PDA

View Full Version : GPS, range finders or posts in the ground ?

Waddzy
17th January 2013, 09:01 PM
Hey all ,

As I am still very new to this great game I'm just wondering how many of you all use GPS or range finders , do they really help that much ? The price tags on them leads me to hope they do very much so .

If you do use them , GPS or range finder better suited to the learning golfer ?

matty
17th January 2013, 09:28 PM
I'd say GPS when learning as you'll spend a bit more time on other fairways and often won't see the pin or the green clearly. Once you improve and spend more time on the right fairway you'll become mainly interested in distances to the pin. Then get the rangefinder.

mrbluu
17th January 2013, 09:29 PM
I've got both and the Laser win hands down. Get something with pinseeker technology and you'll be set. I think the laser saves me at least 3-4 shots a round.

Waddzy
17th January 2013, 09:33 PM
Any suggestions on brands etc ? Not sure I've also seen those iPhone GPS apps , in particular golfshot ? Anyone had experience using these ??

AndyP
17th January 2013, 09:35 PM
You can't use the iPhone GPS app in a comp, Waddzy.

jaybam
17th January 2013, 09:36 PM
Illegal to use your iPhone on the course

Waddzy
17th January 2013, 09:42 PM
Fair call , haven't played comp yet ( this weekend first round hopefully) but good to know, so normal gps is fine but ? Range finders are the best way to work out club distances too right?

3Puttpete
17th January 2013, 09:43 PM
I'd say GPS when learning as you'll spend a bit more time on other fairways and often won't see the pin or the green clearly. Once you improve and spend more time on the right fairway you'll become mainly interested in distances to the pin. Then get the rangefinder. This! I like my golf course and often view holes from unconventional angles and the GPS is great.

mrbluu
17th January 2013, 09:47 PM
I've used the phone apps as well the r ok cos the r free. If u r going to get a GPS, then I would get the cheapest GPS ie sureshot or Bushnell that u don't have to pay yearly subscriptions. Go get a range finder like the Bushnell v2 when u play a little more.

sms316
17th January 2013, 09:51 PM
GPS is plenty accurate enough. 99% of golfers aren't good enough to be more accurate than what a GPS can tell them. Myself included.

mike
17th January 2013, 09:52 PM
You can't use the iPhone GPS app in a comp, Waddzy.

Illegal to use your iPhone on the courseAh, my favourite topic.

mike
17th January 2013, 09:54 PM
Only time I feel the need to use a GPS is if I'm on the wrong fairway or need a lay up distance. Otherwise the distance markers are all I need.

markTHEblake
17th January 2013, 10:08 PM
All are great tools to have but as you are a beginner I think there are a lot of better ways to focus your attention on to improve. Mainly because with the scores you are shooting distance control is the least of your concerns.

And you should read books, lots of books.

mrbluu
17th January 2013, 10:16 PM
Illegal to use your iPhone on the course

As I understand that is true cos you can get compass apps and weather you the direction of a hole and wind conditions which is illegal, however a lot of places I've played they have made local rules allowing the use of phones as a gps as long as you don't use the other features of your phone and have it turned down.

GPS is plenty accurate enough. 99% of golfers aren't good enough to be more accurate than what a GPS can tell them. Myself included.

I agree with this first bit in theory but, GPS's are too dependant on how and who has marked the course. The second bit not so much as I feel that most golfers who have been playing for a while should have a pretty good understanding of how far they hit each club and should strive for more accurate, especially inside 140m. (I think that makes sense)

I've found with the GPS that I've used and my friends have owned there are always a few holes on the golf every golf course I've played that it would be about 10-15m out, even taking into account front, middle and back readings. For example there was a hole where we were playing our 3rd shots into a par 5. The pin was at the back, the GPS said 125m to the middle and 140m to the back. Taking into the pin position I thought 135m to the flag. When I lasered it was only 127m. Now that 8m might not seem like a lot but was the difference between hitting a stock 9iron or a punch 8iron. If I played it at 135m I would have flown the green, or the difference between a realistic birdie chance or having to try to get up and down for par.

Only time I feel the need to use a GPS is if I'm on the wrong fairway or need a lay up distance.

This is where I find the GPS most useful.

AndyP
17th January 2013, 10:24 PM
Let's not make this yet another iPhone GPS app legality thread and confuse Waddzy.

Waddzy
17th January 2013, 10:34 PM
Turned into an interesting topic , I'm thinking I might get a garmin g3 for the price it's worth even testing if it actually helps , I know this will now be pushing into a new topic but can someone point me to a good golfing book thread as I've now had a lot of people telling me to read these but never specific in which ones ! Man I love this site so many people readily helping / answering each others questions along with the must have sledging in the upcoming match forums...

markTHEblake
17th January 2013, 10:50 PM
golf My way - Jack Nicklaus.
Best golf book ever. Got lots of pitchas in it so even Perci can understand it.

Waddzy
17th January 2013, 10:54 PM
I'm guessing that's a dig at someone on these forumsn:lol: but thanks mate ill have a look for that one online

markTHEblake
17th January 2013, 11:11 PM
Its ok, he cant read so he will never know I said it

idgolfguy
18th January 2013, 12:28 AM
golf My way - Jack Nicklaus.
Best golf book ever. Got lots of pitchas in it so even Perci can understand it.
You can even get it on Kindle!

Chapzzzz
18th January 2013, 10:33 PM
For my .02 go for the Hybrid Range Finder / GPS by Bushnell
Best of both worlds.

I find I use the Laser most of the time.
GPS really only when I'm out of sight of the pin usually in the rough or trees.

Cheers
Chapzzzz

AndyP
18th January 2013, 10:36 PM
I ordered the Bushnell Hybrid yesterday, but have survived with a GPS just fine until now. I don't plan to shoot at pins because of it, but will use it to get a more accurate reading that I can trust, as the GPS has not been 100% reliable.

Webster
18th January 2013, 10:42 PM
GPS is fine for most people. If you aren't an elite amateur, then you dont need a Bushnell.

mrbluu
19th January 2013, 07:38 AM
GPS is fine for most people. If you aren't an elite amateur, then you dont need a Bushnell.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Everyone playing the game of golf can benefit from having more accurate distances to the greens and flags!!