - being a good kiwi I only had these after working on the farm. Looked like a cocky but no slipping or anything, mind you the weigh a bit like old school diving boots.

Haystacks
6th February 2013, 09:41 PM
WTF are muckboots??? Are they the opposite to jandals?

PeteyD
6th February 2013, 09:43 PM
Something to aid in catching sheep?

Daves
6th February 2013, 09:43 PM

Gumboots I would suggest.

bergsey
6th February 2013, 11:05 PM
Something to aid in catching sheep? You tuck the hind legs into them ;)

mrbluu
6th February 2013, 11:21 PM
Played a nine in muckboots - being a good kiwi I only had these after working on the farm. Looked like a cocky but no slipping or anything, mind you the weigh a bit like old school diving boots.

What ever they are I bet they are choice bro.....

mrbluu
6th February 2013, 11:24 PM
I just remembered one of the old blokes at my home club wears Crocs and swears by them....best value for money golf shoes ever!!!

razaar
7th February 2013, 02:26 AM
http://www.markbullgolf.co.uk/download/Article-WeightTransference2.pdf

matty
7th February 2013, 07:18 AM
Been using FJ Contours for a couple of months. No more sore feet. Have only worn the old golf shoes once during a big wet and that was only because the contours are white. Haven't slipped either.

+1 for the legs being a power source, albeit not the biggest.